Page 55 of 107 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Results 811 to 825 of 1592
  1. #811
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Huh, you're already there. I'm still hoping that something interesting and positive will come out of DD's jailtime, the Mike/Butch rise to power and the relationship with Detective North.
    Me too, I suppose.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  2. #812
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    No, unfortunately not. I used to monitor sales on a regular basis and collect figures but ever since the start of Covid and DC withdrawing from Diamond distribution and Marvel now doing something similar if not only with collected editions, hard sales data is basically unavailable.
    Too bad. Since the second printing wasn’t an issue of particular significance such a first appearance or an anniversary issue or event or the like that must be a good sign for sales, I’d think.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  3. #813
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    I can honestly say I don’t mind that Matt wants to take responsibility for his actions. That rings more true for me than in Man Without Fear wherein he accidentally kills a prostitute and just goes about his life.
    I don't either, of course, up to a certain point... I dislike that he continues to get lectured about his privilege and has ineffectual or non-existent replies. The guy's a hero and should take some pride in that. Moreover, it's okay for him to beat himself up over a fatal mistake, but we're also 31 issues into the run now, right? It's already been established by Spidey and Luke Cage very early on in the run that collateral damage, while unfortunate, happens all the time; it's just that this is the first time it's happened to Daredevil in issue #1. At some point, 30+ issues later, I'd like for him to realize that like the other heroes, the world is better off with him out of jail than in.

    Of course, having said all that, the real reason Matt is in jail right now is because Zdarsky wanted a female Daredevil, and him being in jail was the plan all along since issue #1 for how to achieve that goal. And yes, that strengthens your point that the run is derivative, in this case of the female Wolverine, female Thor, etc runs.

  4. #814
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I don't either, of course, up to a certain point... I dislike that he continues to get lectured about his privilege and has ineffectual or non-existent replies. The guy's a hero and should take some pride in that. Moreover, it's okay for him to beat himself up over a fatal mistake, but we're also 31 issues into the run now, right? It's already been established by Spidey and Luke Cage very early on in the run that collateral damage, while unfortunate, happens all the time; it's just that this is the first time it's happened to Daredevil in issue #1. At some point, 30+ issues later, I'd like for him to realize that like the other heroes, the world is better off with him out of jail than in.

    Of course, having said all that, the real reason Matt is in jail right now is because Zdarsky wanted a female Daredevil, and him being in jail was the plan all along since issue #1 for how to achieve that goal. And yes, that strengthens your point that the run is derivative, in this case of the female Wolverine, female Thor, etc runs.
    Oh absolutely.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-18-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  5. #815
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Too bad. Since the second printing wasn’t an issue of particular significance such a first appearance or an anniversary issue or event or the like that must be a good sign for sales, I’d think.
    I wouldn't get too excited about second printings. I don't think the first printings of Daredevil are of a high number. It's only when something gets a third printing, that we can deduce that the comic is becoming a best seller.

  6. #816
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I don't either, of course, up to a certain point... I dislike that he continues to get lectured about his privilege and has ineffectual or non-existent replies. The guy's a hero and should take some pride in that. Moreover, it's okay for him to beat himself up over a fatal mistake, but we're also 31 issues into the run now, right? It's already been established by Spidey and Luke Cage very early on in the run that collateral damage, while unfortunate, happens all the time; it's just that this is the first time it's happened to Daredevil in issue #1. At some point, 30+ issues later, I'd like for him to realize that like the other heroes, the world is better off with him out of jail than in.

    Of course, having said all that, the real reason Matt is in jail right now is because Zdarsky wanted a female Daredevil, and him being in jail was the plan all along since issue #1 for how to achieve that goal. And yes, that strengthens your point that the run is derivative, in this case of the female Wolverine, female Thor, etc runs.
    Yes, very unfortunate if that is the case. They're constantly pushing for female versions instead of just promoting the female characters they already have or creating new ones. It's getting all too much in the face now. I'm really annoyed what they've done with Captain Britain recently.

