Page 93 of 97 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1446
    baumblume

Mags as expected leaves Krakoa

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    From this point of view yes, maybe is better if marvel keeps the axis retcon if they are not willing to do the footwork to develop Wanda and Pietro relationship with Magneto beyond the disfunctionality or just jump into an apparently good relationship without addressing their issues and I am tired of magneto being their freudian excuse everytime marvel decides to make Wanda or Pietro have a hel turn.

I like it more when he has nuanced relationships with younger characters in a mentor kind of way, like he did with the New Mutants or the Original five or on X-men Blue, with Kitty or with Lorna when they were living on Genosha, right now I am burned off to any "family" relationship, since marvel goes out of their way to deny the reasons why they changed their status on AXIS and Leah decided out of the blue to deconstruct Lorna and Magneto´s relationship into a trope. So yes, no more "family" stories for me, at least for now or until marvel has some idea of what to do with the characters and not just for selling reasons or for publicity
    I am in the same boat. Trial of Magneto burned me out of any Magnus family stuff for awhile.

In terms of Lorna and Magneto's relationship it was never more interesting than when they had to think about them as characters inside of archetypes that they can graft any sort of father-daughter relationship they want whole cloth from. You are right that was when they were on Genosha when they were father and daughter just not in name and they had to think about what bound them beyond DnA and did a good job with them.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-22-2021 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

I am in the same boat. Trial of Magneto burned me out of any Magnus family stuff for a very long time. The opinion seems to be shared.

You are right as well ToM did torch Lorna and Magneto's relationship as well to the level I don't want to see them interact for a long time until there is an actual good idea with them. They probably could have eased fans into an overbearing father story with more subtly, but that wasn't how it went.

But, in terms of Lorna and Magneto's relationship it was never more interesting than when they had to think about them as characters inside of archetypes that they can graft any sort of father-daughter relationship they want whole cloth from. You are right that was when they were on Genosha when they were father and daughter just not in name and they had to think about what bound them beyond DnA and did a good job with them.

House of M did a good and mostly consistent job as well because them having to hold up the weight of the world binds them, while other conflicts tear at them. There is no big thing binding them.
    they are his kids.
    Last edited by Wallcloud; 12-21-2021 at 12:31 PM.

Pietro and Wanda are his kids.
    That books says it for us,fans. they are Magnetos kids,the book is only a messenger of a big story .. i think we’ll get a big magneto family story when the new marvel movie hits the cinemas .

I think we'll get a magneto and his kids book

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallcloud View Post
    Pietro and Wanda are his kids.
    That books says it for us,fans. they are Magnetos kids,the book is only a messenger of a big story .. i think we’ll get a big magneto family story when the new marvel movie hits the cinemas .
    If the rumors about MoM are true this is a big possibility but I am not sure, Magneto and his family don´t get solo series often and right now it looks more like he´s going to go to the X-men Red title, unless Marvel is interested in undoing the Axis retcon or they want to address their possible appareances on MoM but if they do this I hope they choose someone like Ewing, Jim Zub, Claremont or Carey to write the story.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

The story to me ended well, and how I expected.

Wandavision was tied for fourth most streamed TV show of 2021 according to Business Insider with 32.3 times more streams than an average TV show which is just slightly behind Stranger Things and the Mandalorian

Its influence on the Magnus family this year was rather large because people watched the Wandavision and immediately looked at the critical reviews, news articles, and social media reviews about it which almost all linked it to some comic book series House of M.

Sales of House of M through Ebook and trade went through the roof and suddenly everyone is talking about House of M online and even characters like Polaris are trending on google trends of search terms like they are appearing in a successful TV show and currently airing. Lorna's only comparable boost in searches for the character was while The Gifted season one was airing.

That probably led to Trial of Magneto and certainly has mainstreamed the Magnus family as an idea to a new generation of genre fans.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-23-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Yes, how unfortunate Wanda's worst comic remains the most popular and her entire character will be defined by a small proportion of her actual history for a lot of new fans. And the larger fandom grows even more insufferable as people keep demanding her to pull an HOM in MCU and bring them mutants.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yes, how unfortunate Wanda's worst comic remains the most popular and her entire character will be defined by a small proportion of her actual history for a lot of new fans. And the larger fandom grows even more insufferable as people keep demanding her to pull an HOM in MCU and bring them mutants.
    Dr. Strange brought over the SONY verse and yes Marvel has future plans for Andrew Garfield and Tobey Macguire.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Dr. Strange brought over the SONY verse and yes Marvel has future plans for Andrew Garfield and Tobey Macguire.
    Great, now make them children of Magneto instead. I am an advocate for equal suffering for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Its a situation very similar to the one Jean fans who wanted her completely divorced from any cosmic bird faced for decades. It became her biggest and most influential story. Its pull was inescapable and even if she has a few years away from it she will always be pulled back into it.

