Page 12 of 120 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

If anybody's interested, here's a look at Jason when he first dons a costume, all the way back in Detective Comics #526 (May 1983):

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If anybody's interested, here's a look at Jason when he first dons a costume, all the way back in Detective Comics #526 (May 1983):
    So he figured out Bruce was batman

Extraordinary Member

What stuff from the past would you like to see addressed in Future comics?
    My list is:
    - does Jason have memories from pre crisis now?
    - the Box Damian wanted to use against Jason in Teen Titans
    - the Isabel/Essence situation
    - Jason getting his memory back from Saru

I haven't seen anyone link this article yet. Thoughts?

I still think almost all the 'issues' brought up in this article can still be summarised by writers having 0% interest to examine and expand on Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    What stuff from the past would you like to see addressed in Future comics?
    My list is:
    - does Jason have memories from pre crisis now?
    - the Box Damian wanted to use against Jason in Teen Titans
    - the Isabel/Essence situation
    - Jason getting his memory back from Saru
    A few of my selections are a little broad but:

- The stance between him and Bruce. Like, are they cool with each other, is Jason still banished for his methods overall or just for using them in Gotham? What's the relationship now? etc
    - Jasons mental health. Rhato brought up that he had PTSD and then never really touched on it again.
    - The All Blades, do they still work properly? Again, Rhato brought up them being weaker than when he was younger and then never touched on it again.
    - Jasons connection with Talia? What is it now? She gave him his life back, helped train him and then they just never spoke again.
    - Jasons resurrection. How did it happen? What's the story behind it?
    Last edited by RedBird; 01-15-2021 at 02:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post

I still think almost all the 'issues' brought up in this article can still be summarised by writers having 0% interest to examine and expand on Jason.
    Their main point seems to be that Jason should move past his trauma and that they should sort out his relation with Batman.

That's something I can agree with.

I also think that they need to find a way to handle Joker, the way Jason was handled in Joker Wars in comparison to Harley and Bao was odd (I think 3 Jokers did that better even if there were still a lot of problems).

And while I like Bao, I still don't really get why they introduced him, since the guy who goes after the Joker and his goons should be Jason.

@Major, if you're reading the old stuff, we had a discontinued dedicated thread some of us used to post on. In case you're curious about our thoughts on It .

- The stance between him and Bruce. Like, are they cool with each other, is Jason still banished for his methods overall or just for using them in Gotham? What's the relationship now? etc
    This one I guess is gonna flip-flop as usual. The end of #52 implies that Jason is welcome to Gotham (or, at the very least, Bruce is in good terms with him). Not that I don't expect some shit to happen between them come Urban Legends, although at least I have a good chance of really liking that story seeing who's writing. The interesting thing is the guns part, yeah.

The rest of your points are good as well. Would love to have a book dealing with his PTSD and mental health problems as a running feature, at least for a while. Three Jokers kinda dealt with that, but, well, we all know how (still enjoyed the story and Fabok's art was as stellar as usual).

If there's a soft reboot for him after Urban Legends, I can see some retcons/retelling of his origin and/or resurrection. Not that I need it, but if they want a clean narrative break to attract new people, they might as well.

Just... ditch the fucking Outlaw costume.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

- Jasons mental health. Rhato brought up that he had PTSD and then never really touched on it again.
    - The All Blades, do they still work properly? Again, Rhato brought up them being weaker than when he was younger and then never touched on it again.
    - Jasons connection with Talia? What is it now? She gave him his life back, helped train him and then they just never spoke again.
    - Jasons resurrection. How did it happen? What's the story behind it?
    In Batman Incorporated, Jason gave Talia a chance to walk away because he owes her. She didn't and was shot by Kathy. After that they haven't interacted again as far as I know.

Not a good start for the article when in the first few lines you find this: "Jason Todd, once so greatly reviled that an overwhelming majority of Batman readers voted for his death (...)". It was a mayority, by 72 votes. Out of thousands. Not exactly overwhelming.

