Page 39 of 103 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Why ? He’s the next robins
    And? Amazing how when it comes to Duke suddenly accuracy becomes an issue on a show that's in accurate as heck.

I should have been Duke because he is the Black Robin and the optics of changing Tim a from a rich white kid to a poor black kid. That's hella racist.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    So? the character is a kid from the rough part of town who believes in batman. the character is Duke Thomas not Tim drake.

I don't recall the other history of the DCU mentioning the Thomas family as one of Gotham's oldest and richest. That was the Drakes.

This kid is Duke Thomas not Tim Drake
    ??? They could have made him an original character with the description you just gave.
    Tim is the robin who figured out Batman and robins identity.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

??? They could have made him an original character with the description you just gave.
    Tim is the robin who figured out Batman and robins identity.
    What are you talking about?

That description is part of Duke

Extraordinary Member

The “streetwise kid” and “toughest streets” thing definitely leans towards the “If we make Wally West black, he needs to be from the hood!”-type of racism. And to be blunt, even Duke isn’t really that stereotypical, at least not in presentation. If what they wanted was greater diversity, than just making Tim a black kid and keeping the rest of his backstory soldi could have done that - while a wise move would be to incorporate how race,would *still* impact Tim in that scenario, the sheer “tenacity” of someone deciding “Black Robin must equal street kid” is ridiculous, particularly when they have Jason already being the street kid, both in the comics and the show.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    First official image of him in the Titans series:
    He looks nice enough. Not sure if he feels like Tim Drake yet, though.

Extraordinary Member

I don't recall the other history of the DCU mentioning the Thomas family as one of Gotham's oldest and richest. That was the Drakes.
    The Drakes were also not that rich.

I mean yeah they were pretty rich, but not on the Level of the Waynes, Kanes, Elliots ..., and they were not among the founding families.

By the way Duke was also not that poor, more working class or maybe even lower middle class, not like Jason or Harper Row.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    First official image of him in the Titans series:
    Maybe because of lighting, but as someone who lived in Southeast Asia he didn't look full-black like Duke for me. He will look white in my country. I can see him as Tim Drake

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

We don't know the plot yet. If he saw Grayson's death as a child, he's Tim Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I mean yeah they were pretty rich, but not on the Level of the Waynes, Kanes, Elliots ..., and they were not among the founding families.

By the way Duke was also not that poor, more working class or maybe even lower middle class, not like Jason or Harper Row.
    I don't know what you are talking about.
    The other history of the DCU lists the Drakes as one of Gotham's oldest and richest families. It makes not mention of the Thomas'.

That isn't an opinion that's open to debate or an assumption. That is simply canon.

The other history of the DCU lists the Drakes as one of Gotham's oldest and richest families. It makes not mention of the Thomas'.

That isn't an opinion that's open to debate or an assumption. That is simply canon.
    Well, The Other History of the DCU isn't exact canon in-and-of-itself.

Extraordinary Member

Then why did he give up his last name and need to take inheritance from
    Bruce?

Then why did he give up his last name and need to take inheritance from
    Bruce?
    That had nothing to do with money.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That had nothing to do with money.
    Which apparently he has plenty of
    No wonder he is known as the privileged Robin. It also must be hard to justify him being apart of the vigilante life then the other teen heroes.

No wonder he is known as the privileged Robin. It also must be hard to justify him being apart of the vigilante life then the other teen heroes.
    Well, it's not like a lot of the Batfamily are really scrimping for cash unless the plot absolutely needs them to, and that really only happens to Babs from what I've seen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

The part about Duke *also* not being from a stereotypical “black” background is one of the reasons why there’s greater risk of Titans Tim being a worse representative than Duke would have been if representation was their primary goal.

Well, 1) he’s not got a reputation as the “privileged Robin,” even if he was in fact more privileged than the others, because the character was always much more than that. And 2), it certainly wasn’t hard to justify him as a vigilante - that’s what good storytelling did for him in his first handful of appearances.

Really, none of Gotham’s teen heroes are “justified” as being part of the vigilante life; giving them the motivation and contextualization to go out and be the equivalent of real world child soldiers *without it being problematic* is one of the conceits of the setting. It just like how Gotham “needs” a rich billionaire to wage a privately funded campaign of ninja warfare, amateur detective work and experimental technology against a recurring cast of colorful murderers.

Really, most of Tim’s problems seem to arise from people trying to o fix what wasn’t broken with him before hand.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP