Page 60 of 97 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    I want Wanda to come to Krakoa and seek to rehabilitate her image among mutantkind but slowly over time

And it's also a journey for her own sake of "finding herself"

My opinion on magic: don't care for it, does not belong in any X-stuff. X-stuff is inherently more sci-fi and grounded and systematically explainable.

Wanda as a mutant who is essentially an "inverted Domino" works just great.

The problem with "well there's already Lorna why do you guys want Wanda too":

1) Used to have Wanda long ago she was stolen from us

2) Wanda is super popular, Lorna is not

3) Wanda adds various aspects to the familial dynamics both personality terms and ability terms and her social connections which make her contribute greatly in theory

The major obstacle is both a lot of characters in-universe detesting her for what she did, as well as many fans still. Both can be overcome with time and care.
    Good thing she isn't an X-character.
    Except she has long evolved beyond just a mere mutant, since like 70s, are you really suggesting ditching her own lore and stories in favor of "making her part of X-franchise again"? This actually sounds like character theft.
    Again, she is not an X-character, unless by stealing you mean in the bloody 60s.
    Wanda is popular thanks to her presnece in the MCU and that is due to her materials in Avengers comics.
    She mostly contribute as a plot device.

My opinion on magic: don't care for it, does not belong in any X-stuff. X-stuff is inherently more sci-fi and grounded and systematically explainable.

Wanda as a mutant who is essentially inverted Domino was a thing that only existed in the Brotherhood and early Avengers days... You care that much about her based on those comics? I don't think so, cause she wasn't even Magneto's daughter back then. All the stuff involving Wanda as Magneto's daughter already had her as a magical character. In fact House of M, Disassembled and Children's Crusade, the stories where their connection matter the most, all heavily revolve around her powers.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 07-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.

1) Used to have Wanda long ago she was stolen from us.
    Lol, what? The character that was only in UXM for nine issues, rarely made appearances after that, and was an Avenger for over 50 years was not stolen from you.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

I want Wanda to come to Krakoa and seek to rehabilitate her image among mutantkind but slowly over time

3) Wanda adds various aspects to the familial dynamics both personality terms and ability terms and her social connections which make her contribute greatly in theory

The major obstacle is both a lot of characters in-universe detesting her for what she did, as well as many fans still. Both can be overcome with time and care.
    It’s the same comic book company. Wanda was not stolen. Considering how popular WandaVision is she works just fine as a witch.

And magic has been a part of the X-Men for decades. All the immortal mutants like Selene and Apocalyse do sorcery. Captain Britain has a magic sword that lets her travel between dimensions. Ten of Swords was about their connections to OtherWorld. Characters like Magik and Madelyne Pryor also use their magic.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Wanda as a mutant who is essentially inverted Domino was a thing that only existed in the Brotherhood and early Avengers days... You care that much about her based on those comics? I don't think so, cause she wasn't even Magneto's daughter back then. All the stuff involving Wanda as Magneto's daughter already had her as a magical character. In fact House of M, Disassembled and Children's Crusade, the stories where their connection matter the most, all heavily revolve around her powers.
    She had already trained under Agatha Harkness when she found out Magneto was her father. So yes.

She had helped Dr. Strange and the Abengers beat elder gods.

Her magical side as just as much who she is as her mutant side.

I think a better take is simply that Lorna and Wanda are two very different characters with very different perspectives and qualities they have to offer, both as their own characters and within the family. Popularity, length of time, etc have an impact, but those elements are secondary to possibilities that are unique to and collaborative with each.

I'm more interested in what Lorna and Wanda can do as sisters. Dynamics with Magneto matter, but they're not as interesting to me by comparison. And on that "there's already Lorna so why have Wanda as a daughter" front, I've noted before that comics have a problem of artificial scarcity of roles for female characters that they don't apply to male characters (e.g. Thor and Loki both being Odin's sons, there being 3 Summers brothers, etc). So having one daughter of Magneto doesn't block off or cheapen another daughter of Magneto - unless Marvel decides to act that way. Which at that point becomes a matter of calling out Marvel for the behavior rather than idly accepting it.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

The relationship with Wanda and Magneto and Lorna and Magneto directly feeds into the issue if Wanda and Lorna do develop a relationship as sisters if it works or not.

The family dynamics in the House of M universe as last seen in Civil War House of M and Secret War House of M mostly worked because they each maintained a role and distinct relationship to the other component of the family. The main thing that damaged Secret War House of M was they decided to have Pietro act too out of character to push the plot forward which wasn't necessary, especially when they had a perfectly good rational for him sparking a war between Namor and Magneto of wanting to give his father the action he craved.

Magneto being harder on Lorna then Wanda to try to set her up as his heir is actually something I have no problem with and would be in character for their relationship. But, it also shouldn't be forced in moments that feel out of character for either of them.

The real power of the Magnus family is not in Lorna or Wanda or Magnus and Lorna or Wanda and Magnus, or Pietro and Wanda... its in the relationships cross connecting all of them and rebuilt as a family unit I have no doubt they would surpass the Fantastic Four.

In terms of AbnormallyNormal I understand his anger at the ethos of the new X-Men feeling to him like a throwback and not philosophically complex. I would just say either give it time or don’t, but it doesn’t make sense to take it out on Lorna whose opinion and goals we haven’t gotten yet.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-13-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    She had already trained under Agatha Harkness when she found out Magneto was her father. So yes.

She had helped Dr. Strange and the Abengers beat elder gods.

Her magical side as just as much who she is as her mutant side.
    The mutant side wasn't even as explored as the magic side. Which is saying something.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I think a better take is simply that Lorna and Wanda are two very different characters with very different perspectives and qualities they have to offer, both as their own characters and within the family. Popularity, length of time, etc have an impact, but those elements are secondary to possibilities that are unique to and collaborative with each.

I'm more interested in what Lorna and Wanda can do as sisters. Dynamics with Magneto matter, but they're not as interesting to me by comparison. And on that "there's already Lorna so why have Wanda as a daughter" front, I've noted before that comics have a problem of artificial scarcity of roles for female characters that they don't apply to male characters (e.g. Thor and Loki both being Odin's sons, there being 3 Summers brothers, etc). So having one daughter of Magneto doesn't block off or cheapen another daughter of Magneto - unless Marvel decides to act that way. Which at that point becomes a matter of calling out Marvel for the behavior rather than idly accepting it.
    I don't know how anyone could say Lorna is not popular when she won the poll to be on the main team. Maybe not MCU popular but that's only a few good showings away from changing. She only had the chance to be on a show and not movies yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I don't know how anyone could say Lorna is not popular when she won the poll to be on the main team. Maybe not MCU popular but that's only a few good showings away from changing. She only had the chance to be on a show and not movies yet.
    I'd say people are more aware of her now, but not to the level where she's popular in the public awareness sense just yet.

She's increasingly popular among people who know she exists. There's been a steadily growing awareness that she needs and deserves more than she's gotten over the decades, and depths to the character Marvel hasn't spent anywhere near enough time exploring. Gifted gave her a big boost on both fronts since it was the first time anyone had a chance to see her in a prominent position with a good depiction (which I credit mainly to Emma Dumont really digging deep to understand and express the character). That combination is why Lorna ended up the breakout character on Gifted despite the show's promo materials and Marvel's comics clearly thinking Blink was going to be the breakout established character. If the poll happened a decade ago, Lorna would have lost due to lack of awareness, with misuse of her as a plot device or "this character's supporting character girlfriend" being all most people knew about her.

She's had a lot of progress, but she's still got a ways to go before I would say she's popular. Ultimately it's down to when and how. Lorna being on the flagship team, with what looks to be good writing for her (of what we've seen so far), is a positive step down that path.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Wanda was a mutant but she didnīt have a lot of interactions with the X-men or with other mutants with the exception of Pietro, Magneto, Firestar, Justice and sometimes the X-men during crossovers like Bloodties and Onslaught so if sheīs getting her mutant identity back it would be nice to show her having meanful interactions with all of them imo because itīs a good opportunity to develop more stories and to truly leave behind the HoM and decimation era imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Salarta
    She's had a lot of progress, but she's still got a ways to go before I would say she's popular. Ultimately it's down to when and how. Lorna being on the flagship team, with what looks to be good writing for her (of what we've seen so far), is a positive step down that path.
    Agreed she had a good showing in the Gifted and itīs ovbious people want to read more about her given she won fairly the X-men poll with even writers favorites being there like Sunspot and Cannonball but I think all of us who voted for her think itīs just the time for her to have her own character focused stories and X-men under Duggan is an excellent place to begin this journey for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmc247
    The real power of the Magnus family is not in Lorna or Wanda or Magnus and Lorna or Wanda and Magnus, or Pietro and Wanda... its in the relationships cross connecting all of them and rebuilt as a family unit I have no doubt they would surpass the Fantastic Four.
    Agreed completely one of the things that make the Magnus family stand out for me is the different connections they have across the main marvel universe, they unite the X-side, the Avengers side, the Inhumans side, the cosmic side in a natural way, symply because they are related and the fact this didnīt happen from the beggining, with a writers thinking of them as a family unit, this happened with the natural interaction of them on different titles with their own stories is something that makes this a truly interesting story of characters with all kinds of backgrounds and perspectives joined by relationship and blood that could give a lot of different new stories together while also allowing them their individual stories.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'd say people are more aware of her now, but not to the level where she's popular in the public awareness sense just yet.

She's increasingly popular among people who know she exists. There's been a steadily growing awareness that she needs and deserves more than she's gotten over the decades, and depths to the character Marvel hasn't spent anywhere near enough time exploring. Gifted gave her a big boost on both fronts since it was the first time anyone had a chance to see her in a prominent position with a good depiction (which I credit mainly to Emma Dumont really digging deep to understand and express the character). That combination is why Lorna ended up the breakout character on Gifted despite the show's promo materials and Marvel's comics clearly thinking Blink was going to be the breakout established character. If the poll happened a decade ago, Lorna would have lost due to lack of awareness, with misuse of her as a plot device or "this character's supporting character girlfriend" being all most people knew about her.

Wanda had similar popularity until she was given a chance in movies. I believe it'd be the same for Polaris. Characters just need a chance to shine on the big screen in front of millions or billions in some cases.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Wanda was a mutant but she didnīt have a lot of interactions with the X-men or with other mutants with the exception of Pietro, Magneto, Firestar, Justice and sometimes the X-men during crossovers like Bloodties and Onslaught so if sheīs getting her mutant identity back it would be nice to show her having meanful interactions with all of them imo because itīs a good opportunity to develop more stories and to truly leave behind the HoM and decimation era imo.

Agreed she had a good showing in the Gifted and itīs ovbious people want to read more about her given she won fairly the X-men poll with even writers favorites being there like Sunspot and Cannonball but I think all of us who voted for her think itīs just the time for her to have her own character focused stories and X-men under Duggan is an excellent place to begin this journey.
    I think it’s why Wanda has slowly been more of a presence in the Xbooks. They are going to restore her mutant identity and she will have meaningful interactions with other mutants.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I think it’s why Wanda has slowly been more of a presence in the Xbooks. They are going to restore her mutant identity and she will have meaningful interactions with other mutants.
    I hope this is the case
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Wanda had similar popularity until she was given a chance in movies. I believe it'd be the same for Polaris. Characters just need a chance to shine on the big screen in front of millions or billions in some cases.
    Wanda was more popular then Lorna in 2004 pre M-Day when they first met as sisters and went to Genosha, but not much more popular I would say.

Today Magneto and Wanda are very popular characters globally as in household names with huge amounts of merchandise. Lorna and Pietro are pretty similar in popularity among the masses I would say with better name recognition for Quicksilver though both are two steps down from Wanda and Magneto who have reached close to the top tier of popular global fictional characters.