Page 19 of 97 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Plus it seems like they want to streamline things and have characters who had active status in the x-books be mutants. It just didn't make much sense for Wanda when she hardly ever dealt with any mutant issues. It became nothing more than a fact on her character sheet.

She's also been retconned enough. Too much already. Keep her parents the Maximoffs. It's the surname she's kept the longest and the family that raised her regardless of past familial links she's had. Keep her as a nexus being that was blessed by Chthon at birth. That and her practicing traditional magic is enough power origin for her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    childrens crusade cleaned that slate clean, the issue isnt the avengers but the x-men when it comes to her botched redemption, and considering brevoot has some sort of vindication agaist hickman don't expect the twins to return to being mutants MUCH LESS writen as team-members/cast on a book.
    Brevoort just in general seems like he sees X-Men comics as an enemy he has to fight in order to keep or acquire more editorial power. He was incredibly committed to pushing the idea that Lorna couldn't be Magneto's daughter because <insert reason> back when the Avengers books were Marvel's highest comics priority, and there was a decent chance he could exploit Magneto's popularity to give a boost to characters and books under him. Now that Marvel's (currently) giving a big push for X-Men after the Fox merger, it's not too surprising he'd try to keep Wanda and Pietro away from the X-Men franchise since the current dynamics would mean he has to cede at least an inkling of his power in the process.

If he has a vendetta against Hickman, IMO that's really just extra layers to the foundation of how he acts as an editor regardless of who's doing what.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    She's also been retconned enough. Too much already. Keep her parents the Maximoffs. It's the surname she's kept the longest and the family that raised her regardless of past familial links she's had. Keep her as a nexus being that was blessed by Chthon at birth. That and her practicing traditional magic is enough power origin for her.
    Arguably, she could be Magneto's biological daughter while still wanting nothing to do with him and seeing the Maximoffs as her "real parents." It would also cut to a fundamental difference to who they are as daughters - one closer to Magneto (Lorna), the other very much separate (Wanda). It would allow for the two to have a sister relationship (and Lorna and Pietro to have a sibling one, if we assume where Wanda goes then Pietro must too) with an emphasis on that relationship, not their common paternal status. You wouldn't expect siblings in real life to talk all the time about their parents, especially if one of them hates their parents, after all.

When I say all this, I'm imagining a similar scenario of Lorna spending time with Cyclops without having to pull Havok into any of it. It's possible to think that if you don't want Havok brought up with Lorna, then you also can't have Lorna around Cyclops since he's Havok's brother. When in reality, their status as brothers doesn't mean Cyclops has to bring up Havok at all when he and Lorna talk.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Brevoort just in general seems like he sees X-Men comics as an enemy he has to fight in order to keep or acquire more editorial power. He was incredibly committed to pushing the idea that Lorna couldn't be Magneto's daughter because <insert reason> back when the Avengers books were Marvel's highest comics priority, and there was a decent chance he could exploit Magneto's popularity to give a boost to characters and books under him. Now that Marvel's (currently) giving a big push for X-Men after the Fox merger, it's not too surprising he'd try to keep Wanda and Pietro away from the X-Men franchise since the current dynamics would mean he has to cede at least an inkling of his power in the process.

If he has a vendetta against Hickman, IMO that's really just extra layers to the foundation of how he acts as an editor regardless of who's doing what.

Arguably, she could be Magneto's biological daughter while still wanting nothing to do with him and seeing the Maximoffs as her "real parents." It would also cut to a fundamental difference to who they are as daughters - one closer to Magneto (Lorna), the other very much separate (Wanda). It would allow for the two to have a sister relationship (and Lorna and Pietro to have a sibling one, if we assume where Wanda goes then Pietro must too) with an emphasis on that relationship, not their common paternal status. You wouldn't expect siblings in real life to talk all the time about their parents, especially if one of them hates their parents, after all.

