Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ok this is not going to be pretty.
    It definitely isn't.
    Also, confirms this is a story about parentship, and Bruce and Jason relationship. This turn mirrors Bruce's history with Jason. I wasn't expecting the kid to die, honestly. Feels like Chip took note of Rosenberg's Hawkeye, huh? Not the same situation, but it reminds me that one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Solicit's out. Along with the variant

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Ok this is not going to be pretty.
    Why? I really liked Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It definitely isn't.
    Also, confirms this is a story about parentship, and Bruce and Jason relationship. This turn mirrors Bruce's history with Jason. I wasn't expecting the kid to die, honestly. Feels like Chip took note of Rosenberg's Hawkeye, huh? Not the same situation, but it reminds me that one.
    What happened in Rosenberg's Hawkeye?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

[...]
    Solicitation for Future State: Gotham #3 is out too.

Red Hood comes mask to mask with Gotham’s most wanted, the Next Batman, as the future of the Bat-Family continues! It’s a deadly showdown made worse by the horde of psychopathic criminals who want to kill them both! And finally, the new Gotham villain Warmonger reveals himself!
    And in case somebody is curious: There's a Red Hood character on Earth-3. I guess it's the blond woman with the red mask.

Crime Syndicate #5

The Crime Syndicate crosses the line for the last time…and Alexander Luthor demands justice! Earth-3’s Luthor, Savanna, Venus, Power Tower, Red Hood, Lonar, and Thaal Sinestro band together to form the Legion of Justice and defend their world at all costs. Will the looming threat of the Legion stand in the way of Owlman, Superwoman, and Ultraman’s quest for global takeover? It all builds to a cliffhanger that will leave you on the edge of your seat!
    Question of the month: Who is Luthor’s secret weapon?
    Also, in this issue’s backup, witness the origin story of Johnny Quick, illustrated by Bryan Hitch!

Off-topic: There are news about Roy Harper in the soliciation of Infinite Frontier #2.

What secrets and changes lurk inside the newly expanded Multiverse? The devious Director Bones of the D.E.O. re-forms a ragtag team to keep the new worlds at bay, but was highly skilled agent Cameron Chase recruited because the director needs her help, or because he wants a patsy when things go south? Meanwhile, Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern, takes drastic measures to find his missing daughter. Someone has kidnapped Jade, and Alan’s going to find out why and bring her home. Plus, the resurrection of Roy Harper gives the former Teen Titan some unexpected and unpredictable new powers.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Weird that solicits dropped in the middle of the night. My thoughts

Get Joker
    The first book starring Jason since Lobdell left that I'm genuinely excited about.

Urban Legends
    They better don't have Jason become murder happy and completely break off from the Batfamily, I'd hate to have everything built so far thrown away just to return to square one.

Future State
    Slightly hopeful but I need to see the first issue before deciding if I'm picking this or not

Crime Syndicate
    I guess its nice to see our first alternate universe Red Hood but if is the lady on the cover, I wouldn't be able to know she's supposed to be Red Hood without the solicit. Like, there's nothing remotely related to Jason on her design.

Infinite Frontier
    This sounds like a mess but as long they have Jason and Roy eventually meet I will be happy.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

It’s going to be sooo good!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

Solicitation for Future State: Gotham #3 is out too.

And in case somebody is curious: There's a Red Hood character on Earth-3. I guess it's the blond woman with the red mask.

Off-topic: There are news about Roy Harper in the soliciation of Infinite Frontier #2.
    If that's Red Hood of Earth 3.... She needs a mask redesign. Jason's helmet (not the ugly face helmet) has the simplistic but awesome design going for it. That mask just does not work.

As for Tyler; No! Damn you DC, stop killing kids willy-nilly!

Amazing Member

I’m really optimistic about Red Hood having his solo back sometime this year. Since infitone frontier, he’s probably the most used character from the bat-family, not named Nightwing!

Pretty nice!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Weird that solicits dropped in the middle of the night.
    Maybe because it got leaked.

Someone posted a link in the Nightwing thread earlier, but the page was taken down. Then the actual solicit came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

(...)

What happened in Rosenberg's Hawkeye: Freefall? I recommend you reading it, now that I know you like Grifter. But for a short summary of what happened there, and why this turn in Chip's story reminds me a lot of it...

spoilers:
    In that story, we have Clint going against the Hood, a minor villain in NY, a mobster who also has a deal with a demon that gives him powers. A lot of stuff that I don't really want to spoil happens. All plans go slowly downhill, and certain teen hacker who worked for the Hood and now is helping Clint with his plans ends up dead, ultimately because of Clint's actions. Which makes Clint throw his plan out the window, look ad what he was doing and straight take action clear and fast.

Bryce was lovely, and made such a nice dynamic with Clint. I'll miss him.
    Look at this slightly spoilerish picture to see why I think like that. These two were fun and cute.

A pity the book didn't sell well enough. Matthew Rosenberg is a big, big fan of Clint too, and I think his books
    are the most I've enjoyed Clint since Fraction/Aja's run.
    end of spoilers

I don't know what to think about Roy getting powers, to be honest. Speaking of archers, much like Clint, he relies a lot on being tricky, smart and a really awesome archer. We will see.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-24-2021 at 10:04 AM.

