Page 46 of 110 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    The less convolution the better I say. My brother liked that Orphan Black show but thought it got too weird at the end. I don't want that to happen to the MCU.
    I semi agree but I don't want the MCU to be too Hollywood generic either

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I semi agree but I don't want the MCU to be too Hollywood generic either
    I concur with these sentiments. I don't think the MCU will ever be too Hollywood generic, but I think too much weirdness could definitely turn people off. I believe Marvel Studios has grounded things very well so far even in WandaVision.

https://www.looper.com/359462/wandav...ive-interview/

That Peters is one funny dude. "You're a fan of Steven Seagal?" Hilarious!

Ultimate Member

I concur with these sentiments. I don't think the MCU will ever be too Hollywood generic, but I think too much weirdness could definitely turn people off. I believe Marvel Studios has grounded things very well so far even in WandaVision.
    I guess "some weirdness" is a good amount!

I guess "some weirdness" is a good amount!
    I could tolerate some weirdness. But the comic books take it to degrees that will NEVER be acceptable to movie/television audiences I think. I believe Feige and his associates at Marvel Studios are well-aware of this fact.

Ultimate Member

I could tolerate some weirdness. But the comic books take it to degrees that will NEVER be acceptable to movie/television audiences I think. I believe Feige and his associates at Marvel Studios are well-aware of this fact.
    True. Some things don't make sense, especially the Silver Age. I still don't get why Hawkeye uses a bow or why Captain America doesn't have another weapon on his side (doesn't necessarily need to be a gun). Comics are full of stories not easily adapted to film if at all!

My problem is when they take a unique storyline other artists have put effort into and water it down to make it more "palatable" to the audience.

True. Some things don't make sense, especially the Silver Age. I still don't get why Hawkeye uses a bow or why Captain America doesn't have another weapon on his side (doesn't necessarily need to be a gun). Comics are full of stories not easily adapted to film if at all!

My problem is when they take a unique storyline other artists have put effort into and water it down to make it more "palatable" to the audience.
    As someone who has done archery, it can be pretty deadly and fast. And Hawkeye had arrows that dealt with each situation. Some that he created or Hank.

6a0a5bdc1a9ed13784bb45fe11266513.jpg

As far as Cap's shield, they did a good job translating it. It will always defy real life physics but fantasy characters were never meant to dissected on that level. They are meant to do the impossible. They are a power fantasy. We don't have vibranium, super powers, etc. in the real world, so that stuff isn't possible at all. There has to be suspension of disbelief.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    As someone who has done archery, it can be pretty deadly and fast. And Hawkeye had arrows that dealt with each situation. Some that he created or Hank.

6a0a5bdc1a9ed13784bb45fe11266513.jpg

As far as Cap's shield, they did a good job translating it. It will always defy real life physics but fantasy characters were never meant to dissected on that level. They are meant to do the impossible. They are a power fantasy. We don't have vibranium, super powers, etc. in the real world, so that stuff isn't possible at all. There has to be suspension of disbelief.
    Yeah, but why doesn't Hawkeye use a gun to shoot the same projectiles? You're telling me Iron Man can't invent that? If bows are so dangerous, why don't we still use them anymore. It's hard for me to believe that.

I like Cap's shield, I just think it's a bad idea for him to throw it and not have any defense at that time.

Incredible Member

Yeah, but why doesn't Hawkeye use a gun to shoot the same projectiles? You're telling me Iron Man can't invent that? If bows are so dangerous, why don't we still use them anymore. It's hard for me to believe that.

I like Cap's shield, I just think it's a bad idea for him to throw it and not have any defense at that time.
    I think the advantage of bow and arrow over a gun is that it makes less noise, so you can be more stealthy. Also, bow and arrows are perceived as less lethal than guns...and I suppose a hero that just uses guns for everything might glamorize the use of guns?

But all of that pales to the fact that characters like Hawkeye and Green Arrow are inspired from Robin Hood. Much like speedsters are inspired from Hermes/Mercury.

People still use bows. https://special-ops.org/bow-and-arro...odern-warfare/

It's not as common as bombs and drones these days, but the reason for that is, we don't have superheroes either that can come back from the dead or never die.

Cap's defense is years of training in different forms of fighting. And his SS serum.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    I think the advantage of bow and arrow over a gun is that it makes less noise, so you can be more stealthy. Also, bow and arrows are perceived as less lethal than guns...and I suppose a hero that just uses guns for everything might glamorize the use of guns?

But all of that pales to the fact that characters like Hawkeye and Green Arrow are inspired from Robin Hood. Much like speedsters are inspired from Hermes/Mercury.
    I guess my point is all of those advantages could be overcome by some invention since these heroes have invented ways to fly, shrink and grow and walk though walls. So how is medieval weaponry in any way unable to be topped? I mean, his arrowheads aren't archaic, but futuristic with all kinds of abilities.

I get the Robin Hood connection but that doesn't mean it makes sense. At least speedsters have actual powers

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    People still use bows. https://special-ops.org/bow-and-arro...odern-warfare/

It's not as common as bombs and drones these days, but the reason for that is, we don't have superheroes either that can come back from the dead or never die.

Cap's defense is years of training in different forms of fighting. And his SS serum.
    I just think if a powerful enemy knocks his shield way he couldn't defend himself against higher powers

I kind of like characters who use old school weapons. It's kind of fun actually. I get why comic book fans are unhappy with some of the adaptations, but I think watering down is absolutely necessary for movie and television audiences. Here's a comment I read on another forum which sums up why the MCU should NEVER be like the comic books:

"to be honest... yeah. i wouldn't say i'm an MCU fan but i do enjoy a good flashy popcorn flick, but i simply don't get how anyone takes the comics seriously.

art is honestly pretty mediocre, most artists suffer from extreme same-face syndrome, extreme sexualization is still the standard so much that if there's no booby and cameltoe outline it's "SJW garbage", but even disregarding all my issues with the art... how am i supposed to care about any of the stories if everything gets reset all the time, no consequences ever actually stick and characterization is completely arbitrary? you cannot demand grim seriousness while also having the plot consistency of a slapstick cartoon.

comic books can be a medium for some damn good storytelling, but marvel ain't it. for all their flaws, movies at least keep it pretty contained."

Ultimate Member

I kind of like characters who use old school weapons. It's kind of fun actually. I get why comic book fans are unhappy with some of the adaptations, but I think watering down is absolutely necessary for movie and television audiences. Here's a comment I read on another forum which sums up why the MCU should NEVER be like the comic books:

"to be honest... yeah. i wouldn't say i'm an MCU fan but i do enjoy a good flashy popcorn flick, but i simply don't get how anyone takes the comics seriously.

art is honestly pretty mediocre, most artists suffer from extreme same-face syndrome, extreme sexualization is still the standard so much that if there's no booby and cameltoe outline it's "SJW garbage", but even disregarding all my issues with the art... how am i supposed to care about any of the stories if everything gets reset all the time, no consequences ever actually stick and characterization is completely arbitrary? you cannot demand grim seriousness while also having the plot consistency of a slapstick cartoon.

comic books can be a medium for some damn good storytelling, but marvel ain't it. for all their flaws, movies at least keep it pretty contained."
    I don't think resetting universes is what anyone wants to be adapted, tbh. I'm also not interested in grim seriousness

On the other hand, I'd absolutely prefer if Hawkeye used a ballistic weapon. I would welcome that change.

A change I didn't like is Ultron. In the movies he just turns evil because "robots hate humans" in Hollywood apparently. That's the generic change I don't like.

One I'm ok with is Scarlet Witch not depowering a bunch of people. I'm ok with that change because the original comic storyline was a disservice to her in some ways.

So some changes are improvements, and some are the opposite

I just think if a powerful enemy knocks his shield way he couldn't defend himself against higher powers
    He has before. He still has the SS serum. He even stands up to Thanos a lot longer than most other heroes. It was only Wanda and he that was able to hold him back for a while longer.

On the other hand, I'd absolutely prefer if Hawkeye used a ballistic weapon. I would welcome that change.

That takes away something unique about Hawkeye though. Most of the enjoyment of his character was seeing the wild ways he figured out using arrows to defeat enemies. And archery is an art. Don't disrespect the boomerag arrow.