Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Inferno #3 Review/Spoilers

Flashback to when Xavier brought Doug to Krakoa. Xavier shows Doug a vision of a future society for mutants ascendance. (Notably, the buildings look similar to what we have now, but less organic.) He leaves Doug to work on language and working with Krakoa. Once he's gone though, Doug and Warlock talk; Warlock doesn't trust Xavier. Doug's sadly agrees.

Later, Doug, Warlock and Krakoa are working out a deal. Warlock expands by eating organic material of the island, while Krakoa feeds on the new bits of Warlock. It's their workaround until everybody is on the island and they can piecemeal-feed Krakoa safely. A month later, the two dead Cuckoos are revived. A month later, Doug explains that Krakoa getting a steady source of food has allowed it to flourish. Doug provided the island with ideas, and Krakoa put them into action by making habitat and gateway flowers. Four months ago, Beast and Doug go on to discuss them; Beast apparently asked Doug to do something. We don't know what it is, but it involves dead bodies and was "super gross."

Two months ago, Krakoa is ready to be announced to the world. Warlock admits that he might have been wrong to doubt the plan. Doug is happy because, despite being ground down and left hopeless by the world, he truly believes in what he's doing. Doug talks to Warlock and Krakoa about No-Places; those tumors where Moira and her ilk can hide away in secret. What Moira and her ilk don't know, is that Warlock will know about them, because Warlock has spread throughout the entire island and acting like a nervous system.

Two days ago, Moira's still butthurt about Destiny being on her island. Straight-up doesn't want her even breathing Krakoan air. Warlock and Doug are listening in, and they're not happy.

Cut to present day, at the White Palace. The Cuckoos meet Mystique and Destiny. The Cuckoos remind them that they weren't invited, but summoned. Mystique explains to Destiny that the Cuckoos are sisters who act as a single unit, and are the first mutant circuit. One of the Cuckoos says that this is wrong; they're not a circuit, but one. They've tried individuality, but they prefer being one. Yes, there's one that wears black - they rotate who does. But that's to make them "more acceptable" to others. Destiny decides to drop some bombs on the girls: two will find love, three will not. One will be changed forever, severed by the other four, in Otherworld. And one of them will never recover from it. Destiny doesn't know which one because she can't tell them apart, repeating the "I can't tell the difference because there isn't one" line one of the Cuckoos said earlier.

Destiny and Mystique hold hands and meet with Emma. Emma's outfit is ugly, but she tells them about how she met with Moira MacTaggert. The others are in disbelief, but Emma explains how it's all possible. She gives them a psychic rundown of how Mystique and Destiny killed Moira in life 3. Mystique panics, but Destiny says, "There's a hole in the world... it's shaped like a person... but inside there is darkness and death and beyond that oblivion -- I see Moira... And I see her terrified of me."

Emma states that Moira's power is annihilating theirs. At any moment, she could destroy everything they made, sacrificed or loved. And she can keep doing it, forever and ever, until she, or Charles and Erik, are satisfied. Mystique thinks they need to be stopped and is willing to listen to Emma. Destiny says that she's just like Charles and Erik, trying to pull their strings. Emma says that she's not trying to ally herself with Destiny and Mystique, but she's not siding with Charles and Erik, either. She's "alone, with all of [her] children." But she does have a gift for them.

The next day, Moira exists her safe house in Paris, but is surrounded by costumed men in guns. They know who she is and say ask if she's heard the story of "the mutant who flew too close to the sun." A story of arrogance and hubris, and a great fall. They take her away to a building and seemingly use an Orchis teleporter to take her somewhere else.

Later, Magneto and Charles meet at Maggy's house. Magneto admits that he's not upset about his role, but he's tired that things will never truly end. Things are good now, but there will never truly be peace or victory because they can't co-exist with others. Charles, however, disagrees. And when they "win," things will be different. They'll be merciful. Magneto doubts that, since they're just two mutants among millions. But Xavier says that they'll be the ones in control - a statement Magneto is unsure of. "You saw how Emma looked at us. She saw right through it. "We always win." She knew immediately that we sold her a lie." Their talk is interrupted when Charles senses Moira being hurt. Magneto finds her location, she's in in an Orchis Node in Terra Verde.

At the Orchis Forge, Omega Sentinel and Nimrod talk. Omega Sentinel knows things will be different this time, because she knows a different history of the world. Nimrod says that she hid it well, but now that he knows, he can't unsee it - the tachyon decay gives her away. He has a lot of questions, but only one seems paramount: where is she from? Omega says, "Mutant hell. And the climb out has been long and perilous." In the future she's from, Karima Shapandar originally achieved full Omega synthesis two years from now, but that has clearly changed. Nimrod is also early. She's hear for him now, before it's too late to prevent any of what happened. She reveals that in the future she's from, mutants always win. Soon, the Children of the Vault will be released and appear to be a dominant threat that can supplant both humans and mutants. They'd fall to Krakoa, and post-humanity would have arrived too early and would have to wait its turn. Nimrod would come a year later and be sent back in time to mess things up. Earth, the entire Sole system, was lost to humans and machines. Mutants won.

All their machine hopes rested in being taken in by the timeless Dominion so they could be saved. But the humans captured celestial powers - life and death - and, using the Phoenix blade wielded by the child of the sun, killed Titan after Titan, Dominion after Dominion. Machines were dead, only Omega Sentinel alone survived. One Titan downloaded her mind and sent it back in time to overwrite our Karima Shapandar. Nimrod surmises that she's the one who's pulling all the strings behind Orchis. She's the Moria to Dr. Killian Devo's Charles, even feeding him lies and half-truths about the future by rewriting his brain.

A chart gives us a timeline. This Omega Sentinel is from Life 10 (A), and we appear to be in Life 10 (B.)

Erik and Charles go to Terra Verde to rescue Moira, stupidly neglecting to bring Hellion. However, once they reach the Orchis base, they find everyone inside knocked out or dead. Moira and Destiny had stopped by ahead of time to save her and claim that Charles and Erik wouldn't by there to save her. "They can't save themselves." Mystique, Destiny and Moira are in a No-Space, and Moira is seen with a missing arm. Seems they cut it off and left it at Orchis lure Charles and Mags into an ambush. Or maybe Orchis cut it off themselves. Or Moira? Orchis minions, Nimrod and Omega Sentinel meet them.

The Krakoan at the end reads MYSTIQUE.

TL;DR: Doug and Warlock know everything. Emma's on her own. Omega Sentinel is the Moira equivalent to Orchis and, according to her, mutants always win. (But since she's a Moira equivalent, she could also be lying through her teeth to get what she wants.) Mystique and Destiny have Moira.

Notes:
    • "Oh don't worry, Douglass, my boy, everything will work out fine. Just like the time you died while I was in space having sex with a bird lady." Hickman's brutal one-liners are underappreciated.

• Mystique ****-talks Emma, saying that she thought she was their confidant, but was just the other woman. "At this point, I'd think you'd grow tired of that."
    Last edited by Rift; 12-08-2021 at 09:41 AM.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Mighty Member

Default Inferno #3 Reviews (SPOILERS)

We start off with flashbacks of Xavier bringing Doug to the island and telling him of his plans.

After Xavier leaves, Warlock and Doug agree that they don't trust him.

As time passes by, the resurrection protocols begin and we see the birth of the Krakoan gates. Doug and Warlock now feel more trusting of Xavier but decide they need backup, and create the No Place. Where Krakoa can not see, but Warlock can. This leads to them learning about Moira. "Damn it" says Doug.

We then see Mystique and Destiny arriving at Emma's. Lots of good one liners from this scene. Anyway, the 5in1 explain that they have gone back too longer differentiating themselves. Destiny then tells them their future. Two will find love. Three will not. One will be forever changed in Otherworld and another will be forever changed after. The 5in1 ask who, but then Destiny tells them she can't tell the difference btw all 5 of them.

Finally they meet Emma, who tells them that Moira is alive. They don't understand this until Emma shows them the memory of them burning and killing Moira. Mystique tells Emma that she should be tired of being the second woman but Emma still won't align with either side, saying she's on her own. Mystique accuses her of sitting this out but then Destiny says Emma has "gifts".

We cut to Moira in France walking out on the street and being kidnapped by ORCHIS crew.

Meanwhile, Magneto and Xavier discuss the future and if they'll ever win this war. They get a distress signal from Moira and she's in Terra Verde at an ORCHIS factory. They head to find her as she seems to be in severe pain.

Meanwhile, at ORCHIS in space, Omega Sentinel and Nimrod discuss who they are. It turns out Omega is from a timeline where mutants always win. In her timeline, the Children of The Vault came out to early and were eventually stopped by a returned Apocalypse and Armageddon. The entire SOL system became dominated by mutants who had taken out machines and enslaved humans, and used the Phoenix Force to take out Celestials and Dominions (the machine Gods).

