Page 148 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2426

New York City makes all superheroes illegal in Marvel Comics' Devil's Reign #1 preview

https://www.gamesradar.com/devils-re...devil-kingpin/

After that preview I can’t say I’m all that excited anymore. Like much of what Zdarsky has done on Daredevil, as good as it has been, it’s stale. Nothing new. This story has been told already. I’m disappointed. Checchetto, however, continues to be stellar. Those pages are gorgeous! But I’ll still check out this event of course. At the very least I don’t expect it be any less that good from this team.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    New York City makes all superheroes illegal in Marvel Comics' Devil's Reign #1 preview

https://www.gamesradar.com/devils-re...devil-kingpin/

After that preview I can’t say I’m all that excited anymore. Like much of what Zdarsky has done on Daredevil, as good as it has been, it’s stale. Nothing new. This story has been told already. I’m disappointed. Checchetto, however, continues to be stellar. Those pages are gorgeous! But I’ll still check out this event of course. At the very least I don’t expect it be any less that good from this team.
    Last time Daredevil has his own event, everything went down to drain for Brubaker. I hope its isn't the same this time.
    Last edited by Vishop; 12-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Last time Daredevil has his own event, everything went down to drain for Brubaker. I hope its isn't the same this time.
    That was Diggle. But I don’t think Devil’s Reign will be bad as much as it may be banal because of how well worn and recent the idea of outlawing superheroes is. Like…that just happened TWICE with Civil War and Dark Reign. Absolutely ridiculous.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

BANNED

That was Diggle. But I don’t think Devil’s Reign will be bad as much as it may be banal because of how well worn and recent the idea of outlawing superheroes is. Like…that just happened TWICE with Civil War and Dark Reign. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Yeah Shadowland was all over the place. I don't know why they decided to do that. Brubaker's run was doing pretty great at that time. Don't know why they thought to turn Daredevil into some evil ninja lord lol
    Last edited by Vishop; 12-02-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

There have been rekindled feelings between Matt and Kristen for some time now and it grows the more time they spend together. It makes me wonder if he’ll eventually tell her he’s DD and if he does I wonder how she’ll take it.

That scene with Matt and Elektra is my favorite part of the issue!
    Yrah, Kirsten seems to be yearning for intimacy with Daredevil. She's either falling for him or the past is coming back to her.

Mighty Member

Chechetto is awesome. His Ben Reilly Spider-Man is sexy AF. That's the best I've seen that suit look yet.

I don’t recall exactly from where (maybe the FCBD issue) but I think their marriage is only meant to spark Devil’s Reign (which may explain why it’s so rushed) by ending tragically somehow. But I guess we’ll know for what happens next week.
    Fisk, for all his power, is spiraling out of control. He ran for mayor and won, he has all this legal power and influence. But every step he takes seems to push things further and further from his grasp. The Stromwyn's laugh at him, and exercise true power he can only cower from. Daredevil finally faces legal "justice" but it isn't because of Fisk or on his terms. He gives up his role as Kingpin because he claims he no longer needs it, that he's going legit. But that just means the underworld is now an animal outside of his cage. He can still influence it, still try to push it, but it no longer responds to his whims in the same way it once did.

And so he's desperately looking for things which he CAN control. His relationship with Mary feels rushed because it IS. She's insane and he's desperate. She makes him feel like there is one area of his life in which he is still THE MAN, still the Kingpin. She's familiar and responds to him in familiar ways. She's like a nostalgia rush for him. Like watching Stranger Things or a new Ghostbusters movie. A reminder of a time in your life that you miss and which you tell yourself was simpler and better.

This is reinforced by the inciting incident of Devil's Reign. Realizing he once knew who Daredevil was but has been robbed of that knowledge by something he is 100% sure DD is responsible for. And, of course, in an abstract way he's right. But it's just another way in which Fisk is realizing he is actually POWERLESS. That others can act on his life and even on his mind and there is nothing he can do about it. Imagine how utterly emasculating, how existentially terrifying that must be to a man like Wilson Fisk? Devil's Reign is his attempt to reinsert himself into the old mold, to exert his old form of control. To feel more like himself in the face of a universe that keeps changing around him.

People keep talking about how this story feels like it's been told before. That's deliberate in this instance. Fisk IS replaying this like it's one of his greatest hits. Reaching for that nostalgia high because the world around him is becoming too much to bear. Memberberries so he can feel young and strong and like he still holds NYC in his iron fist.

Just as Matt has had to come to grips with the fact that the old patterns and the old playbook no longer work, maybe never did, Fisk is going to get slapped in the face by the fact that this isn't the good old days and the old rules no longer truly suit the circumstance. The question is what he'll do once he comes to grips with it. Matt has tried to build himself into something new, something better. Perhaps Fish will do the same, and turn himself into something even more terrifying.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Chechetto is awesome. His Ben Reilly Spider-Man is sexy AF. That's the best I've seen that suit look yet.

Fisk, for all his power, is spiraling out of control. He ran for mayor and won, he has all this legal power and influence. But every step he takes seems to push things further and further from his grasp. The Stromwyn's laugh at him, and exercise true power he can only cower from. Daredevil finally faces legal "justice" but it isn't because of Fisk or on his terms. He gives up his role as Kingpin because he claims he no longer needs it, that he's going legit. But that just means the underworld is now an animal outside of his cage. He can still influence it, still try to push it, but it no longer responds to his whims in the same way it once did.

And so he's desperately looking for things which he CAN control. His relationship with Mary feels rushed because it IS. She's insane and he's desperate. She makes him feel like there is one area of his life in which he is still THE MAN, still the Kingpin. She's familiar and responds to him in familiar ways. She's like a nostalgia rush for him. Like watching Stranger Things or a new Ghostbusters movie. A reminder of a time in your life that you miss and which you tell yourself was simpler and better.

