Page 89 of 110 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1641
    baumblume

baumblume

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Interesting article about the actress playing MCU's first female speedster, Makkari (Lauren Ridloff), in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/15/m...deaf-hero.html

I think it's great we're gonna get a deaf superhero. The reason why I bring this up is because I believe if Makkari is killed off in the Eternals, then maybe there will be more of a chance to see a Quicksilver return. Because if she survives, and Tommy does too in the Multiverse of Madness, then the MCU will have TWO speedsters. If you add Quicksilver, it'll be three. I kinda don't think Disney wants to have too many heroes with the exact same powers. And we here all know speedsters are notoriously hard to write. If Evan Peters doesn't come back, it'll be a waste. He's a pretty good actor, and he could have EASILY played another MCU character for years to come. I think if he does return, he probably WON'T be Quicksilver though. I just think it was SO shitty of Marvel to give EVERY Avenger from the first three phases, Nick Fury and Loki a series and/or movies, but Quicksilver was left out. I mean, what the ****?! I'm REALLY hoping Marvel Studios does a good job with Tommy. I actually saw some action set pieces on YouTube featuring Quicksilver, and they DID look really cool. However, they were not grounded. The movies slowed to a crawl and so did time when he went into action. In AoU, Pietro moved fast but MOST of the time practically everybody else was moving at NORMAL SPEED. Visually, that felt a little bit more realistic to me.
    They already have a bunch of people with the same powers, though

But I agree Quicksilver was wasted. The MCU can give a show to Hawkeye but not Quicksilver. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They already have a bunch of people with the same powers, though

But I agree Quicksilver was wasted. The MCU can give a show to Hawkeye but not Quicksilver. I don't get it.
    Speed is a power that's very tricky. It's hard to write. I think doing it for THREE characters would be extremely hard. Probably one of them would have to be removed. Whatever you think of Whedon's writing, I thought he handled Pietro's powers really well in AoU. It was somewhat realistic to me. And even though ATJ's version of Quicksilver was more similar to the comics than Evan Peters's version, there was enough of a difference to make it unique and distinguishable to me (personality wise). But I suppose that kind of thing is inevitable in adaptations.

I don't wanna knock Hawkeye fans, but I have to say Clint's adaptation from the comics to the movies is probably one of the worst ones in MCU history. I'd say the OVERWHELMING majority of comic book fans prefer the comic version of Hawkeye to the onscreen one. I'm actually one of them. Quicksilver had POSSIBLE potential in terms of story, but Hawkeye actually has REAL potential in terms of story. As GenericUsername told me last year, Clint actually starred in a book written by Matt Fraction and drawn by David Aja which was almost universally praised by critics and readers alike. Even I know it was wildly popular. There is NO WAY Feige is gonna NOT try to adapt a classic series like that for the MCU. This reviewer even stated that it changed her from a casual reader to a full-blown nerd after completing the series:

https://ew.com/article/2015/03/02/fa...marvel-comics/

I don't think Pietro ever had a series that had an impact on Marvel Comics like Hawkeye's did. So I'm okay with giving Clint a series on Disney Plus. Quicksilver has cool powers, but the story's GOTTA come BEFORE the powers. Hawkeye definitely has a story to tell. I wish Pietro had one as well. I mean I REALLY need to read a classic Quicksilver story. BADLY.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 09-25-2021 at 01:32 PM.

baumblume

Ultimate Member

Speed is a power that's very tricky. It's hard to write. I think doing it for THREE characters would be extremely hard. Probably one of them would have to be removed. Whatever you think of Whedon's writing, I thought he handled Pietro's powers really well in AoU. It was somewhat realistic to me. And even though ATJ's version of Quicksilver was more similar to the comics than Evan Peters's version, there was enough of a difference to make it unique and distinguishable to me (personality wise). But I suppose that kind of thing is inevitable in adaptations.
    I actually liked ATJ's version. His personality was underdeveloped but had potential, and he had a reasonable power level. I'm pretty sure Tommy doesn't have the exact same powers as Pietro, though.

I don't wanna knock Hawkeye fans, but I have to say Clint's adaptation from the comics to the movies is probably one of the worst ones in MCU history. I'd say the OVERWHELMING majority of comic book fans prefer the comic version of Hawkeye to the onscreen one. I'm actually one of them. Quicksilver had POSSIBLE potential in terms of story, but Hawkeye actually has REAL potential in terms of story. As GenericUsername told me last year, Clint actually starred in a book written by Matt Fraction and drawn by David Aja which was almost universally praised by critics and readers alike. Even I know it was wildly popular. There is NO WAY Feige is gonna NOT try to adapt a classic series like that for the MCU. This reviewer even stated that it changed her from a casual reader to a full-blown nerd after completing the series:

https://ew.com/article/2015/03/02/fa...marvel-comics/
    I get that but MCU Clint honestly sucks, and a show about him struggles to pique my interest. Whereas even the little we got of MCU Pietro/Fietro interests me way more. It's hard for me to see any story potential with MCU Clint.

I don't think Pietro ever had a series that had an impact on Marvel Comics like Hawkeye's did. So I'm okay with giving Clint a series on Disney Plus. Quicksilver has cool powers, but the story's GOTTA come BEFORE the powers. Hawkeye definitely has a story to tell. I wish Pietro had one as well. I mean I REALLY need to read a classic Quicksilver story. BADLY.
    I haven't read Fraction's run yet but I can't say there's anything that makes me like comics Hawkeye more than comics Quicksilver. And IMO powers and story come at the same time.

I actually liked ATJ's version. His personality was underdeveloped but had potential, and he had a reasonable power level. I'm pretty sure Tommy doesn't have the exact same powers as Pietro, though.

I get that but MCU Clint honestly sucks, and a show about him struggles to pique my interest. Whereas even the little we got of MCU Pietro/Fietro interests me way more. It's hard for me to see any story potential with MCU Clint.

I haven't read Fraction's run yet but I can't say there's anything that makes me like comics Hawkeye more than comics Quicksilver. And IMO powers and story come at the same time.
    I like ATJ and Peters's MCU versions of Quicksilver. I didn't mind Johnson's personality. I thought it was WAY better than how he is sometimes portrayed in the source material while at the same time closer to it. And as I said, I liked how Whedon showed MCU Pietro's powers without using set pieces that slowed movies down to a crawl. It was a very "realistic" portrayal of speedsters to me. I dunno what the hell is wrong with Marvel and speedsters. I mean, DC has zero issues making an awesome franchise out of the Flashes. Even Sega has created a successful franchise of HEDGEHOG speedsters as well. But Marvel doesn't know what to do with theirs. I thought Clint was an interesting character in the comic books. His costume could sometimes be RIDICULOUS however. I liked Quicksilver a lot too, but the comics never gave him a standout story. I think powers and story go hand-in-hand often as well, but Pietro just doesn't really have any famous stories to adapt for onscreen stuff in my opinion. He's just that dude who's known as Wanda's brother and Magneto's son. I blame the fact he doesn't have any notable storylines because of his "family connections". If Pietro had been given a notable series like Hawkeye got, Feige wouldn't have probably killed him off. So the comic books are to blame to some extent in my opinion. Pietro needs a great story to give him more prominence. I'm hoping that Tommy will get better treatment. But to me, he's ALREADY being overshadowed by his brother.

It's unfortunate but with Tommy around I think Pietro's chances of ever coming back to the MCU are slim.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    It's unfortunate but with Tommy around I think Pietro's chances of ever coming back to the MCU are slim.
    Dont give **** for hydra Wands kids.
    Last edited by baumblume; 09-25-2021 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    Dont give **** for hydra Wands kids.
    Ok did I ask you?

Ultimate Member

I like ATJ and Peters's MCU versions of Quicksilver. I didn't mind Johnson's personality. I thought it was WAY better than how he is sometimes portrayed in the source material while at the same time closer to it. And as I said, I liked how Whedon showed MCU Pietro's powers without using set pieces that slowed movies down to a crawl. It was a very "realistic" portrayal of speedsters to me. I dunno what the hell is wrong with Marvel and speedsters. I mean, DC has zero issues making an awesome franchise out of the Flashes. Even Sega has created a successful franchise of HEDGEHOG speedsters as well. But Marvel doesn't know what to do with theirs. I thought Clint was an interesting character in the comic books. His costume could sometimes be RIDICULOUS however. I liked Quicksilver a lot too, but the comics never gave him a standout story. I think powers and story go hand-in-hand often as well, but Pietro just doesn't really have any famous stories to adapt for onscreen stuff in my opinion. He's just that dude who's known as Wanda's brother and Magneto's son. I blame the fact he doesn't have any notable storylines because of his "family connections". If Pietro had been given a notable series like Hawkeye got, Feige wouldn't have probably killed him off. So the comic books are to blame to some extent in my opinion. Pietro needs a great story to give him more prominence. I'm hoping that Tommy will get better treatment. But to me, he's ALREADY being overshadowed by his brother.
    Idk if that's true. A lot of characters don't really have standout stories. Scott Lang doesn't, as far as I know. Idk if Natasha Romanov does either. So Idk if that's really a factor
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 09-25-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Well, they're keeping Wanda around as well as Billy. So Pietro and Tommy can coexist. WandaVision showed that to some extent

Well, they're keeping Wanda around as well as Billy. So Pietro and Tommy can coexist. WandaVision showed that to some extent
    Yeah but Wanda & Billy's powers are vastly different in a lot of ways. And their both their own people in ways I can't say the same for T & P. While Tommy has other powers besides Speed much like Pietro he struggles to stand out as it is & their personalities at least in comics is damn near the same why replicate & pay another actor for something you're already getting with 1.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I would say Steven Englehart was the main person guilty of reducing Pietro to his relationship with Wanda and a hateful opponent of Vision and their relationship, we can thank his influence to explain why Pietroīs characterization always gets the reset buttom when he interacts with Wanda on any Avengers team, with maybe the sole exception of Busiekīs run who started to question why Pietro doesnīt have deeper relationships with other Avengers besides Wanda and Crystal and even his old ones like Cap and Haweye are just once on a decade done.

On the X-side Peter David introduced great concepts for the character like why is he always so temperamental, because most things to him look slow all the time,heīs like Thing in that he canīt turn off his perception of other people even on down time and that can affect anybody on their daily lives but Pad didnīt give him yet any standout story of his own. The closest I can think of was that time he worked for Evolutionary but it was not very well written so it didnīt stand out on itīs own. So Yes I definitely agree he needs more solo stories not related to his inmediate family, some heroic story.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I would say Steven Englehart was the main person guilty of reducing Pietro to his relationship with Wanda and a hateful opponent of Vision and their relationship, we can thank his influence to explain why Pietroīs characterization always gets the reset buttom when he interacts with Wanda on any Avengers team, with maybe the sole exception of Busiekīs run who started to question why Pietro doesnīt have deeper relationships with other Avengers besides Wanda and Crystal and even his old ones like Cap and Haweye are just once on a decade done.

On the X-side Peter David introduced great concepts for the character like why is he always so temperamental, because most things to him look slow all the time,heīs like Thing in that he canīt turn off his perception of other people even on down time and that can affect anybody on their daily lives but Pad didnīt give him yet any standout story of his own. The closest I can think of was that time he worked for Evolutionary but it was not very well written so it didnīt stand out on itīs own. So Yes I definitely agree he needs more solo stories not related to his inmediate family, some heroic story.
    Quicksilver is another name for mercury. Here's one of the definitions for the adjective "mercurial":

4. Quick and changeable in temperament; volatile: a mercurial nature.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mercurial

I could quote Shakespeare here, but this post is already as presumptions as it gets, so I'll spare you this time, Lucy. :P