When I say all this, I'm imagining a similar scenario of Lorna spending time with Cyclops without having to pull Havok into any of it. It's possible to think that if you don't want Havok brought up with Lorna, then you also can't have Lorna around Cyclops since he's Havok's brother. When in reality, their status as brothers doesn't mean Cyclops has to bring up Havok at all when he and Lorna talk.
    I don't see them going back on that. Especially so soon. It'd be another retcon for nothing. Because she doesn't really want anything to do with him. They already did the he's really their dad but the Maximoffs raised them, and it really went nowhere good.

I feel like she can still have interactions with Lorna and still have had her past dealings with Mags without blood being related. I have step-siblings. I still consider them siblings. And I have had friends I was closer with than my actual siblings too.

It's not even a matter of doesn't talk all the time. It's a matter of it makes a mess of her origin and her history. She's had three sets of parents and four moms now. It's time to simplify her for new fans.

I don't see them going back on that. Especially so soon. It'd be another retcon for nothing. Because she doesn't really want anything to do with him. They already did the he's really their dad but the Maximoffs raised them, and it really went nowhere good.

I feel like she can still have interactions with Lorna and still have had her past dealings with Mags without blood being related. I have step-siblings. I still consider them siblings. And I have had friends I was closer with than my actual siblings too.

It's not even a matter of doesn't talk all the time. It's a matter of it makes a mess of her origin and her history. She's had three sets of parents and four moms now. It's time to simplify her for new fans.
    I agree on them not going back on it soon. But the reason I agree is cause Marvel is like any other creative company, in that they like to pretend they have reasons for things they do far nobler than pettiness and greed. Marvel wants to maintain the fiction that this latest retcon happened out of genuine narrative interest, rather than Perlmutter being mad about Fox owning film rights at the time. Their desire to maintain the fiction means they're unlikely to reverse the retcon any time soon. They're aware doing so will serve as proof to consumers of the real reason behind the Axis retcon.

That said it's always possible for something that happened for terrible reasons to become good with future work. I've seen people argue this about Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle, in that Killing Joke was trash and treated her horribly while later writers managed to make good things out of it.

While Lorna could be "like a sister" without Wanda being Magneto's daughter, I don't think that's likely to happen given the way Marvel views Lorna, and I feel something important is lost for them in not being blood related besides. One such area is in their aesthetics. I think it's more intriguing if they're sisters that they developed similar and complementary costume choice, as opposed to two entirely unrelated women who just happen to vibe well enough that they make the choice to act like sisters.

Maybe Wanda should just split herself into 3-4 versions. :P (I kid, I realize this would be a bad idea as it would dilute the character and make everything even more confusing)

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I agree on them not going back on it soon. But the reason I agree is cause Marvel is like any other creative company, in that they like to pretend they have reasons for things they do far nobler than pettiness and greed. Marvel wants to maintain the fiction that this latest retcon happened out of genuine narrative interest, rather than Perlmutter being mad about Fox owning film rights at the time. Their desire to maintain the fiction means they're unlikely to reverse the retcon any time soon. They're aware doing so will serve as proof to consumers of the real reason behind the Axis retcon.

That said it's always possible for something that happened for terrible reasons to become good with future work. I've seen people argue this about Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle, in that Killing Joke was trash and treated her horribly while later writers managed to make good things out of it.

While Lorna could be "like a sister" without Wanda being Magneto's daughter, I don't think that's likely to happen given the way Marvel views Lorna, and I feel something important is lost for them in not being blood related besides. One such area is in their aesthetics. I think it's more intriguing if they're sisters that they developed similar and complementary costume choice, as opposed to two entirely unrelated women who just happen to vibe well enough that they make the choice to act like sisters.

Maybe Wanda should just split herself into 3-4 versions. :P (I kid, I realize this would be a bad idea as it would dilute the character and make everything even more confusing)
    I think regardless of Wanda's relations to these characters, they won't interact much. Marvel has made it clear that they are wanting to use Wanda and Pietro as little as possible, and even less when it comes to any familial or past familial links. For instance they don't bring up the Franks ever again. Robert Frank Jr. was their supposed brother but that's never linked again. Their sister established with this newest origin (Luminous) is never spoken of again. Marvel writes very plot based and have for about 20 years now. So unless a plot calls for it, they won't be anywhere near each other and will likely have very limited interaction.