This is reinforced by the inciting incident of Devil's Reign. Realizing he once knew who Daredevil was but has been robbed of that knowledge by something he is 100% sure DD is responsible for. And, of course, in an abstract way he's right. But it's just another way in which Fisk is realizing he is actually POWERLESS. That others can act on his life and even on his mind and there is nothing he can do about it. Imagine how utterly emasculating, how existentially terrifying that must be to a man like Wilson Fisk? Devil's Reign is his attempt to reinsert himself into the old mold, to exert his old form of control. To feel more like himself in the face of a universe that keeps changing around him.

People keep talking about how this story feels like it's been told before. That's deliberate in this instance. Fisk IS replaying this like it's one of his greatest hits. Reaching for that nostalgia high because the world around him is becoming too much to bear. Memberberries so he can feel young and strong and like he still holds NYC in his iron fist.

Just as Matt has had to come to grips with the fact that the old patterns and the old playbook no longer work, maybe never did, Fisk is going to get slapped in the face by the fact that this isn't the good old days and the old rules no longer truly suit the circumstance. The question is what he'll do once he comes to grips with it. Matt has tried to build himself into something new, something better. Perhaps Fish will do the same, and turn himself into something even more terrifying.
    Wow, that all sounds like you hit the nail on the head. If I didn't think it was a crazy thought, I'd say you're in Chip's head

Extraordinary Member

Thoughts on the preview

1)Fisk is desperate, and this is a great idea but I feel Chip underdeveloped it.I think seeing the folder being empty a while back and seeing Fisk loosing his mind as to how someone pulled this off leading to this would have been far more powerful than seeing it last issue.We say him loose control before and it was a lovely tease, but still I think it should have been fleshed out.

2)Both DD and Fisk are reinventing themselves.Fisk will be more vicious than ever abusing the system to it's limit in contrast to a Matt who has lost faith in it.The timing of it is brilliant.

3)I wonder how Elektra plays into this , we know Fisk has a file on her and it's bad but what development is there for her.Does Devil's Reign convince Matt Elektra can be trsuted w/ her plan?

4)I'm going to feel Peter's absence in this, probably just me but Peter is THE guy at this level.Not to mention all the buildup w/ Kingpin that he had in this run and Spider-man and DD were fantastic in this run.Ben and Miles are welcome additions but it's like replacing tomato sauce on a pizza w/ ketchup.The connections Peter has to these characters and storylines are massive.

Still remember a panel of DD and Kingpin having a talk about how one day Peter will be just like them and that alone has so much power.God the Peter Matt stuff would hit hard here.

(I realize this is just me, I don't mean to imply this event will be a failure because of Peter's absence.Just ranting w/ some reason behind it)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Thoughts on the preview

1)Fisk is desperate, and this is a great idea but I feel Chip underdeveloped it.I think seeing the folder being empty a while back and seeing Fisk loosing his mind as to how someone pulled this off leading to this would have been far more powerful than seeing it last issue.We say him loose control before and it was a lovely tease, but still I think it should have been fleshed out.

2)Both DD and Fisk are reinventing themselves.Fisk will be more vicious than ever abusing the system to it's limit in contrast to a Matt who has lost faith in it.The timing of it is brilliant.

3)I wonder how Elektra plays into this , we know Fisk has a file on her and it's bad but what development is there for her.Does Devil's Reign convince Matt Elektra can be trsuted w/ her plan?

4)I'm going to feel Peter's absence in this, probably just me but Peter is THE guy at this level.Not to mention all the buildup w/ Kingpin that he had in this run and Spider-man and DD were fantastic in this run.Ben and Miles are welcome additions but it's like replacing tomato sauce on a pizza w/ ketchup.The connections Peter has to these characters and storylines are massive.

Still remember a panel of DD and Kingpin having a talk about how one day Peter will be just like them and that alone has so much power.God the Peter Matt stuff would hit hard here.

(I realize this is just me, I don't mean to imply this event will be a failure because of Peter's absence.Just ranting w/ some reason behind it)
    Do you remember where that conversation between DD and the Kingpin about Peter is from?
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member

Do you remember where that conversation between DD and the Kingpin about Peter is from?

I love when the 3 of them interact, it's peak street level comics for me.Even their 1610 interactions were amazing(although 1610 Matt was wasted potential)

Also love that Spider-man's threat here wasn't kept empty and Peter rally did brought it down on Fisk in a way Fisk has never experienced before

I love when the 3 of them interact, it's peak street level comics for me.Even their 1610 interactions were amazing(although 1610 Matt was wasted potential)

Also love that Spider-man's threat here wasn't kept empty and Peter rally did brought it down on Fisk in a way Fisk has never experienced before
    What issue is this?
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    what issue is this?
    asm 396 iirc

asm 396 iirc
    Thanks for posting those pics! And the issue is ASM 288. I googled the next issue “The Hobgoblin Revealed” so the prior issue would be those pages you posted, obviously. ASM 396 is actually another DD Spidey team up.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 12-03-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Thanks for posting those pics! And the issue is ASM 288. I googled the next issue “The Hobgoblin Revealed” so the prior issue would be those pages you posted, obviously. ASM 396 is actually another DD Spidey team up.
    Speaking of ASM #396... Not sure what you thought about the armor, but that's some really sweet Bagley art (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Speaking of ASM #396... Not sure what you thought about the armor, but that's some really sweet Bagley art (IMHO):
    I’m not too much of a fan of the armor costume or Bagley’s art.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 12-04-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair