Page 81 of 97 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1446
    Astonishing Member

Officially, still not. But they are definitely teasing it there. Hope it’s not a fake out…

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

It depends if they will stay with the SWORD version of "We agreed to be considered family even if we are not" or if they reveal something else about their past. It could be either one but at least Krakoa´s link to Wanda may mean she´s considered a mutant by the island.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVAvmk9Ms-Z/

Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleredhat View Post
    What this family needs is a common enemy. A reason for all of them to come together and get to know one another.

Fortunately they all have dozens of great foes to fight. More than enough to support an ongoing.

Just off the top of my head.

The High Evolutionary

Cuthon

All the Nazi Villains

Maximus the Mad (no I don't believe he's dead and really want a follow up to Silent War)

Exxodus

Magneto's clone

Kaladane

Any others?
    This is better off in the 616 Magnus family thread then the HoM thread. But, you are onto something. Though I tend to see the Magnus family working best as Xavier and his followers best friends and worse possible enemies all roled up into one.

There is not a lot of opponents that can present a problem to the HoM other then those inside the mutant community or ones directly outside it they can’t fight openly without presenting problems.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-14-2021 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Great image, thanks JMC

This is better off in the 616 Magnus family thread then the HoM thread. But, you are onto something. Though I tend to see the Magnus family working best as Xavier and his followers best friends and worse possible enemies all roled up into one.

There is not a lot of opponents that can present a problem to the HoM other then those inside the mutant community or ones directly outside it they can’t fight openly without presenting problems.
    I love the idea of them facing a common foe as a family. I propose Evolutionary first, he´s too close to their story for it to be a coincidence imo.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Spectacular Member maximoffimpact's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    think if Pietro were a girl, fandom would not treat him being Magneto’s obviously least liked child as being a funny joke.

Yeah because abuse against men it’s funny or something.

Like yeah I laugh with some of the jokes but honestly I don’t feel like people really understand the relationship between those two, it’s beyond some funny lines to mock, Magneto has abused Pietro physically, psychologically and emotionally for years since their first interaction. Erik may love his children but that doesn’t matter if his actions are like that (I would include panels but I don’t have any in my phone).

I’ve seen people acting like Pietro’s resentment and distrust against his father is an exaggeration and I really believe that people is stuck with the most recent comics and doesn’t know a **** about Pietro. Magneto literally made him and his sister be his soldiers when they were teenagers, orphans teenagers that didn’t have another place to go, he abused them there knowing well they couldn’t leave! It’s canon the he made people attack them when they were sleeping as a way of “training” (they had orders to not harm them but the twins didn’t know that). He tried to use a teenager Wanda to seduce Namor and make him join his Brotherhood, Namor ended up rejecting him because he couldn’t stand someone being so shitty to his subordinates, specially a lady. Then when they left he kidnapped them and on panel physically abused Pietro, when we were in the arc that would reveal the twin’s parents to learn the truth he attacked Bova, the sweet cow lady that is a maternal figure for the Maximoff. After discovering the truth he didn’t become any better, taking Pietro to Genosha and then not giving a **** when he was in mortal danger because he was a “bad son”.

During the House of M storyline Pietro went to him and begged for his help because Wanda was in danger and Erik did nothing! He fought against the heros for his damn cause uncountable times but to save his daughter his was a pussy? And when Pietro and Wanda gave the son of a bitch the perfect world he wanted and the truth was exposed Erik killed his own son! Why? Because the heros were blaming him for this bullshit! Erik killed Pietro for his reputation?!

And this is only the 616 universe, don’t make me start with canon AUs (like Ultimates or Noir) or the cartoons, where mostly the abuse is repeated, specially in context where Mags is the one that raised him.

Also I have to be honest I don’t feel Magneto is that better with Wanda or Lorna, it’s just his bullshit with Pietro is quite constant and more explored and usually more physical and direct, but he has been pretty shitty with his daughters too.
    From my recollection, all true. To add/expand on one of your points, in Avengers # 49 (Magneto on a black background with Wanda & Pietro on puppet strings IIRC. The total story ran through issues 47 - 49 of Avengers.) he used his powers to manipulate a situation
    and cause a police officers gun to fire, then guided the bullet from it to intentionally graze Wanda's temple, wounding her and causing Pietro in an angry and panicked state, to turn against the Avengers and humans. That was all done to get them back into his Brotherhood. Wanda was too wounded to voice an opinion about that, but the twins flew off with Magneto, leaving the Avengers. Wanda's powers as a result of that injury seemed to be gone, or went dormant for a while. Her powers returned when she was kidnapped by Arkon, who chose her as his mate in Avengers# 75. The travel through an energy ring (energy from Earth's Atom bomb?) surrounding Arkon's world somehow reactivated Wanda's powers.

The only times of witnessing Magneto exhibiting any loving, fatherly behavior towards Wanda directly that I can recall was through the Disassembled, and House of M and Children's Crusade period. I believe that a combination of Wanda's sense of family ties combined with the care that Magneto displayed to her when she was at her lowest point in life during AD, HOM and CC, cracked open that door slightly in her seeing him as more than just evil. It didn't take away anything for her of all the horrible things he had done before, but it did show her the good he was capable of...just don't put your full trust in Magneto because that horrid side to him is always there, able to come out in a moment's notice. It's a.complicated relationship, that Wanda can give him credit when he deserves it and call him out when it's called for. She lightly called him out when she arrived at the Gala.

baumblume

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    Beatiful art thank you baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I love the idea of them facing a common foe as a family. I propose Evolutionary first, he´s too close to their story for it to be a coincidence imo.
    If you want to shoot down the Axis retcon you have to deal with the High Evolutionary.

