Page 32 of 120 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

If it's just Jason running out of patience it's happened at the end of Red-ARSE and during Penguin. That one I'm okay. The talk with Alfred took place during UTRH, that one I'm okay too. As for the present, I'm waiting for the drug explanation, otherwise...

This gives me the same vibe as New 52 Batman and Robin, where they go back to basics because it's a new number #1, new era. At that time fans were annoyed that Damian's depicted as a brat again even though he mellowed right before that. This feels like that, reestablishing what people already know for the sake of familiarity before launching the actual story. Damian's issue was resolved the moment the arc is over and during the arc there was a misdirection, but subsequent depictions are clearer.

The problem is the Lasting Consequences part. This can go either way. I'm gonna wait for that too.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    If it's just Jason running out of patience it's happened at the end of Red-ARSE and during Penguin. That one I'm okay. The talk with Alfred took place during UTRH, that one I'm okay too. As for the present, I'm waiting for the drug explanation, otherwise...

This gives me the same vibe as New 52 Batman and Robin, where they go back to basics because it's a new number #1, new era. At that time fans were annoyed that Damian's depicted as a brat again even though he mellowed right before that. This feels like that, reestablishing what people already know for the sake of familiarity before launching the actual story. Damian's issue was resolved the moment the arc is over and during the arc there was a misdirection, but subsequent depictions are clearer.

The problem is the Lasting Consequences part. This can go either way. I'm gonna wait for that too.
    The difference being is that B&R was an ongoing series and the writer was in for the long run so it was somewhat understandable they decided to go with that approach. Urban Legends is an anthology and there's a finite number of issues available to Zdarsky to tell his story if he really pretends to retread the same plot beats for the sake of "easing" up new readers into the status quo, the gesture becomes meaningless because once the story is over Jason's adventures would continue in a different book. And what if the new writer wants do the same as Zdarsky and repeat the same story beats to "ease" up new readers?

Lasting consequences. Eh, picture me skeptical. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    The difference being is that B&R was an ongoing series and the writer was in for the long run so it was somewhat understandable they decided to go with that approach. Urban Legends is an anthology and there's a finite number of issues available to Zdarsky to tell his story if he really pretends to retread the same plot beats for the sake of "easing" up new readers into the status quo, the gesture becomes meaningless because once the story is over Jason's adventures would continue in a different book. And what if the new writer wants do the same as Zdarsky and repeat the same story beats to "ease" up new readers?
    Then I'm giving it two story arcs. This one and that one's beginning. That's it though.

Jason going off the rails with Penguin was editorial coming down over Lobdell to demand Jason getting out of Gotham so King could tell his trainwreck of a story. That's why everything was so sudden and wasn't developed organically. Supposedly creators have more leeway now, so there shouldn't be a reason to rush things out nor to ignore where Martinbrough left the characters at the end of his story (and let's not forget that the editor himself was the one who said Urban Legends would pick up where Red Hood left) and as pointed out above, the way Bruce is being written is inconsistent with the main book already. Jason is being written overtly emotional for no reason other than to create drama and isn't even well handled, a core element of his character for a while now is keeping kids from going through the same things he went through as Robin. spoilers:
    So why the hell is he dragging now a freaking kid while going at a drug den? And then just to leave him in an alley with no means to defend himself or anything? That is monumentally stupid and makes absolutely no sense for Jason to make such a mistake. He called Oracle, he should've gotten her to arrange a place to keep the kid safe while he went looking for his father. Or hell, take him to Leslie.
    end of spoilers

This is just either Zdarski going with the belief that Jason is so emotional that is prone to make stupid mistakes, or he's intentionally making him act dumb for drama's sake.

Anyways, Toy News International also reported the Unmasked Red Hood leak and they also confirmed that some of the other figures leaked could be seen in the background of one of Todd's videos, legitimating the leak.

https://toynewsi.com/10-38264

They also mention that any figure under the "Gold Label" sub-line are Walmart Exclusives in the US.
    spoilers:
    Is Leslie back to life? I recall she was whacked some months back.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Pretty sure she showed up during Joker War.

Jason going off the rails with Penguin was editorial coming down over Lobdell to demand Jason getting out of Gotham so King could tell his trainwreck of a story. That's why everything was so sudden and wasn't developed organically. Supposedly creators have more leeway now, so there shouldn't be a reason to rush things out nor to ignore where Martinbrough left the characters at the end of his story (and let's not forget that the editor himself was the one who said Urban Legends would pick up where Red Hood left) and as pointed out above, the way Bruce is being written is inconsistent with the main book already. Jason is being written overtly emotional for no reason other than to create drama and isn't even well handled, a core element of his character for a while now is keeping kids from going through the same things he went through as Robin. spoilers:
    So why the hell is he dragging now a freaking kid while going at a drug den? And then just to leave him in an alley with no means to defend himself or anything? That is monumentally stupid and makes absolutely no sense for Jason to make such a mistake. He called Oracle, he should've gotten her to arrange a place to keep the kid safe while he went looking for his father. Or hell, take him to Leslie.
    end of spoilers

This is just either Zdarski going with the belief that Jason is so emotional that is prone to make stupid mistakes, or he's intentionally making him act dumb for drama's sake.

