Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 367
  1. #16
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,791

    Default

    Thinking about it shouldn't an editor be the one in charge of the whole line and not a writer?

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thinking about it shouldn't an editor be the one in charge of the whole line and not a writer?
    Should be, but writers (Snyder in particular)have been calling the shot for at least, since Zero Year.

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    7,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Should be, but writers (Snyder in particular)have been calling the shot for at least, since Zero Year.
    Well, not all writers. Only some. Those ones, like Snyder and Bendis, wrote their own story events which would then have the snowball effect of derailing smaller books/not so big name writers. Joker War for Jason is a recent example of this.

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thinking about it shouldn't an editor be the one in charge of the whole line and not a writer?
    I think it should be Chief Creative Officer but I don't know who's that now... oh it's Jim Lee

    Anyway, I like writer leading because that means we get character/plot first direction instead of marketing, with editor's job is only to keep them consistent with the other books

  5. #20
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Surprised Tynion's newsletter hasn't been posted yet.

    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/jame...and-the-joker/

    I'm not sure about what to think of these possibilities, to be honest. For a unified storyline running among multiple titles to work, it needs that the person in charge of it has the needed chops to spin so many plates at once and unfortunately, DC has proved again and again that they no longer have people around able to do that. Furthermore, Tynion is the current architect of the Batman universe for the foreseeable future, and I've never liked his work or the creative choices he makes (to not mention that the one time he wrote Jason it was an unreadable mess) so I'm worried the remedy ends up being worse than the sickness.

    We'll have to wait and see, I guess.
    I've seen that newsletter in other threads. I'm not sure about what to think of it either. This sounds like they are planning ahead for a long period of time. But DC is also known for cancellations and changing plans along the way. I'd welcome solos for Red Hood and Grifter and a new Outsiders run though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Thinking about it shouldn't an editor be the one in charge of the whole line and not a writer?
    Weren't a lot of editors fired in the last lay-offs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I think it should be Chief Creative Officer but I don't know who's that now... oh it's Jim Lee

    Anyway, I like writer leading because that means we get character/plot first direction instead of marketing
    , with editor's job is only to keep them consistent with the other books
    I prefer it when editors are more hands-on and tell a writer no if they are going overboard with their ideas. Especially DC writers are prone to playing favorites and pushing their darling characters while dragging other characters through the mire.
    Last edited by Sergard; 01-02-2021 at 06:41 AM.

  6. #21
    Amazing Member CorDaytona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Beyond Tynion's words as a whole giving me more hope for a potential Red Hood solo after his B:UL arc, the thing that stood out to me the most is this:
    For the first time in the history of my working in and around Gotham City, I have an answer to pretty much to the "where can I find THIS character" for every fan-favorite.
    Hoping they give lesser Batfamily members more to do and more consistently. Tynion being in charge of the whole line and it being more tight could be good, but I also don't find him a particularly amazing writer (enjoying his Batman, though) and it's just empty words for now.

    Also, kinda like Grifter becoming a part of the Gotham portion of the DC universe. I admit I know very little of the WildStorm guys, but I like him alright in the sporadic appearence I've seen him of him.

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    I prefer it when editors are more hands-on and tell a writer no if they are going overboard with their ideas. Especially DC writers are prone to playing favorites and pushing their darling characters while dragging other characters through the mire.
    Oh yeah that's part of the editing. The idea comes from writers or the chief creative officer since they're the creatives. Editors cut things down, keep things consistent, and in character. Should be that way at least. I don't know what DC editors actually do since there's no consistency, but I don't want them, the non creatives to create ideas. That's how we got New 52 Tim is never Robin and amnesia Dick. On the other hand if Jason's moved on from Joker in Red Hood but not in Batman, that's the editors not doing their job.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-02-2021 at 11:08 AM.

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Anyway, I like writer leading because that means we get character/plot first direction instead of marketing, with editor's job is only to keep them consistent with the other books
    Dwepends probably on the Editor, Denny O'Niel who was the main Batman Editor for a long time was also a writer, and Peter Thomasi used to be an Editor.

    Btw. who is actually Batman Group Editor at this point?

  9. #24
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Dwepends probably on the Editor, Denny O'Niel who was the main Batman Editor for a long time was also a writer, and Peter Thomasi used to be an Editor.

    Btw. who is actually Batman Group Editor at this point?
    Ben Abernathy.

    Tynion mentions the whole editor crew in his newsletter:

    I also wouldn’t be able to do anything without the trust and support of the incredible Batman editorial group - Ben Abernathy, Paul Kaminski, Jessica Chen, Dave Wielgosz, Amedeo Turturro, and Rob Levin.
    Also from the newsletter:

    And the new Gotham Anthology title, BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS featuring the following stories in its first issue:

    RED HOOD by Chip Zdarsky and Eddy Barrows
    GRIFTER by Matt Rosenberg and Ryan Benjamin
    HARLEY QUINN/POISON IVY by Stephanie Phillips and Laura Braga
    THE OUTSIDERS by Brandon Thomas and Max Dunbar
    So is Red Hood the official title of Chip Zdarsky's story? I thought it's Batman/Red Hood.

