Page 11 of 103 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcrusade25 View Post
    Well at least something’s happening for the character.
    It's actually surprising to me Tim has more going on in outside media (Gotham Knights/Titans), then he does in comics. I thought it would have been reversed

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrustyKid View Post
    It's actually surprising to me Tim has more going on in outside media (Gotham Knights/Titans), then he does in comics. I thought it would have been reversed
    Tim has the "luck" to be the Robin by discard. The first options for Robin in outside media are usually Dick or Damian, but Tim is the option when they won't use these two.

In comics, characters like Barbara and Jason have lost the solos. It isn't surprised Tim will have problems to appear too.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Tim has the "luck" to be the Robin by discard. The first options for Robin in outside media are usually Dick or Damian, but Tim is the option when they won't use these two.

In comics, characters like Barbara and Jason have lost the solos. It isn't surprised Tim will have problems to appear too.
    I thought game developer want to use Tim because by characterization he's the most suited for their story?
    But I see your point. Tim origin directly related to Dick and Jason makes him hard to be portrayed on outside media, unlike Dick or Damian. Tim appearance on outside media is usually accompanied by Nightwing Dick, so the viewer can see a kid in Robin costume and think, ah there's Dick as Nightwing, so that means this Robin is Tim. Whereas Damian can appear without any mention of his Robin predecessor and people can still acknowledge him as Robin named Damian (Harley Quinn show, Superhero Girls, Batman vs TMNT).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    I thought game developer want to use Tim because by characterization he's the most suited for their story?
    But I see your point. Tim origin directly related to Dick and Jason makes him hard to be portrayed on outside media, unlike Dick or Damian. Tim appearance on outside media is usually accompanied by Nightwing Dick, so the viewer can see a kid in Robin costume and think, ah there's Dick as Nightwing, so that means this Robin is Tim. Whereas Damian can appear without any mention of his Robin predecessor and people can still acknowledge him as Robin named Damian (Harley Quinn show, Superhero Girls, Batman vs TMNT).
    Exactly.

Damian can also appear as successor of Dick in the Robin mantle without need to mention Tim (or Jason). This happened in DCAU.

I think the main reason why an adaptation would use Tim instead of Damian is because they don't want to use "son of Batman" concept in the story.

After all, adaptations can change the personality of the characters at many levels.

PS: I remember the gamedevelopers in Gotham Knights say they choose Tim, but I don't remember the reasons they've mentioned.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-03-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Just my guess, but they said this game is about Batman's legacy, which the Bat-family carries on their shoulders, it's the story about all of them. If Damian would be in this game, then in this story he would clearly draw attention to himself much more than everyone else, for obvious reasons. That's why they decided to use Tim here.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Just my guess, but they said this game is about Batman's legacy, which the Bat-family carries on their shoulders, it's the story about all of them. If Damian would be in this game, then in this story he would clearly draw attention to himself much more than everyone else, for obvious reasons. That's why they decided to use Tim here.
    They probably also wanted a standard Robin to fulfill the role in the game (which Damian isn't).

They also may not have known how to make a sword non-lethal .

Extraordinary Member

They had solos for the last ten years Tim has not

Dick is in both Titans and Gotham Knights as well, and of course Damian would be the second option.. he is the current Robin after all and has been for years now. So how is that point relevant? It's really not

As Rac7d* noted, Tim hasn't had a solo since the New-52 hit. You missed what I was trying to get at, no one was expecting Tim to get a solo. It is more on the lines of him not showing up in general, unless in the occasional team up books. In outside media he has a much better showings, that can't be disputed.
    Last edited by KrustyKid; 02-03-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    They had solos for the last ten years Tim has not
    I know, that's why I mentioned them.

Jason and Barbara who have solos for the last ten years are relegated to supporting characters. So, it isn't surprising Tim's fate is even more uncertain.

Dick is in both Titans and Gotham Knights as well, and of course Damian would be the second option.. he is the current Robin after all and has been for years now. So how is that point relevant? It's really not

As Rac7d* noted, Tim hasn't had a solo since the New-52 hit. You missed what I was trying to get at, no one was expecting Tim to get a solo. It is more on the lines of him not showing up in general, unless in the occasional team up books. In outside media he has a much better showings, that can't be disputed.
    My point is that I don't find surprising Tim appear more in outside media than current comics.

I guess I shouldn't mention why I think they choose Tim.
    Last edited by Konja7; 02-03-2021 at 11:52 AM.

I know, that's why I mentioned them.

Jason and Barbara who have solos for the last ten years are relegated to supporting characters. So, it isn't surprising Tim's fate is even more uncertain.

