Page 56 of 103 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

This is why this is dumb they don't know what to do with him but let's make him bi because diverse. They are also probably doing this because it changes the status quota and might lead to sale increases. Dc stop. Just make a character Tim Drake knows not change his sexual orientation. I'm wondering when the day they make Bruce bi or gay

Amazing Member

I dunno. I haven't read this yet, as I haven't been a Bat family reader in many years. When I was, I adored Tim and Steph because Steph was so often rejected by Batman and the rest, and Tim believed in her. So I'm sad to hear they've broken up (again).

But Tim has a chance to explore something new, and ending his relationship with Steph is a lot better than hiding or cheating on her. He is still pretty young and should be allowed to explore himself. Has Tim even had sex with anyone yet?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toddcam View Post
    I dunno. I haven't read this yet, as I haven't been a Bat family reader in many years. When I was, I adored Tim and Steph because Steph was so often rejected by Batman and the rest, and Tim believed in her. So I'm sad to hear they've broken up (again).

But Tim has a chance to explore something new, and ending his relationship with Steph is a lot better than hiding or cheating on her. He is still pretty young and should be allowed to explore himself. Has Tim even had sex with anyone yet?
    with Steph at the beginning of Rebirth

(I'll probably gonna change my avatar... it looks cute on page, but as avatar it looks like I'm stupidly grinning forever and it's not gonna fit the next time I'm angry at DC)
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-10-2021 at 03:13 PM.

True the question now is will this stick because Dc has gone back and forth and nothing sticks. Especially if they think they are done milking it. They rallied behind Steph being Robin but that didn't last long.

Well why ya'll been hung up on the reveal, I've been analyzing the story & I'm pretty sure Bernard is gonna end up being A a super villain, or B they pull a Artemis from Young Justice & make it so he's from a villain family trying to be a hero & rebelling, it has to be I don't believe any normal person Gotham citizen or not just trains & fights like that. That's sus & the undertones of how Tim felt his family (Bernards) never liked him, & you also got the mention of him saying Tim helped him realize his true self, you'd think that could just be romantic thing but it could also be like a moral thing. IDK Bernard is sus too me I don't see him being a regular civilian of Gotham going forward I just don't. Like if he can fight like that how was he so easily captured it just doesn't add up to me.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

"Turning" Tim Bi-sexual is A-OK in my book but only if this isnt the last we see of it.

You (and I say that in generally) can't expect to keep these characters as a teen forever and then be "but he's always been straight!". It's very clear that this is something new to him and he's a teen/young adult exploring the 21st century. It doesnt retcon or lesson any of Tims previous stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    This is why this is dumb they don't know what to do with him but let's make him bi because diverse. They are also probably doing this because it changes the status quota and might lead to sale increases. Dc stop. Just make a character Tim Drake knows not change his sexual orientation. I'm wondering when the day they make Bruce bi or gay
    They already have Midnighter for Bruce, and Apollo for Clark.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    This. I'm straight; but that shouldn't matter. You should be free to decide whether or not you like what they've done with Tim and not feel like you have to support him because you're gay, and I should likewise be able to feel free to decide whether or not I like what they've done to Tim and not have to keep myself silent because I might be accused of being a homophobe for not supporting it.

And frankly, my concerns about it are the same as yours: it feels artificial. And it doesn't necessarily do anything for Tim — unless, as I said before, it makes his civilian life a significant part of his story again.
    I think the fear is Tim is Bi and that is it.

With the oh NOW suddenly somebody wants to do a story with him. Where were these writers for the past 13 years? Tim is not Northstar or Prodigy-he held a solo for over a decade. He was being used.

It is blatant pandering ofcourse but that doesn't have to be bad. Pandering is just a way of keeping fans happy and that is part of DC's goal.
    It smells of what was done with Cyborg in New 52 & Prodigy at Marvel. He is just there until the need to do an LGBTQA+ story. Which is what too many shows and books have done. They want to be content with just having that person there and not offer any substance.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the fear is Tim is Bi and that is it.

