Page 48 of 120 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Dragging the kid around and leaving him in an alley, hoping nothing happens to him while he goes into a druglord's den is the further thing away from protecting him. And he's at the very least in friendly terms with Barbara, so why not get her to set a safe place for the kid to stay with? In the past the safety of others has always been Jason's top priority, not killing criminals.
    Because that's the sort of thing all heroes (all of them) often do and we are expected to now think about.
    Because stopping to ask Barbara and leave the kid with the cops or something wouldn't make for a story and is narratively boring and kills the pathos created by the meeting with the kid and the dossed mom.
    Because Jason was emotionally very stressed.
    Because he meant to be there to find a regular working place, not a drug factory, if I recall.
    Because he entered the building thinking he would find the parent and exit with him alive and reuniting parent and son, who would be finally safe.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-17-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

DC Nation said Future State Gotham will be in black and white inspired by manga. Didn't know that. Thought it's just the inking.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    DC Nation said Future State Gotham will be in black and white inspired by manga. Didn't know that. Thought it's just the inking.
    I thought the same, but after reading that interview, and looking at those pages, I can see now that it's in black and white. Those pages use a lot of screentones, like manga. And I don't think many artists use screentones in their western, more comercial works.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Because that's the sort of thing all heroes (all of them) often do and we are expected to now think about.
    Because stopping to ask Barbara and leave the kid with the cops or something wouldn't make for a story and is narratively boring and kills the pathos created by the meeting with the kid and the dossed mom.
    Because Jason was emotionally very stressed.
    Because he meant to be there to find a regular working place, not a drug factory, if I recall.
    Because he entered the building thinking he would find the parent and exit with him alive and reuniting parent and son, who would be finally safe.
    When you have to pull a bunch of excuses to justify a character acting dumb/out of character in a story, is a bad story. As simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    When you have to pull a bunch of excuses to justify a character acting dumb/out of character in a story, is a bad story. As simple as that.
    It's not a bunch of excuses, it's a list of reasons why he acted the way he acted and how he ended where he ended. It's a consequence of what happened since the first page of the first issue. And it's also a list of reasons why a writer would do what he does (well, I don't know if it's what Chip Zdarsky actually did, just to be clear).

I already told you the series of steps that put Jason and the kid in that place, following the story. Also, It's not even the first time Jason acted like that, messing up and lashing out for an emotional reason either. With the editorial history at hand, Jason acted like that in Countdown, for example. He acted like that too during RHATO in Rebirth. He's not an explosive character, but he definitely does have emotional breakdowns like those often enough to be a tool to use in a story. That's the reason why I think it's not implausible that he lashes. It's easy to see it as plausible because actual flesh and bone humans can also have moments of weakness and fallbacks. And Jason, with the info we're given in the actual story, has reasons to be put in that situation at the end of the first issue. It's building a character alongside a story, and it's a very good way of writing a story if you want my opinion.

It doesn't fit your idea in your head, I get it. But believe me: it's not bad writing. Writing is actually pretty good, honestly.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-17-2021 at 11:34 PM. Reason: uh, eh, sometimes I forget to delete sentences I haven't follow to the end

That interview is pretty compelling, Red Hood merged with any sort of 80/90s manga influence, (or even any 80s influence in general) is absolutely music to my ears and something I've been after for a while. I'm finally looking forward to this new series.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    That interview is pretty compelling, Red Hood merged with any sort of 80/90s manga influence, (or even any 80s influence in general) is absolutely music to my ears and something I've been after for a while. I'm finally looking forward to this new series.
    There's not a single bad manga era but 80/90s were an especially neat time.
    I have no doubts that the Future State: Gotham art will be amazing.

Do we know anything about Peacekeeper Three?

-----

Some cute Jason and Tyler artwork by the fan artist komru:

part 1

part 2

Put me in the 80s/90s manga era camp. Some of my favourite artstyles are from videogames, manga and anime around that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    There's not a single bad manga era but 80/90s were an especially neat time.
    I have no doubts that the Future State: Gotham art will be amazing.

Do we know anything about Peacekeeper Three?

I find it funny that Peacekeepers have pretty much a classic Red Hood flair to them (not that helmeted characters are particularly unique or rare in comics). Were I not in the know, I'd assume the one on the left is our boy.