All machines were wiped out except Omega who traveled to the past to create ORCHIS and activate Nimrod at the right time. They then find out there are intruders at their Terra Verde location and head there to stop mutants.

Magneto and Xavier arrive at Terra Verde and find the ORCHIS crew brutally murdered all over. It turns out Mystique and Destiny have Moira... in the No Place. They tell her Xavier and Magneto will not save her this time.

Cut to Magneto and Xavier at the ORCHIS factory when tons of crew arrive with Nimrod and Omega right behind them.

Mighty Member

Ooh much better review than mine.

It was so obvious that Emma was going to tell Destiny and Mystique about Moira and that the latter was going to get her comeuppance. Still, this was a fantastic issue.

Mighty Member

I feel like the background around this conflict is super engaging, but the actual conflict in "real time" is too nebulous. Like it's too sparse in the here and now.

Like the Doug Stuff and the Karina #(who knows at this point) stuff is really engaging but everything that's happening between destiny, mystique, moira, chuck and erik is... it exists

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Flashback to when Xavier brought Doug to Krakoa. Xavier shows Doug a vision of a future society for mutants ascendance. (Notably, the buildings look similar to what we have now, but less organic.) He leaves Doug to work on language and working with Krakoa.
    Y'know, looking back, they really didn't do anything with the Krakoan language, did they? Like, I know not everyone's Tolkien and has the patience for that sort of worldbuilding, but just think about the practical use? You have a language no one else on Earth uses, let's see them shout orders so enemies don't know what they're plans are, or express Krakoan swears that slip under the radar of racist guests.

Double post.
    Last edited by Mercury; 12-08-2021 at 08:28 AM.

First issue of Inferno that I've loved from start to finish. It was bitter sweet read cause I'm sad to think we're so close to the end of Hickman's time in the office.

Mighty Member

And what was even the point of Colossus being the cliffhanger last issue?

I thought he was finally gonna do something and bam he's out of story already.

There's a LOT going on here. An amazing issue overall.

I just want to point out that I believe the proficy said by Irene to the Cuckoos is related to the creation of black brain telepaths

The timeline is so weird to me. Like everything that has happened - X of Swords, the Gala, etc. - has been within the span of a couple of months? Or maybe I read that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Ooh much better review than mine.
    Nah, mine is rambling. I like yours better.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Y'know, looking back, they really didn't do anything with the Krakoan language, did they? Like, I know not everyone's Tolkien and has the patience for that sort of worldbuilding, but just think about the practical use? You have a language no one else on Earth uses, let's see them shout orders so enemies don't know what they're plans are, or express Krakoan swears that slip under the radar of racist guests.
    We saw them use Krakoan language to mark gateways at the Jerusalem habitat - giving them a way to get around and confuse any non-mutants who try to get around. And I always assumed they spoke Krakoan on Krakoa, as a unifying language. But I completely agree, more should be done. We don't even know how to pronounce the language. And I want swears and slurs. And while we're on the subject, bring Wanda (the slur) back.

Set up for the next era, I assume. I wouldn't be surprised if the use of Terra Verde here might be another X-Force connection, considering it's been relevant in that book. Destiny's comments make me think Quentin and/or Cable aren't done with the Cuckoos, and that one of the Cuckoos might be in Knights of X.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Extraordinary Member

At last we're finally moving.

Poor Colossus. Issue 2's cliffhanger was him joining the council, and he doesn't exist in issue 3.

The Doug and Omega Sentinel stuff is very interesting, especially Omega being the anti-Moira who is repeating timelines where mutants always win. At the same time, that Omega sentinel reveal should have been much earlier in the story. It should have been in issue 1 at the latest, not the end of issue 3.

. This is probably for another story it’s the long game

Astonishing Member

I think it's pretty obvious from this issue that Hickman really had to condense his future plot threads into one mini event. That being said this is definitely my favorite issue and shoutout for to.Hickman for giving Cypher some sense of agency and importance after being sidelined since XoS.

This issue more than any other is definitely the spiritual sequel to HoX/PoX especially with the twist about Omega Seteniel.

Couldn't bring myself to care about the Orchis, Cypher stuff and Xavier/Magneto's boring conversations, but the Emma/Destiny/Mystique alliance was pretty nice.