Page 29 of 120 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

So, double post because there's already a sneak peek out.
    It's good.
    I'm liking even the art. A lot.
    Which is not something I was counting on.

https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-p...-1-on-sale-3-9

I'm absolutely in for this one.

So far it's looking pretty good
    Can't wait.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    So, double post because there's already a sneak peek out.
    It's good.
    I'm liking even the art. A lot.
    Which is not something I was counting on.

https://comic-watch.com/news/sneak-p...-1-on-sale-3-9

I'm absolutely in for this one.
    Can’t wait!!!

Hope it’s gonna lay the grounds for his solo’s return!!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I just realized... Jason is still wearing the Outlaw costume because... either he's still alone... or because he's still not in a good relationship with Batman.

Costume's usually associated with branding or era. Black jacket is UTRH or near that characterization, capsule helmet means evil, brown jacket is Outlaws in general, and brown vest is Red Arse.

So is he only gonna change his costume once he becomes a Batfam or has a team again?

Edit: So on top of his thighs tumblr is now horny for his arms because of that promo art

Edit edit: read the preview. Chasing drug dealers fit Jason's back story, that's a good sign, and then there's the start of the flashback by crime against kids. So far so fits.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 03-06-2021 at 12:20 AM.

Very excited for this story, ngl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I just realized... Jason is still wearing the Outlaw costume because... either he's still alone... or because he's still not in a good relationship with Batman.

Costume's usually associated with branding or era. Black jacket is UTRH or near that characterization, capsule helmet means evil, brown jacket is Outlaws in general, and brown vest is Red Arse.

So is he only gonna change his costume once he becomes a Batfam or has a team again?

Edit: So on top of his thighs tumblr is now horny for his arms because of that promo art

Edit edit: read the preview. Chasing drug dealers fit Jason's back story, that's a good sign, and then there's the start of the flashback by crime against kids. So far so fits.
    While it's true he seems to be alone and not in the best of terms with Bruce (again), I honestly think there's not much thought behind it and they simply didn't "bothered" giving him a new design. Since he's not getting a solo anytime soon and will be a guest/anthology character for a while (so no permanent creative team), I guess they don't feel like they need to give him new threads, sadly.

That said, if they don't intend to redesign him, at least they could have returned to the GOAT Dexter Soy look. I'm guessing they like the MK getup over at DC? I'd imagine the Rebirth look is more popular across fans, but I've also seen a fair bunch of people liking the Outlaw outfit, so I don't know. In any case, gotta say, for as exhausted as I am of it, he looks cool in B:UL, especially in that page with the (tired as hell) quote. Without a hood, I like it better than, say, the RH/Arsenal vest, although I admit much of my dislike for that one is due to the actual art and the quality of the book.

Here's hoping a new status quo/premise is built around him soon enough with a new design, in any case. I need my helmet and my jacket.

Can understand the craziness for those arms. Those are some beautiful limbs.

Chasing drug dealers fit Jason's back story, that's a good sign, and then there's the start of the flashback by crime against kids. So far so fits.
    Indeed, so far the dialogue feels true to the character, like the monologue about 'fear' being Batmans tool and having to use more than that, and the consistency with continuity regarding the rubber bullets being used, for now at least.

And speaking of well timed flashbacks to childhood, Marcus To confirmed on twitter that he is drawing Robin Jason. I'm fairly certain that, not only will this be the first time that Marcus To has drawn Jason in an actual DC comic, but it'll be one of the rare few times (even including fan commissions) that he'll be drawing Jason as Robin, which is pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Indeed, so far the dialogue feels true to the character, like the monologue about 'fear' being Batmans tool and having to use more than that, and the consistency with continuity regarding the rubber bullets being used, for now at least.

And speaking of well timed flashbacks to childhood, Marcus To confirmed on twitter that he is drawing Robin Jason. I'm fairly certain that, not only will this be the first time that Marcus To has drawn Jason in an actual DC comic, but it'll be one of the rare few times (even including fan commissions) that he'll be drawing Jason as Robin, which is pretty neat.
    I wonder how he will draw him. His tween Jason is something handsome to look at. But you could say the same about all his robins, I guess. There's only a few arts of Marcus To's kid/teen Jason, so I'm honestly curious about it.

I don’t know why but I like the idea that Jason wants to be there for Bruce after Joker War that he holds back on how he handles things with rubber bullets instead of real bullets. But Bruce still needs to apologize for earlier actions against Jason.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I wonder how he will draw him. His tween Jason is something handsome to look at. But you could say the same about all his robins, I guess. There's only a few arts of Marcus To's kid/teen Jason, so I'm honestly curious about it.
    Marcus To's art is always lovely to see regardless, but my main takeaway from this news is that I suspect that the combination of art styles between Eddy Barrows and Marcus To will be used to emphasise the contrast between Jason then, and Jason now, in a similar way that Dustin Nguyen did for the Robin 80th anniversary story 'More Time'.
    Last edited by RedBird; 03-06-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Marcus To's art is always lovely to see regardless, but my main takeaway from this news is that I suspect that the combination of Eddy Barrows and Marcus To's art will be used to emphasise the contrast between Jason then, and Jason now, in a similar way that Dustin Nguyen did for the Robin 80th anniversary story 'More Time'.
    Hmmm. To's art is clean and young-ish, that's true, very unlike Barrows' art. But it's not "fluffy", like Nguyen's. So I guess that it will add contrast to the story, but not as strong as some sweet/bitter contrast would do. My guess is that they're aiming for a hopeful and fun/serious and worn out for the contrast of the Jason and Bruce back then and now. Also, I guess, some colourless work, because Barrows' art seems pretty saturated and the Outlaws own run used greys and red for the fashbacks consistently.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Attachment 106902
    Batman Urban Legends #1
    The Alfred Pennyworth quote makes me itch.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just looking at DC's track record.
    My money is on the story going downhill the moment Batman - or some other bat - shows up. Like always.

And I can't stop myself from wondering:

Is this going to be ANOTHER story portraying Jason as the "angry Robin" that couldn't be controlled by the bats?

Is this going to be ANOTHER story that "justifies" that blaming Jason for his own torture/death or making fun of it/using it as a prop to "prove" how much better other bat members are, because they would have survived, is "okay" and "heroic"? (The bat-"family" is so f*cking nasty.)

Is this going to be ANOTHER story that completely ignores Jason's progress/emotional healing that he managed in his Outlaw years thanks to people who are NOT part of the bat cult?
    Last edited by Sergard; 03-07-2021 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

My money is on the story going downhill the moment Batman - or some other bat - shows up. Like always.

Is this going to be ANOTHER story portraying Jason as the "angry Robin" that couldn't be controlled by the bats?

Is this going to be ANOTHER story that "justifies" that blaming Jason for his own torture/death or making fun of it/using it as a prop to "prove" how much better other bat members are, because they would have survived, is "okay" and "heroic"? (The bat-"family" is so f*cking nasty.)

Is this going to be ANOTHER story that completely ignores Jason's progress/emotional healing that he managed in his Outlaw years thanks to people who are NOT part of the bat cult?
    Read the preview, Serg. It really feels respectful to the character, and feels like Jason's voice. And it looks like it's told from his POV, at least as much as Bruce's if not more. So far, it's looking good.

You have to remember that, despite his progress, Jason still has issues. He's not perfect, and he's not someone who doesn't mess. And it's going to be like that probably forever because of the nature of corporate comics that use intelectual propieties for almost a century of comercial profit. The only way you are going to see great changes in a character is if a story impacts strongly enough the readers, or if it reaches them enough, like the Killing Joke did for Barbara, or The Dark Knight Returns for Bruce. Look at other characters, like Wally West. He had the gift of maturing in comics like no other character in DC, because he had the luck of: an event that changed his status (Crisis in Infinite Earths), a series of writers being respecful with his progress as Flash and as a human being becoming an adult, for around 15 years; and a series of runs a lot of people read (I'm guessing that period was the best selling period of Flash overall in modern days, being it Barry, Bart or Wally). And despite of all that, not all carried nowadays. In fact, they erased the character for years, erased him, because he didn't sell much anymore, and they wanted to promote the TV vision of the character (in hopes of drawing new readers, not even older ones, because Barry was changed as well). When they gave us Wally again, he wasn't like he was before dissapearing either (he was alive, and an adult and Flash; but he was still very much like he was when Mark Waid took over him and started his run. Which is the most popular period of Wally as Flash).

So hoping for these stories to progress and show their progress between several writers, and advance constantly, and being absolutely respectful to that advance and progress, is going to hurt us. We only can hope that they're respectfull to an overall view of the character in previous runs, to the character history, and to what we like about that character and what we see in them.

And for them to be good, too

God, I wish I had that with Constantine post Flashpoint. But nope, at least not most of the time.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-07-2021 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

I guess it can be read as Jason has a violent nature so he's disappointed in Bruce for not going as violent as him and kill criminals, but my first thought is in the context of the overall superhero business, that he's disappointed because his parental figures couldn't protect him or avenge him, that they're not the hero he thought they'd be when he was adopted and became Robin. An idealism of a child shattered, similar to when he first found out the justice system can't protect people from the rapist diplomat's son.

I guess both of those things are the same thing seen from different point of view, and I'm still looking at it from Jason's point of view in story, and not from the possibility that the writer will screw it up.