Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

First preview of X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...he-man-thing-1

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Thanks for posting.

Now let's just hope nobody of the mutants is going to get stupidly killed in that oneshot. They seem to be ready to attack the villain who obviously has something ready to blast them away. Two of them are on my "surviving Hickman's era without getting stupidly killed" bingo card.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-08-2021 at 09:47 AM.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...he-man-thing-1
    Dang. We were thisclose to having X-MEN: CURSE OF THE GIANT-SIZE MAN-THING weren't we?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

We were talking about Illyana's relationship with Storm, but what about her relationship with Magneto? She went from really looking to him and even depending on him to feeling completely betrayed by him, and she was the student he was closest to. Her deaging and death both played huge roles in his descent back into villainy. And yet even though they've been on the same team a lot since her return they've barely interacted and their past relationship has been completely ignored. At the very least I would have expected something like: 'I heard you crashed my funeral. Seriously, WTF?'

We were talking about Illyana's relationship with Storm, but what about her relationship with Magneto? She went from really looking to him and even depending on him to feeling completely betrayed by him, and she was the student he was closest to. Her deaging and death both played huge roles in his descent back into villainy. And yet even though they've been on the same team a lot since her return they've barely interacted and their past relationship has been completely ignored. At the very least I would have expected something like: 'I heard you crashed my funeral. Seriously, WTF?'
    That was my biggest disappointment from Gilen's UXM. There was room for great interactions between Magik and Magneto (or Magik and other characters) but nope, she spent the whole series stuck with Brother Piotr.
    And same with Bendis's X-Men, except this time it was with Sister Katya. (although I can't be mad at Bendis because he is the one who let Illyana step outside the X-world and get closer to Dr Strange)
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I don't know if there's anything interesting left to be said between Magik and Magneto to be fair lmao. I don't think Illyana would be the type to rethread the "you failed me magneto" stuff with him. And I don't think Illyana even considers that kid Yana to be her, so why would she think of it as her funeral?

Storm and Illyana have a bit more range because Storm has the potential to learn magic imo.

Also, Magik interacting with Kitty is way better than Magik being glued to Collosus in Gillen's UXM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    That was my biggest disappointment from Gilen's UXM. There was room for great interactions between Magik and Magneto (or Magik and other characters) but nope, she spent the whole series stuck with Brother Piotr.
    And same with Bendis's X-Men, except this time it was with Sister Katya. (although I can't be mad at Bendis because he is the one who let Illyana step outside the X-world and get closer to Dr Strange)
    There are some thing you don't talk about. I really don't see Illyana or the rest of the New Mutants asking Magento about his time in the Nazi camps, do I see him asking them about their various deaths at the hands of the Beyonder.

Besides the interactions you're talking about between Magik and Magneto basically took place during the original run of the New Mutants before the relationship they and rest of the New Mutants were forming with each other got screwed up by Claremont leaving the title.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    I don't know if there's anything interesting left to be said between Magik and Magneto to be fair lmao. I don't think Illyana would be the type to rethread the "you failed me magneto" stuff with him. And I don't think Illyana even considers that kid Yana to be her, so why would she think of it as her funeral?

Storm and Illyana have a bit more range because Storm has the potential to learn magic imo.
    Don't think so, because Illyana deep down will never quite view Ororo as being *HER* Ororo. (which she isn't) She mostly likely sees her as being Kitty's Ororo.

Also she would quite frankly have doubts about the wisdom of having Ororo fool around with magic.since she knows better than anyone what the results of that could be.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 04-11-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Looking back, the Gillen run was an outlier in how during it Illyana had no relationship with anyone other than her brother. In terms of the team dynamic she might as well have been an actual bus which is really disappointing given how she had relationships in the past with several members of the Extinction Squad like Magneto and Storm. That was also ignored in the New Mutants issue where supposedly everyone who cared about Illyana was sent on a special mission to keep them away while she was being imprisoned, only to have Wolverine be on that team while Magneto and Storm stayed behind. This was an era when she didn't have anyone to play off of despite being on a team.

When Bendis came in she started having actual interactions with people again. She and Scott became friends who respected each other. She developed a bond with the new students. She became friends with Dr. Strange. And she and Kitty became best friends again.

One thing I've noticed in the current era is that when she has an extended interaction with someone new, I start seeing people calling for that duo to become a buddy comedy. It happened with Illyana and Gorgon discussing enemy weaknesses in X of Swords, and it happened when she teleported Wolverine to Mars.

Extraordinary Member

Interview with Steve Orlando including a bit on X-Men Curse of the Man-Thing

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/04/12/x-...ndo-interview/

AIPT: And you’ve got another X-Men one-shot on the way. X-Men: Curse of The Man-Thing introduces readers to Magik’s Dark Riders. First, X-Fan Douglas Yung wanted to know what made you choose to dust off that name and use it for this team? And second, X-Fan Pandafarmer asked how you chose this eclectic cast of characters to fill out Magik’s team.

Steve: When it comes to the name, it’s all about context! Magik’s wit is razor-sharp, and her humor often grim, her charisma wild. So thinking of a team she might lead, and thinking of how Dawn of X has repositioned older names like the Hellions and the Marauders for new purposes, the Dark Riders felt to me like the right name for a group of monstrous mutants Magik is mentoring.

As for the roster itself, again lining up with the Dawn of X era, it felt right to pull members from a variety of past teams, heroic or villainous, and give them a fresh shot. So we pulled characters from the ’80s, ’90s, ’00s and ’10s, and brought them together under the unifying theme of monstrous mutants working to manage their wildest instincts. These felt like folks who would not only bounce well off each other and have things to learn from Magik, but ALSO who would challenge her in interesting ways if the team does eventually return for another adventure.
    Sounds like he's hoping this team will be more than a one-off, but it's far from certain.

Extraordinary Member

Magik has had 2 logos in her history. There was the original logo from the 80s which was used in her origin mini and New Mutants vol. 1. After she returned they created an entirely new logo.

Which logo do you prefer? The classic?

Attachment 108659

Or the modern?

Attachment 108660

Extraordinary Member

Illyana has a small appearance in Captain Marvel 28. Carol goes to a bunch of sorcerers to try to get them to teach her magic and they all say no, including Illyana.

Incredible Member

Magik has had 2 logos in her history. There was the original logo from the 80s which was used in her origin mini and New Mutants vol. 1. After she returned they created an entirely new logo.

Which logo do you prefer? The classic?

Attachment 108659

Or the modern?

Attachment 108660
    Given that I'm familiar with the logo in the Storm and Illyana mini, I have strong nostalgic feelings for it.

Having the soulsword in the second logo is alright, but why in the M?

Why not the I of MAGIK?

Were they trying for a pitchfork theme, which is more of a Hellstrom thing anyway?

Extraordinary Member

I think it looks better in the Planet Sized cover, This flat image looks less elegant and more like a battle getup.

Seems Illyana is bucking the trend of people showing much more skin than usual at the Gala. I think I'd prefer this as her main uniform minus the floating horns.