Page 50 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'd rather not clutter the feed with a topic that will only come and go. I'm looking to get into Daredevil, specifically runs anywhere from the 90's to now. In your opinion, what are his best runs during that time? I'm partial to any Daredevil stories that harbor a moody atmosphere (brooding on gargoyles, fighting in the rain, self-reflection in churches, etc.).
    You could try the 90's DD run from D.G. Chichester.
    Hardly gets mentioned all that often, but it does have a rainy/moody atmosphere that might be of interest:

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    To me the best run is Frank Miller's original run.
    Then for latter runs, you have the excellent Marvel Knights era (a few runs = one story).
    For Marvel Knights you at least need to read "Micheal Brian Bendis' run" followed by "Ed Brubaker's run".
    After you only have good runs. Two by "Mark Wayd", one by "Charles Soules", and the current by "Chip Zdarsky".
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    If we're talking 90s, brooding, rain etc., then I would go with basically all of Vol. 2 i.e. Kevin Smith, David Mack, Brian Bendis, Ed Brubaker and even Andy Diggle's run. You don't really get all the moody atmosphere in Waid's run but it's still a worthy run. Charles Soule's run definitely has it's moments of "dark" atmosphere and is definitely worth reading.

My favourite Daredevil run is from the 1980s - Frank Miller's. There's definitely a lot of darkness there. It was ahead of its time and it still holds its own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Ed Brubaker's run is the best choice for that. Given the direct continuation from Brian Bendis, I'd recommend reading both together.

Given that we had such a sustained run of dark brooding (Bendis to Diggle), it's weird to think that most writers of this era were actually lighter. Karl Kesel, Joe Kelly, the guy who wrote the Playing to the Camera story, and Mark Waid. I'd put Kevin Smith, David Mack, and Charles Soule as sort of in the middle. Not quite dark brooding but not light, happier Daredevil either.
    Thanks all for the recommendations so far! I actually really appreciate the help! So far, I'm looking at Born Again, The Fall of Kingpin/Last Rites, all of Bendis' Run, and all of Brubaker's run. Charles Soule will be one I look at later (I enjoyed his work on Darth Vader). I haven't had a chance to look too much into the other writers mentioned yet, but I'll be looking into their stories/runs shortly. If you've got any other recommendations, I'm all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    You could try the 90's DD run from D.G. Chichester.
    Hardly gets mentioned all that often, but it does have a rainy/moody atmosphere that might be of interest:
    The picture alone sold me (I'm a sucker for atmospheric artwork). I'm actually really excited to read the "whole saga" from Born Again to The Fall of Kingpin/Last Rites.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Thanks all for the recommendations so far! I actually really appreciate the help! So far, I'm looking at Born Again, The Fall of Kingpin/Last Rites, all of Bendis' Run, and all of Brubaker's run. Charles Soule will be one I look at later (I enjoyed his work on Darth Vader). I haven't had a chance to look too much into the other writers mentioned yet, but I'll be looking into their stories/runs shortly. If you've got any other recommendations, I'm all ears!

The picture alone sold me (I'm a sucker for atmospheric artwork). I'm actually really excited to read the "whole saga" from Born Again to The Fall of Kingpin/Last Rites.
    If you're reading Born Again you have to read Miller's initial Daredevil run which precedes Born Again. It has darkness, death and suffering and introduces Elektra, Stick and the Hand.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I deliberately didn't mention Chichester because much of his run can be a drag. It's very 90s in art, in cross-overs, and in unnecessarily complicated stories. Last Rites (#297-300) and #304 are both great stories. Fall from Grace is polarizing but can be interesting. Tree of Knowledge is a bit of a slog. And, honestly, the other stories aren't particularly memorable. I think it's worth checking out for a Daredevil completist but it has a lot of caveats that prevent me from recommending it.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Incredible Member

I believe every long-running 1990s-to-now writer has been mentioned now, lol. The poster asked for 1990s-to-now recommendations, and the forum has effectively recommended almost every single issue in that era, lol.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I mean, I mentioned Kesel, Kelly, etc. but I didn't recommend them. Hell, I didn't even recommend Waid because he asked for dark. I also don't think anyone has mentioned writers like Gregory Wright.

To me, the dark writers are Chichester, Wright, Bendis, Brubaker, and Diggle. I'd recommend Bendis and Brubaker.
    Medium tone writers are DeMatteis, Kelly, Lobdell, Smith, Mack, Soule. I'd recommend Kelly, Mack, and Soule.
    The light tone writers are Kesel, Gale, and Waid. I'd recommend Kesel and Waid (I actually like Bob Gale's story arc, but I wouldn't make it a first choice).
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

This had me so excited. It held so much promise. Then I watched the show…..

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Although I was overall disappointed this is one of the best fight scenes in any superhero show or movie.

Last edited by Nanashi; 07-09-2021 at 09:24 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Season 2 was an unmitigated disaster. Season 3 was much better, however, with an excellent fight between Daredevil and Bullseye at the Bulletin.

- George Orwell

- Voltair

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post

I had the polar opposite reaction. And it lived up to every one of my very lofty expectations.

This series, otoh, did not. I just found it so dull and inconsequential:

B01EKDYEK4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I had the polar opposite reaction. And it lived up to every one of my very lofty expectations.

Unforgivable.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-09-2021 at 04:15 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Astonishing Member

Is it wrong to hope for a Daredevil/Seeing Being team up one day?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I mean, I mentioned Kesel, Kelly, etc. but I didn't recommend them. Hell, I didn't even recommend Waid because he asked for dark. I also don't think anyone has mentioned writers like Gregory Wright.

To me, the dark writers are Chichester, Wright, Bendis, Brubaker, and Diggle. I'd recommend Bendis and Brubaker.
    Medium tone writers are DeMatteis, Kelly, Lobdell, Smith, Mack, Soule. I'd recommend Kelly, Mack, and Soule.
    The light tone writers are Kesel, Gale, and Waid. I'd recommend Kesel and Waid (I actually like Bob Gale's story arc, but I wouldn't make it a first choice).
    This is a very good overall assessment. if not just focusing on the dark aspect, I'd probably also recommend Smith mainly for the importance of a certain event in that run and for it being the start of Vol. 2.

I thought DD S1'was good but the episodes could drag on and they really should have fitted it all in 10 episodes maximum, similarly to S2.

Although I was overall disappointed this is one of the best fight scenes in any superhero show or movie.

Fantastic fight scene. Pure genius.

Season 2 was an unmitigated disaster. Season 3 was much better, however, with an excellent fight between Daredevil and Bullseye at the Bulletin.
    DD S2 was definitely the weaker if all 3 seasons but still outshone Luke Cage. DD S3 was outstanding and is the best season of all the Netflix Marvel seasons and puts Daredevil at probably No. 1 in my Top 3 all time favourite Marvel series alongside The Gifted and The Incredible Hulk (Bixby/Ferrigno).

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post

That's a shame you didn't like it. I thought it was very good with some excellent moments and it happens to be one of my favourite Daredevil runs. I do dislike the last arc which ended the series and found that inconsequential and very rushed. From what I remember, Soule mentioned that he had one more story to tell. IMHO, Soule did a great job overall and was very creative.

Unforgivable.
    Yes, sacrilege