Page 25 of 108 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not a fan.

It’s Babs in her stay-at-home mom “Karen” costume. Instead of fighting crime does she just call the police and complain about having to wear a mask in her favorite Starbucks?
    It’s certainly not a costume that will be showing up on any t-shirts or toys anytime soon.
    Or ever.

Despite all the insultingly condescending comments that Barbara will now be sooo much more important in the Batuniverse than ever, the fact is- these are superhero comics. And ever since June 1938, when Superman appeared to the world on the cover of Action Comics #1, the primary appeal of this genre of entertainment has been the dynamic depiction of human anatomy in colorful costumes.

To paraphrase Captain Bryant from Bladerunner- In this world, if you aren’t wearing the costume, you’re little people.

I mean, I think Jiminez draws her pretty striking in normal clothes, but it's Jiminez.
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    It’s certainly not a costume that will be showing up on any t-shirts or toys anytime soon.
    Or ever.

Despite all the insultingly condescending comments that Barbara will now be sooo much more important in the Batuniverse than ever, the fact is- these are superhero comics. And ever since June 1938, when Superman appeared to the world on the cover of Action Comics #1, the primary appeal of this genre of entertainment has been the dynamic depiction of human anatomy in colorful costumes.

To paraphrase Captain Bryant from Bladerunner- In this world, if you aren’t wearing the costume, you’re little people.
    That's so character dismissive though. Like there's no appeal to a character in Superhero stories unless they're actual Superheroes or wearing spandex. Or that there isn't a different way to be a Superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
    Or ever.

It’s a not a costume, costume. It’s colorful and bright, and pops out to the reader, but the idea is to be covert. To be able blend. I’ll give it this, it doesn’t look like something a middle age dude came up with. Its different, and the idea behind it is different. As Oracle isn’t suppose to be Batgirl. Batgirl is still available for that. But if she is going to be Oracle. Oracle shouldn’t just be Batgirl in a different suit.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-13-2021 at 05:15 PM.

what is the gadget inside the circle?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Not a fan.

It’s Babs in her stay-at-home mom “Karen” costume. Instead of fighting crime does she just call the police and complain about having to wear a mask in her favorite Starbucks?
    You have know understanding of the character Oracle
    And her presence in the DCU

Maybe E3 Babs is a Karen who wants to know where the manager for Wayne Enterprises is, threatens to call the cops 'cause her daddy is a police commissioners and as Oracle she is **** posting online about the latest proof that vaccines cause autism and that Superman is running the pedo cult and Darkseid is her lord and saviour.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Maybe E3 Babs is a Karen who wants to know where the manager for Wayne Enterprises is, threatens to call the cops 'cause her daddy is a police commissioners and as Oracle she is **** posting online about the latest proof that vaccines cause autism and that Superman is running the pedo cult and Darkseid is her lord and saviour.
    I feel like E3 Babs would either be that or Killing Joke movie Babs taken up a notch.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I’ll give it this, it doesn’t look like something a middle age dude came up with.
    Really?
    ‘Cuz I think it kinda looks like every tracksuit that Paulie Walnuts wore on The Sopranos.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like E3 Babs would either be that or Killing Joke movie Babs taken up a notch.
    Man, do I hate the TKJ version of Babs. Calling her “E3 Babs on decaf” actually kind of works.

How the hell do you give yourself the objective of expanding Babs’s role in the story that troublingly treated her as an afterthought... and somehow manage to make an accidentally vaguely misogynistic usage go full blown outright misogynistic male sex fantasy?

HOW?!?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Man, do I hate the TKJ version of Babs. Calling her “E3 Babs on decaf” actually kind of works.

How the hell do you give yourself the objective of expanding Babs’s role in the story that troublingly treated her as an afterthought... and somehow manage to make an accidentally vaguely misogynistic usage go full blown outright misogynistic male sex fantasy?

HOW?!?
    And make her kind of terrible as Batgirl. As if it wasn't bad and demeaning enough.

Like I was happy they were giving her Batgirl scenes to make what happens more impactful but it ended up having the exact opposite effect.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And make her kind of terrible as Batgirl. As if it wasn't bad and demeaning enough.

Like I was happy they were giving her Batgirl scenes to make what happens more impactful but it ended up having the exact opposite effect.
    I used to think Timm’s occasional references to a possible Bruce and Babs romance was just a weird reference he was making to some early Babs material and a desire to be edgy... but dang... that movie and Azzarello’s script made it seem like Babs being Bruce’s problematic “romantic” interest is some creepy core belief Tim has about the character,
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

So I read Batman Urban Legends 2 for the Oracle story and it was ok. Nothing special, wasn't a huge fan of the art it was too colorful and reminds me of Barbie. Also the story was just ok in my opinion.
    I also read Joker issue 2 and I liked the art. I also love how babs looked, she was drawn very nicely.
    I don't like spoilers:
    Gordon knowing Babs was Batgirl and Oracle n don't like how it wasn't explained how long he has known n does he know Batmans secret identity too?
    end of spoilers
    I still really keep hoping to see Babs in a Batgirl costume very soon. Its been far too long since she has put on the Batgirl costume.
    Having these ittle appearances of Babs as Oracle is NOT enough for me. I want her to star in her own book again!
    Last edited by sorboares; 04-14-2021 at 03:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    So I read Batman Urban Legends 2 for the Oracle story and it was ok. Nothing special, wasn't a huge fan of the art it was too colorful and reminds me of Barbie. Also the story was just ok in my opinion.
    I also read Joker issue 2 and I liked the art. I also love how babs looked, she was drawn very nicely.
    I don't like spoilers:
    Gordon knowing Babs was Batgirl and Oracle n don't like how it wasn't explained how long he has known n does he know Batmans secret identity too?
    end of spoilers
    I still really keep hoping to see Babs in a Batgirl costume very soon. Its been far too long since she has put on the Batgirl costume.
    Having these ittle appearances of Babs as Oracle is NOT enough for me. I want her to star in her own book again!
    I think he knows Bruce's identity, but never feels a need to reveal he knows because he doesn't care about Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think he knows Bruce's identity, but never feels a need to reveal he knows because he doesn't care about Bruce.
    See I always assumed it was a plausible deniability thing because of his job, like he has to play ignorant because working with someone on a personal level outside the law could land him in hot water if it goes wrong.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Again? How many times are they going to retread this?
    I agree.

Don't get too excited that Jim Gordon knows...he seems to forget...often.