Page 28 of 110 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Very good article discussing the most important elements of WandaVision (to me): Wanda's and Vision's goodbye, the abuse of the people of Westview by Wanda, and the casting of "Fietro":

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Very good article discussing the most important elements of WandaVision (to me): Wanda's and Vision's goodbye, the abuse of the people of Westview by Wanda, and the casting of "Fietro":

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
    It is good that they wanted consequences and sympathy both for Wanda. And I do think she is getting both and should get both. But I hope she grows beyond that and learns to deal with grief in a healthy way and get control of her powers. She'll never grow as a character without that.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Were people this salty over the Mandarin reveal in Iron Man 3? I remember this being the case, but this Fietro/Bohner thing seems like more higher toxic levels of salt than before. Just my feeling. Due to Peters' impressive performance, I think any return by ATJ is now an impossibility. Fans want THAT version back. It's amazing how quiet ATJ has been. He must feel pretty humiliated.
    People were divided: some thought it was interesting to explore how the modern concept of terrorism is a Western invention to justify the corporate-military complex at the expense of using POC as pawns vs people who felt it a modern interpretation of the Mandarin ala M’Baku would have been better than having it come down to yet another two white dudes decking it out again while those important issues are only glanced at. It proves polarizing enough that they created a short movie called All Hail the King that retconned in a real Mandarin who will now be appearing in the upcoming Shang-Chi movie.

I honestly couldn’t say what the future holds for Pietro. All this furor over Pietro could incentivize Marvel to find a way for him to return. I would honestly prefer ATJ. Let’s not forget, when Peters was first cast, there was a sizable crowd that protested, became they preferred ATJ. But it may be that Marvel would decide to go with Peters because he earned so much public interest in his version the character. Of course, that depends on if Marvel recognizes that there is a genuinely interest in Quicksilver, and not just nerds upset they didn’t get Mephistor or the Fantastic Four.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 03-10-2021 at 07:09 PM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Save Quicksilver & its all Evan Peters not ATJ, literally is trending all over Twitter, what the actual hell is the hype with Evan Peters? I don't get it he looks musty.
    I’ve seen the tag. I hope it, along with the Where’s Wanda tag, gets Marvel to do an overhaul on how they treated the twins.

My explanation for that is more people are familiar with Evan Peters, compared to Aaron Taylor Johnson’s single appearance. There’s also the American Horror Story fans to contend with. Overall, many seem to identify him as Quicksilver more than ATJ, so they use his image for the tag. But damn, I would prefer ATJ easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It is good that they wanted consequences and sympathy both for Wanda. And I do think she is getting both and should get both. But I hope she grows beyond that and learns to deal with grief in a healthy way and get control of her powers. She'll never grow as a character without that.
    I wish Schaeffer and her writing team could continue writing for Wanda in future projects. It would be more consistent and seem to have a really sympathetic view of her character. Hopefully Waldron and Raimi do her justice in Strange 2. I know Megan McDonnell will do a good job with Monica because I thought she did some great work with her in WandaVision. As I mentioned previously, I think Monica was somewhat underdeveloped because the show focused so much on Wanda and Vision (which it definitely should have), and her characterization suffered because of that. She definitely needed more screen time, and as much as I liked Darcy, Jimmy, and Fietro, the time devoted to them should have been given to her for that reason. I think Wanda will definitely grow. I mean, Wanda's gonna be in the MCU for at least a few more years, so I don't see why she won't. I also think it is good that she is getting sympathy and will try to fix her past mistakes. Wanda in my view is a movie character now. Her growing powers require a lot of expensive CGI, so I don't see her having much of a presence on the Disney Plus platform anymore. Vision, I think will more likely show up on Disney Plus though.

Well, I'm glad they plan SOME consequences (though hopefully not too harsh) for Wanda, though I'm disappointed that's the creative choice they made. Somewhat grim and out of step with how the season seemed to be going. But I'm glad the folks at Marvel Studios are actually not handwaving anything that happened at Westview even though I HATE to see Wanda go through more emotional agony.

By the way, the debates over WandaVision have really calmed down in here. I love the respect and understanding being shown by all sides. And we're STILL talking about Pietro a lot too. He deserves all the love in the world from us Maximoff fans as well!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-10-2021 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    People were divided: some thought it was interesting to explore how the modern concept of terrorism is a Western invention to justify the corporate-military complex at the expense of using POC as pawns vs people who felt it a modern interpretation of the Mandarin ala M’Baku would have been better than having it come down to yet another two white dudes decking it out again while those important issues are only glanced at. It proves polarizing enough that they created a short movie called All Hail the King that retconned in a real Mandarin who will now be appearing in the upcoming Shang-Chi movie.

I honestly couldn’t say what the future holds for Pietro. All this furor over Pietro could incentivize Marvel to find a way for him to return. I would honestly prefer ATJ. Let’s not forget, when Peters was first cast, there was a sizable crowd that protested, became they preferred ATJ. But it may be that Marvel would decide to go with Peters because he earned so much public interest in his version the character. Of course, that depends on if Marvel recognizes that there is a genuinely interest in Quicksilver, and not just nerds upset they didn’t get Mephistor or the Fantastic Four.
    I wonder if the Mandarin reveal was received differently by different audiences. I read that a lot of non-comic book fans actually liked the twist and thought it was funny. It was the nerds that seemed to get salty over the fakeout I think. I personally enjoyed it and thought it was really creative. But I'm in the minority I think.

Hard to see what Marvel does with Quicksilver. Neither the comics or Marvel Studios seem to have any idea how to handle him it seems. They don't know how to work with speedsters in general. I'm wondering how they'll deal with Tommy in the future. I just think the recasting hurts the chances of Quicksilver coming back on a permanent basis. And people on both sides of the ATJ/Peters debate won't be happy unless they BOTH get brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I’ve seen the tag. I hope it, along with the Where’s Wanda tag, gets Marvel to do an overhaul on how they treated the twins.

My explanation for that is more people are familiar with Evan Peters, compared to Aaron Taylor Johnson’s single appearance. There’s also the American Horror Story fans to contend with. Overall, many seem to identify him as Quicksilver more than ATJ, so they use his image for the tag. But damn, I would prefer ATJ easily.
    I think most MCU fans like ATJ. But I think most Fox fans LOVE Peters.

Ultimate Member

I think most MCU fans like ATJ. But I think most Fox fans LOVE Peters.
    I liked ATJ because he had more of a personal connection to Scarlet Witch and I think he had potential for a sort of repertoire with Captain America and Hawkeye.

I liked Peters because he was fun and stole the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I liked ATJ because he had more of a personal connection to Scarlet Witch and I think he had potential for a sort of repertoire with Captain America and Hawkeye.

I liked Peters because he was fun and stole the show.
    MCU Quicksilver was closer to the comic book version and more "grounded" than his Fox counterpart. But Fox Quicksilver was more fun from what I understand, and that counts for a lot in movies and television.

Olsen and Schaeffer talk about "Fietro" in Variety:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/wan...ge-1234926899/

Bit annoyed that the series didn't credit Robinson's Witches Road as an inspiration for the show. There were lots of credits for WandaVision, surely they could have fit Robinson's name in there!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 03-10-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Ultimate Member

MCU Quicksilver was closer to the comic book version and more "grounded" than his Fox counterpart. But Fox Quicksilver was more fun from what I understand, and that counts for a lot in movies and television.
    The thing is people always complain about the MCU heroes being too humorous yet the MCU Quicksilver is serious and more accurate but less popular. I don't ger it

The thing is people always complain about the MCU heroes being too humorous yet the MCU Quicksilver is serious and more accurate but less popular. I don't ger it
    I think those people complaining about the overabundance of humor in the MCU are a pretty small minority. I think a LOT of MCU fans like the movies and shows they make BECAUSE they're funny. I know I do. I love the jokes and quips. The more the better I say. I even wish that Captain America and Black Panther were funnier too. I personally got into the MCU largely because of the humor. Those non-MCU Marvel and DCEU movies are not NEARLY quippy enough for my liking. I was so happy that they literally turned Doctor Strange and Wong into virtual joke machines in Strange's first film.

Olsen and Schaeffer talk about "Fietro" in Variety:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/wan...ge-1234926899/

Bit annoyed that the series didn't credit Robinson's Witches Road as an inspiration for the show. There were lots of credits for WandaVision, surely they could have fit Robinson's name in there!
    Robinson wasn't the only one they didn't credit. They didn't credit Busiek or Byrne either.

Hawkeye is painfully serious when he's one of the few that shouldn't be.

Ultimate Member

I think those people complaining about the overabundance of humor in the MCU are a pretty small minority. I think a LOT of MCU fans like the movies and shows they make BECAUSE they're funny. I know I do. I love the jokes and quips. The more the better I say. I even wish that Captain America and Black Panther were funnier too. I personally got into the MCU largely because of the humor. Those non-MCU Marvel and DCEU movies are not NEARLY quippy enough for my liking. I was so happy that they literally turned Doctor Strange and Wong into virtual joke machines in Strange's first film.
    I actual though Strange didn't make that many humorous jabs. Mostly they were sarcastic jabs at not knowing his surroundings. In fact, I think some people seem to reduce all MCU humor to "quips" when that's not correct

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Hawkeye is painfully serious when he's one of the few that shouldn't be.
    I'm surprised he has any fans in the MCU.