Page 10 of 103 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's Timmy Todd from TNBA

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    "Drake is described as a streetwise kid who’s managed to grow up on the toughest streets without losing his indelible belief in heroism. His easy-going demeanor is backed up by a near-genius mind, a natural detective with a perception of detail far beyond his years."

This description doesn't sound like Jason to me. Just because he grew up in the streets doesn't mean that he is out there stealing tires.
    The “street-wise kid” from the “toughest streets” part is what I think sets off alarm bells - most people would associate that particular part with Jason. It’s not even really a Duke trait, I think, since I don’t remember his background having as much of a “crime-ridden streets” detail to it (I could be wrong, since I’m only remembering Batman: Endgame vaguely). And clearly the worst case scenario is we’re seeing soemthing like what New 52 Wally saw, where someone decides to make a traditionally white character black... and then immediately has the deeply problematic impulse to go “Street Kid! Broken home! Ghetto!”

So I feel like the details are what we should really wait for to see how this goes - whether this Tim still has his parents like when he first appeared, whether his parents have disappeared and gone missing due to Gotham’s rogues like Duke, or whether we’re in trouble and he’s just an automatic orphan.

Arguably, the best case scenario would be to have both his parents alive when introduced, and have his “streetwise” persona resemble more his competence and independence that Tim and Duke could show when their parents were still alive/present.

Another character trait that would matter to me would be how he interacts with girls, though. Because I’d argue Tim being a largely innocent chick magnet who isn’t naturally suave, doesn’t try to hit on girls, and can accidentally gain a girl’s attention just by being a polite, dorky and good hearted gentleman for his age. It’s usually an important component of the character’s humorous moments and a strong contrast with Dick.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It’s not even really a Duke trait, I think, since I don’t remember his background having as much of a “crime-ridden streets” detail to it (I could be wrong, since I’m only remembering Batman: Endgame vaguely).
    With Duke it is a little unclear, it was said that he is from the Narrow, but in Flashbacks that we see of him and his parents it doesn't really seem like it. At least he wasn't a Street kid and didn't came from a broken home.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-30-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    With Duke it is a little unclear, it was said that he is from the Narrow, but in Flashbacks that we seem of him and his parents it doesn't really like it. At least he wasn't a Street kid and didn't came from a broken home.
    He seemed pretty middle-class from all the glimpses into his normal life pre-Endgame.

Can’t say I’m surprised by this. Titans is the type of show where everyone must suffer and be plagued by their inner anguish. No way were we getting Dixon-era Tim.

The “street-wise kid” from the “toughest streets” part is what I think sets off alarm bells - most people would associate that particular part with Jason. It’s not even really a Duke trait,
    That's not the part that makes him sound like Duke.

"his indelible belief in heroism. His easy-going demeanor is backed up by a near-genius mind, a natural detective with a perception of detail far beyond his years."

This paragraph is what reminds one of Duke. That pretty much sums up Duke. I guess some might see him as a street-wise city kid but what comes across when we were 1st introduced to Duke [and what we see in other stories featuring the character] is the hero Drako's post described.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    Can’t say I’m surprised by this. Titans is the type of show where everyone must suffer and be plagued by their inner anguish. No way were we getting Dixon-era Tim.
    While I do like the show it is awful damn angsty. Which is not how Tim should be. DC made a wrong turn for a while with Identity Crisis on that. Went the right way in the Red Robin book. Then f'd it up for different reaons in New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

"his indelible belief in heroism. His easy-going demeanor is backed up by a near-genius mind, a natural detective with a perception of detail far beyond his years."

This paragraph is what reminds one of Duke. That pretty much sums up Duke. I guess some might see him as a street-wise city kid but what comes across when we were 1st introduced to Duke [and what we see in other stories featuring the character] is the hero Drako's post described.
    The second half describes Tim. Though he's probably considered a genius at this point.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

It describes both, Duke had in the beginning a lot of similarities with Tim in his early days.

But "easy-going" doesn't really fit with Tim or Duke imo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It describes both, Duke had in the beginning a lot of similarities with Tim in his early days.

But "easy-going" doesn't really fit with Tim or Duke imo.
    If “easy-going” means “not hot-blooded”, than it could work for either, but Tim’s neurotic and Duke’s passionate, so it would be odd regardless. Maybe it’s some hyperbole to contrast with the show’s very hot-blooded and aggressive Jason?

And yeah, the description fits early Tim and Duke better than later Tim and Duke - and has nothing in common with, say, New 52 Tim, who was a banal and arrogant broadly characterized archetype from Scott Lobdell’s mistake of a Teen Titans book.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Titans show is not perfect but it's enjoyable.
    I'm not fond of race shift for established characters and much less for borrowing others origin traits.
    Anyway I'm happy that DC reminded of the existence of my boy and, if they will be able to capture the real essence of the character, I'll be more.
    I'm really doubtful about it. Time will tell.

Another character trait that would matter to me would be how he interacts with girls, though. Because I’d argue Tim being a largely innocent chick magnet who isn’t naturally suave, doesn’t try to hit on girls, and can accidentally gain a girl’s attention just by being a polite, dorky and good hearted gentleman for his age. It’s usually an important component of the character’s humorous moments and a strong contrast with Dick.
    This could be a good point!
    Last edited by failo.legendkiller; 02-02-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Some of you guys need to go back and revisit Tim's early days. He was never near genius nor was he easy-going.

At this point it feels like the powers are more invested in the name Tim Drake than the actual character.
    The name is a draw but the character itself needs work, has to be augmented modified in someway before serving him up to the general non comic reading public.

Titans Duke Drake
    Btas Timmy Todd
    AK's Tim Shady
    Gotham Knights ridiculous CSI Drake wearing Damian's skin.

YJ is accurate enough though.

Anyway, Jay is a good actor and is very likable. Charismatic so I'm certain that he'll give a good performance accurate or not.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-02-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Lol. This is delusional and I am by no means the biggest Tim fan
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Some of you guys need to go back and revisit Tim's early days. He was never near genius nor was he easy-going.

At this point it feels like the powers are more invested in the name Tim Drake than the actual character.
    The name is a draw but the character itself needs work, has to be augmented modified in someway before serving him up to the general non comic reading public.

Titans Duke Drake
    Btas Timmy Todd
    AK's Tim Shady

Anyway, Jay is a good actor and is very likable. Charismatic so I'm certain that he'll give a good performance accurate or not.
    Titans - Timos Todd

Extraordinary Member

Titans Duke Drake
    Btas Timmy Todd
    AK's Tim Shady

Tim figured out who the Batfamily were through detective skills, outfoxed the deadliest male martial artists in the world on that guy’s advantageous home turf, and remained a genius-level detective through his own solo and Young Justice, where he also doubled as the mature-yet-mellow manager of the kind of crazy personalities that made that team up.

Tim was a genius and likably mellow - a clever genius as opposed to a mechanical genius, and a mature kind of mellow as opposed to fun-loving.

New 52 Tim being dumb and being an immature idiot in a crappy Scott Lobdell is what hurt him.

Incredible Member

Well at least something’s happening for the character.