We can get good azzarello, like in 100 bullets (a classic); middle way azzarello who writes something interesting that doesn't fit the character he writes, like in Hellblazer (still enjoyable read); or bad azzarello, like I felt him in Batman last time he was writing* a batman story. I think Jason has all the points for being in a good work (Jason hits several points he does write nicely), but who knows. I don't follow his work close enough to say if his newest works are good or not.

He's a very high profile writer, and that by itself is good, I think. It means DC still cares enough.
    I'm not too enthusiastic about Azzarello, especially since their writing is such a mixed bag. Yes there are some gems where the dark themes and tone that he uses work for the story and characters, but unfortunately a lot of the worst examples of his work mostly suffer from a reliance on shock value, and also from an insertion of obscenities where it feels bizarre or unnecessary, which makes the work feel gratuitous in more ways than one. Though hopefully this particular line up of characters and this setting could help to play into Azzarello's strengths. However, I still remain cautious to see how they will write Jason, as the only other example I can recall from them is Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

The actual selling point for me on this new title is the concept of Jason in a suicide squad book that is not hampered by continuity, along with the art by Maleev, whose style I really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    I’m really optimistic about Red Hood having his solo back sometime this year. Since infitone frontier, he’s probably the most used character from the bat-family, not named Nightwing!

Pretty nice!
    Whilst there's been an influx of 'batbooks' there's still no solos in sight for a lot of the members unfortunately, although in the case of Jason, the disappointment of there being no Red Hood solo or Red Hood team book in this new era is at least a little mitigated by this uptick in titles starring the character, even if they are all limited series. By August, Urban Legends #6 will conclude, Get Joker will begin with it's first issue, and I believe FS Gotham's first arc starring Red Hood is for 6 issues, so that'll be on it's 4th issue by then. It'll be a month with three different series starring Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    Crime Syndicate
    I guess its nice to see our first alternate universe Red Hood but if is the lady on the cover, I wouldn't be able to know she's supposed to be Red Hood without the solicit. Like, there's nothing remotely related to Jason on her design.
    I also recall Thomas Grayson from Justice League Generation Lost as the first 'post Jason Todd' alternate Red Hood. Although I believe it was an alternate future rather than an alternate universe but honestly same difference.
    Last edited by RedBird; 04-24-2021 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    I'm not too enthusiastic about Azzarello, especially since their writing is such a mixed bag. Yes there are some gems where the dark themes and tone that he uses work for the story and characters, but unfortunately a lot of the worst examples of his work mostly suffer from a reliance on shock value, and also from an insertion of obscenities where it feels bizarre or unnecessary, which makes the work feel gratuitous in more ways than one. Though hopefully this particular line up of characters and this setting could help to play into Azzarello's strengths. However, I still remain cautious to see how they will write Jason, as the only other example I can recall from them is Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

The actual selling point for me on this new title is the concept of Jason in a suicide squad book that is not hampered by continuity, along with the art by Maleev, whose style I really enjoy.
    That's the one about Jason, right? I keep thinking I should read it, but I always forget to do so. I guess it's time I check it.
    Maleev is definitely a draw for me.

Edit: by bad I mean weak. I don't think one can't say he writes bad stuff really. But, yeah, he has a list of common places and tropes that don't always serve or feel for the character he writes, and sometimes he overuses them too. It's his style as far as I've seen. Even Wonder Woman turned quite grim.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-24-2021 at 12:11 PM.

So, something I realized while reading the latest Scooby-Doo/Batman issue; the Robin in there (while almost 100% sure its Dick), is in the Robin suit most associated with Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, something I realized while reading the latest Scooby-Doo/Batman issue; the Robin in there (while almost 100% sure its Dick), is in the Robin suit most associated with Jason.
    If it's the red and black one, it's Tim's costume, actually. Which was the one they used for Jason in the Under the Red Hood movie. But it was originally Tim's.

If it's the red and black one, it's Tim's costume, actually. Which was the one they used for Jason in the Under the Red Hood movie. But it was originally Tim's.
    So...you're saying it WAS Jason's.

That's the one about Jason, right? I keep thinking I should read it, but I always forget to do so. I guess it's time I check it.
    Maleev is definitely a draw for me.
    Yeah that's the one. Upon rereads I did end up liking it as an overall story, however, if you are planning to read it, fair warning and spoiler here spoilers:
    It does lean heavily into the 'bad egg' routine with Jason, so keep that in mind. However, because of the darker tone and nature of the Dark Knight universe in general, it doesn't feel too out of place, plus in my opinion the narrative carries some ambiguity with it and some deliberate hypocrisy that doesn't make the story feel too black and white. In fact, in some ways, the end of this feels even more tragic than Ditf. But yeah, be warned there is a focus on 'unworthy robin' Jason, especially from Alfred.
    end of spoilers

Edit: by bad I mean weak. I don't think one can't say he writes bad stuff really. But, yeah, he has a list of common places and tropes that don't always serve or feel for the character he writes, and sometimes he overuses them too. It's his style as far as I've seen. Even Wonder Woman turned quite grim.
    Pretty much. Azzarello's work is usually at its best when the setting and characters are all morally dubious enough to carry the weight of the dark themes he generally uses, though as I mentioned before, sometimes even then it can still feel like it's being pushed way too far, which I hope won't be the case here.
    Last edited by RedBird; 04-24-2021 at 03:50 PM.