Also, I wonder if FS Red Hood might become a skin down the line in Gotham Knights. I quite like it when the hood is down tbh, even if I'd rather he had a red helmet and, say, black jacket.

Those arts are so cute <3

You know, I just noticed, Jason's collected a sizeable amount of children and redheads by now. I wonder how long until the fanarts and fanfics working with it start to spam around the fandom .

Edited: also, it's funny that they made Tyler a redhead. At first I though it was because they were to make Catherine a redhead, but now, I wonder why red and not, let's see, chesnut haired, which is a pretty common hair colour everywhere.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-18-2021 at 09:32 AM.

You know, I just noticed, Jason's collected a sizeable amount of children and redheads by now. I wonder how long until the fanarts and fanfics working with it start to spam around the fandom .

Edited: also, it's funny that they made Tyler a redhead. At first I though it was because they were to make Catherine a redhead, but now, I wonder why red and not, let's see, chesnut haired, which is a pretty common hair colour everywhere.
    Yeah, now that you mention it, Jason seems to be a magnet for redheads, even mystical and alien redheads.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, now that you mention it, Jason seems to be a magnet for redheads, even mystical and alien redheads.
    he's following in the footsteps of his big bro Dick,

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick wants redhead, but they go to Jason. Dick attracts dark brooding people instead.

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorDaytona View Post
    Put me in the 80s/90s manga era camp. Some of my favourite artstyles are from videogames, manga and anime around that time.

I find it funny that Peacekeepers have pretty much a classic Red Hood flair to them (not that helmeted characters are particularly unique or rare in comics). Were I not in the know, I'd assume the one on the left is our boy.

Also, I wonder if FS Red Hood might become a skin down the line in Gotham Knights. I quite like it when the hood is down tbh, even if I'd rather he had a red helmet and, say, black jacket.
    I was confused by Peacekeeper One at first because the character Strike from Martinbrough's two-issue Red Hood story has a similar design.

And then DC confused me again with Tyler who wants to be "Blue Hood" in the Urban Legends story. But obviously, Tyler can't be a Peacekeeper in Future State because he wouldn't be old enough. If I remember correctly, Future State is only a few years in the future.

I'd be down for a FS Red Hood skin in Gotham Knights. Although I highly doubt that they'd add the kusarigama.

I'd definitely enjoy a fanfiction where Tyler meets the Generation Outlaw kids.

Is there a statistic how many percent of DC characters have black/red/blonde/etc. hair? I feel like the DC universe has a disproportional number of people with red hair - and not a lot of characters with brown/brunette hair.

fan artist: zynix

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Dick wants redhead, but they go to Jason. Dick attracts dark brooding people instead.
    XDDD Ok, that one was fun.

I was confused by Peacekeeper One at first because the character Strike from Martinbrough's two-issue Red Hood story has a similar design.

And then DC confused me again with Tyler who wants to be "Blue Hood" in the Urban Legends story. But obviously, Tyler can't be a Peacekeeper in Future State because he wouldn't be old enough. If I remember correctly, Future State is only a few years in the future.

I'd be down for a FS Red Hood skin in Gotham Knights. Although I highly doubt that they'd add the kusarigama.
    Future State's in Jason's story is five years into the future, if I recall. There're stories that go farther, but his is just five years forward.

I'd definitely enjoy a fanfiction where Tyler meets the Generation Outlaw kids.

Is there a statistic how many percent of DC characters have black/red/blonde/etc. hair? I feel like the DC universe has a disproportional number of people with red hair - and not a lot of characters with brown/brunette hair.

fan artist: zynix

You know? I think there is. I remember reading somewhere long time ago that it was about 30% or so of named characters with red hair. Honestly, I get why it was like that before modern printing techniques arrived serialised comics; but that they often keep not choosing brown as a colour nowadays, that's a mystery for me.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-19-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

A new Mini focused on BG and BB was just announced and the thing of note is this bit

The series lays to rest questions about Booster and Beetle's prominent inclusion in Infinite Frontier marketing. The pair were on the cover on Infinite Frontier #0and were included on a splash page image teasing many of DC's 2021 plans, and now readers know why.
    https://www.gamesradar.com/booster-g...ens-ryan-sook/

Do you know who else was in this same situation? Jason. And since he's only leading the first stories of FS: Gotham and Urban Legends, the chances of him getting something (a mini or a series) sooner than later just grow.