Page 14 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Yeah, I have no interest in anything Jason until he gets a new costume.
    I feel the same way.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

The Gotham Knights twitter finally posted their pics for Jason's Knighthood

https://twitter.com/GothamKnights/st...63306611429378

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Giannis Milonogiannis

"Here's a test drawing I did before we started on our Future State Red Hood story.

Out on the 26th, in Dark Detective #2"

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

https://heroichollywood.com/taron-eg...ept-image/amp/

Now this is a fan casting I can get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    https://heroichollywood.com/taron-eg...ept-image/amp/

Now this is a fan casting I can get behind.
    I don't really fancast, but he's been my choice for Jason for a while! He'd surely pull off Jason's traits really well based on his past work (anger, charm, snark...).

Sadly, I can't see us getting a film Batfamily anytime soon (and it's not like I liked Snyder's take on Robin's death -among many other things-. It'd have been a disservice to both Dick and Jason).

I could see them introducing Dick in The Batman at best I guess, which would be cool. If Pattinson's supposed to be 25 or so, Dick being a teenager and getting adopted by the end would work, but I don't think it's a priority of them.

EDIT: close-up of the Urban Legends cover by Hicham Habchi. See, I'm way tired of the MK getup, but this is one of those artists whose take on it I really like.
    Last edited by CorDaytona; 01-16-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

People on Instagram having fun with the McFarlane Red Hood action figure:

(source)

(source)

(source)

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    I don't really fancast, but he's been my choice for Jason for a while! He'd surely pull off Jason's traits really well based on his past work (anger, charm, snark...).

Sadly, I can't see us getting a film Batfamily anytime soon (and it's not like I liked Snyder's take on Robin's death -among many other things-. It'd have been a disservice to both Dick and Jason).

I could see them introducing Dick in The Batman at best I guess, which would be cool. If Pattinson's supposed to be 25 or so, Dick being a teenager and getting adopted by the end would work, but I don't think it's a priority of them.

EDIT: close-up of the Urban Legends cover by Hicham Habchi. See, I'm way tired of the MK getup, but this is one of those artists whose take on it I really like.
    Yeah, I personally suck at fan-castings. Though when I see what others post, I can usually either agree on the pick or not.

Extraordinary Member

thing is by the time they could actually do Red Hood in the Pattison movies he would probaly to old for the role (and he is actually not much younger than Pattionson).

Thats imo general kind of the problem with fan casting the Robins, in most cases I would just come with actors that would have been a good fit 5+ years ago.

https://www.cbr.com/red-hood-jason-t...t-family-hill/

Another article about Jason, this time about him needing to leave the Bat-Family.
    Not much to say about this one, but I agree with the general sentiment. And similar to my own viewpoint, the article even mentions that general team ups are fine and all, it's not about Jason completely cutting himself out, but about him having adventures and continuing to evolve where he doesn't have Bats looking over his shoulder.

I hope whatever story Urban Legends has in store will set up an interesting status quo, preferably away from Bats.
    Speaking of Urban Legends, the solicitation for issue #2 looks intriguing, I don't think Jason has ever been in a position before, where he has to look out for a targets kin. Is there more at play or is it just a matter of him feeling guilty? We'll see I guess.

My hope is that after everything's said and done, Jason reconciles with Bruce (for the 485th time) and gets the hell out of Gotham to do his own thing for good. There's only so many times you can do the same **** over and over again and they're clearly not interested in having different relationship dynamics with Bruce and the rest (recently, we've had TJ and the aftermath of Cobblepot's "assasination"). Also, a brand new outfit.
    Honestly it isn't even the repetition that has been an issue for me as much as it is the utter lack of logical resolution every time. Like Rhato following up the cold and harsh response in issue #25 with the almost tone deaf and confusing resolution in issue #27. Or with the fact that even when writers do decide to open that can of worms, they then proceed to absolutely drop it and ignore it like with Three Jokers. That book could have been a great insight into how Bruce really feels about Jasons methods and the conflict therein, especially when he opens up to Barbara and talks her down after Jason kills Joker, he almost rationalises Jasons actions. But then the book turns around and just has Bruce attack Jason and pull a 'Ya just don't get it man' before the entire issue is completely dropped. Whether it's misunderstandings like Rhato or Leviathan, or even when it's purposeful, Bruce and Jason never ever get to actually converse or communicate with anything besides violence and when it seems to be an opportune moment for them to talk, or argue, for some kind of catharsis, all important issues are brushed aside and ignored. To be clear, it's not even about completely resolving their entire code of ethics or relationship either, it's just about at least resolving matters in the present, conflicts that happen within the story.

Also yes, a change of outfit would be nice, much preferably a return to his Rebirth outfit.
    Last edited by RedBird; 01-17-2021 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    thing is by the time they could actually do Red Hood in the Pattison movies he would probaly to old for the role (and he is actually not much younger than Pattionson).

Thats imo general kind of the problem with fan casting the Robins, in most cases I would just come with actors that would have been a good fit 5+ years ago.
    Yeah, I know! That's the "problem" with film Batman and the obsession with a solo/newbie character.

Like, as I said, at most they'll feature Dick in The Batman trilogy, which would probably be him in his teenage years. Although it depends: after all, while he looks young (and that's emphasized in his The Batman look), Pattinson is about to be 35, so they could always do a big enough timeskip in the second movie and advance the Batfamily plot a little bit. I don't think that's where Reeves' interests lie, sadly.

Then there's that other Batman they're going to do movies about/with, which is assumed to be Keaton. There you could do some Batfamily stuff, but I don't expect his character to be a focus nor WB having that kind of priority either. He'll probably play a mentor role for Flash and that's about it.

As I said, I didn't like most things Snyder was doing with the DCU (quite liked MoS and also some casting and narrative decisions, though), but the whole Batfleck thing was a mixed bag: it was missed opportunity in the sense that we could finally get some semblance of a Batfamily given Bruce's age and I really liked Affleck as the choice. But it was, to me, also plagued with misteps regarding much of his characterization, Joker's character (easily fixable) and the whole "Dick takes Jason's role in Joker's murder", which I think is a huge disservice to both characters.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post

Another article about Jason, this time about him needing to leave the Bat-Family.
    Not much to say about this one, but I agree with the general sentiment. And similar to my own viewpoint, the article even mentions that general team ups are fine and all, it's not about Jason completely cutting himself out, but about him having adventures and continuing to evolve where he doesn't have Bats looking over his shoulder.

I hope whatever story Urban Legends has in store will set up an interesting status quo, preferably away from Bats.
    Speaking of Urban Legends, the solicitation for issue #2 looks intriguing, I don't think Jason has ever been in a position before, where he has to look out for a targets kin. Is there more at play or is it just a matter of him feeling guilty? We'll see I guess.

Honestly it isn't even the repetition that has been an issue for me as much as it is the utter lack of logical resolution every time. Like Rhato following up the cold and harsh response in issue #25 with the almost tone deaf and confusing resolution in issue #27. Or with the fact that even when writers do decide to open that can of worms, they then proceed to absolutely drop it and ignore it like with Three Jokers. That book could have been a great insight into how Bruce really feels about Jasons methods and the conflict therein, especially when he opens up to Barbara and talks her down after Jason kills Joker, he almost rationalises Jasons actions. But then the book turns around and just has Bruce attack Jason and pull a 'Ya just don't get it man' before the entire issue is completely dropped. Whether it's misunderstandings like Rhato or Leviathan, or even when it's purposeful, Bruce and Jason never ever get to actually converse or communicate with anything besides violence and when it seems to be an opportune moment for them to talk, or argue, for some kind of catharsis, all important issues are brushed aside and ignored. To be clear, it's not even about completely resolving their entire code of ethics or relationship either, it's just about at least resolving matters in the present, conflicts that happen within the story.

Also yes, a change of outfit would be nice, much preferably a return to his Rebirth outfit.
    Oh, man, that reconciliation in the diner was really weird, yeah. Out of nowhere and rushed, it diminished whatever significance Bruce's awful demeanor against Jason might have had in the short or long run (to then return to a more hostile environment during the Prince of Gotham arc). Regarding TTJ, I honestly liked how Batman wasn't his usual self regarding Jason's M.O., how he tried to be understanding and rational about where he's coming from (which was extra needed considering who the three of them were dealing with in this story). So yeah, it was dissapointing to see what was ultimately made of that, the ending wasn't great for Jason as a whole. Had forgotten about Leviathan lmao.

