Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why are comic readers so negative?

This may be a stupid topic, but I come to realise a lot of people are always complaining about almost everything published? Why?
    I don't know, I'm 31 and I started reading comics just kinda 10 years ago (Grant Morrison's X-Men) and got more and more into this whole thing. I'm still fascinated and totaly look forward to everything that's coming along the way.
    The only time I was about to feel bad about comics was when I was reading to much of the stuff people write on boards like this (no offense).
    One example: People are complaining about Bendis' X-Men, they are all out of character - I read X-Men (like stated before) since Morrison and (thanks to Marvel Essentials) everyhing written by Chris Chlaremont - and honestly: Everything is fine.
    God dammit, the UU for example is a mess, continuity-wise, but still, why not just enjoy?

People (comic book readers) should lighten up a little bit (IMO)

But, yeah, if there is a reason why some people buy comics even though they just complain, please, tell me why.

Thank you very much,

Markus

To interpret Bruce Wayne, "comic readers are a cynical, jaded lot."
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

People on the internet are usually much more negative than they are on this site.

But I'd guess a lot of it is due some reader's to attachment to comics of their childhood and how different comics are in tone today, but that'd be a generalization.

I understand the "Childhood"-Thing, but if they grow older, why they don't want something different?
    I also like some "retro-stuff", just because it brings me back to my childhood but on the other hand, always the same gets boring.
    Like I said, I totaly like stuff from the 80's and enjoy re-reading it, but I like (for example again) that there is no charles xavier institute anymore and it was great to see the x-men relocate to san francisco and the whole utopia thing. Now there is the JGS and Cyclops has his HQ in an old Weapon X facility (old meets new just like I want). I dunno (mainly reading Marvel), but there is something for everyone, if people would be more ope-minded.

I'm not very negative except for a few pre 52 stories and most of the new 52. I only like two new 52 books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Orlac View Post
    One example: People are complaining about Bendis' X-Men, they are all out of character - I read X-Men (like stated before) since Morrison and (thanks to Marvel Essentials) everyhing written by Chris Chlaremont - and honestly: Everything is fine.
    Uhm. imho, if you really think that then you didn't read the Claremont issues very well.

Today's Cyclops almost seems like a completely different character. And it's not just Bendis, a whole host of writers helped to get us there.

As for your original statement, I think the negative comments come mostly from readers who are tired of all the big reveals, reboots and uncovered mysteries that turn their once beloved characters into pale shades of their former selves. (See DC's the New 52 for example).

There's a few factors here, but the main on is that people who are dissatisfied are more motivated to voice their opinion than those who are satisfied, mostly because the idea that "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" has been ingrained in our society whether it is true or not, so people who take the time to voice their opinion is forums like this are usually the ones who are dissatisfied with it, making the balance seem more negative than positive. When I actually physically interact with comics fans (like in person and not on the computer-gasp ) at shops and cons, the balance is different and you hear a lot more people talking about what they like and the cool stuff they are reading or finding at the shows. There's still negativity, no one is satisfied all the time for certain, but the balance between positive and negative is more centered.

There are certainly other factors at play-unrealistic expectations, feelings of entitlement and ownership over other people's IP, the high cost of comics vs. entertainment delivered versus other entertainment forms increasing feelings that comics should deliver more for the value, etc. etc. but you get those things with all forms of pop culture, "nerd" culture, and entertainment (and real life things like jobs, schooling, sports, etc. etc.), not just comics. But if you go to places where people speak out about the things they "love" (whether it's comic forums, sports talk radio, political talk radio, etc. etc.) the people who are motivated to take the time to do so are the people who are dissatisfied, so if those are the places you look, the negativity is what you will find more often than not.

-M

Because many follow corporate owned characters instead of creators.
    BB

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I do get the impression that the complainers are Internet era people that obtain their media for free, cos they feel they are entitled to it. I've got a good job but I can only really afford a couple of books a week maximum. Some folk apparently read 30 comics a month, there's no way they are paying for that.

If you actually have to pay for stuff pretty soon you stop reading the stuff you don't love.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Because many follow corporate owned characters instead of creators.
    In the context of superhero comics, why follow creators? Just because a writer I'm a fan of like Paul Levitz or Mark Waid starts writing Wonder Woman doesn't mean I'm going to be interested in following her.
    Last edited by Pharozonk; 08-19-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    People on the internet are usually much more negative than they are on this site.

But I'd guess a lot of it is due some reader's to attachment to comics of their childhood and how different comics are in tone today, but that'd be a generalization.
    People anywhere are more likely to voice complaints than praise. It's just human nature. And the internet is an excellent platform to voice opinions without consequence.

I totally agree with this, read comics should be a means of fun and entertainment. If it doesn't brings rejoicing to someone or he doesn't like the way the story is being charged by the writer, just stop reading, that's natural. I can't understand why some people insist on staying just complaining about some books and still buy it every month. When I don't like something like when I'm watching a series and I think it's being bad conducted, I simply stop watching, I'm sure others will get my attention.

Although I'm empathetic with people who complain when their favorite character is bad led. I read Bendis' books and that whole speech about "the O5 have to go back to their time" tire me, if you don't like it, go read other titles rather than just kvetching, other people are enjoying and that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    In the context of superhero comics, why follow creators? Just because a writer I'm a fan of like Paul Levitz or Mark Waid starts writing Wonder Woman doesn't mean I'm going to be interested in following her.
    I think Billy means along the lines of Kick-Ass, Hellboy. Stuff written and owned by Mark Millar, or Mike Mignola, rather than Marvel, or Dark Horse. Creator owned, creator influenced, creator directed.

Not, I think, a case of following someone like JMS from Spider-Man to Superman, after loving their work on that, or Fantastic Four.

BANNED

I'm with the poster who says if all one is going to do is complain about a comic he buys then he should save his money and not buy it. Or actually bother getting a comic that is good. And there are better comics out there, you just have to put fourth the effort in finding them.

BANNED

Because they continue to buy comics they don't like because it has their favorite character in it?

I complain about everything, except what I'm reading. If issue one doesn't do it for me, I'm not buying issue two, or any following issue, ever. Too many good comics out there to read bad ones.