Page 54 of 107 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
Results 796 to 810 of 1594
  1. #796
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    I'm not versed in how the forum works, but is there a way to separate all of the massive image postings from conversation about Daredevil issues? It gets pretty annoying to try to read conversation and be confronted with 15 massive full page images. On this page alone, 75% of the postings are nothing but giant images. Maybe we could have a separate thread for art and one for conversation? Just a suggestion.
    Im sure you could just scroll pass the images, no?
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  2. #797
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Agreed, and moreover Matt has become pathetic, too self-righteous and unlikable. Rule #1 of storytelling is to make your protagonist easy to root for.
    I can honestly say I don’t mind that Matt wants to take responsibility for his actions. That rings more true for me than in Man Without Fear wherein he accidentally kills a prostitute and just goes about his life.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  3. #798
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Im sure you could just scroll pass the images, no?
    *shrug* =)
    Or you could just resize the images and post more than one at once as well, so that they don't force everyone to scroll several pages just to read the next conversation.

    Your approach inconveniences everyone else in the thread, while the one proposed above only inconveniences a single person. Or why not just make another thread for a gallery?

    I mean if you're hoping to make the thread your personal blog, go to town. I'm not an admin, I'm just pointing out that for anyone who is here to read or discuss Daredevil these images (particularly a non-stop flow of them) aren't very helpful or contributing. If I wanted the "Daredevil Art Gallery" thread I would've gone to it.

    Anyway, to each their own, you do you...
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

  4. #799
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    *shrug* =)
    Or you could just resize the images and post more than one at once as well, so that they don't force everyone to scroll several pages just to read the next conversation.

    Your approach inconveniences everyone else in the thread, while the one proposed above only inconveniences a single person. Or why not just make another thread for a gallery?

    I mean if you're hoping to make the thread your personal blog, go to town. I'm not an admin, I'm just pointing out that for anyone who is here to read or discuss Daredevil these images (particularly a non-stop flow of them) aren't very helpful or contributing. If I wanted the "Daredevil Art Gallery" thread I would've gone to it.

    Anyway, to each their own, you do you...
    Or you could just scroll….
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  5. #800
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Or you could just scroll….
    Yep, I guess you *do* want to make this thread your personal blog. Have at 'er. I'm out. =)
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

  6. #801
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Do unfortunate situations like this contribute to the current runs utter lack of originality, I wonder: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ay-1234983043/
    It's possible but I wouldn't read too much into the lack of new "interesting" characters/themes in Zdarsky's run. I do think Zdarsky's run has been very good up until the Elektra trainee/student and Mike/Butch plots which are not to my liking. Let's see how it all unfolds.

  7. #802
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    I'm not versed in how the forum works, but is there a way to separate all of the massive image postings from conversation about Daredevil issues? It gets pretty annoying to try to read conversation and be confronted with 15 massive full page images. On this page alone, 75% of the postings are nothing but giant images. Maybe we could have a separate thread for art and one for conversation? Just a suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jness View Post
    *shrug* =)
    Or you could just resize the images and post more than one at once as well, so that they don't force everyone to scroll several pages just to read the next conversation.

    Your approach inconveniences everyone else in the thread, while the one proposed above only inconveniences a single person. Or why not just make another thread for a gallery?

    I mean if you're hoping to make the thread your personal blog, go to town. I'm not an admin, I'm just pointing out that for anyone who is here to read or discuss Daredevil these images (particularly a non-stop flow of them) aren't very helpful or contributing. If I wanted the "Daredevil Art Gallery" thread I would've gone to it.

    Anyway, to each their own, you do you...
    This is a thread that posts all things Daredevil as noted on the first page. This is generally how all of the character threads work and this has never been a problem. Some of the "bigger" characters such as Spidey, Bats and Supes have many threads, but they are immensely popular. If you want to create a separate thread for a specific storyline, you're very welcome to do it. The way these threads work in this respect, from what I know, hasn't inconvenienced others and I've been around here a few years and in particular with regards to the Daredevil thread. Personally, I don't want to look around for other threads regarding Daredevil but prefer to have it all in one. This isn't limited only to one viewpoint i.e. conversations. Here we can find out about new issues, new collections, cover art, TV/film, fanart all in one. This is how I and many others prefer it. There are times when nothing happens for days and there is no conversation whatsoever whether images are listed or not. Jness, it's good to have you and you're welcome here. There are other forums where there predominantly is only conversation such as the Masterworks Boards which are IMHO pretty great and I would join them if I had more time, as I only observe them