Perhaps the Red Skull and his family would make a good human set of adversaries. In terms of mutants I like the idea of the family as Xavier and his followers best friends, but also representing a different view on mutantkind making them great foils at the same time. Best friends and worst enemies rolled up into one.

If you want to shoot down the Axis retcon you have to deal with the High Evolutionary.
    Yes I hope they talk about Axis, about Magneto previous alliance with him and about Magda and or Natalya when they confront him on this, its neccesary and I get the sense he´s been manipulating events around the family for years.

Perhaps the Red Skull and his family would make a good human set of adversaries. In terms of mutants I like the idea of the family as Xavier and his followers best friends, but also representing a different view on mutantkind making them great foils at the same time. Best friends and worst enemies rolled up into one.
    They are great foils, I don´t think the present Krakoa era leads to this type of characterization but I could see them having differences over how to approach a problem. I think they are best when they truly like and respect each other as friends and yet have differences on such a fundamental way that they can´t help but fight each other over it as much as they respect each other.

They are great foils, I don´t think the present Krakoa era leads to this type of characterization but I could see them having differences over how to approach a problem. I think they are best when they truly like and respect each other as friends and yet have differences on such a fundamental way that they can´t help but fight each other over it as much as they respect each other.
    No era since M-Day has lent itself to that core concept. The Revolutionary Scott era was horrible for Lorna though pretty good for Mags. But, you are right they can have differences and still be representative of a different tact and ethos while being one big family on a mutant nation.

No era since M-Day has lent itself to that core concept. The Revolutionary Scott era was horrible for Lorna though pretty good for Mags. But, you are right they can have differences and still be representative of a different tact and ethos while being one big family on a mutant nation.
    I think the problem with the Utopia era was not exactly the era itself but the fact writers wanted to take Lorna back into just being Havok´s girlfriend and send them both to space while ignoring the emotional ¿consequences to her for Genosha and M-Day, it was until later PAD explored this a little with her and Pietro on X-factor and Magneto was there to be the new father figure for Scott because he was angry at Charles and Mike Carey and Fraction made good use of the situation to further develop him into a more middle point, like he was in the 80´s.

So I would say the main problem for Lorna is not the era, it´s the fact writers keep trying to send her back into a previous characterization for a story that is not about her, Krakoa and her place in X-men have avoided this and I hope Duggan explores her character well in his title. I agree with you that what we need to know about Lorna more than anything is her pov on ethics, Krakoa and how different is her approach to problem when compared to Jean, Rogue or Laura. How different she sees things.

I think the problem with the Utopia era was not exactly the era itself but the fact writers wanted to take Lorna back into just being Havok´s girlfriend and send them both to space while ignoring the emotional ¿consequences to her for Genosha and M-Day, it was until later PAD explored this a little with her and Pietro on X-factor and Magneto was there to be the new father figure for Scott because he was angry at Charles and Mike Carey and Fraction made good use of the situation to further develop him into a more middle point, like he was in the 80´s.

So I would say the main problem for Lorna is not the era, it´s the fact writers keep trying to send her back into a previous characterization for a story that is not about her, Krakoa and her place in X-men have avoided this and I hope Duggan explores her character well in his title. I agree with you that what we need to know about Lorna more than anything is her pov on ethics, Krakoa and how different is her approach to problem when compared to Jean, Rogue or Laura. How different she sees things.
    That is a good way of putting it. The comfy zone for most of her writers including Bunn post Decimation was Claremontian pathos for her meaning possessed vs free (which is frankly terrible for the character), but nostalgia has a way of covering over terrible ideas. Her being a Summers bother love interest and her being a generic character with a blog standard X-Men views are also horrible ideas that nostalgia covers over. Malice doesn't function like the Dark Phoenix Saga sorry it wasn't a good story in the first place. The only possession story ever done well for Lorna was her being possessed by the memories of the last moments of the Genoshan people which Marvel has memory holed.

Bunn's run died for me completely when he took her back to possession pathos and had her basically in tears over breaking the pendent of an alternate Malice. His concept of Lorna was so retrograde I couldn't give him any credit by the end for the bits of good he did do as he got the core so wrong.

No her new run has not fallen into that trap yet. But, we also don't know who she is really yet. We will see if issue five helps elucidate that a bit more.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2021 at 01:43 PM.

That is a good way of putting it. The comfy zone for most of her writers including Bunn post Decimation was Claremontian pathos for her meaning possessed vs free (which is frankly terrible for the character), but nostalgia has a way of covering over terrible ideas. Her being a Summers bother love interest and her being a generic character with a blog standard X-Men views are also horrible ideas that nostalgia covers over. Malice doesn't function like the Dark Phoenix Saga sorry it wasn't a good story in the first place. The only possession story ever done well for Lorna was her being possessed by the memories of the last moments of the Genoshan people which Marvel has memory holed.

Bunn's run died for me completely when he took her back to possession pathos and had her basically in tears over breaking the pendent of an alternate Malice. His concept of Lorna was so retrograde I couldn't give him any credit by the end for the bits of good he did do as he got the core so wrong.

No her new run has not fallen into that trap yet. But, we also don't know who she is really yet. We will see if issue five helps elucidate that a bit more.
    I certainly hope so, the art with Lorna being mad already looks like they are going to tackle her personality more as well as what´s driving her as part of the X-men.

I certainly hope so, the art with Lorna being mad already looks like they are going to tackle her personality more as well as what´s driving her as part of the X-men.
    I think we will at least get a better idea of half of Lorna's personality that is not touched yet though matters as in what happens when the gloves come off. The other aspect of why she joined the team meaning what is her motivation would be great to know as well, though that might be a bridge too far for this issue. We will have to wait and see.