Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Illyana Nikolievna Rasputina: MAGIK appreciation 2021

This thread is to comment on, sacrifice to, and discuss Our Queen of Darkness, Illyana Rasputin(a), AKA Magik: mutant sorceress supreme and Hell Lord of Limbo.

Previous threads include

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2020

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...k-Appreciation

ESSENTIAL READING
    - Giant Size X-men #1 (1975, first appearance)
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol 1 #160 & 164 (plus 188-191, 203)
    - God Loves, Man Kills Graphic Novel
    - Magik: Illyana & Storm #1-4
    - New Mutants Vol 1 #3, 14-73
    - Inferno Crossover Event

SoulSword & Cross-Time Appearances while Mostly Dead
    - Excalibur Vol 1 #6-8, 11, 23, 37-39, 83-85
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 #365
    - X-Men Omega (where a younger version ended Age of Apocalypse)
    - X-Men: Black Sun
    - Nightcrawler (2004) #10-12
    - X-Men: Magik #1-4
    - Exiles #22, 26-37, 43-44 , 55-57
    - Mystic Arkana: Magik
    - New Mutants: Truth or Death
    - Inferno (2015)
    - New X-Men #16-19 (House of M)

Illyana 2.0
    - New X-Men: #37-41 The Quest for Magik
    - X-Men: Divided We Stand #2
    - X-Infernus
    - X-Men: Hellbound
    - New Mutants Vol. 3 #1-21, 25, 28
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 #540-543 (Fear Itself)
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2
    - Avengers vs X-Men
    - Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3
    - All New X-Men #1, 3, 9, 10, 11
    - Battle of the Atom Crossover Event
    - Black Vortex Crossover Event
    - Death of X
    - Extraordinary X-Men
    - IvX
    - Jean Grey #2 & 11
    - Phoenix Resurrection
    - New Mutants: Dead Souls
    - What If - Magik #1 & Dr. Strange: The End
    - Secret Warriors (2017) #2-3, 8-12
    - X-Men Gold (2017) 23-25, 30

Last edited by G0RM; 01-05-2021 at 06:11 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Why nothing from the Dawn of X era in the recommendations?

Happy New Year to Magik .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Why nothing from the Dawn of X era in the recommendations?
    I was trying to do slightly obscure stuff from way back, and less about the new release.

I'm sort of assuming subscriptions to Marvel Unlimited, and even then I think I'm missing a couple important pieces from the more distant past.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Extraordinary Member

Reposting my recent fics.

The rewrite of the New Mutants film. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1369014...s-film-rewrite

The sequel to the rewrite. https://www.fanfiction.net/story/sto...oryid=13758191

And my take on how Illyana became a captain on Krakoa. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1376065...came-a-Captain

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

A new year, and hopefully another good one for Magik.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    A new year, and hopefully another good one for Magik.
    Couldn't agree more

Extraordinary Member

At this moment I'm assuming Illyana won't be quite as prominent this year as she was last year. Savage Avengers is moving into a Conan-focused storyline and I think Illyana won't show up there again for a while. She also did not feature in the Reign of X teaser image, and while I think logically in an election she should be one of the front-runners to be selected to be on the new X-Men team given her current prominence on Krakoa, I wouldn't be surprised if logic plays no role in how the team is selected. I wouldn't expect her to have multiple appearances a month very often in 2021. She'll probably have a small role in the next 2 Captain Marvel issues which will end with that storyline in February and then it'll just be New Mutants for her for a while. In fact, it looks like she won't appear at all in March since there's no New Mutants solicited for that month.

I would prefer that Illyana stays in the New Mutants rather than the X-men tbh. It seems as though it will be a quieter year for her, that seems to be true.
    Also, I wouldn't be so sure on people voting for Illyana. I think she's kind of like Wolverine in that a lot of people are scared of her, and with good reason. Like, most people remember the Bendis era as Cyclops going villain with Magneto, Emma and Magik lmao.

Also, given that Gerry likes to write her, I wouldn't be surprised if she made little appearances on Marauders given her relationship with Kitty(be that whatever it is)

Extraordinary Member

No reason she can't do both when Cyclops isn't giving up being Captain Commander.

If people are scared of her it would be because of her actions as part of the Phoenix 5, not the 'revolution' phase where all they did was rescue new mutants. If anything that would earn her points with the general public on Krakoa. Also, everyone who was on that team is currently in a position of power, Illyana included. While I don't believe the population figures for X-Haven were ever given, we know that every mutant who took refuge there was brought specifically by Illyana, so for many mutant civilians she was the first friendly face they saw and their introduction to the X-world. That combined with her current standing as a captain gives her a better place to spring off of than most others.

Yeah, yeah you are right about the bendis era stuff lmao.
    I still think most people would fear her more because of the times she's gone darkchylde, etc.

I know she could be in two teams, I just prefer her on New Mutants and think it would be neat to have different faces on the x-men team.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    At this moment I'm assuming Illyana won't be quite as prominent this year as she was last year. Savage Avengers is moving into a Conan-focused storyline and I think Illyana won't show up there again for a while. She also did not feature in the Reign of X teaser image, and while I think logically in an election she should be one of the front-runners to be selected to be on the new X-Men team given her current prominence on Krakoa, I wouldn't be surprised if logic plays no role in how the team is selected. I wouldn't expect her to have multiple appearances a month very often in 2021. She'll probably have a small role in the next 2 Captain Marvel issues which will end with that storyline in February and then it'll just be New Mutants for her for a while. In fact, it looks like she won't appear at all in March since there's no New Mutants solicited for that month.
    That leaves April-December unaccounted for. Plenty of slave for her to show up elsewhere.

Im fine with Illyana taking a break. She was a bit overexposed last year. They can limit her major appearances to New Mutants and spread the love to others in 2021

I agreeee, and some of that over-exposure was writing I didn't like that much, sadly.