Page 26 of 110 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    It certainly fits. I think the Scarlet Witch solo even adapted the Age of Ultron idea of there being a 12 minute difference. Something silly that only siblings would care about. I often head canon that whenever they refer to Wanda being the elder twin, it’s because they like to take turns in who gets to be the older one as well as delighting in confusing everyone else.
    That's a good headcanon and makes up for the writer inconsistencies.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I'm not familiar with Marvel Comics enough to know are there any other siblings in the Marvel Universe in which one is a mutant and the other isn't? Wouldn't it be simpler to keep Wanda's and Pietro's origins...Well, simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Sure, they can bring him back. But it's just that Marvel doesn't do a good job of writing for their speedsters. It's tricky because they're seen as OP. I'm not sure if they're gonna handle Tommy right either. They seem to favor Billy more to me.
    Yeah but Wanda herself is OP. They just have to apply some limits here and there. Don't make them the solution to everything. Have Quicksilver tied up in a battle or a personal struggle. He doesn't always have to be the answer to everything.

I'm not familiar with Marvel Comics enough to know are there any other siblings in the Marvel Universe in which one is a mutant and the other isn't?
    Xavier and Cassandra immediately come to mind.

Oh, the reason why I liked the interview is because the showrunners actually ADDRESSED the whole issue about the lack of justice for the people of Westview. In the non-social media forums I frequent and the online articles I've read, this was a HUGE issue of contention for a lot of folks, and nobody who created the show actually came out to say anything about it...Until NOW. NOW I understand why they left things the way they were and how there is nothing Wanda can do to fix it FOR NOW. I just felt the finale gave the impression that Monica was giving some sort of absolution for Wanda which made the series end on a somewhat of a clunky note. I also feel by the showrunners even TALKING about the lack of justice for the people of Westview means that it's possible that Wanda could somehow find a way to fix things in the future. In the comments section from the tvline interview, folks STILL think Monica's line to Wanda at the end of the show was bullshit. And that it damaged the ending of the series. All I'm saying is that they could have handled it a bit better. And you also have comments about Wanda being the New Darth Vader of the MCU too, which is what me nervous about the conclusion of WandaVision in the first place! It's clear that Wanda's gonna have to face consequences for her actions in Westview, and that definitely makes me kind of apprehensive about what's gonna happen in Strange 2.

I agree with your earlier post on another thread. I was hoping for too much that they wouldn't bring the influences of Avengers Disassembled and House of M into WandaVision. In retrospect, that was an unrealistic expectation of mine. So that's my fault. I'm just bummed Wanda did bad things intentionally in her own show. I didn't like to see that. I'm not mad or upset or emotional about what happened. Just a little bit disappointed that she has to go on ANOTHER redemption arc! By the way, I just wanted to say that I like yours, GenericUsername's and CJStriker's posts the most! Very insightful and thoughtful!
    Right, I get it now. I think I was focusing more on the part where, people seemed to be criticizing Wanda herself for just walking out of the town instead of doing something, or the show's decision of not having her do more for them, than the whole "the narrative seems to be excusing her" especially with the Monica line, though from yesterday to now I've been seeing more comments about that specifically.

Like some people have already said, I feel like trying to apologize to them would only be worse from everybody. There's nothing Wanda can really do (at that moment at least?) that's gonna be enough. And the last time she was put on the spot, she accidentally started choking them. So really it's best for everyone that she just leaves and accept the situation for what it is.

I will say though, that I kinda understand where they were coming from. Wanda is the main character, and Monica is arguably the audience surrogate kind of character. Monica as someone who has also lost the most important person in her life and has felt hurt and lost, has created this huge empathy for Wanda. So I think the intended reaction is to be this sort of "Damn, it's so sad that Wanda caused all those people to suffer" in that way in which, you feel bad for Wanda's actions in the regards that you feel bad that she is guilty of that. It's not that we don't understand how much the people were done wrong, is that Wanda is the character we are emotionally connected to so it's sad when she does bad stuff, just like if, say, someone in your family commits a crime against some random unknown person. You're most likely to be shaken by the fact that it's someone you love doing that, and if you still love them, that they have to deal with that, than for the unknown victim themselves. The "walk of shame" scene as they said kinda resonated with me, cause it's painful to see Wanda being judged like that, especially when you know that they're not in the wrong to feel that.

And thanks, I'm glad you find my posts insightful. I find yours too, even if sometimes we disagree.

BANNED

I'm not familiar with Marvel Comics enough to know are there any other siblings in the Marvel Universe in which one is a mutant and the other isn't? Wouldn't it be simpler to keep Wanda's and Pietro's origins...Well, simple?
    betsy and brian braddock.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

The ones that immediately spring to mind are the twins Psylocke (Betsy Braddock, a mutant) and Captain Britain (Brian Braddock, who was given his powers via magic). There’s also Mystique’s biological children. Graydon Creed is human even with two mutant parents, while Nightcrawler (half-demon) and Raze (an alternate son with Wolverine) are both mutants. So having one or two mutant parents isn’t a guarantee of inheriting the X gene, even if it is high.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah but Wanda herself is OP. They just have to apply some limits here and there. Don't make them the solution to everything. Have Quicksilver tied up in a battle or a personal struggle. He doesn't always have to be the answer to everything.
    Look, I know Whedon got shat on for offing Pietro so quickly, but I DID like how he made Quicksilver tired after he ran for some time. It was realistic and grounded. Made him vulnerable. Maybe a little TOO vulnerable at the end of that movie. I think most people think the boner stuff in WandaVision was pretty funny and we had a pretty good laugh about it, but I still think it was a VERY cynical move on Marvel Studios' part and to think otherwise would be delusional. If I had my way, I'd get rid of the reveal, and focus on the aftermath of Wanda's and Vision's argument from Episode 5 in Episode 6. That fight was wrapped up too awkwardly in my opinion and that's because they spent so much time in Episode 6 on "Fietro". I think the producers of the show spread themselves too thin for no good reason. Given the entire season, I'd have cut Woo and Darcy entirely and given both their roles to Monica, which gives her more to do and, at least in the final episode she would then be responsible for stopping Hayward instead of standing around. I'm assuming they want her to be a leader in Sword and setting her up as a more majorly anti Hayward force would have made sense. I like Woo and Darcy, but I think Monica's character wasn't really fleshed out enough. I didn't like the fact that she didn't care about the residents of Westview like at ALL throughout the series even though she KNEW what they were going through. It made her look really feckless and her comments to Wanda at the end of the Episode 9 damaged her character in my view (Plenty of posters on other forums I frequent didn't like them either). Let's hope she's portrayed better in Captain Marvel 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Right, I get it now. I think I was focusing more on the part where, people seemed to be criticizing Wanda herself for just walking out of the town instead of doing something, or the show's decision of not having her do more for them, than the whole "the narrative seems to be excusing her" especially with the Monica line, though from yesterday to now I've been seeing more comments about that specifically.

Like some people have already said, I feel like trying to apologize to them would only be worse from everybody. There's nothing Wanda can really do (at that moment at least?) that's gonna be enough. And the last time she was put on the spot, she accidentally started choking them. So really it's best for everyone that she just leaves and accept the situation for what it is.

I will say though, that I kinda understand where they were coming from. Wanda is the main character, and Monica is arguably the audience surrogate kind of character. Monica as someone who has also lost the most important person in her life and has felt hurt and lost, has created this huge empathy for Wanda. So I think the intended reaction is to be this sort of "Damn, it's so sad that Wanda caused all those people to suffer" in that way in which, you feel bad for Wanda's actions in the regards that you feel bad that she is guilty of that. It's not that we don't understand how much the people were done wrong, is that Wanda is the character we are emotionally connected to so it's sad when she does bad stuff, just like if, say, someone in your family commits a crime against some random unknown person. You're most likely to be shaken by the fact that it's someone you love doing that, and if you still love them, that they have to deal with that, than for the unknown victim themselves. The "walk of shame" scene as they said kinda resonated with me, cause it's painful to see Wanda being judged like that, especially when you know that they're not in the wrong to feel that.

And thanks, I'm glad you find my posts insightful. I find yours too, even if sometimes we disagree.
    You bring up a lot of great points. Trust me, I've done a couple of walk of shames in my past and those experiences were pretty humbling to say the least. I do understand it was a really awkward situation for Wanda at the end there. I do think she felt guilt and shame, but couldn't express it at that time. I really liked Monica and thought Parris was flawlessly cast for the role. But I wish they could have spent a little bit more time on her backstory, especially her mom. REALLY reinforce what losing her did to her emotions. It happened pretty quickly in Episode 4. A few minutes more would have helped. But there wasn't enough time for that. That's why I would have cut Jimmy, Darcy and Fietro completely from the story. And I do think the series underutilized Hahn for long stretches...And I felt a little bit embarrassed for her at the end during that laser battle. She was getting to be pretty one-note at that point when she was much more nuanced previously. I felt so bad for Stamberg too. His Hayward must have been the lamest villain in MCU history and that's saying a LOT. Forums I lurk in seem to be very pleased with that tvline article, and so am I. It definitely talked about a lot of the stuff that I was interested in. Now I think Westview will stick with Wanda for a long time afterwards. Which is not something I'm thrilled by. All I can say is that I imagine her journey forward won't be an easy one.

I agree with you on another point. I also find my posts very insightful as well. Especially when they're discussing dick and fart jokes. Subjects I'm keenly interested in.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-10-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    betsy and brian braddock.
    Wow! I didn't know that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Xavier and Cassandra immediately come to mind.
    Thanks for the newsflash!

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    The ones that immediately spring to mind are the twins Psylocke (Betsy Braddock, a mutant) and Captain Britain (Brian Braddock, who was given his powers via magic). There’s also Mystique’s biological children. Graydon Creed is human even with two mutant parents, while Nightcrawler (half-demon) and Raze (an alternate son with Wolverine) are both mutants. So having one or two mutant parents isn’t a guarantee of inheriting the X gene, even if it is high.
    Oh wow. There is definitely precedence for having one sibling a mutant and his/her sibling not being one then. Interesting. By the way, I love yours and lucy's comments as well too. You folks have pretty rich imaginations. Mine is mostly dirty.

Incredible Member

It used to be that Sam Guthrie was the only mutant in his family. Now, I think all his siblings are mutants. And If Marvel wants to keep the idea of the X-gene being a mutation, then it's completely possible (and actually, should be common) for siblings and fraternal twins to be different. It's actually more freaky that most Marvel siblings seemed to have developed the same mutation.
    Paradoxically, there's a couple of instances of mutants not having mutant children: Pietro's daughter, Luna, and Sabertooth +Mystique's son, Graydon Creed. It should be more likely for children to inherit their parents' mutation, than for siblings to spontaneously develop the same mutation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    It used to be that Sam Guthrie was the only mutant in his family. Now, I think all his siblings are mutants. And If Marvel wants to keep the idea of the X-gene being a mutation, then it's completely possible (and actually, should be common) for siblings and fraternal twins to be different. It's actually more freaky that most Marvel siblings seemed to have developed the same mutation.
    Paradoxically, there's a couple of instances of mutants not having mutant children: Pietro's daughter, Luna, and Sabertooth +Mystique's son, Graydon Creed. It should be more likely for children to inherit their parents' mutation, than for siblings to spontaneously develop the same mutation.
    Thank you for sharing this very interesting and informative answer with me. I really appreciate you breaking things down for me. Maybe it's best that Pietro and Wanda have mutant and non-mutant origins respectively. I do feel he benefits from that connection.

Jean Grey is a mutant but her sister Sara was not

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    Not all of Sam's siblings are mutants. Most are, but there are a few that arent
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-10-2021 at 02:20 PM.