BANNED

everything points at a the seperation being permanent , there's no point in pretending otherwise

I think regardless of Wanda's relations to these characters, they won't interact much. Marvel has made it clear that they are wanting to use Wanda and Pietro as little as possible, and even less when it comes to any familial or past familial links. For instance they don't bring up the Franks ever again. Robert Frank Jr. was their supposed brother but that's never linked again. Their sister established with this newest origin (Luminous) is never spoken of again. Marvel writes very plot based and have for about 20 years now. So unless a plot calls for it, they won't be anywhere near each other and will likely have very limited interaction.
    I think the situation between Wanda, Pietro, and Lorna is different from the other characters you mentioned because they've all existed for a long time and have a lot of past use (quality of said use up for debate, but use nonetheless) compared to those characters. I also don't think Luminous is a very good case to cite since it was really, really clear the only reason they created her was to serve as a replacement for Lorna post-Axis. Hence why they made blue her signature color at a time when Quicksilver's signature color was green.

I think Secret Wars: House of M also shows there are people at Marvel who would like to do more with them together if they were a family. Even if just to make some extra money off fans. I'd cite activities on ANXF too, but realistically I think Marvel only allowed those interactions on ANXF because they had the Axis retcon planned and wanted to offer a fig leaf to family fans before the retcon came down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    everything points at a the seperation being permanent , there's no point in pretending otherwise
    Honestly speaking, we really don't know whether or not that's the case either way. Even if we had explicit, undeniably definitive comments from Feige, Brevoort, White, etc all saying it's permanent and never getting undone, that wouldn't mean those plans can't and won't change. If you had asked me in 2016 if Polaris would get a live action depiction, I would've said (and I think I even did at the time) absolutely not for at least another 10 years minimum. If someone told me in 2007 that Marvel's films would overshadow DC's, I would've said no chance. The Fox merger itself, I thought would never happen until it did. A lot of things can change very easily to undo existing plans and things we take for granted as common knowledge.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think marvel and the MCU are giving mixed signals on this, on one hand Strange Academy has a small and fun little panel of Wanda and Pietro getting mail from magneto saying he wants to meet with them again while at the same time Ewing is giving Erik a earful over the pretender thing on SWORD while keeping Pietro and Wanda actual comics appareances very scarce, something really strange given their big presence on TV right now.

Then we have Wandavision itself, we are told it´s just wanda story about her dealing with the MCU trauma and still they choose to bring a Quicksilver from the XMCU knowing how much the fans will wonder if he´s from there or not, while at the same time calling him Fake Pietro, at least until the last chapter is revealed.

I think marvel and the MCU are just teasing fans because they know the links between the family members is still attractive to a big part of the fans from comics and movies but things are such a mess it seems they also want to get away with teasing instead of giving a final word on anything.

So I will just wait and see, so far I am enjoying WandaVision, I hope Falcon and the Winter Soldier is good too and can´t wait to read more of Ewing´s SWORD and his take on Amelia Vogh even if he enjoys teasing me with Pietro, Wanda and Billy intereracting
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 03-04-2021 at 04:26 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I think the situation between Wanda, Pietro, and Lorna is different from the other characters you mentioned because they've all existed for a long time and have a lot of past use (quality of said use up for debate, but use nonetheless) compared to those characters. I also don't think Luminous is a very good case to cite since it was really, really clear the only reason they created her was to serve as a replacement for Lorna post-Axis. Hence why they made blue her signature color at a time when Quicksilver's signature color was green.

I think Secret Wars: House of M also shows there are people at Marvel who would like to do more with them together if they were a family. Even if just to make some extra money off fans. I'd cite activities on ANXF too, but realistically I think Marvel only allowed those interactions on ANXF because they had the Axis retcon planned and wanted to offer a fig leaf to family fans before the retcon came down.