My point is that I don't find surprising Tim appear more in outside media than current comics.

I guess I shouldn't mention why I think they choose Tim.
    There is nothing wrong with noting why you believe something to be a certain way. I was simply pointing out what you said before didn't add up. When it comes to 'Robin' showing up in outside media you're typically going to get either;

A. Dick, since he is the original Robin(and likely the one to establish that role in a specific verse)

B. Damian, since he is the current Robin (or if a story requires a biological son to Bruce)

Jason and Tim not getting chosen over those two in most cases actually makes sense. Which is why it is surprising to me Tim has such a presence in outside media right now in comparison to the comics, because typically games/shows/movies promote the characters headlining comics and not the other way around.

Extraordinary Member

There is nothing wrong with noting why you believe something to be a certain way. I was simply pointing out what you said before didn't add up. When it comes to 'Robin' showing up in outside media you're typically going to get either;

A. Dick, since he is the original Robin(and likely the one to establish that role in a specific verse)

B. Damian, since he is the current Robin (or if a story requires a biological son to Bruce)

Jason and Tim not getting chosen over those two in most cases actually makes sense. Which is why it is surprising to me Tim has such a presence in outside media right now in comparison to the comics, because typically games/shows/movies promote the characters headlining comics and not the other way around.
    Comics and outside media don’t sync up nearly as often as they used to; I think most comic book writers have realized that reaching new readers simply *isn’t* going to be the result of trying to standardize the brand. What benefits it may have are often offset by the simple lack of purpose and quality a comic writer has for imitating a decision a different creator had genuine reasons for making.

I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy is now its own resoundingly successful brand name at the movies, but even though it boosted the comic property it was inspired by a little bit, in no way did it create a similar juggernaut in the comic realm.

Tim has an advantage of being a more nebbish and nerdy Robin as well, which helps for rounding out ensembles... but he’s also got mostly Millenial fans, and while the comic creator business sees fewer of them managing to push him, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the TV show and Video Game creators have genuine Tim fans who, by the simple “clean slate” nature of different media, feel they can sell the “real” Tim.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Comics and outside media don’t sync up nearly as often as they used to; I think most comic book writers have realized that reaching new readers simply *isn’t* going to be the result of trying to standardize the brand. What benefits it may have are often offset by the simple lack of purpose and quality a comic writer has for imitating a decision a different creator had genuine reasons for making.

I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy is now its own resoundingly successful brand name at the movies, but even though it boosted the comic property it was inspired by a little bit, in no way did it create a similar juggernaut in the comic realm.

Tim has an advantage of being a more nebbish and nerdy Robin as well, which helps for rounding out ensembles... but he’s also got mostly Millenial fans, and while the comic creator business sees fewer of them managing to push him, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the TV show and Video Game creators have genuine Tim fans who, by the simple “clean slate” nature of different media, feel they can sell the “real” Tim.
    Great points, especially with the differences between the portrayals of characters in the comics in comparison to other media. It really is a whole nother playing field. Even still, I'd say things that are generated in the wider media can bring interest to a character that some may not have known of or overlooked altogether.

Extraordinary Member

Great points, especially with the differences between the portrayals of characters in the comics in comparison to other media. It really is a whole nother playing field. Even still, I'd say things that are generated in the wider media can bring interest to a character that some may not have known of or overlooked altogether.
    One reason I’m curious as to how Titans and Gotham Knight translate Tim is because I’m curious what those specific creators think so the heart and soul fo the character - and how well that spreads with “mainstream” fans who don’t read comics.

Will Tim just be a bland character? A nerdy and unknowing chick magnet? A clever trickster of a vigilante?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    One reason I’m curious as to how Titans and Gotham Knight translate Tim is because I’m curious what those specific creators think so the heart and soul fo the character - and how well that spreads with “mainstream” fans who don’t read comics.

Will Tim just be a bland character? A nerdy and unknowing chick magnet? A clever trickster of a vigilante?
    From what I've seen, many times they don't really care about the character's heart or soul.

They can change too many aspects of the character's personality to suit what they need. At most keeping only the basic concepts (or not even that like Cassandra Cain in BoP movie).

lol, Marvel has announced Young Squadron, involving a world where the Squadron Supreme are the main heroes and the Avengers don't exist, so the Champions also end up being DC ersatzes. Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel) is Girl Power (Wonder Girl), Sam Alexander (Nova) - is Kid Spectrum (Teen Lantern) and Miles Morales (Spider-Man) is Falcon, sidekick of Nighthawk - in other words, he's based on Robin. Specifically Tim Drake, as he has wings like Tim did in New 52, and the previous Falcon is dead, like how Jason was a murdered Robin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman