Page 10 of 162 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I think the idea was that Matt was already going crazy and that was the "straw that broke the camel's back". I think about the panels earlier in the issue with the Kingpin describing Matt losing it and just trashing about with no caution or strategy desperate for any information. For example, when Matt was at the bar as Daredevil looking for information no one had anything of value. The idea is that the Kingpin was so calculated about everything and hit Matt from every single angle imaginable. What is brilliant about the story is that over the course of the issues as Matt starts to rise from the ashes the Kingpin begins to become more and more unhinged.

As for Matt operating as if he isn't blind, I am not sure if it is ever specifically addressed (and if it has been someone please share); however, my theory, is that Miller wanted to breakdown Matt to the core of who he is and throw out everything that didn't work. You mention him going back to being a lawyer, I do know for a fact that Miller did not like the lawyer/vigilante concept, hence why he had him disbarred in Born Again. I am not sure if Matt not acting as if he is blind was part of that as well. The biggest irony of Born Again is that I think Miller's intention was to do a complete restart of the character (or provide a fitting ending to the character) where other writers could do new things and instead many writers have chosen to do their own version of Born Again in many instances.

Not sure if that answers all of your questions; however, I am definitely someone that believes BA is the greatest story in comics.
    To me, once he found out Kingpin was responsible for all that was happening to him that should have made everything clear. All these things happening to him is no longer a mystery. The cause for paranoia has ended. Yet he begins to think even Foggy is apart of it? I don’t buy that, especially since the man is a human lie detector and can know who to trust. He could have done a lot more that remove himself from everyone and find himself in worsening squalor. Just doesn’t make much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    To me, once he found out Kingpin was responsible for all that was happening to him that should have made everything clear. All these things happening to him is no longer a mystery. The cause for paranoia has ended. Yet he begins to think even Foggy is apart of it? I don’t buy that, especially since the man is a human lie detector and can know who to trust. He could have done a lot more that remove himself from everyone and find himself in worsening squalor. Just doesn’t make much sense to me.
    I would suggest that it was not just paranoia, that he also fell into a depression created by the stress of everything that manifested itself into paranoia. The first couple of panels, I actually think rather well, show someone dealing with depression both in the writing and the art. He talks about how he knows the Kingpin was behind everything and that he needs to figure out a plan. He can can just walk through that door and beat him up, BUT he's tired and wants to sleep. He then tries to get up to leave, even gets dressed and falls back asleep. I've known people that have struggled with depression and that is certainly representative of how it can show up for people. And this is not something one can simply snap out of. Add to that the lack of sleep and stress that Matt has been experiencing (also the idea that Matt is a little unhinged to begin with) and it all adds up to someone that is going crazy and behaving irrationally. I think of the Joker's line from The Dark Knight applies very well here, “As you know, madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.”

I would suggest that it was not just paranoia, that he also fell into a depression created by the stress of everything that manifested itself into paranoia. The first couple of panels, I actually think rather well, show someone dealing with depression both in the writing and the art. He talks about how he knows the Kingpin was behind everything and that he needs to figure out a plan. He can can just walk through that door and beat him up, BUT he's tired and wants to sleep. He then tries to get up to leave, even gets dressed and falls back asleep. I've known people that have struggled with depression and that is certainly representative of how it can show up for people. And this is not something one can simply snap out of. Add to that the lack of sleep and stress that Matt has been experiencing (also the idea that Matt is a little unhinged to begin with) and it all adds up to someone that is going crazy and behaving irrationally. I think of the Joker's line from The Dark Knight applies very well here, “As you know, madness is like gravity...all it takes is a little push.”
    Fair enough.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Yes, well put.. I have friends that have problems with depression and that is quite reminiscent of what they've gone through.

I generally appreciate your in-depth comments.

Happy 57th Birthday to DAREDEVIL. Daredevil #1 was released February 4, 1964, by Lee, Everett, Kirby, Ditko, Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Yes, well put.. I have friends that have problems with depression and that is quite reminiscent of what they've gone through.

Yep. Same here.

Happy 57th Birthday to DAREDEVIL. Daredevil #1 was released February 4, 1964, by Lee, Everett, Kirby, Ditko, Rosen.

Think Zdarsky will still be on for the 60th anniversary? That’s be a nice way to wrap up his run.

Incredible Member

That's odd, I always thought DD 1 was released in april. Huh.

Yep. Same here.
    Thanks, I truly appreciate the feedback and discussion!

Think Zdarsky will still be on for the 60th anniversary? That’s be a nice way to wrap up his run.
    I could certainly see that being a good place to end the run. That would put his run around 60ish issues total which is a solid run. The other thing I was thinking is that he may want to try to go to issue #700, which would be another 62 issues I believe. Seems like he is loving writing Daredevil, it's been well received and sales are solid so it could be doable. Plus, 700 issues for a book is a rarity so I can imagine he would want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
    That's odd, I always thought DD 1 was released in april. Huh.
    April was the "publish" date but it was released in February. If you look at dates on comics, they have a date in advance of the actual release.

Thanks, I truly appreciate the feedback and discussion!

I could certainly see that being a good place to end the run. That would put his run around 60ish issues total which is a solid run. The other thing I was thinking is that he may want to try to go to issue #700, which would be another 62 issues I believe. Seems like he is loving writing Daredevil, it's been well received and sales are solid so it could be doable. Plus, 700 issues for a book is a rarity so I can imagine he would want to do it.
    Yes. That’d work really well, too, if he decides he still has stories to tell up to that point.

But I do hope he can do something wholly his own and not yet another version what’s come before. This run has been stellar but far from the most original ideas.

Incredible Member

April was the "publish" date but it was released in February. If you look at dates on comics, they have a date in advance of the actual release.
    I did not know that.

DAREDEVIL #25 3rd Printing variant by Peach Momoko:

Preview for next weeks issue. Just waiting for KiB stuff to be over with.

https://www.superherohype.com/comics...w-daredevil-27