Page 57 of 162 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Yep. I checked out the issue. I guess I had a different impression.
    Oh, I could be wrong. Maybe this gives me an excuse to break out the Soule trades and start re-reading, which I've been meaning to do anyway since Zdarsky's run has gotten stagnant/boring with DD in jail and Elektra-as-DD being boring.

I was a little bit unkind about Soule a few pages back in this thread (not really, though, as all I said was that I liked Nocenti better and that Soule isn't an all-time great), but Soule is definitely better than Zdarsky, imo. And really, Soule's probably been the best writer on DD since Brubaker. Waid somehow won an Eisner writing DD, but his run wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Oh, I could be wrong. Maybe this gives me an excuse to break out the Soule trades and start re-reading, which I've been meaning to do anyway since Zdarsky's run has gotten stagnant/boring with DD in jail and Elektra-as-DD being boring.

I was a little bit unkind about Soule a few pages back in this thread (not really, though, as all I said was that I liked Nocenti better and that Soule isn't an all-time great), but Soule is definitely better than Zdarsky, imo. And really, Soule's probably been the best writer on DD since Brubaker. Waid somehow won an Eisner writing DD, but his run wasn't for me.
    What didn’t you like about Waids run?
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

I'm looking forward to receiving the Daredevil by Soule Omnibus which I pre-ordered and rereading the run in oversized format at some point. Although Waid's run is not one but of my favourites, I still found it very enjoyable and it's probably my most reread Daredevil run, in particular the NY issues. I ended up buying the floppies, the oversized hardcovers (which I need to sell) and eventually upgrading to the Omnibuses. Was the art not to your liking?

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I'm looking forward to receiving the Daredevil by Soule Omnibus which I pre-ordered and rereading the run in oversized format at some point. Although Waid's run is not one but of my favourites, I still found it very enjoyable and it's probably my most reread Daredevil run, in particular the NY issues. I ended up buying the floppies, the oversized hardcovers (which I need to sell) and eventually upgrading to the Omnibuses. Was the art not to your liking?
    How interesting. I’m surprised Waids run isn’t more liked than it apparently is.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/07/21/ex...-daredevil-35/

“LOCKDOWN” CONTINUES AS BULLSEYE REIGNS OVER NYC!

From the series that’s taken the comics world by storm for over two years, it’s the grudge match of the century: BULLSEYE VS. ELEKTRA!

DAREDEVIL #35

Writer: Chip Zdarsky
    Art and cover: Marco Checchetto
    Release Date: October, 2021

Awesome cover!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-21-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Incredible Member

What didn’t you like about Waids run?
    Was the art not to your liking?
    Oh, just the usual reasons (and yes, Raffi, the Samnee art was part of the problem). I'm sure you guys have heard the complaints about Waid's run before. It started out pretty good, setting a new tone that I and others were willing to try, but eventually devolved into irreverence and childishness, almost like a caricature of its original intent.

I don't think I'd have anything original to say that isn't in the MWOF threads and blog post below:

http://manwithoutfear.com/messageboa...pic.php?t=3348

http://manwithoutfear.com/messageboa...pic.php?t=3350

https://the-rageaholic.tumblr.com/po...ou-detest-mark

Oh, just the usual reasons (and yes, Raffi, the Samnee art was part of the problem). I'm sure you guys have heard the complaints about Waid's run before. It started out pretty good, setting a new tone that I and others were willing to try, but eventually devolved into irreverence and childishness, almost like a caricature of its original intent.

I don't think I'd have anything original to say that isn't in the MWOF threads and blog post below:

This is news to me. I like Waid’s run quite a lot save for some of the shenanigans in SF and I’m one who thinks the more noir take on the character is best and definitive. Plus the word of mouth is generally quite positive. I’m very surprised there are those who really didn’t enjoy it.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Incredible Member

This is news to me. I like Waid’s run quite a lot save for some of the shenanigans in SF and I’m one who thinks the more noir take on the character is best and definitive. Plus the word of mouth is generally quite positive. I’m very surprised there are those who really didn’t enjoy it.
    I mean, there are probably more people who like Waid's run than don't. But yeah, there are a decent amount of DD fans that dislike it intensely. To each their own, of course.

I mean, there are probably more people who like Waid's run than don't. But yeah, there are a decent amount of DD fans that dislike it intensely. To each their own, of course.
    Of course.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

How interesting. I’m surprised Waids run isn’t more liked than it apparently is.
    Waid's run was constantly mega hyped at the time, so one definitely had the feeling that it was liked by many.

Incredible Member

Waid's run was constantly mega hyped at the time, so one definitely had the feeling that it was liked by many.
    The mega hype may have been to try to boost sales though, since it had continued to fall during his run, continuing a long-term trend that didn't start with him. Marvel was like "Eisner! More of you should be reading this! Eisner!!!"

Yeah. I remember reading issue one and being surprised by the art. It took some getting used to. Just as I'd started to appreciate and got used to Paolo Rivera's art, along comes Chris Samnee (also after Marcos Martin)...... What can I say, he's a great storyteller, great cover artist and can draw some good action scenes BUT I hated how he drew Matt's pointy nose face and he just wasn't my favourite Daredevil artist. Not my style at all. I also did not like Matt's identity being out in the open. That kind of really started in Bendis' run anyway. Thank goodness for Soule putting it back in the box

I also disliked the San Francisco run. A definite marked decrease in quality with the exception of the Original Sin 2-parter arc which was pretty excellent (Javier Rodriguez on art duties). I'm probably one of not many that actually liked Kirsten, though.

Btw, those are some pretty strong comments on the MWIF threads.

Like I wrote earlier, I did enjoy reading the first Waid run, but Samnee's art irked me and the second run was areal drop in quality.

Like I wrote earlier, I did enjoy reading the first Waid run, but Samnee's art irked me and the second run was areal drop in quality.
    Wow. Samnee’s art is one of the reasons I rate that run highly not to mention how stellar Martin and especially Rivera was before him.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-22-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

All-New Member

I loved the vast majority of the Waid/Samnee run because it didn't try to mimic prior runs and just did its own thing. It was a nice chaser from the decades of (albeit INCREDIBLE) dark Daredevil. We always knew the title would revert back to a more dark tone, but they did something special IMO to sandwhich between it. There were dark elements there, but subtle and lying beneath the surface of a good, classic, swashbuckling adventure.

I don't think it's my absolute favorite run of the title, but it's a dang fine one. And a heck of a lot of fun.