Page 56 of 162 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066106156 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Why not? It could be an interesting team-up. Sharon Ginsberg is wholly different to Matt but the lawyer connection could work.
    Yeah the idea was looking at dichotomy. Sharon is a mutant who made a habit of pretending she wasn't. Most of her legal career was working for clients who didn't even know she had powers at all. That's a different perspective on the whole super-hero lawyer scenario than Matt. Matt has an identity as a superhero. Sharon just hides her powers, seemingly going so far in avoiding using her powers that she doesn't actually know the full extent of her powers until after she nearly gets killed by Bad Guy.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah the idea was looking at dichotomy. Sharon is a mutant who made a habit of pretending she wasn't. Most of her legal career was working for clients who didn't even know she had powers at all. That's a different perspective on the whole super-hero lawyer scenario than Matt. Matt has an identity as a superhero. Sharon just hides her powers, seemingly going so far in avoiding using her powers that she doesn't actually know the full extent of her powers until after she nearly gets killed by Bad Guy.
    Definitely could be very interesting to see them "together". Have you read Soule's She-Hulk run? Very good. Yet another superhero lawyer but also different in that Jennifer doesn't hide behind a secret identity. In addition, Matt Murdock appears in several issues.

Definitely could be very interesting to see them "together". Have you read Soule's She-Hulk run? Very good. Yet another superhero lawyer but also different in that Jennifer doesn't hide behind a secret identity. In addition, Matt Murdock appears in several issues.
    yeah that's something I thought about: Murdock and Walters working in the same case made for interesting stories, what about other Marvel comics lawyers too? Then I noticed that this was Sharon's actual JOB in the comics.

Incredible Member

Am I the only one that this run is starting to lose a little bit. Started off so great and is still good but I feel it has died down. What happened to the wife of the Libras mobster Matt was sleeping with? What about the Billionaire siblings Kingpin was in a power struggle with that Matt wanted to take down? I love Elektra and like the idea of her taking a bigger role in the series but it feels like the overall story is just spinning wheels at this point. So far I absolutely hate the idea of Mike Murdock and must admit, his storyline is really dragging down the my overall enjoyment of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Am I the only one that this run is starting to lose a little bit. Started off so great and is still good but I feel it has died down. What happened to the wife of the Libras mobster Matt was sleeping with? What about the Billionaire siblings Kingpin was in a power struggle with that Matt wanted to take down? I love Elektra and like the idea of her taking a bigger role in the series but it feels like the overall story is just spinning wheels at this point. So far I absolutely hate the idea of Mike Murdock and must admit, his storyline is really dragging down the my overall enjoyment of the run.
    No, you're not the only one. We talked about it several pages back and earlier still. I want Mike Murdock disappeared for good. I don't mind Elektra in the run but I feel it just seems to be Marvel's regular agenda to have female versions of the main male heroes instead of promoting the already established female heroes or creating new ones. It does seem that Zdarsky has lost interest or maybe he's got a long-term plan and an endgame? We shall see.

Daredevil commission by Esad Ribic:

Incredible Member

Everything's been derailed to make way for female Daredevil.

Which, okay, whatever. But the insult on top is the Elektra Daredevil story so far has been borrrriiiiiing.

You’re not the only one, no, and I’ve raised many of the same questions and concerns. Like Cole, Mike, and Kristen who were absent for quite some time before returning to the page recently, Mindy at the very least may well appear again before he run is over or sooner since she is Izzy’s daughter in-law and Izzy now playing a more active role than previously. And I too have felt of late that the story hasn’t really been going anywhere but that may soon change.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-21-2021 at 03:43 AM.
    'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
    - George Orwell

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”
    - Voltair

Quote Originally Posted by hairys View Post
    I think it depends on the writer and where they are in their career arc. There are certain superstar writers who don't even write for the Big 2 anymore (or write comics in some cases); if this were the 60s, 70s, or 80s, guys like Brubaker and BKV would still be writing for DC and Marvel, and DC and Marvel products would therefore be better. Don't get me wrong. I love that Image and other creator-owned publishers exist; it's overall better for the industry, but yeah, it's probably been bad for the Big 2. (Not that this is the only reason that the writing sucks at the Big 2. The are many multi-faceted issues in play.)