  7. #817
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,933

    Default

    Daredevil by Lee Weeks:


  8. #818
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yes, very unfortunate if that is the case. They're constantly pushing for female versions instead of just promoting the female characters they already have or creating new ones. It's getting all too much in the face now. I'm really annoyed what they've done with Captain Britain recently.
    Precisely.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  9. #819
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    7,742

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    I think you may have mistaken my point. It’s precisely because any royalties would be a pittance compared to the enormous gross of movies and TV shows based on one’s own newly created characters and ideas that any willingness to do so is hampered. Why give Marvel or DC more IP you won’t own when you can take that to Image for stance? It’s a damn shame but it’s understandable.
    Except that very few Image characters get made into movies so those leaving to gamble on getting a movie deal with royalties are likely to be disappointed. Most write for Marvel because they want to write for Marvel or they don't want to gamble with their creator-owned work that they're essentially self-financing.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

    I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

    Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

  10. #820
    Astonishing Member Nanashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Except that very few Image characters get made into movies so those leaving to gamble on getting a movie deal with royalties are likely to be disappointed. Most write for Marvel because they want to write for Marvel or they don't want to gamble with their creator-owned work that they're essentially self-financing.
    Even so, the chances of being compensated for your work greatly improves if you own it should it ever happen to get picked up. It’s a far better gamble to put your best creative ability into creator owned work whereas at Marvel/DC tokenization of existing characters or recycling well worn and well lauded story ideas from previous creators will suffice, sadly enough, and if that is what gets adapted you don’t have to feel too cheated since none of it was yours to begin with.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-18-2021 at 04:06 PM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'

    - George Orwell

  11. #821
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    615

    Default

    I think it depends on the writer and where they are in their career arc. There are certain superstar writers who don't even write for the Big 2 anymore (or write comics in some cases); if this were the 60s, 70s, or 80s, guys like Brubaker and BKV would still be writing for DC and Marvel, and DC and Marvel products would therefore be better. Don't get me wrong. I love that Image and other creator-owned publishers exist; it's overall better for the industry, but yeah, it's probably been bad for the Big 2. (Not that this is the only reason that the writing sucks at the Big 2. The are many multi-faceted issues in play.)

    Now, if we're talking about a young, relatively unknown and new writer who just recently got his first Big 2 job -- someone like Jeremy Adams on The Flash, that guy is definitely not holding anything back. He wants to produce great work (to the best of his abilities) so he can make a name for himself so he can one day sell creator-owned work.

    The question then becomes where is Zdarsky in his career arc? He's sort of in the middle, right? I certainly wouldn't label him a superstar yet, but he's also not a fresh, baby-faced creator. Can I believe that Zdarsky keeps his best ideas for his creator-owned work and go with his B and C stuff for his Big 2 work? Yeah, I can. I think Nanashi's point does make sense when it comes to a mid-tier creator like Zdarsky who does both Big 2 work and creator-owned work.

    But even then, we may be overcomplicating things. Zdarsky has a humorist background, which makes him a good fit for Spidey, and he has received lots of praise for his Spidey work. I think it's possible that Zdarsky just isn't a good Daredevil writer, at least not long-term.

  12. #822
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    4,491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yes, very unfortunate if that is the case. They're constantly pushing for female versions instead of just promoting the female characters they already have or creating new ones. It's getting all too much in the face now. I'm really annoyed what they've done with Captain Britain recently.
    Heh, the reason I came to the thread was to ponder the possibilities of having Matt Murdock in a story with the old X-statix character Sharon Ginsberg. Why? They're both lawyers. Sharon is also the sort of person that Matt would probably find... interesting since her powers would probably cause her to stick out to him. Heck, given the cases she's been involved in, maybe have it that Matt's heard of her, even if he doesn't know much about her.

  13. #823
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, the reason I came to the thread was to ponder the possibilities of having Matt Murdock in a story with the old X-statix character Sharon Ginsberg. Why? They're both lawyers. Sharon is also the sort of person that Matt would probably find... interesting since her powers would probably cause her to stick out to him. Heck, given the cases she's been involved in, maybe have it that Matt's heard of her, even if he doesn't know much about her.
    Why not? It could be an interesting team-up. Sharon Ginsberg is wholly different to Matt but the lawyer connection could work.

  14. #824
    Extraordinary Member K7P5V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    5,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Why not? It could be an interesting team-up. Sharon Ginsberg is wholly different to Matt but the lawyer connection could work.
    Indeed. Along with the Allreds doing artwork for an issue or two on DD again would be most pleasant (IMHO):


  15. #825
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Along with the Allreds doing artwork for an issue or two on DD again would be most pleasant (IMHO):

    I like the Allreds. Silver Surfer was excellent. However, saying that, I don't really seem them as regulars on Daredevil.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •