Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast

I dunno. She had a few "screw the consequences" moves in her earlier days as Magik. She tried to resurrect her brother that one time, and was convinced it worked, but he was actually alive and just playing along with her perception of the circumstances. She was also fully set to time travel to save the Morlocks from the massacre, but was talked out of it.

Most of her more "reckless" actions were done after Quest for Magik, when she was hellbent on reclaiming her bloodstone soul fragments and destroying the Elder Gods. Even after that, insisting she was no longer a threat to anyone -- getting incarcerated on Utopia and even put in an incendiary suit -- she still allowed her brother to become possessed to make a point. I suppose that last one isn't necessarily an example of reckless magic use, so much as just being a spiteful sibling? haha.

Extraordinary Member

The Morlocks thing I don't accept as canon. During that story Piotr and Kitty were both seriously wounded, so Piotr was incapable of having that conversation in the first place. Plus Illyana was so concerned about him and especially Kitty she didn't have a thought to spare for the Morlocks. If that conversation had been physically possible at the time it was supposed to have occurred then Illyana would have still been alive at the time the issue was written.

In the old days, when all of her magic was at least partly black, then any use of magic or spells could have been considered irresponsible. It was always a 'damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't' situation. The switch from Claremont to Simonsen didn't matters as she went from someone who could be reckless depending on the situation but was cautious most of the time to someone who had no concept of the consequences of her actions, as part of the general dumbing down of the New Mutants after Claremont left.

In general she's more reckless with her mutant power than with her sorcery. That also comes back to her using her mutant power much more often. Random teleporting, time-traveling, sneaking out. It's all her mutant power. Even with the Elder Gods she doesn't cast any spells. She travels through time and space with her stepping disks and swings her sword around. I don't think she casts a single spell the entire Wells run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I dunno. She had a few "screw the consequences" moves in her earlier days as Magik. She tried to resurrect her brother that one time, and was convinced it worked, but he was actually alive and just playing along with her perception of the circumstances. She was also fully set to time travel to save the Morlocks from the massacre, but was talked out of it.

Most of her more "reckless" actions were done after Quest for Magik, when she was hellbent on reclaiming her bloodstone soul fragments and destroying the Elder Gods. Even after that, insisting she was no longer a threat to anyone -- getting incarcerated on Utopia and even put in an incendiary suit -- she still allowed her brother to become possessed to make a point. I suppose that last one isn't necessarily an example of reckless magic use, so much as just being a spiteful sibling? haha.
    I see your points, but in general considering her background she’s pretty responsible was before being trained by Dr.Strange.

Astonishing Member

We thinking Magik? Personally I'd be in it just got the redesign.

Extraordinary Member

I's say there's a chance. I was assuming Strange would just be back in his place at the end of this story, but now it seems that whether they bring him back for real or not he won't go back to being sorcerer supreme right away. The main reason she's a viable candidate is because of the connection they've built between her and Strange over the last 10 years. She'd be in a better position than Dr. Voodoo was the last time they tried this by that virtue alone. But we shouldn't get disappointed if it is someone else like Jenifer Kale.

If Illyana is chosen to be the next sorcerer supreme based on her power and friendship and training with Strange, what does that mean for her? Can she be sorcerer supreme of multiple realms of does being the supreme one for earth mean she has to give up on ruling limbo? Would she have to stop being so affiliated with a specific group like mutants or would she be forced to out the good of everyone against the good of krakoa, It's a conflict which has not been explored before. sorcerer vs mutant, what side soes illyana choose

If she becomes the new sorcerer supreme, I'll keep worrying about how harsh the setback would be when the status quo returns.
    Jericho was killed and stayed dead for a while. I hope the new SS will not be set to die or to fail miserably in order to open the way for Stephen.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    If she becomes the new sorcerer supreme, I'll keep worrying about how harsh the setback would be when the status quo returns.
    Jericho was killed and stayed dead for a while. I hope the new SS will not be set to die or to fail miserably in order to open the way for Stephen.
    Good point. Though 2021 has very different politics than even when Jericho became sorcerer supreme and that fits into the equation.

Extraordinary Member

A lot of things depend on how it's handled but Illyana is in a better place than Joshua was. Brother Voodoo was not someone who had a strong connection to Dr. Strange or whose story was naturally leading to him becoming sorcerer supreme. It seemed more random and was even treated as more random in-story since Strange himself had no say and the Eye just went over a list of sorcerers until it got to the 'best' one. Illyana has a connection with Strange which goes back years and the idea that her true endgame or destiny is to be sorcerer supreme of earth has been suggested multiple times.

Another factor is we're in an age where multiple people can have the same identity, so Peter Parker and Miles Morales can coexist as Spider-Man and Laura and Logan can both be Wolverine at the same time. It's not like 10 years ago when Dr. Voodoo had to die so Strange could come back to prominence.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

line it drawn

Extraordinary Member

From X-Men Grand Design, so not strictly canon, but still an interesting 'fill in the blanks' situation. We know Illyana teleported the X-Men into the Morlock tunnels and was there for the first encounter with the Marauders, that she took the first batch of wounded, including Nightcrawler, back to the mansion and then brought Moira over from Scotland to take charge of treating them. It does make some sense for her to continue serving as a one-woman search-and-rescue team, whether on Storm's orders or on her own. And it makes her going with Karma to pick up her little siblings later seem less reckless. If she'd spent 2 hours going back and forth to the scene of the battle going to an above-ground apartment wouldn't seem like a big deal.

Extraordinary Member

Where do people think Illyana will end up with the line's relaunch and probable cancellation of New Mutants in January? Obviously she's not disappearing since she's too important to Krakoa and too many writers love her for that to happen.

Will New Mutants just be relaunched? There's a rumor going around that that'll happen - with Vita Ayala still in charge. Sales have been ok but not great for the current series, and a relaunch could temporarily pick them back up.

Will Illyana be put in a different X-Book? With the line being relaunched, there's plenty of room for cast shuffles and different team dynamics.

Will she become more involved with the mystical side of Marvel and less involved in the X-side? Death of Dr. Strange #4 will supposedly reveal the new sorcerer supreme in late December, so if it is Illyana the timing would line up perfectly with the end of New Mutants and relaunching of the X-line.

Could we finally get that Magik solo? The most unlikely scenario of all, but line relaunches tend to be the best times to launch new solos. Though thinking about it if she does become sorcerer supreme then she should at least get a mini out of it before Strange comes back, if not an actual ongoing. So this may be more likely than it seems, but still very unlikely it would happen if she stays on Krakoa.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 09-15-2021 at 07:12 AM.

Mighty Member

Wow, that would be huge if Magik gets a solo as Dr. Strange.

I hope New Mutants continue and she'd show up there once in a while.

Also, would Pixie get sucked into this book I wonder?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Idk if they'd replace Strange with an X book