Now, if we're talking about a young, relatively unknown and new writer who just recently got his first Big 2 job -- someone like Jeremy Adams on The Flash, that guy is definitely not holding anything back. He wants to produce great work (to the best of his abilities) so he can make a name for himself so he can one day sell creator-owned work.

The question then becomes where is Zdarsky in his career arc? He's sort of in the middle, right? I certainly wouldn't label him a superstar yet, but he's also not a fresh, baby-faced creator. Can I believe that Zdarsky keeps his best ideas for his creator-owned work and go with his B and C stuff for his Big 2 work? Yeah, I can. I think Nanashi's point does make sense when it comes to a mid-tier creator like Zdarsky who does both Big 2 work and creator-owned work.

But even then, we may be overcomplicating things. Zdarsky has a humorist background, which makes him a good fit for Spidey, and he has received lots of praise for his Spidey work. I think it's possible that Zdarsky just isn't a good Daredevil writer, at least not long-term.
    I can honestly say I think Zdarsky has been exceptional when it comes to the characters. It’s the stories where he’s faltering hard because almost non of it has been anything not already well covered by previous creators.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-20-2021 at 05:06 PM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

The sad part is what was going on then is more interesting then what's going on now.

Oh yeah one other interesting thing is that since Sharon was more of a supervillain than hero you could have her as opposing counsel.... and a mini-freak out scene when Matt hears her walk into the room and his Daredevil sense goes into over-drive because her footsteps sound unnatural. Yeah, Sharon has a normal height and build, but her mutancy gives her a lower body weight than normal. So Matt goes WTF?!?! when he hears her footsteps.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    I can honestly say I think Zdarsky has been exceptional when it comes to the characters. It’s the stories where he’s faltering hard because almost non of it has been anything not already well covered by previous creators.
    Yeah...sometimes, maybe. Like I said, I find his Matt to be a little bit too pathetic. I'm okay with broody Matt (how can I not as a DD fan?) but let's keep it in manageable doses. Like at one point in Soule's run, he felt very guilty over Blindspot and actually contemplated suicide (in a fun, comic-booky way, by hiring Bullseye to kill him!) but then he quickly decided that nah, he wants to live and beats up Bullseye instead. Matt's problems with his conscience were resolved in like 1-2 issues and then it's back to superheroing. I like that Matt more than this Matt.

Yeah...sometimes, maybe. Like I said, I find his Matt to be a little bit too pathetic. I'm okay with broody Matt (how can I not as a DD fan?) but let's keep it in manageable doses. Like at one point in Soule's run, he felt very guilty over Blindspot and actually contemplated suicide (in a fun, comic-booky way, by hiring Bullseye to kill him!) but then he quickly decided that nah, he wants to live and beats up Bullseye instead. Matt's problems with his conscience were resolved in like 1-2 issues and then it's back to superheroing. I like that Matt more than this Matt.
    Fair enough. But is that what he did in Soule’s run? I know the arc you’re talking about but I don’t know about the suicide contemplation? You may be mistaking that with Smiths run?
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-21-2021 at 06:39 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Fair enough. But is that what he did in Soule’s run? I know the arc you’re talking about but I don’t know about the suicide contemplation? You may be mistaking that with Smiths run?
    Pretty sure I have it right, but one of us should check the issue/trade when we get a chance. I remember Bullseye firing a bullet at DD from a rooftop across the way, and Daredevil just standing there reciting a lot of exposition and in that exposition I think it was at least hinted at that it was possible DD wouldn't dodge because of his guilt over what happened to Blindspot. But then subconsciously he did want to live and his arms came up to block the bullet.

Reminded me of this scene from the movie Mr. Brooks:

Pretty sure I have it right, but one of us should check the issue/trade when we get a chance. I remember Bullseye firing a bullet at DD from a rooftop across the way, and Daredevil just standing there reciting a lot of exposition and in that exposition I think it was at least hinted at that it was possible DD wouldn't dodge because of his guilt over what happened to Blindspot. But then subconsciously he did want to live and his arms came up to block the bullet.

Reminded me of this scene from the movie Mr. Brooks:
    Yep. I checked out the issue. I guess I had a different impression.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 07-21-2021 at 09:34 AM.
    - George Orwell

- Voltair