Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Strance academy 8 cover Variant Jae Anacleto
    Awesome, love it!

Extraordinary Member

Looks like the real Illyana might have a problem with movie Illyana.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Looks like the real Illyana might have a problem with movie Illyana.
    Real Illyana:Problem? loud *BURP* in background behind her. Real Illyana:What Problem?

Real Dani looking behind Real Illyana: Loud *SNICKER*

Real Rahne: I know Nothing,I See Nothing.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 01-23-2021 at 06:55 PM.

Real Blindfold and Real Anole: Hellooo
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Incredible Member

Any comments on Magik's appearances in two titles this week?

spoilers:

I felt badly dissatisfied by how inconsequential each of them was, partly interchangeable, partly due to lack of character growth etc. I remember one silent single-panel appearance in a bomb jacket in a jail cell years ago that felt far more intriguing than all she did this week.

(Farouk was developed as a character & students in Strange Academy & New Mutants got great play, but not Illyana. Dani & Rahne also got great appearances, plus Bobby & Sam dominated X-Men this week.)

(I did like Strange Academy & New Mutants this week, but not from Magik's appearance, just a minor appearance as a magikbus in Academy & anti bully bully & wedding guest in New Mutants.)
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Illyana got to play mama bear for the kids of Krakoa and to tease Doug over getting married instead of having to get killed in a sword fight. It's also an interesting change for Illyana to be the one who seems to have the fewest emotional issues and is the most well-adjusted of the team, with Rahne and Shan having big issues and Dani seemingly not getting where the younger kids are coming from. At this point I think Illyana has the best chance of getting through to Cosmar is they talked, especially if Illyana assumed her demonic form for the conversation.

With Strange Academy she's always been a background character. There has never been a reason to expect her to do much there. I am a little disappointed in Captain Marvel since her being held by Ove was treated as such a big deal, so you'd expect her to get a big moment of payback. There's still one issue for that to happen.

Amazing Member

With Strange Academy she's always been a background character. There has never been a reason to expect her to do much there. I am a little disappointed in Captain Marvel since her being held by Ove was treated as such a big deal, so you'd expect her to get a big moment of payback. There's still one issue for that to happen.
    I felt strongly let down by this as well - guess she took a nap so everyone else could look powerful...?

I like how Illyana looks more happy those times. No more of that "don't waste your time with me, I'm crused" bullshit.
    Her interactions with Cypher are cute. She seems more protective than she was during NM v. 1, maybe because his death traumatized her.

Since Rhane's son was killed in a contest between Hell Lords, maybe one of them is holding his soul and prevents him from being resurrected.
    Saving him would be a job for another Hell Lord (with a Valkyrie friend)
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meta jon View Post
    I felt strongly let down by this as well - guess she took a nap so everyone else could look powerful...?
    Illyana's primary strategy is to appear to be less than she is, which she started doing in childhood.

She remained mum about what happened in Limbo and pretended not to have powers between UXM v1 #160 & TNM v1 #14, including allowing herself to get almost captured by Striker in 'God Loves, Man Kills' when he was on the hunt for demons hiding in plain sight as 'Mutants'.

She didn't really openly admit to being a Hell Lord until Inferno, letting the New Mutants each take their moments in the sun, when she could have been gating in starships and teleporting battlefields into Limbo instead. (The thing of having Warlock imitate her while teleporting each New Mutant to Limbo to free them instead of just porting Karma/Farouk/Shadow King directly into Limbo in TNM v1 #34 is an obvious example.)

Spending months in a bomb-jacket is trivial compared to her year without eating or sleeping in Old Woman Storm's frozen garden before forging the SoulSword.

Creating a pocket universe and pranking Captain Marvel with a Namor stand-in until Carol 'saves the world' as apology for trapping Captain Marvel in a private little hell during AvX seems like the sort of thing she might do. (Magik had previously spent weeks or years trapped by Amora before; this whole thing might be a karmic penance thing like her campaign to get Piotr to stop calling her 'Snowflake', which involved pwning several pantheons of demon- Norse- and space- gods, branches of the US government, and all of Mutantdom.)
    Last edited by G0RM; 02-01-2021 at 12:29 AM.

I don't think it's unbelievable that the Enchantress with the help of Ove and who knows who else could take Magik if she isn't expecting to be attacked.

Also despite her small appearance on last week's New Mutants I'm enjoying the book. Really interested in what would be her arc there, as the other New Mutants are clearly burdened by personal stuff but she seems to be, mostly, okay.
    Last edited by lunarmagik; 02-01-2021 at 09:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    I don't think it's unbelievable that the Enchantress with the help of Ove and who knows who else could take Magik if she isn't expecting to be attacked.

Also despite her small appearance on last week's New Mutants I'm enjoying the book. Really interested in what would be her arc there, as the other New Mutants are clearly burdened by personal stuff but she seems to be, mostly, okay.
    No one's complaining about her being beaten or captured in Captain Marvel. The problem is the way they've built her up in that series. The mere possibility of her being involved with Ove and the discovery that she was his prisoner were treated as huge 'oh crap' moments. Building up a character like that necessitates using them later on. If she was treated as just another prisoner her not doing anything in the climax wouldn't be an issue. Strange Academy makes it clear she's wallpaper, so there's no similar issue there.

No one's complaining about her being beaten or captured in Captain Marvel. The problem is the way they've built her up in that series. The mere possibility of her being involved with Ove and the discovery that she was his prisoner were treated as huge 'oh crap' moments. Building up a character like that necessitates using them later on. If she was treated as just another prisoner her not doing anything in the climax wouldn't be an issue. Strange Academy makes it clear she's wallpaper, so there's no similar issue there.
    GORM was kinda talking about how she did it just to let Carol have a nice moment. I said it in reference to that.

I mean, yeah, it could be possible that she will have a moment still in the last chapter of this arc? I don't particularly care if she has one or not.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I like how Illyana looks more happy those times. No more of that "don't waste your time with me, I'm cursed" bullshit.
    It's not BS if Illyana (3.0?) really is cursed: Hurt and Darkness given form, pretending to be 'more happy', instead of honestly and vulnerably screaming, and screaming, and screaming forever to openly express suffering all the torments of the soulless damned.

Her interactions with Cypher are cute. She seems more protective than she was during NM v. 1, maybe because his death traumatized her.
    No maybe about it.

The only question is how many times she's watched Doug die, given her ability to rewind and use scrying pools & mirrors, stepping disks, spells etc.

Since Rhane's son was killed in a contest between Hell Lords, maybe one of them is holding his soul and prevents him from being resurrected.
    Saving him would be a job for another Hell Lord (with a Valkyrie friend)
    Maybe Magik IS the one who got the Council to veto Rahne's son's resurrection.

Dead Souls seemed like a specific attempt to get damaged goods with damaged souls together, all of whom might be involved in bigger plans with or without their knowledge.

Plants vs Mutant Zombies and X of Swords were each sort of Hell Wars, and on the whole, Hell Wars should be kept to a minimum.

(Illyana is currently fighting TWO: against Kulan Gath and in the Hell Rider series where Belasco appears to be slouching towards Limbo.)
    Last edited by G0RM; 02-03-2021 at 12:39 PM.

Incredible Member

Чеховское ружьё

Chekhov's Hell Lord.