With the oh NOW suddenly somebody wants to do a story with him. Where were these writers for the past 13 years? Tim is not Northstar or Prodigy-he held a solo for over a decade. He was being used.

It smells of what was done with Cyborg in New 52 & Prodigy at Marvel. He is just there until the need to do an LGBTQA+ story. Which is what too many shows and books have done. They want to be content with just having that person there and not offer any substance.
    Exactly. There's a real danger that this will make Tim less interesting rather than more, by turning him into a mere token whose only significant trait is that he's LGBTQ. If you need someone who's bi, consider bringing Tim in; otherwise, why bother? Or that's how I worry things are going to go now. And I'd much prefer that his defining characteristic be that he's Batman's heir apparent for the title of Detective.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Exactly. There's a real danger that this will make Tim less interesting rather than more, by turning him into a mere token whose only significant trait is that he's LGBTQ. If you need someone who's bi, consider bringing Tim in; otherwise, why bother? Or that's how I worry things are going to go now. And I'd much prefer that his defining characteristic be that he's Batman's heir apparent for the title of Detective.
    I agree that this is the bigger danger and only time will tell but I do think that this writer if given the chance can do more than make him the bi Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I agree that this is the bigger danger and only time will tell but I do think that this writer if given the chance can do more than make him the bi Robin.
    And I sincerely hope she does.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Well why ya'll been hung up on the reveal, I've been analyzing the story & I'm pretty sure Bernard is gonna end up being A a super villain, or B they pull a Artemis from Young Justice & make it so he's from a villain family trying to be a hero & rebelling, it has to be I don't believe any normal person Gotham citizen or not just trains & fights like that. That's sus & the undertones of how Tim felt his family (Bernards) never liked him, & you also got the mention of him saying Tim helped him realize his true self, you'd think that could just be romantic thing but it could also be like a moral thing. IDK Bernard is sus too me I don't see him being a regular civilian of Gotham going forward I just don't. Like if he can fight like that how was he so easily captured it just doesn't add up to me.
    Watch him to become the New Spoiler via being a bad kid that becomes good because of Tim. Or like Ten and Terry.

Well this is going to be fun, hopefully it's not just lip service. If you're going to do something like this go all the way, otherwise it's cowardly.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I'm reacting to this similar to when Iceman came out.

Iceman was always my favourite X-Men. Long before he was outed. And when he was, I liked it for him (because I like when my favourite characters go through experiences that mirror my own). But I was also met with a lot of "you only like him because he's gay now". Which annoyed me because it's not true. But I can't prove that.

Similarity, Tim has always been my favourite Robin. And I'm getting a sense of "here we go again". I already have my defences up preemptively, ready to justify that yes, I have always liked the character and no, it isn't just because if this.

I guess I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who never really bought into or followed all the queer subtext others apparently saw in Tim. I guess it just comes across as disingenuous to me now that a change in Tim's sexuality might suddenly give him a harder push or make him seem more "interesting" than he was before and that it's coming out now after we just spent several comic runs showcasing how much he loves and is physically attracted to Steph.

Which, yeah, if he's bisexual is still valid but if not...I dunno. I don't think this is comparable to Iceman when you see the time and history spent towards the TimxSteph relationship across two to three continuities and to then just end that unceremoniously off-panel and make him move on with Bernard (is this the same Bernard from Post-Crisis?) so quickly just doesn't really genuine to me. The idea that certain fans might never accept his relationship with Steph again because she's not a male love interest when so much time had been spent on that also just really rubs me the wrong way when I just don't see a comparable treatment being given to any guy they pair Tim up with. At least online I've seen a lot of people assuming he's bisexual and Steph will probably still be endgame, so I guess the ball is in DC's court on that front now.

The very last thing I think Tim should become about is his sexuality or that become a defining character trait just so DC can market themselves as being more diverse. Not that I'm against more representation, I think they just need to be careful how they execute this with Tim, and I'm not sure if this is being made with proper care and investment into his character rather than something marketing driven or because they don't know what else to do with him so now he gets to be the "gay/bisexual Robin."