Fans who want Wanda divorced from anything Magnus family probably should have been rooting for Fox and DisMarvel to stay apart as once they were back together it was/is only a matter of time before the family becomes a unit again. There is too much money to be made otherwise. Wandavision itself mainstreamed the concept for the legions who watched it of her as willing and able to warp reality on a small scale to create a better world for her and her family.

I do think sometime over the next decade or two 'a version' of House of M will happen on the big screen. Its execution could and probably will be very different then what we know from the comics. The big idea of Wanda creating a paradise and tearing it asunder will probably be kept though.

The multiverse stuff going on for the next few films opens the door for Marvel to bring over the Fox x-characters they consider successful enough while recasting those that weren't.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-24-2021 at 07:35 AM.

Extraordinary Member

At least cosmic Chicken story is actually about Jean and I doubt there is a divide between cosmic fire chicken fans and Jean fans.
    I will be more than happy to have Nights of Wundagore/Busiek Avengers(and really, freaking anything that is not Byrne/Bendis) usurp HoM's place as her entry comic.

You seem to view HoM storyline as an essential story for Magnus family if I am not mistaken? Because you seem convinced that they will do this story on big screen once all actors are available?(Instead of doing literally anything else?) And a sincere question, would you value the individual characters' interests above the idea of the Magnus family? Because judging from the constant celebration of House of M, it seems to me Magnus family fans are way too happy to throw Wanda under the bus if it means their idea of the family can survive.

And I am less asking about the fact of HoM being popular and stuff, more about how you feel about it, do you sympathsize with Jean fans who want a break from Phoenix stuff and stop bringing them up and suggesting Jean having another go at cosmic fire chicken rehash? If so, do the same appllies to Wanda?(I am assuming you agree HoM is bad for Wanda's character here.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 12-24-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Jean had two big screen big budget movies as the cosmic bird I have understood and empathized with some of their fan's desire to be rid of anything bird related. But, they aren't a hive mind, some of their fans love it. I also think the MCU will give Jean another go as the bird to show they can do what Fox could not and make the story a smash box office winner, but not this decade.

I think in terms of Wanda one has to separate her warping reality to create a better world from the Magnus family itself. Wanda very well might be used in the MCU to re-align the Marvel universe without ever connecting her in any way to Magneto. If they don't connect her to Magneto and they very well might not I still expect them to use a barebones version of the House of M concept in the next decade or two.

My suspicion is if they do connect Wanda to Magneto in the films it will be a (I don't like the term, but) 'found family' concept. Where Magneto happens upon her in some multiverse realm and takes her under his wing. That would be more akin to their 60s and 70s status quo.
    Last edited by jmc247; 12-24-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I am fine with bare bone HoM if Wanda is a functional being without the obsession over something she already dealt with.(A Study in Scarlet deserve way more attention, since it's direct evidence how Bendis fucked up her character to suit the story.) But again I doubt it can be done in a convincing way. This story kinda need Wanda to be out of her mind. I hope WV is already MCU's version of HoM. And I generally resent the idea of her being a plot device/introduction tool for anyone that is not directly linked to her.(Magnus family doesn't count since they are separated by franchise.)

Found family for MCU Wanda would just be weird, she is already a grown ass woman who had her own parents.(Recently I am actually rather interested in the idea of comic Wanda actually talk to Magneto about Django and Marya and thus maybe bond over that I guess, and make them have an awkward but overall friendly relationship after enough time spent , but again they will probably avoid it just so they can keep selling the cheap lovey-dovey father-daughter relationship that came out of nowhere and fanfic-like.)

With all those considered, yeah, it's better to keep them separated. For MCU her being in Magnus family generally led to portrayal I don't care for, for comics, they straight up wouldn't ever bother earn their supposed emotional connection and resort to make-believe(which is how I feel about most of her interaction with Mag post-Busiek really). Now Wanda is likely getting another solo, hopefully this will at least become the new entry for new fans.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 12-24-2021 at 08:17 AM.