Page 111 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 2426

Impressive.

Amazing Member

Are you guys enjoying Zdarsky's run so far more than Soule's or do you think Soule's run is better?

Wow now that is awesome.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by The Urge View Post
    Are you guys enjoying Zdarsky's run so far more than Soule's or do you think Soule's run is better?
    Overall, at this time, I’d say I enjoyed Soule’s run more.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-06-2021 at 03:38 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

If Daredevil actually becomes part of a Marvel Studios project in the future, would you mind him being quippy and ditching his secret identity? I personally would like it if Matt just leaves the dark, moody and brooding **** behind (I didn't watch the Netflix series because it sounded too grim dark for my tastes). Jokes and humor are what make the MCU great. "Complex and mature" material should be supplanted by family-friendly and feel-good content!
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-05-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Zdarsky's run all the way for me. There were bright spots in Soule's run like the Elektra arc, the reveal as to how his secret id was made private again, and everything from the Mayor Fisk run on, but it was never consistent enough for me to actually recommend to someone as a whole. I didn't think much of Ten Fingers or whatever his name was, the Inhuman serial killer, and the fact that Blindspot just refused to go away for the longest time made me lose interest fast.

Zdarsky's, OTOH, has pretty much everything I've ever loved about DD in a single run so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    If Daredevil actually becomes part of a Marvel Studios project in the future, would you mind him being quippy and ditching his secret identity? I personally would like it if Matt just leaves the dark, moody and brooding **** behind (I didn't watch the Netflix series because it sounded too grim dark for my tastes). Jokes and humor are what make the MCU great. "Complex and mature" material should be supplanted by family-friend and feel-good content!
    I think there's room for all kinds of content and tones in the MCU, personally. The fact that the Netflix shows were so tonally different was what I liked about it. It showed a different side to the shared universe that I very much enjoyed. I mean, D'onofrio's performance as The Kingpin alone is worth bringing in.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-05-2021 at 11:25 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

If Daredevil actually becomes part of a Marvel Studios project in the future, would you mind him being quippy and ditching his secret identity? I personally would like it if Matt just leaves the dark, moody and brooding **** behind (I didn't watch the Netflix series because it sounded too grim dark for my tastes). Jokes and humor are what make the MCU great. "Complex and mature" material should be supplanted by family-friend and feel-good content!
    A lighter tone can and has been done to great acclaim (Mark Waid’s run) but if taken to the extent you describe there you lose a lot of what distinguishes Daredevil from someone like Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-05-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Zdarsky's run all the way for me. There were bright spots in Soule's run like the Elektra arc, the reveal as to how his secret id was made private again, and everything from the Mayor Fisk run on, but it was never consistent enough for me to actually recommend to someone as a whole. I didn't think much of Ten Fingers or whatever his name was, the Inhuman serial killer, and the fact that Blindspot just refused to go away for the longest time made me lose interest fast.

Zdarsky's, OTOH, has pretty much everything I've ever loved about DD in a single run so far.

I think there's room for all kinds of content and tones in the MCU, personally. The fact that the Netflix shows were so tonally different was what I liked about it. It showed a different side to the shared universe that I very much enjoyed. I mean, D'onofrio's performance as The Kingpin alone is worth bringing in.
    Noooooooooooo.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Noooooooooooo.
    Many a fan/critic seem to disagree with you. But like I said about tones in the MCU, there is room for all sorts of opinions on these message boards (even unpopular ones ).
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Many a fan/critic seem to disagree with you. But like I said about tones in the MCU, there is room for all sorts of opinions on these message boards (even unpopular ones ).
    As ever, you and anyone else can like that character as much you want, sure. But that character is not The Kingpin.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-05-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

I remember Vincent D'Onofrio from Law & Order: Criminal Intent. A salon and spa owner I know HATED what she called his hammy performance on that show, but I thought it was fine. Haven't seen him in anything since. I think the Netflix shows were focused more on street-level characters and stories from what I understand? So naturally they're gonna be a bit darker and more "adult" in tone. I personally don't like that kinda thing. NEVER have. That's why I strongly prefer the MCU over the other non-MCU Marvel and DC stuff. I think if Marvel Studios uses Daredevil, his court cases will be more like Ally McBeal/My Cousin Vinny as opposed to Law & Order:SVU/A Few Good Men. I just don't see Disney tackling subjects like domestic violence, substance abuse and mental illness in their shows/movies in any meaningful kind of ways. Doesn't fit with the tone of the company. I once saw Daredevil (2003) on television once, and I just couldn't finish it (I couldn't finish watching the Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four movies on television either). I didn't finish them for the same reasons: They were far too dark and campy. Disney's/Marvel's formula for their productions has been remarkably and consistently successful. And humor plays a HUGE part in that. To be honest, once Ghost Rider, Namor and the Silver Surfer join the MCU, I wouldn't be surprised at ALL to see them cracking jokes too. Indeed, I would welcome that. So I'm not singling out any particular characters here. To ME, ALL Daredevil has to do is set an example to folks who are blind and show that they can accomplish great things in life despite their disability. I think Marvel Studios understands this as well. I suppose you can say that Daredevil becomes Spider-Man if he dispenses with his secret identity and starts quipping like Doctor Strange and Iron Man. But I think his blindness will make him stand out. And I like the idea of superheroes knowing each others' secret identities and calling each other by their given names and surnames. That means they can support and help one another in difficult and challenging times. That's why the Avengers were so great in the movies. I don't wanna see Matt dealing with painful issues by himself on screen. I'm confident Feige's team will give Daredevil a great portrayal in their movies/shows. But I don't see an R-rated version of this character in MCU live-action productions. I think Deadpool will be the last R-rated character in the MCU. I support Murdock being a PG-13 hero. And I strongly believe children should be able to watch and enjoy the MCU just as much as the adults do.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Voodoo Lou View Post
    Nice Daredevil collection! I have all my TPBs and hardcovers on a separate shelf, but I did take this photo last night:

Also, I wrote a 55-page law review article about the portrayal of lawyers (mostly Matt) and the legal system in Daredevil comics by Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, David Hine, Mark Waid, and Charles Soule, and it helped me earn tenure at the school where I work. If anyone is interested, the link to download the article for free is in my signature below, and also here:
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3389544
    Impressive collection. Will check out your article at some point.

I'm definitely in the Soule camp although Zdarsky's is pretty good.

If Daredevil actually becomes part of a Marvel Studios project in the future, would you mind him being quippy and ditching his secret identity? I personally would like it if Matt just leaves the dark, moody and brooding **** behind (I didn't watch the Netflix series because it sounded too grim dark for my tastes). Jokes and humor are what make the MCU great. "Complex and mature" material should be supplanted by family-friendly and feel-good content!
    I would much rather he keep his secret identity.

I personally think Feige and his team of producers are going to do away with secret identities for characters that traditionally had them in the comic books. I don't know much about Ms. Marvel, but I understand she has a secret identity in the comics. I remember Moon Knight and Ghost Rider having them back in the day. I used to really enjoy the secret identity trope, but after I saw Iron Man I kind of moved on. I don't like the bullshitting, lying and gaslighting that maintaining a secret identity requires. You don't make people that you trust and love doubt their "senses, memory and/or sanity". That totally goes against what Daredevil stands for. And after a while the whole thing becomes stale and contrived. Plus, even though I didn't watch the 2003 Daredevil movie in its entirety, I definitely remember thinking that Foggy knew about Matt's superpowers. So even the movies had trouble maintaining this fiction. Anyhow, the following article describes how I feel about this particular issue:

https://www.polygon.com/comics/2020/...ecret-identity

IF DD joins Marvel Studios' corner of the MCU, I want his identity to be revealed to the world. Same thing with Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight. Heroes should spend time on screen working together, not figuring out ways to hide who they really are to the people they care about. Having heroes know and talk to each other is a great way of delivering exposition as opposed to using voice-over monologues. And yes, I think Daredevil should be funny when interacting with other people in the MCU.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 10-06-2021 at 12:03 PM.