Page 7 of 162 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

I could see Detective North popping up again. Mindy is up in the air.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

@Nanashi, Welcome back! I wondered where you'd got to. I plan on reading the current DD issue today, so I'm sure I'll have some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    How do you guys think Matt will get out of prison early this time? Surely not another prison break, right? Presuming he won’t actually spend two years real time in prison I think it would actually be bold and definitely help further differentiate this stint from the last time he was incarcerated. Plus, the more of Checchettos Elektra and her DD outfit the better!
    I think Elektra is going to be Daredevil for all of 2021 and likely into 2022, which I am on board with because I think her character needs this, and how being Daredevil could change her, to give more definition to her as a character which has some lasting impact. Too often writers have used a variation of the same tropes with her, particularly when she appears in the Daredevil. And not that it is always a bad thing; however, I think there is an opportunity with her as Daredevil to really impact her in a meaningful way. Not to mention we continue to get Chechetto's amazing art, I've said before he draws the best Elektra and it's not even close.

Also, Mindy and Detective North have been conspicuously absent for some time now. I wonder when, if ever, we’ll catch up with them? Perhaps after KiB concludes and the story Zdarsky was telling can continue? Maybe. Considering that all of NYC is being attacked by KiB nonsense, this would have been a perfect opportunity to catch up with them and find how they’re dealing with KiB. Hopefully they’ll appear again soon for closure if nothing else in case their stories have ran their course. But how they have already? We never even got Mindy reacting to what happened to her husband. I’m actually surprised Matt didn’t at least go to her before going to jail to at least check on her or somehow end things on a better note.
    It's so funny you mention this as I was just thinking about this as well.

I liked Detective North and certainly could see him showing back up, he may even visit Matt while he is in jail. Or he may meet Elektra which could certainly provide some interesting conversation.

I do hope that there is some closure with Mindy as well. I agree Matt not checking on her was surprising and just adds to the list of things that led up to him going to jail that made me frustrated with the book along with him not revealing his identity to Kirsten yet he does so to the DA? As I think about it some more I know there was some thoughts that Mike Murdock may try to get with Kirsten and I am now wondering if he may run into Mindy which would be equally as bad given how vulnerable she may be after her husbands death. I really hope Zdarsky doesn't go there.

Mike Murdock is one of my least favourite characters within Daredevil. I was very happy to see the back of him back when I was reading through Daredevil from the very beginning. He was extremely irritating and seemed to go on forever. Let's also remember that it was Soule who brought him back. I'm a big fan of Soule's run with the exception of that last arc in which Mike reappeared. Therefore, I'm not mad at Zdarsky bringing Mike back in play as he was out there again anyway. Also, Mike is a great alibi for Matt not being Daredevil so in essence he works well in that respect. My only hope is that Zdarsky will get rid of him for good and that he being Matt's brother will be undone and not become canon. I would just hate for Mike to be a permanent element.

I finished reading DD #26, and also I have mixed thoughts. Hawthorne's art foes not work with Daredevil. Let's just be thankful that Checchetto is doing the other half of the comic. From my understanding, Checchetto is unable to regularly produce art each month.

I'm also a big advocate of Daredevil being kept out of events. I haven't got around to reading the King of Black event but I suspect that it was inevitable having Knull appear as all of NY is probably being affected and it would probably be strange having Hell's Kitchen out of the picture. I'm also in agreement that Waid's Original Sin two-parter was pretty excellent. One of my favourite Daredevil stories - top class. I also hated having Matt taken over by the symbiote instead of, for example, Elektra. They could have had Matt find a way out if they wanted to. But no, Elektra needs to be the main hero and Matt the one taken over.

Once, the KiB is out of the picture, North could be back. Mindy should also be back, what with her mother-in-law being the head honcho in crime.