Anyways, Toy News International also reported the Unmasked Red Hood leak and they also confirmed that some of the other figures leaked could be seen in the background of one of Todd's videos, legitimating the leak.

https://toynewsi.com/10-38264

They also mention that any figure under the "Gold Label" sub-line are Walmart Exclusives in the US.
    The conflict with Penguin was set several issues before any late minute change King-related happened. And the emotional mood Jason was in was set in issue 22, with the letters. I'm just a reader, but if I were to guess, based on what one can read, I think that what was actually changed in the last minute by editorial mandate was; that the conflict with Batman because of the shooting put Jason out of the city and wasn't in the city, and that he would be alone (because Bizarro, and especially Artemis, still had some plot to develop with Jason). I can guess that the original idea was for Jason to shoot Penguin, and then the plot around the Iceberg was going to happen, with Art and Biz instead the sisters, or alongside them. It could have last 10 or more issues, and have been running parallel with a more urban oriented underlife plot. Just my thoughts. You may have a better idea of what actually happened.

spoilers:

Why he went with the kid? Because he was going to bring the kid to his dad. He didn't know the dad was in a drug den. And when he found out, the idea may have transitioned to get in, find the dad, get out with the dad. No mayor issue there for me, it's pretty standard narrative in suspense stories. Does the real life work different?Yes. But real life lacks tension. And that's why fictional character don't stop for one page to go look for a place to put the victims in a safe place in an ongoing case. It happens in fiction all the time.
    end of spoilers

Again, just my opinion.

Edit: I don't think Jason was overreacting. The whole story hit close home, when he was stressed by the case. And we know he has PSTD. I know I sound like I'm making excuses for a writer I like, but really, so far, I don't find the issue troubling. I mean, sure, it has problems, like the status quo between Jason and Batman. But I don't see much more. I'll look hopefull for the next one.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-09-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    spoilers:
    Is Leslie back to life? I recall she was whacked some months back.
    end of spoilers
    Her death turned out to be a simulation to test Batman's resolve that he does every year, and every time he's done with the sim test, he mindwiped himself or something, so the test will be fresh every year.

Her death turned out to be a simulation to test Batman's resolve that he does every year, and every time he's done with the sim test, he mindwiped himself or something, so the test will be fresh every year.
    Pfff, and they say Jason has some edge.

Yeah, I wouldn't put much weight behind the "long-lasting consequences" phrase. Here's hoping, though.

Especially since I don't know what the hell the character will be up to in 2021 after Issue 6 (beyond that FS thing): will he be back for another mini in Urban Legends or other compilation book? As a back-up for another character's title? A solo ongoing (lol)?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The only thing that didn’t heal right about Jason is his relationship with Bruce. I don’t mind Zdarsky breaking & rebuilding it again if it means that the stuff that needs to be addressed actually gets addressed this time.

If all 6 parts end up being roughly 24 pages I hope it gets collected in its own separate trade one day.
    Last edited by Arsenal; 03-10-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Amazing Member

Zdarksy and Barrows knocked it out off the park with this first part! They are the best!

I love how RedHood is back at being gritty and badass. Zdarski is awesome. I don’t care if it’s another Jason vs Bruce thing, i’m pretty sure Zdarsky is gonna resolved a lot of Jason past demons, including relationship with Bruce/Batman.

More confident than ever, that after that story, it’s gonnae place Red Hood in a very nice place for his solo to return, with Zdarsky or not. Still crossing fingers for him to keep RedHood, he’s perfect for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The only thing that didn’t heal right about Jason is his relationship with Bruce. I don’t mind Zdarsky breaking & rebuilding it again if it means that the stuff that needs to be addressed actually gets addressed this time.

If all 6 parts end up being roughly 24 pages I hope it gets collected in its own separate trade one day.
    Oh, yeah, a deconstruction of their relationship for a cathartic exchange would be ace: vent all of your thoughts and feelings to each other to hopefully put a different perspective in both characters that allows them to grow and see that, while the other's in the wrong path in their eyes, they still want the same and are ultimately family who loves each other.

This could also be a story that kinda puts Jason in the map for many readers, and they'd understand where he came from and where he might be going in the future. After all, Urban Legends is supposed to spin into new books, so hopefully Jason is one of those lucky characters.

We've been riding off UtRH for too long, in any case. You can honour that event (by far Jason's best story and his current persona's origin), while advancing and changing the status quo. If you still want to maintain Jason as the odd one in Batfamily, sure, do that. But enough with the cheap drama that does nothing but regurgigate the same tired old points.
    Ridiculous how this man made the GOAT Red Hood and Jason, whew.

It'd be a crime if he wasn't brought back as the artist for a mini or an ongoing. Hardly see other artists post so much of a specific character, at least artists as talented as Dexter.

I read Urban Legends and I'm completely onboard with Jason story. Never much been of a fan, but Zdarsky and Barrows kept my attention till the end.