Page 47 of 120 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Well, this looks pretty neat actually, it feels like I'm reading a Red Hood manga series. Okay FS Gotham, you have my attention now.
    With this cool art, combined with that beautiful cover and an old backup story from Katsuhiro Otomo. I'm going to at least need that first issue.
    I suppose we can probably confirm the Akira influence of this series with that choice of backup story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Well, this looks pretty neat actually, it feels like I'm reading a Red Hood manga series. Okay FS Gotham, you have my attention now.
    With this cool art, combined with that beautiful cover and an old backup story from Katsuhiro Otomo. I'm going to at least need that first issue.
    I suppose we can probably confirm the Akira influence of this series with that choice of backup story.
    I'm digging it now so, so much. I'm glad the actual story for the initial two issue story was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I'm digging it now so, so much. I'm glad the actual story for the initial two issue story was fine.
    Was it? I was awaiting the first impressions from reviewers and forums to see if it was worth it, but initially from what I gathered, it hadn't seemed to have left much of a positive impact.
    Is it worth a read? Or perhaps once it hits the bargain bin it may then be worth picking up? (comic 'event' stories usually end up there pretty fast at my LCS XD)

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Was it? I was awaiting the first impressions from reviewers and forums to see if it was worth it, but initially from what I gathered, it hadn't seemed to have left much of a positive impact.
    Is it worth a read? Or perhaps once it hits the bargain bin it may then be worth picking up? (comic 'event' stories usually end up there pretty fast at my LCS XD)
    By what I said, I meant that users seem to overall have liked it just fine after the second issue: not great, but enjoyable. I still have to read it, but those impressions put my initial wariness (I was expecting it to be not good, after the solicits) at ease. So now I'm glad that I can expect it to not make me mad at the story after reading it. Which was an actual fear I had (sounds silly, but I can't help it, I get mad at things I read, sometimes).

By what I said, I meant that users seem to overall have liked it just fine after the second issue: not great, but enjoyable. I still have to read it, but those impressions put my initial wariness (I was expecting it to be not good, after the solicits) at ease. So now I'm glad that I can expect it to not make me mad at the story after reading it. Which was an actual fear I had (sounds silly, but I can't help it, I get mad at things I read, sometimes).
    Ah I see, fair enough

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I stopped after the first issue because I didn't like how Williamson portrayed Rose Wilson. I didn't like his Titans story in The Last Stories of the DC universe either because I couldn't stand Donna Troy and Beast Boy. They were so arrogant.

My copy of Red Hood: Outlaw Vol. 4: Unspoken Truth arrived yesterday. As expected, #51 and #52 are missing. I really hope DC is going to collect them somewhere.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    My copy of Red Hood: Outlaw Vol. 4: Unspoken Truth arrived yesterday. As expected, #51 and #52 are missing. I really hope DC is going to collect them somewhere.
    Any interesting extra material?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Any interesting extra material?
    Sorry for the bad quality of the photos.

That's everything.

I stopped after the first issue because I didn't like how Williamson portrayed Rose Wilson. I didn't like his Titans story in The Last Stories of the DC universe either because I couldn't stand Donna Troy and Beast Boy. They were so arrogant.

By what I've gathered reading reviews and comments, the second issue was better. He didn't write Rose better, but he did write a better issue overall. It's two issues only, and the preview for gotham really, really won me over; so I'm willed to give it a try (I'm not a fan of Williamson, but... but it's cyberpunk and has robots and looks fun. I'm easily convinced).

I seriously hope those last issues get collected somewhere else. I don't buy physical floppies.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-17-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Little interview with Dennis Culver and Giannis Milonogiannis: Red Hood hunts heroes in exclusive preview of DC's new 'Future State: Gotham' series

About the art in Future State: Gotham

[...]According to Culver, Akira and other key pieces of Manga storytelling were among the major influences the creative team discussed when breaking down the look of the book.

"I'm a huge fan of Manga myself and along with Ben, Josh, and Giannis it's been a blast swapping influences," he said. "There are some more obvious visual influences like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and the like but also some less obvious influences will start to shine through once the story kicks off as well. Personally I'm reading everything from Naruto to Vagabond to the current Batman books and it's going into the stew!"

Milonogiannis added, "From the beginning, 80's/90's manga has been a big influence on Future State: Red Hood and Gotham -- and now with the series in black and white, I can really focus on trying to nail down that look with screentone and heavier inked areas. Working with colorists for a while, you eventually change your art to leave room for them to do their own work -- it's been challenging to recalibrate my eyes to work fully in black and white for Future State: Gotham."[...]
    I'm a huge manga fan, so all of this sounds really exciting.

"It's an interesting setup for Jason's character. Just as he was accepted back into the family he had to turn his back on them for the greater good because he was the only person that could credibly do the job. He desperately wants out but he knows he's doing the right thing. So of course things are about to get a whole lot worse for him and the rest of the city. War is coming."
    Ok, this gives a lot of more hope for this than I have for Urban Legends.

Little interview with Dennis Culver and Giannis Milonogiannis: Red Hood hunts heroes in exclusive preview of DC's new 'Future State: Gotham' series

About the art in Future State: Gotham

(...)

I'm a huge manga fan, so all of this sounds really exciting.
    80s/90s is the best time period for Sci-Fi manga and anime, imho. They reaped what they built in the 70's and started to develop what's the current japanese art and narrative styles. Cyberpunk stories like Ghost in the Shell and Akira (and Blame!); but also, mecha stories like Gundam (mostly), Macross, Gunbuster or Evangelion, and some big space operas like Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Cowboy Bebop is from the late 90s, too.

Ok, this gives a lot of more hope for this than I have for Urban Legends.
    I think, I may be wrong, but I think that Editorial in DC've finally decided that they're approaching Jason as the man who does what the other bats can't in a heroic but still conflicting, and troublesome, and dramatic way. That's what the stories in B:UL and FS:Gotham seem to share for me. Also, the last bits from RHATO. I wasn't convinced until I read those FS comments.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-17-2021 at 01:11 PM.

There's nothing heroic about what Jason has done so far in Urban Legends.

There's nothing heroic about what Jason has done so far in Urban Legends.
    He's depicted as a protector of the weak, despite killing the parent. That's meant to be seen as a heroic trait most of the times. He's also repentant about putting the kid into a place where he could repeat his own mistakes, which is a heroic trait in most heroes too.
    He's anti-heroic, but he still has heroic traits. Like self-sacrifice in the case of FS, it seems.

He's depicted as a protector of the weak, despite killing the parent. That's meant to be seen as a heroic trait most of the times. He's also repentant about putting the kid into a place where he could repeat his own mistakes, which is a heroic trait in most heroes too.
    He's anti-heroic, but he still has heroic traits. Like self-sacrifice in the case of FS, it seems.
    Dragging the kid around and leaving him in an alley, hoping nothing happens to him while he goes into a druglord's den is the further thing away from protecting him. And he's at the very least in friendly terms with Barbara, so why not get her to set a safe place for the kid to stay with? In the past the safety of others has always been Jason's top priority, not killing criminals.