I disagree with plenty of his statements actually. He grew by how he dealt with Bizarro too, for example. And definitely, he doesn't have some simmering hate towards Bruce. He's dissapointed, plenty, and resentful to certain degree. Rage is such an unfitting word, too. Rage towards crime, sure. A cold, violent rage. Towards Bruce? Eh... I don't see it.

I haven't read further, I don't want to spoil myself the 3 jokers to that much yet. Still going to read it at some point in the near future. I guess the point is that Jason needs to really advance his story, though. But unfortunately, you can only get that in corporate comics when a story is good, or impactful enough, or read by enough readers, to change perception of the general audience and creatives behind the stories.

And my issues with the article probably have to do with the writer seemingly not being well aware of the Rebirth run of the Outlaws, or maybe even the New 52/DCYou one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    @Major, if you're reading the old stuff, . . .
    Actually, I bought some of the "old stuff" when it originally came out.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

A low-quality picture of Urban Legends #2 cover has leaked

1610725440953.jpg

This article is biased and badly researched. It says that Jason hasn't grown as a character in his book and insists that Jason's only thing on his mind is getting revenge on the Joker. This is false, he has stopped worrying about the Joker (unless the Joker is targeting him or his Outlaws directly) and has moved to different ventures.

It says that Jason is still stuck about his death and has an unnatural reaction to his death or Roy's. His death will be something he will always have in his mind, but he has more or less come to terms with it over the years, most clearly seen when he was back in Qandaq during the second volume of RHATO, and his reaction (or lack of) towards Roy's death was explained as him acknowledging heroes always come back, a degree of awareness you rarely see in comic books and that makes all the sense of the world for Jason to have given his experiences. So yeah, that article is bunk, as it tends to be with most articles written by big name sites that only have a cursory knowledge of the characters.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #2

Written by CHIP ZDARSKY, MATTHEW ROSENBERG, BRANDON THOMAS, and CECIL CASTELLUCCI

Art by EDDY BARROWS, RYAN BENJAMIN, MAX DUNBAR, and MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Cover by HICHAM HABCHI

Variant cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA

Variant cover by DERRICK CHEW

The new Batman anthology series continues! In part two of Chip Zdarsky and Eddy Barrows's epic Batman/Red Hood story, Jason Todd has taken a man's life, and now his mission is to keep the dead man's young son safe. But Batman plans to take down Jason before he can make another mistake. Then, in chapter two of Matthew Rosenberg and Ryan Benjamin's senses-shattering tale, Cole Cash earns his pay as personal bodyguard to billionaire Lucius Fox, but what led him to Gotham in the first place? How does the mysterious HALO Corporation play into it all? And which Bat-Family character does he have an unfortunate meeting with in this chapter?

And in part two of Brandon Thomas and Max Dunbar's epic Outsiders story, see Katana's perspective on what brought the Outsiders to Japan, who wants her dead, and what her ultimate punishment will be for no longer having her husband's spirit in the Soultaker sword.

Plus, Barbara Gordon has identified a citywide system hack from a foe she faced before as Batgirl...but this time around, Babs may have found a way to defeat her for good as Oracle!

64 pages, $7.99, available on April 13
    So much for Urban Legends writing Jason in a novel way, we're back to the "conflict with Batman due to misunderstandings" plots for the nth time. And they still haven't changed the costume.

Meh.

Actually, I bought some of the "old stuff" when it originally came out.
    I guess so. I should've better said re-read ^_^U. I think I remember you said you had some age when we were talking about my grandma's childhood like.. a year and half ago?

Hope you enjoy your readings, anyways

Dexter Soy got Green Lantern btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post

So much for Urban Legends writing Jason in a novel way, we're back to the "conflict with Batman due to misunderstandings" plots for the nth time. And they still haven't changed the costume.

Meh.
    My hope is that after everything's said and done, Jason reconciles with Bruce (for the 485th time) and gets the hell out of Gotham to do his own thing for good. There's only so many times you can do the same shit over and over again and they're clearly not interested in having different relationship dynamics with Bruce and the rest (recently, we've had TJ and the aftermath of Cobblepot's "assasination"). Also, a brand new outfit.

Alas, he'll probably not get an ongoing, so chances are he's appearing in Batfamily books with these kinds of story hooks.