Honestly speaking, we really don't know whether or not that's the case either way. Even if we had explicit, undeniably definitive comments from Feige, Brevoort, White, etc all saying it's permanent and never getting undone, that wouldn't mean those plans can't and won't change. If you had asked me in 2016 if Polaris would get a live action depiction, I would've said (and I think I even did at the time) absolutely not for at least another 10 years minimum. If someone told me in 2007 that Marvel's films would overshadow DC's, I would've said no chance. The Fox merger itself, I thought would never happen until it did. A lot of things can change very easily to undo existing plans and things we take for granted as common knowledge.
    It doesn't matter what writers want to do. Zub wanted to write new stuff with Wanda in it. Marvel denied him. I don't think they are concerned as much as fans are with the family dynamics, because they never really were.

Wanda hasn't been really in comics since last August. And not in an ongoing since last June. The next appearance teased for her is Darkhold Alpha which we only have a January 2021 release date for the paperback version confirmed.

They are slow on the uptake with her for stuff banking off the MCU, and likely when they bring her back, it'll still be magic stuff. Like it has been for 6 years, and is now in the MCU.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 03-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Yeah this HoM video by Marvel Entertainment had like 100k before WandaVision started, and it was stuck with that number a whole year now it has 500k and keeps growing lol

Sales of House of M have skyrocketed and stayed high for weeks and weeks. It is still in the top 200 of books on Amazon [currently #41] and it just went back to the printers for reprinting. Meanwhile side House of M titles like Civil War House of M are sold out and have several week delays for new issues on Amazon.

Meanwhile House of M has trended several times on Twitter the past few weeks, but Google Trends is the far better source for actual interest across the world and it has surpassed interest when the series was coming out.

What accounts for this? Fans and Marvel themselves are in no small part responsible. Marvel was clearly promoting the series as one of the important source material of sorts for the series of late and fans caught on and spread it far and wide with word of mouth.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hx5vdrSM/z.png

Major news sites of every type talking about the TV series decided to play up the comic universe/crossover as core source material for the TV show and have been unrestrained in talking up House of M. Also, merchandise sites like Sideshow which make toys are doing long articles on House of M. What can be said is regardless of how the MCU deals with Wanda's story or the family that the House of M has solidified its place as one of a select few best known Marvel crossover stories with the public globally.

Will the MCU put the family back together or have their own version of the House of M? Who knows. The only thing certain is that news sites and fans will continue speculating about it happening and how until Wanda's arc in the MCU is over. Will the family come back together in the comics? Eventually. Both the comics and MCU wouldn't tease Magnus family fans if they didn't know their relationships weren't popular. I have found what is popular will not stay dead forever, but that doesn't mean it will come back in one year, five or even ten.
    Last edited by jmc247; 03-06-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Sales of House of M have skyrocketed and stayed high for weeks and weeks. It is still in the top 200 of books on Amazon and it just went back to the printers for reprinting. Meanwhile side House of M titles like Civil War House of M are sold out and have several week delays for new issues on Amazon.

Meanwhile House of M has trended several times on Twitter the past few weeks, but Google Trends is the far better source for actual interest across the world and it has surpassed interest when the series was coming out.

What accounts for this? Fans and Marvel themselves are in no small part responsible. Marvel was clearly promoting the series as one of the important source material of sorts for the series of late and fans caught on and spread it far and wide with word of mouth.

https://i.postimg.cc/Hx5vdrSM/z.png

Major news sites of every type talking about the TV series decided to play up the comic universe/crossover as core source material for the TV show and have been unrestrained in talking up House of M. Also, merchandise sites like Slidshow which make toys are doing long articles on House of M. What can be said is regardless of how the MCU deals with Wanda's story or the family that the House of M has solidified its place as one of a select few best known Marvel crossover stories with the public globally.

