Page 42 of 103 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    As for hints, his bond with Kon has had a lot of fans think there was more than friendship there.
    But that imo on pretty thin evidence.

I see it as course correcting as writers weren’t able to write major characters as LGBT thirty years ago.
    But in case of Tim they also don't think that they intended him to be LGBT.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But that imo on pretty thin evidence.

But in case of Tim they also don't think that they intended him to be LGBT.
    Well, be that as it may, new developments still seem to be going in that direction.
    When anyone comes out there’s always someone who’s in denial of it because they took a girl to prom two years ago.

Extraordinary Member

When anyone comes out there’s always someone who’s in denial of it because they took a girl to prom two years ago.
    Problem is we have read what he thinks for 30 years.

There have been a lot of occasions where he was clearly attracted to girls, and non where he was attracted to boys.

And even if he comes out, it would be still kind of pointless since his most iconic love interest is Steph (unless they are also making Kon bi, but that would probably even less sense than doing it with Tim).
    Last edited by Aahz; 07-12-2021 at 01:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

There have been a lot of occasions where he was clearly attracted to girls, and non where he was attracted to boys.

And even if he comes out, it would be still kind of pointless since his most iconic love interest is Steph (unless they are also making Kon bi, but that would probably even less sense than doing it with Tim).
    30 years and for 20 of it he was 16 making that truly all just one year of his life, even though he should be 20

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I'm in a rural area with no comic shops anywhere around so I wait for the trades, so I am behind.
    I have seen some brief scans that suggests that Tim is on a date with another guy in Batman Urban Legends.
    Thoughts on this?
    I never care for romance in superhero comics but I'm kinda afraid that it will increase some of Tim stans hate on Steph if other writers try to pair him with her on future stories
    especially since I already saw too many Tumblr blogs and fanfics about Steph "forced herself" on Tim.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    I never care for romance in superhero comics but I'm kinda afraid that it will increase some of Tim stans hate on Steph if other writers try to pair him with her on future stories
    especially since I already saw too many Tumblr blogs and fanfics about Steph "forced herself" on Tim.
    Putting aside the fact that they'd do that regardless of Tim's sexuality, all that needs to be done is to make it clear that Tim is bi, not gay (because yes, he's shown clear attraction to girls, and for longer than just a year in-universe). If they can't accept that afterwards, then really there's bigger problems with them than just the toxicity.

Really, while I'm not discrediting the idea that there might be something more, at the moment, they are at best hedging around the idea, so we'll see the result.
    Last edited by ChangingStation; 07-13-2021 at 03:25 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Just read UL #5. I've enjoyed it much more than previous issue.
    It seems clear that this story is an another attempt to lay the basis for the character's evolution.
    Reasons for the split from Steph aren't known yet, anyway they are still in good terms (they are talking to each other at least).
    I liked the Kon inclusions and the role of the old worried good friend.
    Remain suspended the sexual orientation doubts instilled by the first issue.
    I loved the mystery plot, the cult, the pain vehicle to comprehend which are the real own will.
    The only discordant note is the villain's look, really laughable.

I've appreciated Meghan Fitzmartin's Tim in Future State issue, instead I was a little disappointed by the previous issue of Urban Legends. After this issue my faith in her is thankfully renewed.

"Who's Bernard?"

"He's a... friend."

Alright, I was doubtful, but this bit convinced me that the subtext is intentional. I can't think of any other reason for that ellipsis.

I guess we'll see next issue if this is really going somewhere, or if DC is going to avoid directly confirming it.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Would you say that making Diana and Selina bi pointless since their iconic love interest is Steve and Bruce? I know a few people who are mad that King reestablishes Bat Cat not long they reveal Catwoman's bi.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spatterdasher View Post
    "Who's Bernard?"

"He's a... friend."

Alright, I was doubtful, but this bit convinced me that the subtext is intentional. I can't think of any other reason for that ellipsis.

I guess we'll see next issue if this is really going somewhere, or if DC is going to avoid directly confirming it.
    Yep, the subtext is intentional and throughout this issue, it was played with as that part can also be read as Tim and Bernard have not been 'friends' for some time.

Definitely was an enjoyable read. Hopefully at this chapters end Tim has himself all figured out, coupled in with a new direction for the character

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Would you say that making Diana and Selina bi pointless since their iconic love interest is Steve and Bruce? I know a few people who are mad that King reestablishes Bat Cat not long they reveal Catwoman's bi.
    I think the concern is that people will try to say Tim is gay instead of Bi if they don't make it clear. Because Bi-erasure and all that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Would you say that making Diana and Selina bi pointless since their iconic love interest is Steve and Bruce?
    Pretty much. I mean there was a time where could have gone with Selina in this direction, for example after COIE when their relationship wasn't really a thing anymore, but now I think it is pretty pointless to pair her or Bruce up with any other love interest.

Diana and Selina are also not struggling for relevance. They are completely fine. Tim's character is kind of a mess so this does feel like a desperate attempt to try and give him some relevance by making him the predominant gay/bi male character in the Batman mythos. It gives the character something that makes him stand out after not being Robin anymore I guess, but once they go down that road with him there is no going back. Since fairly or unfairly he will probably get labeled as the gay Robin, especially when adapting him to other media. Like what is happening to Alan Scott. It will become his defining characteristic as his relationship with Steph probably isn't really big enough to prevent that I think. I'm always against such big changes to characters like this with long histories, but I guess we will see how it goes.

But I am not a Tim Drake fan. I'm mostly indifferent to him at this point. So this is more like me trying to predict how it will play out. Just like how it will be interesting to see if Tim gets adapted as a black character more because of his live action Titans appearance now.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Diana and Selina are also not struggling for relevance. They are completely fine. Tim's character is kind of a mess so this does feel like a desperate attempt to try and give him some relevance by making him the predominant gay/bi male character in the Batman mythos. It gives the character something that makes him stand out after not being Robin anymore I guess, but once they go down that road with him there is no going back. Since fairly or unfairly he will probably get labeled as the gay Robin, especially when adapting him to other media. Like what is happening to Alan Scott. It will become his defining characteristic as his relationship with Steph probably isn't really big enough to prevent that I think. I'm always against such big changes to characters like this with long histories, but I guess we will see how it goes.

But I am not a Tim Drake fan. I'm mostly indifferent to him at this point. So this is more like me trying to predict how it will play out. Just like how it will be interesting to see if Tim gets adapted as a black character more because of his live action Titans appearance now.
    That sounds too much like reducing a character down to their sexuality just to make them relevant. Of course I find it disingenous that DC suddenly cares about Alan Scott because they're making him a gay rep way after the fact, but that's just me.

I think his relationship with Steph is relevant enough because most of the major Tim stuff involves her to some degree, so it's not like that can be ignored. Short of letting the fan-theories of him and Kon going through I can't think of a male love interest that could supplant Steph.