Does anyone who actually liked the scene between Matt and the inmate with that insufferable lecture want to explain how anything he’s saying makes any sort of sense before I rant about how ridiculous he and those particular points make absolutely no sense when common sense is considered for even a moment? I already hate politics, but this BS is on a while other level. It’s unfortunate so much of this garbage has poisoned so much of entertainment. To find them here too is revolting and made worse what was already a subpar issue.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-29-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Does anyone who actually liked the scene between Matt and the inmate with that insufferable lecture want to explain how anything he’s saying makes any sort of sense before I rant about how ridiculous he and those particular points make absolutely no sense when common sense is considered for even a moment? I already hate politics, but this BS is on a while other level. It’s unfortunate so much of this garbage has poisoned so much of entertainment. To find them here too is revolting and made worse what was already a subpar issue.
    I don't necessarily want to dive into a debate; however, I am not sure what Marcus said was the controversial?

Matt gets to keep his mask on and his identity secret so the fact that he was charged with manslaughter does really affect Matt Murdock, just "Daredevil". The moment he walks out of prison and takes his mask off his "normal" life is not affected one bit. For Marcus, he doesn't have that luxury.

Also, Matt got 2 years for pleading guilty to manslaughter whereas Marcus got 3 years for drug possession. Marcus is also a person of color. It is really not debatable that there is inequity in the US criminal justice system particularly when it comes to the war on drugs, minorities, socio-economic status and the sentencing that goes along with it. Add to the fact that Matt had one of, if not the best lawyer in NYC defending him in Foggy Nelson (and Kirsten being an exceptional attorney as well); whereas, Macrus likely had a public defender. I also understand why Marcus thinks that Matt will get out early because of who he is.

Last thing I will say is that comics have always been a place for social/political commentary so this kind of thing really isn't anything new; Claremont's X-Men (particularly God Loves, Man Kills), Watchmen, V for Vendetta, early Iron Man, Nocenti's Daredevil run just to name a few. And while I don't necessarily like when it is shoehorned into the story (like it was at time during Nocenti's run), when it fits the story it can create a powerful narrative. And I think here it very much fits. In Matt's mind him going to prison and serving the sentence is paying for the crime he committed, what this interaction shows is that he may not be paying for it as much as he thinks. Also, Matt is a lawyer, spending much of his career as a defense attorney, I think this could be a good experience for him to further understand the inequities in the world and fight to improve it both as Daredevil and Matt Murdock the lawyer.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post

While I certainly understand your point, if you look up "guilt" in the dictionary you get a picture of Matt Murdock...
    Guilt and arrogance... The idea that he thinks he can throw punches and do what he does without occasionally killing someone is pretty arrogant.

Part of the whole storyline is that Daredevil was sloppy... and if he hadn't been sloppy this wouldn't have happened... and he thinks he can be new and "improved" and this won't happen again.
    Last edited by evolutionaryFan; 01-29-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    Guilt and arrogance... The idea that he thinks he can throw punches and do what he does without occasionally killing someone is pretty arrogant.

Part of the whole storyline is that Daredevil was sloppy... and if he hadn't been sloppy this wouldn't have happened... and he thinks he can be new and "improved" and this won't happen again.
    I think I get where you’re coming from but I like that he’s trying take responsibility this time. In MWF and Born Again he killed and the fact he barely feels remorse for either instance in those stories never quite sat right with me. I know one instance was an accident and the other necessary to save HK, but that he doesn’t really ever feel the gravity of taking a life was always bothersome. I also get what your saying about such things happening doing what he does. So maybe Matt turning himself is pointless since this may happen again but I like that killing isn’t something he’s just seemingly brushing off and moving on from as if nothing happened.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-29-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    I don't necessarily want to dive into a debate; however, I am not sure what Marcus said was the controversial?

Matt gets to keep his mask on and his identity secret so the fact that he was charged with manslaughter does really affect Matt Murdock, just "Daredevil". The moment he walks out of prison and takes his mask off his "normal" life is not affected one bit. For Marcus, he doesn't have that luxury.

