Page 55 of 108 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

I still think Zoey Deutch had the perfect look for Babs and it's a shame she didn't get the part but Leslie Grace is an interesting choice. As long as her hair is dyed red or she wears a red wig for the movie and she wears a cowl I think it should be OK. I guess all we can do now is just wait and see what happens. But sorry I hope she does not have an afro like they have done to Batwoman in season 2, I want her to look as close as possible to Batgirl/Babs from the comics.

movie Batgirl needs some basic gadgets, even if she doesn't have shark-spray.
    And her motorcycle needs to be top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    movie Batgirl needs some basic gadgets, even if she doesn't have shark-spray.
    And her motorcycle needs to be top notch.
    Yeh totally agree, her motorbike needs to be amazing.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    I still think Zoey Deutch had the perfect look for Babs and it's a shame she didn't get the part but Leslie Grace is an interesting choice. As long as her hair is dyed red or she wears a red wig for the movie and she wears a cowl I think it should be OK. I guess all we can do now is just wait and see what happens. But sorry I hope she does not have an afro like they have done to Batwoman in season 2, I want her to look as close as possible to Batgirl/Babs from the comics.

I think Leslie Grace would look fine with dyed auburn hair.
    I read that she was born Leslie Grace Martinez to Dominican parents in The Bronx.

I have a maternal aunt and first cousin that are mixed race with SubSaharan African like myself, and they have naturally auburn hair
    My first cousin is my maternal aunt's daughter with an African American man
    My maternal aunt's father/my grandfather was of Cape Verdean, Madeiran, Puerto Rican, and Azorean ancestry.
    My maternal aunt's mother/my stepgrandmother had a Spanish immigrant father and a Hawaiian-born Puerto Rican mother who obviously had high amounts of SubSaharan African ancestry.
    My stepgrandmother has auburn hair.

Leslie looks like she'd fit in with my maternal grandfather's side of the family.
    Last edited by Starrius; 07-21-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    To be fair, Season 2 Batwoman isn't Kate Kane. They used the afro to make it obvious that this was a new Batwoman and not the same one from season 1 - Kate added the wig in the first place because people were mistaking her for Batman, Ryan just used the same logic when updating the suit.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Less super model at least. Not that Babs isn’t really pretty, but ya. She’s a librarian. Kind of nerdy even.
    A hot librarian. Occupation has nothing to do with it, at least in comics. I actually think she's usually drawn as prettier than this actress, but your mileage may vary.

Occupation demonstrates and helps conveys intent behind the character. Yes she’s hot, and often drawn really hot as most comic characters are, but nevertheless there is an aspect of being unassuming behind the idea of the character.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-22-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Incredible Member

Occupation demonstrates and helps conveys intent behind the character. Yes she’s hot, and often drawn really hot as most comic characters are, but nevertheless there is an aspect of being unassuming behind the idea of the character.
    Right, and that will not be contradicted. I'm sure they will not have her show skin in her librarian outfit (nor do the comics do that); moreover she will probably have glasses and her hair up in a bun at the library.

The "intent" though is absolutely to be able to tell that underneath the glasses, the librarian outfit, the hair bun, is an extremely attractive girl.

Being a librarian isn’t the point here, it’s just a vehicle to demonstrate the point. The intent wasn’t to be able to tell that she was extremely attractive. That’s not being unassuming. That’s just a condition of the medium. Again not that she isn’t suppose to be pretty, but being able to tell she is extremely attractive has never been a story characteristic of the character. Being looked over is part of the story motivation of her becoming Batgirl. From her original debut, to Batgirl Year One.

No one is dyeing their hair anything. At most she will get a wig. Hair dye hasn't been a thing with DCEU (Miller) and even when used it's just minimally (Momoa, Smollett). The only extreme case of hair dye is Mera.

Incredible Member

Being a librarian isn’t the point here, it’s just a vehicle to demonstrate the point. The intent wasn’t to be able to tell that she was extremely attractive. That’s not being unassuming. That’s just a condition of the medium. Again not that she isn’t suppose to be pretty, but being able to tell she is extremely attractive has never been a story characteristic of the character. Being looked over is part of the story motivation of her becoming Batgirl. From her original debut, to Batgirl Year One.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. I believe creators' intent has always been to show that underneath it all, Babs is very attractive. Yes, she may get overlooked by others in the comics, but crucially Babs is *not* overlooked by the audience reading the comic and also *not* by Dick Grayson, for example, who is attractive himself.

That's even assuming they go with the librarian aspect which honestly hasn't been a big deal in forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    No one is dyeing their hair anything. At most she will get a wig. Hair dye hasn't been a thing with DCEU (Miller) and even when used it's just minimally (Momoa, Smollett). The only extreme case of hair dye is Mera.
    I think considering how the red hair visual is such an important part of Barbara Gordon's Batgirl that they will include it.

(I mean, it's not like they're really trying that hard with Miller as Barry).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    To be fair, Season 2 Batwoman isn't Kate Kane. They used the afro to make it obvious that this was a new Batwoman and not the same one from season 1 - Kate added the wig in the first place because people were mistaking her for Batman, Ryan just used the same logic when updating the suit.
    I don't even know why afro was even brought up

Leslie Grace (her last name is actually Martinez...uses middle name as last name) is Dominican, and she doesn't wear an afro
    her hair is usually straight, wavy, or big,loose curly

I have looked at a lot of pictures
    She has worn her various shades of brown
    she has worn auburn hair which looks natural with her tan complexion which is a few shades lighter than mine.....I have a tan complexion myself....I get to a dark tan in the summer.....and can get darker if I am constantly in the sunlight like I was as a kid played outside and swam a lot

my father was a chocolate brown-skinned African American with some English and Acadian ancestry

my mother is a peach colored skinned woman who is of Cape Verdean, Madeiran, Puerto Rican, Azorean ancestry on her father's side
    her maternal grandmother was the daughter of Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants from Romania and Latvia
    her maternal grandfather was of Colonial European American ancestry consisting of English, Scottish, Swiss, Welsh, Dutch, and Frisian
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    That's more up the actress. If she wants to dye it and do the upkeep, she will. Amber also wears a wig (as do Scarlett for Widow, Elizabeth for Scarlet) But I could also easily see them just keeping the red hair for Batgirl and keep her current hair color for Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's even assuming they go with the librarian aspect which honestly hasn't been a big deal in forever.
    More's the shame.

My older sister was a librarian . . . I worked in my local public library back when I was in high school . . . I like libraries!