Page 39 of 120 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    That is a problem because that is precisely what perpetuates the idea that Jason can only be an angsty, whiny bitch that just can't get over Batman and Joker.
    Well, it's what it is "shrugs". They're trying to reach new readers, probably young adult and late teens. The traditional audience is dying or leaving the reading base, apparently.

The high and loud tone of Jason also has to do with the cartoon mood I mentioned, that is also my guess. It's a rather common place practice in the cartoons that I watch. It's not my cup of tea ifself, isn't what I would do if I were to introduce the character to new audiences, but it's not wrong or bad by itself, I think. I also expect it to be toned down in following stories with Jason under the same writer or others that follow that plot thread and style. Because I'm guessing there will be more at some point.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-29-2021 at 09:08 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trt-R5 View Post
    Chip zdarsky was/is (I'm not sure) doing an AMA on Twitter and someone asked him if he had any plans for Jason after urban legends, and his answer was "nothing in the works". So if DC are planning to give Jason an ongoing comic in the near future, chip won't be the writer
    Thats sucks.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I found a better photo of the unmasked Red Hood version by McFarlane.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

Welp, that face needs work. But I do appreciate both the Dexter's inspiration and the lack of domino mask. I don't like when they have him don both the helmet and the mask. It should be either of them

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    Unsurprising, so not bummed out. I simply need a RH solo with finally a good writer (and a good direction for Jason), no preferences in particular.

The character will probably stay as a guest/back-up one for the duration of this year, though.
    Please, no more "guest" appearances.

Please, no more "guest" appearances.
    You'll get guest appearances and you'll like it (well, most likely not :P).

In any case, I do wonder what DC's stance regarding the character is. I'm not too educated regarding sales of his solo and all, but they probably know/think there's a good amount of people (might just be a vocal minority, tho) that like the character, so they'll probably make use of him even if it's not in his own run. They're already doing that, after all, him kickstarting two anthology books and all. And, of course, there's been a lot of moves regarding FS and IF and some mainstay books aren't even back yet (like Aquaman).

Then there's the whole thing with Tynion and his long-term plans for Gotham. I don't know if that side of the DC universe will be better linked or if it's just going to be the same thing with awkwardly put together collabs and events, but I guess he'll do stuff there too on ocassion as a guest character for Bats, Damian, Dick...

So that's the consolation, at least (if there's good to be found in those stories, that is. I'm happy enough myself with Zdarky's story thus far). Other characters have less, I guess. Still sad, I want my monthly run.
    Last edited by CorDaytona; 03-29-2021 at 01:45 PM.

It will depend a lot on how Urban Legends delivers on its promise of a new Status Quo for Jason but Tynion is a bad writer and I do not trust his ideas as the one in charge of the Batman family, so I'm more than perfectly okay if Jason being reduced to mere guest appearances spares him from more awful mischaracterization and bad writing.

All-New Member

I have to agree. I don't think Tynion is a bad writer, he surely has is strong suits, but he's creating characters after characters that ocupy the position (in regards to the story) that normally Jason or other existing characters would. So I'm hoping for a black label book staring Jason that hadn't the normal constraints of editorial and the writer, whomever he or she is, makes something interesting and fresh with the character instead of repeating his "best-of", and eventually the ongoing comic starts from there.

But at least one thing I have to give to Tynion is that he is way more respectful towards Jason's character than Tom king was. Tynion might not get the character and sometimes write him in some ways that stray from his normal characterisation, but he doesn't write him as the butt of the jokes and an imature "jock" every time there is a gathering of the familly. Something king loved to do.
    I know its a lot of wishful thinking from my part, but what can you do ��

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What did they use for face reference? Anjelica Huston?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    What did they use for face reference? Anjelica Huston?
    At least the hair is nicely modelled, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Trt-R5 View Post
    I have to agree. I don't think Tynion is a bad writer, he surely has is strong suits, but he's creating characters after characters that ocupy the position (in regards to the story) that normally Jason or other existing characters would. So I'm hoping for a black label book staring Jason that hadn't the normal constraints of editorial and the writer, whomever he or she is, makes something interesting and fresh with the character instead of repeating his "best-of", and eventually the ongoing comic starts from there.

[...]
    I consider this a good thing though. Let Jason move on from Batman and Co and create new characters that can be butchered by Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl and Robin writers.

I consider this a good thing though. Let Jason move on from Batman and Co and create new characters that can be butchered by Batman, Nightwing, Batgirl and Robin writers.
    But that's the problem, be Tynion or Editorial, they don't want to let him spread his wings. The first thing they did once Lobdell left the book was drag Jason back to Gotham and put him straight into conflict with Bruce. Future State immediately put Jason as the "rotten apple" of the Batfamily, (seemingly) working against them. At this point is clear that whoever is calling the shots creatively in the Batfamily only sees Jason as a convenient obstacle to pit the Batfamily against and not as a full-fledged member of it.

But that's the problem, be Tynion or Editorial, they don't want to let him spread his wings. The first thing they did once Lobdell left the book was drag Jason back to Gotham and put him straight into conflict with Bruce. Future State immediately put Jason as the "rotten apple" of the Batfamily, (seemingly) working against them. At this point is clear that whoever is calling the shots creatively in the Batfamily only sees Jason as a convenient obstacle to pit the Batfamily against and not as a full-fledged member of it.
    Lobdell, for as loved and hated on here, at least tried to give Jason his "New Teen Titans" era, like what Dick got, where he can be his own character with sometimes interacting with other Bats. Most writers though, can't but help to want to try their own "Under the Red Hood" or Jason stacking up against the Bats for some reason.

Kind of sad that fanfic writers can actually find a balance between Jason doing his own thing, but also interacting with the Bats better than those that are supposedly paid for the same thing.

Ok, this is very interesting.

DC is holding a series of Twitter polls with pitches for comic series and they promise that the winner will become an actual series. Why this matter to us? Because one of the pitches is about a series with all of the Sons of Batman titled Robins.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1377289840438304768
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1377289846524276741

Seeing that Jason is stuck rehashing UtRH in the main universe, this might be our only shot in the foreseeable future to see a different take. So please, make sure to vote for "Robins" so hopefully, it can win.

Ok, this is very interesting.

DC is holding a series of Twitter polls with pitches for comic series and they promise that the winner will become an actual series. Why this matter to us? Because one of the pitches is about a series with all of the Sons of Batman titled Robins.

https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1377289840438304768
    https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1377289846524276741

Seeing that Jason is stuck rehashing UtRH in the main universe, this might be our only shot in the foreseeable future to see a different take. So please, make sure to vote for "Robins" so hopefully, it can win.

Wish I could. I'm not a USA reader :/

Edit: I voted in the tt poll, if it helps.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 03-31-2021 at 10:15 AM.