  10. #25
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Imagine if Chip Zdarksy really gets the Red Hood solo after his Urban Legends arc!! Goddamn!!

    I have more hope than never that we will see Red Hodd get his solo back.

  11. #26
    Amazing Member CorDaytona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    Ben Abernathy.

    Tynion mentions the whole editor crew in his newsletter:



    Also from the newsletter:



    So is Red Hood the official title of Chip Zdarsky's story? I thought it's Batman/Red Hood.
    That's interesting, thanks for bringing it up.

    I don't know what the title will be, then. Might as well go for RED HOOD, it's not like Batman's name isn't in the anthology's cover already, so marketing is already taken care of. B:UL also seems to be using Batman as a vehicle for lesser known characters (well, except for Harley's story), so it'd make more sense to not include Batman's name in those stories as I assume he'll be a factor in all or most of them.

    And the premise of the story, while it doesn't necessarily mean anything, seems to point out at this being mostly from Jason's PoV:" renegade vigilante Jason Todd, a.k.a. Red Hood, is investigating a new and lethal drug sweeping through Gotham City. In the course of one night, this investigation will change his life forever—and put him in Batman’s crosshairs".

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    Imagine if Chip Zdarksy really gets the Red Hood solo after his Urban Legends arc!! Goddamn!!

    I have more hope than never that we will see Red Hodd get his solo back.
    That'd be amazing. Zdarsky seems to have a good pulse at street level characters if Daredevil is any indication.

    Not too sure, though, he might be too busy to handle another monthly ongoing, but it's certainly not impossible. He's become a big name, however, so if he's to write RH I imagine it'd be due to him liking the character (which I don't know), as Jason's not that big a draw. After all, he's probably excited to be writing Batman with B:UL rather than RH himself.

    I wonder if he came up with Jason being part of the story or if it was DC, which is what I assume.
    Last edited by CorDaytona; 01-02-2021 at 01:14 PM.

  12. #27
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    That's interesting, thanks for bringing it up.

    I don't know what the title will be, then. Might as well go for RED HOOD, it's not like Batman's name isn't in the anthology's cover already, so marketing is already taken care of. B:UL also seems to be using Batman as a vehicle for lesser known characters (well, except for Harley's story), so it'd make more sense to not include Batman's name in those stories as I assume he'll be a factor in all or most of them.

    And the premise of the story, while it doesn't necessarily mean anything, seems to point out at this being mostly from Jason's PoV:" renegade vigilante Jason Todd, a.k.a. Red Hood, is investigating a new and lethal drug sweeping through Gotham City. In the course of one night, this investigation will change his life forever—and put him in Batman’s crosshairs".



    That'd be amazing. Zdarsky seems to have a good pulse at street level characters if Daredevil is any indication.

    Not too sure, though, he might be too busy to handle another monthly ongoing, but it's certainly not impossible. He's become a big name, however, so if he's to write RH I imagine it'd be due to him liking the character (which I don't know), as Jason's not that big a draw. After all, he's probably excited to be writing Batman with B:UL rather than RH himself.

    I wonder if he came up with Jason being part of the story or if it was DC, which is what I assume.
    I think Red Hood would be the perfect starting point for Zdarski in DC and Batman universe. As you say, he writes so well the « street-level » heroes.

    I don’t know how many times he has left on Daredevil, but maybe i’m sure he can do them both full time, around august, after RH’s arc in Legends. Hell Coates does it on thor, venom and king in black!

  13. #28
    Caperucita Roja Zaresh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    2,960

    Default

    It's just a hunch, but I think he's going to be on and off writing for the character. Not a month by month work, but maybe a few stories with someone else in the in between? Or not.

    Ok, that's me meaning, I don't think he's going to write for Jason after the mini, but I hope he's going come back later on. Also, I hope someone else whose work I don't dislike takes over the character after this 6 issues story.
    Always changing; ever the same.

    This is my Tumblr. Sometimes I post stuff there.

  14. #29
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,744

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It's just a hunch, but I think he's going to be on and off writing for the character. Not a month by month work, but maybe a few stories with someone else in the in between? Or not.

    Ok, that's me meaning, I don't think he's going to write for Jason after the mini, but I hope he's going come back later on. Also, I hope someone else whose work I don't dislike takes over the character after this 6 issues story.
    That's actually a big problem for me. There are so many writers that I don't like.

    I wish there were more information in general and more interviews with the writers to have a better understanding of how the DC universe is going to look like in 2021 (and the next few years).

  15. #30
    Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,951

    Default

    I’m sure we’ll get some the closer we get to March.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •