Page 117 of 162 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121127 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 2426

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm actually a little bit surprised that so many participants on this thread actually WANT Murdock to be funny and charming.
    I see him as a man who is generally serious, but not humorless. IE the sort of person who occasionally makes jokes, and tries to be generally pleasant to be around. He's the sort who carefully chooses when to make jokes. But does make them on occasion. Also his taste in jokes isn't random inanity, it's pointed (but humorous) jabs and jibes.
    Noted comic book writer/artist Brian Michael Bendis made some valid (in my view) complaints about the hubris of the conceit (regarding secret identities), and I think I like it more when the heroes (and even the villains) are more truthful about who they are:

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/bri...et-identities/
    Yeah, for some characters it makes sense, and for some it's ridiculous. Like the Batman example, he needs conspirators to create the illusion that Bruce Wayne has a daily life. Spider-Man has in some iterations the idea of Pete going around the city looking for things to take photos of, and he doesn't have a large social commitment outside that.

DEVIL’S REIGN: VILLAINS FOR HIRE

https://twitter.com/claymcleod/statu...028197901?s=21
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-09-2021 at 04:41 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I'm hoping she resigns the Daredevil mantle (when oh when will Betsy Braddock resign the CB mantle???sigh) or it could be just be art for art's sake i.e. not related to the interior.
    Someone posed a similar query about Elektra on the cover and it was suggested that it takes place in the past.

https://twitter.com/pewiyett/status/...835464195?s=21
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-09-2021 at 05:51 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    I'm actually a little bit surprised that so many participants on this thread actually WANT Murdock to be funny and charming. From what I've read elsewhere, they would like him to act like the DCEU's Batman. I think that would be a HUGE mistake. We've seen the "darker" Matt in the 2003 movie, I think a new take is in order. People complain how the MCU's movies are "too funny", but I don't get that argument at all. Superhero stories are like as Stan Lee put it: Fairy tales for grown-ups. They are MEANT to be ridiculous, and I'm glad Feige and his team have embraced the sheer silliness of the genre (while making it extremely palatable for audiences all across the globe). That's a remarkable feat. I also caught up on a lot of superhero content during the pandemic. I had dropped out of it after watching the SONY Amazing Spider-Man movies. But now I'm fully up to speed and having a great time (thanks to using the time I had gained while under lockdown to watch DC and Marvel productions. They've improved a LOT since 2014). I was sort of unhappy that Marvel Studios even consented to making Deadpool 3 into an R-rated movie, but I feel they will tone things down. The Spider-Man cartoon from the 90s was indeed great. I liked how they portrayed Blade, Venom, Morbius and Carnage too. I just think SONY's Venom and Carnage are pretty violent characters that might not fit well with the tone of the MCU. Probably Morbius will be too. I think Punisher might be excluded from future MCU projects solely for one reason: Politics! I don't wanna get into it here, but I imagine folks on this thread know what I'm talking about. So we largely agree on having a PG-13 DD in Disney's Marvel Universe.

As I said previously, I don't think secret identities work in Feige's MCU. He's made it ABUNDANTLY clear that he dislikes the trope. And obviously he believes getting rid of it made Iron Man WILDLY popular and played a key role in the success of the MCU. I happen to agree with that position. Plus, it saves us from the WAY overdone trope of heroes agonizing over how to tell their girlfriends who they really are. As lousy as that Green Lantern movie was (and it definitely was that), I loved that scene with Hal's pathetic attempt to maintain his secret identity:
    I do like Matt as charming and funny. He has a very dry sense of humor but Daredevil can be a funny book at times. My go to baseline for the character is Frank Miller's run and that actually has way more humor than people give it credit for.

But I do think his secret identity is a must. The characters without secret identities in the MCU tend to not have dual roles. They are professional superheroes. Matt Murdock's profession is lawyer and his vigilante career makes his job as a lawyer much more difficult. I thought the Netflix show did a good job balancing things, although I thought he got taken away from his career a little too much.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    So does Elektra resume her own identity during Devils Reign?

https://twitter.com/gerryduggan/stat...564658690?s=21

I love how Phil Noto completely ignores the Elektra design that the DD comics have bee portraying before she took on the DD mantle. I find him to be one of the most overrated artists because of it. Even if it’s set in the past, I find his work to be “let me draw whatever’s easiest”.
    I'm hoping she resigns the Daredevil mantle (when oh when will Betsy Braddock resign the CB mantle???sigh) or it could be just be art for art's sake i.e. not related to the interior.
    I hope she keeps it for a little while longer. I still don’t know if this Devils Reign is the Hand storyline that was teased by Stick and Elektra in that one issue or if that’s coming… later?

Probably no better example of Matt's humor than this:

If or when the MCU reboots Daredevil in the MCU for real, I imagine those who only know the character from the tv show would balk at any humor Matt displays even though it would actually be true to his comic roots to do so.

I think the trick is to have humor stem from the character. Its funny when a boyscout like Cap drops the F-bomb. Spider-Man's humor is how he deals with insurmountable situations. Iron Man's humor has a nervous insecurity, sarcasm to it. Matt's humor should be wry and sarcastic and how he copes with the tough spots he gets put in.

Moon Knight would be a good indicator of how the MCU might handle DD.

I'm wary of DD reentering the MCU because it meant alot to me more than most of the MCU. I'm wary of loosing what I liked but I'll just see what happens.

I felt Matt had a sense of humor and was emotionally available in the Netflix show. He wouldn't have his friends if he wasn't. I always saw DD as humorless because Matt wasn't looking to have DD liked. I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-09-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Daredevil: The 8 Most Iconic Comic Book Panels

https://screenrant.com/daredevil-bes...ok-panels/amp/
    #6 is my favorite there.
    I know, right?! There's been so many, that it'd be difficult to pick just eight. But still, it's a nice list.
    If anymore could possibly be added, a personal choice would be...

DD VS. Ultron
    (Daredevil, Vol. 1 #276)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-09-2021 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminbee View Post
    I love how Phil Noto completely ignores the Elektra design that the DD comics have bee portraying before she took on the DD mantle. I find him to be one of the most overrated artists because of it. Even if it’s set in the past, I find his work to be “let me draw whatever’s easiest”.

I hope she keeps it for a little while longer. I still don’t know if this Devils Reign is the Hand storyline that was teased by Stick and Elektra in that one issue or if that’s coming… later?
    I think the Hand story your referring to is coming later. Zdarsky has said he has up at least issue 50 planned for DD and may stay on beyond that so I think the Hand story may be how he concludes his run.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

- George Orwell

- Voltair

- George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

For DD completists, Daredevil has the 1998 one-page story in Marvel Comics #1000 to commemorate the launch of the Marvel Knights imprint (each year has a one-page story). The story is called "The Devil's Brand" by Quesada, Nowlan and Isanove. Daredevil features on 3 Variant covers.

Daredevil also has a one-page story in Marvel Comics #1001 - "The Devil and the Darkness" by Declan Shalvey and features on at least two Variant covers.

Those stories by Quesada, Declan, et al are excellent!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 10-11-2021 at 01:42 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Another tie-in to DEVIL'S REIGN:
    DEVIL’S REIGN: WINTER SOLDIER - a 30 page nightmare of haunting shadows and dark secrets.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclus...mpression=true