Also, Matt got 2 years for pleading guilty to manslaughter whereas Marcus got 3 years for drug possession. Marcus is also a person of color. It is really not debatable that there is inequity in the US criminal justice system particularly when it comes to the war on drugs, minorities, socio-economic status and the sentencing that goes along with it. Add to the fact that Matt had one of, if not the best lawyer in NYC defending him in Foggy Nelson (and Kirsten being an exceptional attorney as well); whereas, Macrus likely had a public defender. I also understand why Marcus thinks that Matt will get out early because of who he is.

Last thing I will say is that comics have always been a place for social/political commentary so this kind of thing really isn't anything new; Claremont's X-Men (particularly God Loves, Man Kills), Watchmen, V for Vendetta, early Iron Man, Nocenti's Daredevil run just to name a few. And while I don't necessarily like when it is shoehorned into the story (like it was at time during Nocenti's run), when it fits the story it can create a powerful narrative. And I think here it very much fits. In Matt's mind him going to prison and serving the sentence is paying for the crime he committed, what this interaction shows is that he may not be paying for it as much as he thinks. Also, Matt is a lawyer, spending much of his career as a defense attorney, I think this could be a good experience for him to further understand the inequities in the world and fight to improve it both as Daredevil and Matt Murdock the lawyer.
    I do have a lot of counterpoints to many of what you said here but since this would likely turn a debate I’ll leave it at I disagree and appreciate your response for why that scene worked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I finished reading DD #26, and also I have mixed thoughts. Hawthorne's art foes not work with Daredevil. Let's just be thankful that Checchetto is doing the other half of the comic. From my understanding, Checchetto is unable to regularly produce art each month.

I'm also a big advocate of Daredevil being kept out of events. I haven't got around to reading the King of Black event but I suspect that it was inevitable having Knull appear as all of NY is probably being affected and it would probably be strange having Hell's Kitchen out of the picture. I'm also in agreement that Waid's Original Sin two-parter was pretty excellent. One of my favourite Daredevil stories - top class. I also hated having Matt taken over by the symbiote instead of, for example, Elektra. They could have had Matt find a way out if they wanted to. But no, Elektra needs to be the main hero and Matt the one taken over.

Once, the KiB is out of the picture, North could be back. Mindy should also be back, what with her mother-in-law being the head honcho in crime.
    I don’t think Hawthorns art is that bad but I do agree with you all the same. Next to Checchetto too does no favors. Is another artist you think would be more compatible?

I don’t think DD being pulled into KiB was inevitable. DDs done wonders staying out of the shenanigans of MUfor quite a while with Waids excellent tie in being a surprisingly good and rare exception. I’m inclined to think he already had that story well planned and just adjusted to fit in with Original sin. KiB may ring more attention to the title which I supposed isn’t a bad thing even it means sacrificing two issues for a tie in.

I don’t think Hawthorns art is that bad but I do agree with you all the same. Next to Checchetto too does no favors. Is another artist you think would be more compatible?
    I think getting Jorge Fornes back in to draw the Daredevil prison scenes would be great. Him doing 50/50 on art duties with Checchetto would give grit and fantastic detail to the Daredevil comic. He could, however, be pretty tied up with Rorschach and other stuff. Francesco Mobili could also be a good option. Hawthorne is a good artist but not my cup of tea for Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    I think getting Jorge Fornes back in to draw the Daredevil prison scenes would be great. Him doing 50/50 on art duties with Checchetto would give grit and fantastic detail to the Daredevil comic. He could, however, be pretty tied up with Rorschach and other stuff. Francesco Mobili could also be a good option. Hawthorne is a good artist but not my cup of tea for Daredevil.
    Of those you mentioned Jorge Fornes would definitely be my choice. I’m not sure he and Checchetto are similar enough though to mitigate what may be a jarring transition from one to the other. I loved Forbes issues, though. By far my favorite of the artists who’ve filled in to date.
    Last edited by Nanashi; 01-29-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Does anyone think Sean Phillips would work well on DD?

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone think Sean Phillips would work well on DD?
    I'd prefer if we got any of Brubaker's old collaborator's back in here, we should get Michael Lark, personally. It might be a nice throwback to the first time Matt was in prison, too!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.