  8. #803
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    It’s not a conspiracy. Were I in a position to create comics at Marcel or DC, based on that article, sadly enough I think I’d be very reluctant to create anything of my own considering I wouldn’t own it as opposed to using what already exists lest my new ideas are adapted to a successful movie or show and my compensation is next to nil. This wouldn’t be a very far fetched reason for why the current Daredevil has been nothing but one reused idea after another with nothing original on the horizon.
    This is quite a good point. Zdarsky does have the chance to create his own stuff in Image and elsewhere. I suppose some could think why bother creating something for Marvel/DC if the latter make a ton of cash from it and the creator gets nothing.

  9. #804
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Do unfortunate situations like this contribute to the current runs utter lack of originality, I wonder: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ay-1234983043/
    Not in the slightest. People don't get into writing comics with the hopes of getting movie royalties out of it. They know it's work for hire in somebody else's sandbox and they do it either because a) they want to play with those toys for a limited time, b) it gives them exposure they can use to help their creator-owned work, or c) it's a paying job and they want the money now not some hope of royalties in the future.

    There was never a promise of additional royalties so it's not like work was more creative in the past because they thought they were getting this money and that creativity dried up when it became apparent that it wasn't true.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  10. #805
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Not in the slightest. People don't get into writing comics with the hopes of getting movie royalties out of it. They know it's work for hire in somebody else's sandbox and they do it either because a) they want to play with those toys for a limited time, b) it gives them exposure they can use to help their creator-owned work, or c) it's a paying job and they want the money now not some hope of royalties in the future.

    There was never a promise of additional royalties so it's not like work was more creative in the past because they thought they were getting this money and that creativity dried up when it became apparent that it wasn't true.
    I think you may have mistaken my point. It’s precisely because any royalties would be a pittance compared to the enormous gross of movies and TV shows based on one’s own newly created characters and ideas that any willingness to do so is hampered. Why give Marvel or DC more IP you won’t own when you can take that to Image for stance? It’s a damn shame but it’s understandable.

    And yes, yesteryears were far and away more creative than today because this problem may not have been as common place since comic book properties have only so recently become incredibly lucrative. Most “new” characters today are tokenized versions of existing characters and the most popular villains are seldom put to rest to make way for anyone else or even lesser used characters. Kingpin, Green Goblin, Joker, Dr Doom, Lex Luther, etc., are ever present whereas decade passed there were more attempts to branch out and add instead of reuse the same character over and over and over again as is the case more often than not today.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  11. #806
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Does anyone know how sales have been? The most recent issue just got a second printing so I imagine the numbers are decent if not good?
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  12. #807
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    It's possible but I wouldn't read too much into the lack of new "interesting" characters/themes in Zdarsky's run. I do think Zdarsky's run has been very good up until the Elektra trainee/student and Mike/Butch plots which are not to my liking. Let's see how it all unfolds.
    Yes. But at this point I’m more in anticipation of what the next creative team will bring with the uncertainty that comes with that.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-18-2021 at 08:48 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  13. #808
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    This is quite a good point. Zdarsky does have the chance to create his own stuff in Image and elsewhere. I suppose some could think why bother creating something for Marvel/DC if the latter make a ton of cash from it and the creator gets nothing.
    I think this is why manga does so well. They own what they’re creating so they’ll have passion that doesn’t exist as much in most American comics.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-18-2021 at 08:32 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  14. #809
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Does anyone know how sales have been? The most recent issue just got a second printing so I imagine the numbers are decent if not good?
    No, unfortunately not. I used to monitor sales on a regular basis and collect figures but ever since the start of Covid and DC withdrawing from Diamond distribution and Marvel now doing something similar if not only with collected editions, hard sales data is basically unavailable.

  15. #810
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Yes. But at this point I’m more in anticipation of what the next creative team will bring with the uncertainty that comes with that.
    Huh, you're already there. I'm still hoping that something interesting and positive will come out of DD's jailtime, the Mike/Butch rise to power and the relationship with Detective North.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 07-18-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •