Page 6 of 162 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Awesome sketch of the Man Without Fear. I'm not sure why but it reminds of Alex Maleev drawings during that Iconic run with Bendis. But it might be just me tho.
    Mike McKone's drawings are excellent. He's done a whole set of various superheroes. Check out his Twitter. His recent one of Captain Britain (the real one i.e. Brian Braddock) is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    So I'm loving this run as well as this direction with Daredevil. However I am hoping and praying that there will be some interaction betwn Elektra and Spider-Man. BC you know Daredevil and Spidey are best pals right LOL! So surely the 'New' Daredevil will get along just fine with him. Probably not tho.
    I know what you mean. They've met before, but a personal favorite would be the Joe Mad version:

Daredevil by Kevin Nowlan:

Upcoming DAREDEVIL (2019) issue #26:
    King in Black Tie-In - Doing Time: Part 2
    Written by Chip Zdarsky. Art by Marco Checchetto and Mike Hawthorne. Cover by Marco Checchetto.
    A DEVIL CONSUMED! Matt faces a darkness unlike any before. Meanwhile, ELEKTRA may be in over her head for the first time in her life. DAREDEVIL must find the strength to continue the fight as all hell breaks loose.

Daredevil bust WIP by Lee Weeks:

I'm sure the final product will be fantastic as per usual.

Two Daredevils, two stories, and two artists in this week's issue - interview with Marco Checchetto and Mike Hawthorne:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gam...s-weeks-issue/

Spectacular Member

What did people think of #26?

I remain not a huge fan of Hawthorne's art. I never mind tie-ins though. It's just part of the business at this point. Complaining about it is just wasting time as this is how the business has operated for 20+ years.

The Elektra stuff was great. This run continues to be really enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    What did people think of #26?

I remain not a huge fan of Hawthorne's art. I never mind tie-ins though. It's just part of the business at this point. Complaining about it is just wasting time as this is how the business has operated for 20+ years.

The Elektra stuff was great. This run continues to be really enjoyable.
    I should get around to it in the next day or two. I'm another who feels that the Hawthorne art doesn't work in Daredevil, in particular the facial expressions.

Daredevil #25 3rd Printing Variant from Unknown Comics by Gabriele Dell'otto:

Incredible Member

For those interested, vol 1-4 of the Zdarsky trades are currently on sale on Comixology.

Fantastic Member

I don't really like this run with Daredevil's guilt and turning himself in over killing someone while preventing a robbery. Feels very silly to me... especially Spiderman's holier-than-thou attitude towards Daredevil. Wasn't the whole thing justifiable homicide? I mean he was preventing a robbery and they turned guns on him.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-28-2021 at 06:46 AM.

Hello everyone. It’s been some time. And in that time I’ve been enjoying the current run immensely as many others have, a lot of whom have called this one the best runs of all time already and I think they may have spoken far too soon. Mike Murdock’s retcon into reality is where I think it all began to fall apart and the most recent issue feels like what was once an excellent run by all measures is now shattered. It’s more likely I’m being hyperbolic since this run has just been that good up until the most recent arc so any dip in quality will stand out. But the most recent issue was a dive off a cliff.

I think elektra as Daredevil has much promise with Checchetto’s design one the best to ever grace a comic book page and her taking up proctection of HK in Matt’s stead being something interesting especially with Checchetto on art. His elektra and art in general is stunning to say the absolute least. He’s amazing. But the cost is unfortunate in that Zdarsky had take Matt out of play somehow and that’s where we began to approach the proverbial cliff. He put Matt in prison. AGAIN. That was disappointing. But Zdarsky has earned more than enough trust at this point to give him time to hopefully make this story his own and not a lesser version of one of the best stories every told just a few years ago. And there is still hope for that but issue 26 makes things doubtful.

The justification for Zdarsky putting Matt back in prison is that it’s Daredevul the superhero, not Matt the civilian. But so far the only demonstrable difference is that Matt wears a mask. He still seemingly in a regular jail surrounded by regular inmates. Does anyone think that a more interesting way to have him serve time again would be in a some kind of supermax facility surrounded by super villains not just another guy off the street. And I know it’s only been two issue since he’s been in jail but I’m losing faith quickly and this KiB tie did no favors.

One of the massive strengths of DD as many have noted is that it stays largely isolated from the MU and this issue I only reinforces why that is. Matt being consumed by the symbiot was just ridiculous and it would been awesome, if nothing else, had Matt found a way to resist and over come it (which may happen in the next issue, sure) but to have let himself be consumed by it to begin with or think throwing a stick would do anything is just ridiculous. This is one of the instances where it would have been amazing to have a Matt use his head to take down a more powerful opponent rather throws stick at it punch it. Idk.

Just wanted to share some very quick, unorganized, rambling thoughts. More to come, and they’re more concern than optimism or excitement unfortunately.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-29-2021 at 07:43 AM.

Overall, I thought this was descent issue especially given that it was a tie-in that I am sure Zdarsky would have preferred to not have to do.

Looking at the positives, I really liked the discussion Matt had with Marcus as it challenges a bit for Matt this idea that he is paying for his crime when he can just go back out and take his mask off and return to a normal life. Also, that Matt received 2 years for manslaughter where as Marcus received 3 years for drug possession goes to further show the inequities of our justice system especially when you add in that Marcus is a POC. I am wondering if this experience in prison will inspire Matt to be a defense attorney again to fight against these inequities?

Another thing I liked was the story with Elektra as this showed that Elektra is beginning to change. Elektra before assuming the mantle of Daredevil, would just have let Alice die, as she said she is weak. Why is she helping her? Much like being in prison may change Matt, especially now as he is "listening", how will being Daredevil change Elektra? That is an exciting thing to explore and as I said before while I don't love how we got here, I am intrigued on where this can go.

My biggest criticism of the run has been the whole Mike Murdock thing so at least we didn't have to deal with that this issue so that is a positive as well.

As for the negatives, Hawthorne's art is just not at the same level as Chechetto and it does affect my enjoyment of the book a bit.

I also would prefer Daredevil to avoid the tie-in with the King in Black cross-over (and broader MU stuff in general); however, I certainly understand why it happened. My assumption is that Matt's transformation will be short-lived and have no real lasting impact. Unfortunately, most tie-ins are not like what we got from Original Sin when Waid wrote what may have been his best story with Matt learning the truth of why Maggie left.

So in conclusion, not the best issue in Zdarsky's run and the art situation needs to be figured out though there was enough there for me and expect the main story to pick up once the King in Black stuff is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Hello everyone. It’s been some time. And in that time I’ve been enjoying the current run immensely as many others have, a lot of whom have called this one the best runs of already and think they may have spoken far too soon and the questionable retcon of Mike Murdock into the host of character is where I think it all began to fall apart and the most recent issue feels what was once an excellent run by all measured is now shattered. It’s more likely I’m being hyperbolic since this run has just been that good up until the most recent arc so any dip in quality will stand out. But the most recent issue was a diving off a cliff.

I think elektra as Daredevil has much promise with Checchettos design one the best to ever grace a comic book page and he taking up proctection of HK in Matt’s stead being something interesting especially with Checchetto on art. His elektra and art in general is stunning to say the absolute least. He’s amazing. But the cost is unfortunate in that Zdarsjy has take Matt out of play somehow and that where we began to approach the proverbial cliff. He out Matt in prison. AGAIN. This Zdarsky. He’s earned more that enough trust at this to give him time to hopefully make this story his own and not a lesser version of one of the best stories every told just a few years ago. And there is still hope for that but issue 26 makes things doubtful.

The justification for Zdarsky putting Matt back in prison is that it’s Daredevul the superhero, not Matt the civilian. But so far the only demonstrable difference is that Matt wears a mask. He still seemingly in a regular jail surrounded by regular inmates. Does anyone think that a more interesting way to have him serve time again would be in a some kind of supermax facility surrounded by super villains not just another guy off the street. And I know it’s only been two issue since he’s been in jail but I’m losing faith quickly and this KiB tie did no favors.

One of the massive strengths of DD as many have noted is that it stays largely isolated from the MU and this issue I only reinforces why that is. Matt being consumed by the symbiot was just ridiculous and it would been awesome, if nothing else, had Matt found a way to resist and over come it (which may happen in the next issue, sure) but to have let himself be consumed by it to begin with or think throwing a stick would do anything is just ridiculous. This is one of the instances where it would have been amazing to have a Matt use his head to take down a more powerful opponent rather throws stick at it punch it. Idk.

Just wanted to share some very quick, unorganized, rambling thoughts. More to come, and they’re more concern than optimism or excitement unfortunately.
    Nice to have you back! I agree that the quality has dipped a bit and I have written that I didn't love the way we got to Elektra being Daredevil (particularly Mike Murdock), though I do think it is an interesting concept to explore and want to see how it all plays out. Plus, as you mentioned, we are just spoiled with Chechetto's artwork, particularly his Elektra and his costume design for her as Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    I don't really like this run with Daredevil's guilt and turning himself in over killing someone while preventing a robbery. Feels very silly to me... especially Spiderman's holier-than-thou attitude towards Daredevil. Wasn't the whole thing justifiable homicide? I mean he was preventing a robbery and they turned guns on him.
    While I certainly understand your point, if you look up "guilt" in the dictionary you get a picture of Matt Murdock...

How do you guys think Matt will get out of prison early this time? Surely not another prison break, right? Presuming he won’t actually spend two years real time in prison I think it would actually be bold and definitely help further differentiate this stint from the last time he was incarcerated. Plus, the more of Checchettos Elektra and her DD outfit the better!
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-28-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Also, Mindy and Detective North have been conspicuously absent for some time now. I wonder when, if ever, we’ll catch up with them? Perhaps after KiB concludes and the story Zdarsky was telling can continue? Maybe. Considering that all of NYC is being attacked by KiB nonsense, this would have been a perfect opportunity to catch up with them and find how they’re dealing with KiB. Hopefully they’ll appear again soon for closure if nothing else in case their stories have ran their course. But how they have already? We never even got Mindy reacting to what happened to her husband. I’m actually surprised Matt didn’t at least go to her before going to jail to at least check on her or somehow end things on a better note.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-28-2021 at 09:45 PM.