Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So...you're saying it WAS Jason's.
    Yes, for a while. Twice, I guess.

Ok, @RedBird. I'll keep that in mind.

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Yeah that's the one. Upon rereads I did end up liking it as an overall story, however, if you are planning to read it, fair warning and spoiler here spoilers:
    It does lean heavily into the 'bad egg' routine with Jason, so keep that in mind. However, because of the darker tone and nature of the Dark Knight universe in general, it doesn't feel too out of place, plus in my opinion the narrative carries some ambiguity with it and some deliberate hypocrisy that doesn't make the story feel too black and white. In fact, in some ways, the end of this feels even more tragic than Ditf. But yeah, be warned there is a focus on 'unworthy robin' Jason, especially from Alfred.
    end of spoilers
    What are you talking about!? The Last Crusade shows that spoilers:
    both Alfred and Bruce a surprisingly positive opinion of Jason. They do admit he has some issues but they are positive he can grow out of them and become a worthy successor to Bruce through their guidance. The big tragedy comes from the fact that Jason completely misunderstood and let his emotions got the better of him, leading to his capture by the Joker so he never knew what Bruce had in store for him.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    What are you talking about!? The Last Crusade shows that spoilers:
    both Alfred and Bruce a surprisingly positive opinion of Jason. They do admit he has some issues but they are positive he can grow out of them and become a worthy successor to Bruce through their guidance. The big tragedy comes from the fact that Jason completely misunderstood and let his emotions got the better of him, leading to his capture by the Joker so he never knew what Bruce had in store for him.
    end of spoilers
    I was trying to be vague enough for Zaresh so as not to spoil the whole storyline for them in my post.

(big spoilers)

I was talking about, spoilers:
    the fact that the comic features Jason killing or possibly killing someone and Bruce commenting that he could see Jason smiling and he is understandably disturbed by that, and in later events we see that Jason is very trigger happy and violent in the comic, and Alfred literally claims that Jason has no empathy, so yeah. It still does feature the 'bad egg' thing and it's definitely an important aspect of the book. BUT. As I tried to state as vaguely as possible to Zaresh, not only is Jasons behaviour fitting for this universe, but the story carries ambiguity in that sense that it doesn't go for the predictable 'Jason is just rotten and that's why he died' route, and as I stated, it has deliberate hypocrisy in it since later on in the conclusion despite Alfreds earlier comments and Bruces worries about Jason, both Bruce and Alfred note that Jason is not 'too far gone' or abnormal (like most of these kinds of stories) and that he is in fact quite similar to Bruce, and that with more time he could even surpass him. And yes, I know the big tragedy comes from Jason dying before he could know how much of a worthy successor Bruce considered him to be and the tragedy of Bruce losing Jason just as he realised the healthier road he could lead him on, that's why I said in my first post that the end of this book was more tragic than Ditf.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by RedBird; 04-25-2021 at 10:56 AM.

I see. Your original post was pretty misleading about the story.

Well that certainly wasn't my intention, as I said, I like this story, but I was just trying to give a heads up that this book certainly contains some 'bad egg' story elements, especially from Alfred, which in complete fairness is a very tired aspect for a lot of Robin Jason fans here, but that despite this warning, the story doesn't go too black and white with this element, and that Jason's behaviour also doesn't feel too out of place here thanks to the universes darker tone.

Alongside liking it, perhaps I should have been clearer and mentioned that I do recommend this book, but I just think it's fair to note what to be prepared for, especially when it comes to content that can be contentious for most fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Solicit's out. Along with the variant

Okay, first New52 had his sleeves going up to his wrists, then in rebirth they only reached the midway point of his forearms, then in rebirth 2.0 they only covered his shoulders, I remember joking around ages ago that Jason was slowly losing his sleeves more and more every year, and now we're just going full tank top here.

If it keeps going at this alarming rate, then I wonder by what year he's just going to lose the shirt entirely. XD

Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Left of Wild Dog that's the Futures End Version of Plastique.
    So far we know/guess:

1. row: Firefly, Banshee, Bloodsport, ???
    2. row: Plastique, Wild Dog, ???, Harley

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    What happened in Rosenberg's Hawkeye: Freefall? I recommend you reading it, now that I know you like Grifter. But for a short summary of what happened there, and why this turn in Chip's story reminds me a lot of it...[...]
    Thank you for the recommendation. I'll put it on my Marvel list, right under Moon Knight and Scarlet Spider.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBird View Post
    Okay, first New52 had his sleeves going up to his wrists, then in rebirth they only reached the midway point of his forearms, then in rebirth 2.0 they only covered his shoulders, I remember joking around ages ago that Jason was slowly losing his sleeves more and more every year, and now we're just going full tank top here.

If it keeps going at this alarming rate, then I wonder by what year he's just going to lose the shirt entirely. XD
    I wanted to make a similar joke - and then I saw the costume of Earth-3 Red Hood. I still consider Jason slowly getting stripped by DC funny - the state of female characters' costumes is just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post
    So far we know/guess:

Right?

Thank you for the recommendation. I'll put it on my Marvel list, right under Moon Knight and Scarlet Spider.

I wanted to make a similar joke - and then I saw the costume of Earth-3 Red Hood. I still consider Jason slowly getting stripped by DC funny - the state of female characters' costumes is just sad.
    At least its not New52 Starfire bad.

I loved the N52 costume of Starfire

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I loved the N52 costume of Starfire

Oh, because she has that fantasy style armor that has all the best stats, right?

No, because she looks gorgeous. When it comes to outfits I follow two overall criteria: how cool/beautiful it looks, it makes sense for the character to wear. And Rocafort's design fulfills both criteria with flying colors.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

Right?
    Seems correct.
    The guy between Wild Dog and Harley seems also familiar, but I have still no idea who he is.

Jason's cameos in today's Nightwing story in B&W

Well, I guess using the white streak to differentiate him from the others works...