Will the MCU put the family back together or have their own version of the House of M? Who knows. The only thing certain is that news sites and fans will continue speculating about it happening and how until Wanda's arc in the MCU is over. Will the family come back together in the comics? Eventually. Both the comics and MCU wouldn't tease Magnus family fans if they didn't know their relationships weren't popular. I have found what is popular will not stay dead forever, but that doesn't mean it will come back in one year, five or even ten.
    Like I said, that's some unfortunate side effects, if anything there are warning signs of the continuous misleading info those sites spread for Wanda's character. They are probably also responsible for spreading the "rumor" about the potential Magneto and mutants cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Like I said, that's some unfortunate side effects, if anything there are warning signs of the continuous misleading info those sites spread for Wanda's character. They are probably also responsible for spreading the "rumor" about the potential Magneto and mutants cameo.
    Rumors of Magneto and mutant cameos would've spread like wildfire even if no sites reported on them, on the Magneto side because of their history (including Evolution) and past family drama, on the mutant side both for the Magneto connections and everyone eagerly awaiting their first glimpse of mutants in the MCU. Just about everything Marvel makes in the MCU is going to have rumors that mutants might appear.

Marvel's history of using one work to tease future works, and those teasers often being big impressive things (e.g. first Avengers end credits teasing Thanos), really played into this.

I always figured, once we saw Evan Peters show up as Quicksilver, that Lorna and Magneto wouldn't show up. I figured that would be the big family reveal and they wouldn't want to detract from it by bringing in other characters that might overshadow him. Some other mutant cameo seemed more likely, but also doubtful because I figured X-Men is such an important franchise that they'd want the teaser for it to be really impressive. I really thought a Fantastic Four cameo, particularly Reed Richards, would happen after Bettany misled with some trolling. It makes sense that it didn't though. Wandavision isn't a film, it's a show (even as a limited series). They don't "waste" big teasers on shows. Not yet anyway.

Extraordinary Member

Rumors of Magneto and mutant cameos would've spread like wildfire even if no sites reported on them, on the Magneto side because of their history (including Evolution) and past family drama, on the mutant side both for the Magneto connections and everyone eagerly awaiting their first glimpse of mutants in the MCU. Just about everything Marvel makes in the MCU is going to have rumors that mutants might appear.

Marvel's history of using one work to tease future works, and those teasers often being big impressive things (e.g. first Avengers end credits teasing Thanos), really played into this.

I always figured, once we saw Evan Peters show up as Quicksilver, that Lorna and Magneto wouldn't show up. I figured that would be the big family reveal and they wouldn't want to detract from it by bringing in other characters that might overshadow him. Some other mutant cameo seemed more likely, but also doubtful because I figured X-Men is such an important franchise that they'd want the teaser for it to be really impressive. I really thought a Fantastic Four cameo, particularly Reed Richards, would happen after Bettany misled with some trolling. It makes sense that it didn't though. Wandavision isn't a film, it's a show (even as a limited series). They don't "waste" big teasers on shows. Not yet anyway.
    And that's exactly the problem, no one focus on her own lore and character and wish for bunch of irrelevant randos. And MCU is correcting that.
    People never bother to know her own character, her own lore, and maybe make theories based on that.(And really, I predicted that Darkhold prophecy thing in 2017 and it's not that hard of a theory to make given some basic lore knowledge.)
    Do you know how annoying it is to be among bunch of "fans" who probably don't even care about the supposed main character of a show?
    Anyway, I am just glad the creators did the right choice by bringing in things that actually matter to her.

Now that it has ended, do you wish that Magneto and Polaris had appeared in Wandavision?

BANNED

nope, the show quite honestly handled her powers and title reason waaaay better than robinson's solo, simple but expansive, straight to the point in that she's a witch.

BesidesLorna and magneto deserve their own focus not to overcomplicate and serve as decoration to mcu wanda, the two sides dont need one another
    Last edited by Ferro; 03-08-2021 at 10:51 AM.