Page 52 of 162 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    This is a very good overall assessment. if not just focusing on the dark aspect, I'd probably also recommend Smith mainly for the importance of a certain event in that run and for it being the start of Vol. 2.
    Yeah, I think Kevin Smith's story is highly flawed but unavoidable as one of the most important Daredevil stories of all time.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Amazon has this cover image for the GOING OUT WEST Daredevil Epic Collection coming next year:

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

My choice was either going to be that one or the one with Widow cowering in fear. This makes the most sense because the Golden Gate Bridge is in the background.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I really miss when Daredevil shipped multiple times a month.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-13-2021 at 04:16 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

- George Orwell

- Voltair

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Season 3 was as close to actually portraying an accurate Kingpin the show has ever gotten and the show has never really gotten close. They essentially created their own character they happened to name Wilson Fisk for the first two seasons.
    Can you expand on that? I thought even Seasons 1 and 2, they got the core characteristics right -- intelligent, careful, loves Vanessa, physical powerhouse. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    Can you expand on that? I thought even Seasons 1 and 2, they got the core characteristics right -- intelligent, careful, loves Vanessa, physical powerhouse. Thanks.
    He was extremely childish in his demeanor, impetuous, and constantly appeared to be on the verge of crying. Not to mention his puerile outbursts in particular in the final episode of season one when he confronts Daredevil in person after escape the transport. It was embarrassing. The Kingpin is calm, reserved, collected, calculating, and dangerously intelligent. His presence alone should invoke fear and intimidation. The Kingpin in the show was none of that.

This guy right here was never in the show.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-14-2021 at 09:16 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

This is a cover by Taurin Clarke from the upcoming Luke Cage mini-series in which Daredevil is to make an appearance.

Extraordinary Member

Unforgivable.
    What exactly?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

That's a shame you didn't like it. I thought it was very good with some excellent moments and it happens to be one of my favourite Daredevil runs. I do dislike the last arc which ended the series and found that inconsequential and very rushed. From what I remember, Soule mentioned that he had one more story to tell. IMHO, Soule did a great job overall and was very creative.
    Eh. Only two arcs of that run really stuck out to me. The first is when it was revealed that Matt really secretly hired Bullseye to kill himself and not for that serum. And the second is how they put Matt's secret id back in the bottle. Given my overall ambivalence to Soule's run, I gotta say, that was a stroke of genius.

Yes, sacrilege
    Well, yeah. That's the same way I feel about clearly wrong headed opinions about Netflix's DD series. I'm glad you and I agree on that.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 07-14-2021 at 11:19 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of Soule’s run, my appreciation for it has only grown considering how laughably derivative the current run has become.
    Not every run has to recreate the wheel. At least it's more entertaining than Soule's. For example, when Bendis won an award for his run on DD, he was presented it by none other than Frank Miller, himself, who maybe not so jokingly said to him "You know this belongs to me, right?"

If I'm remembering correctly, admitted he didn't have any sort of witty retort for that one.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 07-14-2021 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Not every run has to recreate the wheel. At least it's more entertaining than Soule's. For example, when Bendis won an award for his run on DD, he was presented it by none other than Frank Miller, himself, who maybe not so jokingly said to him "You know this belongs to me, right?"

If I'm remembering correctly, admitted he didn't have any sort of witty retort for that one.
    How about Zdarsky tell his own stories instead of constantly recycling those from previous creators? Wouldn’t that be awesome? His execution is on point. It’s a shame he refuses to do his own thing.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-14-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Eh. Only two arcs of that run really stuck out to me. The first is when it was revealed that Matt really secretly hired Bullseye to kill himself and not for that serum. And the second is how they put Matt's secret id back in the bottle. Given my overall ambivalence to Soule's run, I gotta say, that was a stroke of genius.

Well, yeah. That's the same way I feel about clearly wrong headed opinions about Netflix's DD series. I'm glad you and I agree on that.
    The arc where Soule reveals how Matt got his secret ID back is one of his best for sure.

Haha You can like the show all you want. Doesn’t make it any less of a disappointing translated from page to screen. All the more so when everything leading up was so promising.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-14-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Incredible Member

He was extremely childish in his demeanor, impetuous, and constantly appeared to be on the verge of crying. Not to mention his puerile outbursts in particular in the final episode of season one when he confronts Daredevil in person after escape the transport. It was embarrassing. The Kingpin is calm, reserved, collected, calculating, and dangerously intelligent. His presence alone should invoke fear and intimidation. The Kingpin in the show was none of that.
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply, and I definitely get what you're saying. Still, I think D'Onofrio did pull off showing Fisk's intimidating presence for three seasons, with sometimes the impetuous outbursts adding to it, like when he car-doored the Russian in S1. But I get what you're saying. Not all of the outbursts worked; you're right about the final confrontation of S1. It did feel a bit off.