Page 68 of 97 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1446

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Of what I've seen, spoilers:
    I think it says more about the people working at Marvel than about the characters owned by Marvel. My broadness in ascription is intentional.
    end of spoilers
    I don't know anymore. She's not the first offspring he's angered, haha.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I'm fine with Lorna and Magneto fighting as a general concept, but the how and why of it are important. As an example, Reed Richards and Sue Storm fighting can be good drama if it's not a lot of Reed slapping Sue around and spouting misogyny as a callback to a time long long ago.
    Agreed completely, the reason for their fight must have a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I have no issue with Lorna and Magneto fighting if there is just cause for it and it comes off vaguely in character for both of them. Over the past year its been a non-stop attempting to deconstruct their relationship and really tear it to pieces without having a real underlying dividing point to do so like Pietro and Magneto had over the issue of using or not using Wanda in House of M.

Exactly it feels like marvel just wants to tear down their relationship without an objective in mind and given they have not built it either just makes this more sad with the lost of potential.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed completely, the reason for their fight must have a good reason.
    They need a good reason, but how they get at that good reason is at least as important, potentially moreso. You can have Batman and Superman fighting over how to deal with a criminal, maybe Batman wants to torture him and Superman opposes torture under any circumstances, but it falls flat on its face if Superman is written as preventing that torture it by destroying everything Batman owns, revealing his secret identity and breaking all his bones. A fight between Lorna and Magneto needs to have an authentic reason and authentic methods and expressions to go with it. A good reason means nothing if they're not talking and acting like you would expect from them given their histories both together and as separate characters.

Exactly it feels like marvel just wants to tear down their relationship without an objective in mind and given they have not built it either just makes this more sad with the lost of potential.
    Aside from what I said above, I'm not sure about Marvel's motives for presenting the relationship this way. It could be that they mistakenly think that a good relationship between Lorna and Magneto is established well enough that they can show friction between them. It could be that people at Marvel who hate their relationship and want to kill it are driving these things, and they're hoping that misrepresentation will give them cover for a future retcon (whether explicitly said or de facto by never having them interact again). The fact of the matter is, Marvel since 2017 has been more of an obstacle to the Magnus family than a help. Fandom is making a better case for the family than the company that owns the legal rights the family.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I have read it, and I’m still processing everything. But I have to say, without spoiling anything, I haven’t been relieved of my concerns. I’m going to keep reading until the bitter end, but this is proving to be a mixed bag so far.

I just have read some scenes and so far I am just sad Lorna and Magneto relationship may not recover from this, they just talked like they hated each other for no real reason, this looks like it´s going towards a renewal in relations between Wanda and Pietro with Krakoa but Magneto may be send under a bus in exchange, so I guess his time working with the X-men is at an end and I am just sad. I will keep hope but I have a feeling this is how´s going to end. Sigh.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

I just have read some scenes and so far I am just sad Lorna and Magneto relationship may not recover from this
    7 years ago, we could have said the Magnus family might not recover from the Axis retcon. Yet we've had multiple events and merch that involved Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's kids, in addition to all the fan activity that persists.

Beware of self-fulfilling prophecies. If it doesn't have a good fix in sufficient time, I'm ready to shrug this whole event off as illegitimate in the same way that I and many other fans shrug off the Axis retcon as illegitimate.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Being family does not exclude having heated arguments ……. Lorna dished it out as good as she took it
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Being family does not exclude having heated arguments ……. Lorna dished it out as good as she took it
    This implies the heated argument in question makes sense within the context of both their perspectives on the world and their past interactions. A heated argument between Superman and his father Jonathan Kent wouldn't make much sense if Jonathan Kent is arguing that Superman should use his powers to commit genocide.

This implies the heated argument in question makes sense within the context of both their perspectives on the world and their past interactions. A heated argument between Superman and his father Jonathan Kent wouldn't make much sense if Jonathan Kent is arguing that Superman should use his powers to commit genocide.
    I did not enjoy the fight between lorna and magneto, he went out of his way to hurt her as she treated him like some kind of serial killer, all I was trying to say is that the pain went both ways, it wasn’t onesided
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

I did not enjoy the fight between lorna and magneto, he went out of his way to hurt her as she treated him like some kind of serial killer, all I was trying to say is that the pain went both ways, it wasn’t onesided
    Ah, understood then. I agree that arguments not being one-sided in the broad technical elements of writing sense is good.

7 years ago, we could have said the Magnus family might not recover from the Axis retcon. Yet we've had multiple events and merch that involved Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's kids, in addition to all the fan activity that persists.

Beware of self-fulfilling prophecies. If it doesn't have a good fix in sufficient time, I'm ready to shrug this whole event off as illegitimate in the same way that I and many other fans shrug off the Axis retcon as illegitimate.

You are right Salarta, the story is just beggning and I have yet to read the issue so I will give it the benefit of doubt, after all it´s just beggining and who knows how inferno will come into this because it looks like those two stories are going to be linked. You are right, lest not get into self fullfilling prophecies. I am enjoying what Duggan is doing with Lorna so I have some hope he can fix whatever is going to happen between them in this series.

Agreed, I will say this about them but for characters who have not interacted much they know each other too well and know what words would hurt them most and we could atribute this to them both being extremely emotional but yes, what they said to each other also hurted me, like ouch, I felt so bad for them both

As I said, I will give this the benefit of the doubt but so far, from what I have read, this looks like it wants to give the narrative that Magneto cares more for Wanda and Pietro than he does for Lorna and this is just false and unfair, he has shown care for the three of them in his own way, I felt like they are letting themselves be affected for nostalgia because the relationship between Lorna and Magneto before and after the revelation of their family ties usually has been better than between him and the twins.

Also that talk about him wanting Lorna to become "the perfect daughter" I am like, since when? he´s usually happy he has children at all.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-17-2021 at 09:45 PM.

I think it'd have landed better if Lorna just mentioned Mags messing up as a father. The whole wanting his kids to be perfect didn't happen for sure. He liked Wanda best for her powers at one point. He's never been father of the year, but I'm also not sure he'd insult someone for being mentally ill. That seems a bit off. He'd be mad that things didn't turn out his way, if one of his kids stood in the way of that. He'd definitely fight them, that has happened before. But it was definitely off.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think it'd have landed better if Lorna just mentioned Mags messing up as a father. The whole wanting his kids to be perfect didn't happen for sure. He liked Wanda best for her powers at one point. He's never been father of the year, but I'm also not sure he'd insult someone for being mentally ill. That seems a bit off. He'd be mad that things didn't turn out his way, if one of his kids stood in the way of that. He'd definitely fight them, that has happened before. But it was definitely off.
    The whole "perfect daughter" deal is entirely foreign to their history too. It wasn't present on Genosha, or with Mike Carey's Five Miles South of the Universe, or X-Factor #243, etc. If Magneto was truly so concerned about it, he wouldn't have spent decades hiding the fact Lorna's his daughter. If Lorna had truly felt a pressing need to be his "perfect daughter," Marvel would've had her saying and doing things involving Genosha these past 15 years, for starters. It's a whole lot of trying to make fetch happen.