Page 46 of 120 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I'd argue that Tom Taylor wrote Jason pretty decently and it was only marred by the fact he had zero interest in the character and Jason was just an excuse to write a Cass story. We've seen too little of SGM's take to make a good judgment but so far, at least it is an interesting direction he's taking with the character thanks to being an Elseworlds story.
    OK those two were more disappointing than bad.

I finally read it.
    The art sure doesn't help being overly dramatic for the present story. All those muscles and clenched teeth and shocked eyes. I wasn't a fan of Barrows' choice because stuff like that. His style tends to tint every script overly dramatically. I'll be honest, Jason lashing out against Bruce wasn't something I liked a lot, but it wasn't really bad (I was dreading it, looking at some comments). It was well written and the whole issue was actually a very enjoyable one; I found myself thinking the time reading it passed too fast. I also can say that I wasn't expecting Batman being that much like the Batman that I do like, so that's a positive point for this issue: it didn't make me be mad at Bruce. I think it also make me sympathise for Jason a lot, so... Well, as I said, it was well done. Balanced. Touching and emotional too.

Grifter's story continues to be a fun read. Damn, DC; give Rosenberg a series or something.

Edit: something I've read in Reddit.
    The fight, if you can call it that, between them felt to me like Jason forcing Bruce to punish him, because he thinks he deserves punishment.
    And the thing is, I felt the same reading that scene. But also, I felt like he wasn't doing that at the same way.
    At some level, it felt like, subconsciously, Jason was lashing out at Bruce and punching him because he wanted Bruce (or someone, really(, to punch him. But it also felt like Jason was angry at Bruce for real. Jason felt angry and sad and guilty and resigned and wrong and right. Mixed signals there.
    So maybe it was intentional on the writer to feel that way about the scene.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-13-2021 at 01:37 PM.

Another good issue, with some really neat moments here and there, though it sure feels like this issue just flew by.

So far in each issue there have been times where it feels like Zdarsky is speaking through the characters, with the first issue being with Alfred pleading to Bruce in the flashback, and in this issue, with Jason's monologue about Bruce in the very end. The themes of fatherhood and abuse is still running strongly through out the story, it's interesting to see Jason so desperately trying to end the perceived cycle of abuse, so that it doesn't consume Tyler in the same ways that he feels it consumed him. And that ending, ouch.
    Last edited by RedBird; 04-13-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Another good issue, with some really neat moments here and there, though it sure feels like this issue just flew by.

So far in each issue there have been times where it feels like Zdarsky is speaking through the characters, with the first issue being with Alfred pleading to Bruce in the flashback, and in this issue, with Jason's monologue about Bruce in the very end. The themes of fatherhood and abuse is still running strongly through out the story, it's interesting to see Jason so desperately trying to end the perceived cycle of abuse, so that it doesn't consume Tyler in the same ways that he feels it consumed him. And that ending, ouch.
    The issues so far gain depth in second reads, to be honest. The writing is very good. Or at least, they do for me. I hope I'm not wrong and this story goes the places I think it goes.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-13-2021 at 07:40 PM.

It wasn't a bad issue, but I'm not sure which way this is going.

I don't want to be naive, but I hope the "life-changing events" part of the mini's premise holds true and we see a new status quo by the end of this. Maybe Jason becomes the kid's legal guardian? Or something like that.

If only his relationship with Bruce was forever mended (at least with regards to their usual conflict), that'd be nice.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Say what you want, the vampire comment was funny.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Jason fighting a mecha Scarface is not a sentence I expect to utter today

https://www.gamesradar.com/red-hoods...ham-1-preview/

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Say what you want, the vampire comment was funny.
    You know, there are times where I wonder if he's not hinting at something with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Soooooo... I guess I'm actually reading this FS stuff now.
    Ok, I love to be wrong, not gonna lie.

I like the art. Not very enthusiastic about this being a Future State mini, but I'll take it.

Also, I first saw The Hollywood Reporter tweeting about this and saying "new DC series", so for a moment I thought Jason was getting an ongoing lmao (even if they were using FS pictures).

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

https://www.gamesradar.com/batman-se...dc-bat-family/

Yet another Batman book, this time, a series of One-shots focused on the Batfamily, so I assume Jason will get his own issue down the line.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

I love the artstyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    You know, there are times where I wonder if he's not hinting at something with that.
    Sorry, I'm a little slow today. What do you mean by that?

Yet another Batman book, this time, a series of One-shots focused on the Batfamily, so I assume Jason will get his own issue down the line.
    I see Duke and I'm happy. (And the Huntress story sounds interesting.)

After the lackluster start of Infinite Frontier we are finally getting to the good stuff.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Yeah I agree. Probably after either his UL or FS: Gotham story ends (unless they have some other plans for him).

As long as the writer treats mah boy with respect, bring it!