Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DAREDEVIL #25 - the current issue out at the moment.

Doing Time: Part 1 - Written by Chip Zdarsky. Art and Cover by Marco Checchetto.
    'DOING TIME' Starts Here! After a landmark year that put Daredevil through the wringer, this December, CHIP ZDARSKY and MARCO CHECCHETTO are dropping the Man Without Fear into familiar territory: behind bars. But there are no conspiracies against Daredevil to be found here - just the truth that his actions led to a man's death. Faced with the reality and consequences of his actions, will Daredevil have the stomach to serve his term? Worse still, facing down a prison's worth of criminals he helped put away, will he survive it?
    28 pages, full color. Rated T+ Cover price $3.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Daredevil Yellow should be adapted into an animated mini-series. DD needs an ongoing animated series as well.
    Agree! From tumblr:

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Happy New Year! Really starting to get into Daredevil, only began getting into him towards the end of last year. Decided to ring in the new year by reading Daredevil Yellow and I’m glad I did.

This was probably my second favorite Loeb work after The Long Halloween. I was nervous reading it initially because the ad for it touted it as “revisiting Daredevil’s origin” and I was pretty thoroughly done with that after reading the first 11 Silver Age DD issues, Miller’s run, and Guardian Devil. But aside from the first issue (and even then it’s pretty brief, this isn’t really an “origin story” for Matt so much as “early career” Matt. This story basically retells the first 11 DD issues except for modern audiences. That was absolutely perfect for me as someone who didn’t really enjoy the hokeyness of the Stan Lee Silver Age DD stuff, Loeb was a great fit for me.

Loeb does a fantastic job of bridging the gap between the pre and post Miller DD’s, and also helps to make Karen’s death in Guardian Devil retroactively hit a lot harder. I loved that Loeb retconned it so that Karen was the one who suggested Matt change from his yellow and red to his iconic full red costume.

Speaking of that costume:

Damn does it look cool here. Sale draws the hell out of it, and out of the whole book really. The two of them are (no surprise) a wonderful creative team on Daredevil. Definitely one of my favorite Marvel stories.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

As I said before I prefer this to the MWOF because, as you pointed out, Loeb does a nice job of updating the early issues in a way that works. I also much prefer how Jack Murdock is portrayed in DD: Yellow vs. MWOF.

Agree about Loeb really making Karen's death hit a lot harder. The line in the book that always sticks with me is when, after Matt saves her from the Purple Man, she says "Are you always going to be there to save me?". That hit REALLY hard especially as I read this right after Guardian Devil. I too like the retcon with Karen suggesting the red costume.

Agree with Sale's art as well. That is a tough costume to make look good, yet he does a great job with it! The art overall is perfect for the throwback, nostalgic feel of the book.

I assume you are on to Bendis next?
    Last edited by macjr33; 01-01-2021 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen DD do w. his Billy Cub...:

Pretty cool, indeed. I also like Miller's version:

Also, check out Matt catching an arrow in midair after it was shot at him...

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it!

As I said before I prefer this to the MWOF because, as you pointed out, Loeb does a nice job of updating the early issues in a way that works. I also much prefer how Jack Murdock is portrayed in DD: Yellow vs. MWOF.

Agree about Loeb really making Karen's death hit a lot harder. The line in the book that always sticks with me is when, after Matt saves her from the Purple Man, she says "Are you always going to be there to save me?". That hit REALLY hard especially as I read this right after Guardian Devil. I too like the retcon with Karen suggesting the red costume.

Agree with Sale's art as well. That is a tough costume to make look good, yet he does a great job with it! The art overall is perfect for the throwback, nostalgic feel of the book.

I assume you are on to Bendis next?
    Yep finally moving on to the Bendis run. Looking forward to diving in.

Has Murdock done a stint teaching law anywhere? I'd like to see that play out as a storyline, though I'm sure it wouldn't last. Take some cues from How to Get Away with Murder but have Matt unofficially teaching some folks how to help people "just outside of" the letter of the law..
    Maybe some student(s) think he has a connection to Daredevil and tries to find out the truth...

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't believe so. The closest you get is Larry Cranston used to teach.

Personally, he hasn't been a defense attorney in a long time so I'd like to see that again first, but I think it would be a fun dynamic to go that route.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Just reread the one issue in Bendis’ run where the cops are simply just in a room connecting the dots and figuring out Matt is Daredevil. Great stuff, really believable and actually really well written by Bendis.

If Daredevil gets a Disney+ series, I'd prefer it taking cues from the Mark Waid run.

Some great news - a Daredevil by Charles Soule Omnibus has been announced. This has made my day! I just hope they include everything Charles Soule wrote on Daredevil including the mini-series Daredevil/Punisher: Seventh Circle and the Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost which was basically a Daredevil vehicle in which he recruits a team to hunt down Logan

Incredible Member

Yeah that's great news for DD fans. I don't own that run yet and it seems like this book is gonna be huge, so I will most likely get the TPBs. Even if it might end up costing me more.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Some great news - a Daredevil by Charles Soule Omnibus has been announced. This has made my day! I just hope they include everything Charles Soule wrote on Daredevil including the mini-series Daredevil/Punisher: Seventh Circle and the Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost which was basically a Daredevil vehicle in which he recruits a team to hunt down Logan
    I don't doubt it. Both of them indirectly tie into the main Daredevil run in some way or another.

I think I only read the first few issues of Soules. How is it?

Do the Bendis Omnibus’ include his “End of Days?”

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I think I only read the first few issues of Soules. How is it?
    Great. One of my favourite DD runs. The first 4-5 issues start off slow but then it just explodes (IMHO) and keeps going. There is a dip or two but the quality stays pretty high, although I personally did find the final arc slightly disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Do the Bendis Omnibus’ include his “End of Days?”
    No, they don't and that's fine as it's a separate story and alternate universe/what if? I have End of Days in OHC but I'm not a fan.