In any case, I love Batman. I'd say he's my favourite character in comics (even if I feel more strong opinions regarding Jason, also a favourite of mine). While greatly helped by some great stories, supporting characters and rogues, Bruce's the biggest reason why Gotham-related stories are my favourite, along with X-Men ones. So it's frustrating when they can't get his relationship with Jason to a place beyond the usual surface-level dynamics that dwell on the same thing over and over with, as you said, no logical or cathartic conclusion.

I have little hope that Urban Legends will mean a change in their status quo, but it's cool to dream. At least, judging the writer, it'll finally be a story I like (most likely).

At the end of the day, I guess it's a narrative lack of interest, both by DC and writers who either don't really care much for the relationship/Jason or, imo, simply don't have enough nuance or solid ideas to pull something off, which is what happened in his ongoing.

Extraordinary Member

As I said, I didn't like most things Snyder was doing with the DCU (quite liked MoS and also some casting and narrative decisions, though), but the whole Batfleck thing was a mixed bag: it was missed opportunity in the sense that we could finally get some semblance of a Batfamily given Bruce's age and I really liked Affleck as the choice. But it was, to me, also plagued with misteps regarding much of his characterization, Joker's character (easily fixable) and the whole "Dick takes Jason's role in Joker's murder", which I think is a huge disservice to both characters.
    Snyders Batman was imo allready to old for that, since they would have technically also have to age up the rest of the Bat family and villains accordingly.
    Dick for example would have had to be about the same age as Superman.

Of course the example of Harley Quinn shows that they didn't really, really care keeping the ages consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Even when the starting point resembles plenty of previous conflicting stories or events with Bruce, this one has nice, newish spins that really, really have caught my interest. Jason dealing with the consequences of his acts or the consequences of how he works (being it an accident, a misunderstanding or a wrong kill call) with some impact that lasts enough to tell an actual story; and then Jason taking care of the child of the murdered / victim / criminal (we don't really know yet), which is even a more fresh idea and I'm totally digging it. It comes close to the stories of some of my fave fics, and Chip has written stories close enough that I trust him to do a fine work with it.

(On the other hand, I think I'm going to not like the art much, so I just hope it doesn't distract me too much. I can deal with it if I like what I'm reading )

CBR feels the same

I wouldn't mind if he goes to visit once in a while or if his family is in endanger but other than that he leaves them be. Just always keeping a eye

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Snyders Batman was imo allready to old for that, since they would have technically also have to age up the rest of the Bat family and villains accordingly.
    Dick for example would have had to be about the same age as Superman.

Of course the example of Harley Quinn shows that they didn't really, really care keeping the ages consistent.
    Idk, they could always have taken a different route from the comics and make it so that Bruce adopted Grayson when he was older and already deep into his Batman days. And not every rogue needs to be there since the beginning of Bruce's career, only a few of them if needed.

Like, by the time of the DCEU Batman films, you could have had:
    • Dick as Nightwing. Many already recognize him as Robin and I guess his Nightwing persona is popular enough among some; those who don't know him would simply think "Oh, so that's the first Robin as I remember from the comics/movies/shows. I guess he's on his own now".
    • Jason's Robin as the murdered one, some years before we see Bruce for the first time in BvS. Basically, the backstory already introduced. Whether you pull an UtRH or not down the line, that's another thing.
    • Tim being introduced as a possible new Robin in some future film, which would work around Bruce's arc not getting over Joker's actions and healing.

But yeah, as you said, it's not like that universe is the most consistent one, at least right now. And a Batfamily as we know it in the comics was, seemingly, never in the cards, at least under Zack's direction, who wanted Carrie as the next Robin.

Extraordinary Member

The problem with that is, that according to Snyder DCEU Batman was retired for 10 years after the Death of Jason.

With both Dick and Jason before that, Dick would have to be in his 30s and making Tim classic origin work in that timeline would really be tricky.