Page 14 of 33 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I wouldn't really take that Ghost Rider thing to be a real thing. It mostly just feels like Magik humor.

spoilers:
    The fact that she mentions to keep the skull on leads me to believe that. Especially after mentioning doing it after asking Robbie if he needs anybody killed.
    end of spoilers

Also spoilers:
    Belasco has been back for a few years now. At least in this issue, they explain that he's under Magik's watch and prison rather than previous issues where he just seems free to do whatever.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Also, there's one panel that I just don't get. Illyana's talking to Man-Thing, but she's facing away from him and looking at the reader while making a completely out of place macho pose. The panel makes no sense.

Mighty Member

I think I know what panel you mean. I think it's just weird paneling. Otherwise. the issue does a lot for magik.

spoilers:
    Man-thing being a creation of Limbo magic, explains the nexus of all realities. And Magik manages to teleport a legion of monsters across the planet into the sun. And just people remembering that Magik is a Hell Lord is always nice.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Her teleportation feat is pretty cool. Multiple large stepping disks around the planet into which Storm and Thor blow all the contagion. Then it all comes out of a huge stepping disk by the sun. It's hard to get a true sense of the scale, but I think if not for her teleporting the entire SWORD station in X of Swords this would be by far her biggest teleportation feat.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

https://www.cbr.com/kid-superheroes-...nspire-adults/

This article is terrible not because of the list of characters, but because it doesn't say what actually makes these characters worthy of being looked up to. Most of it boils down to 'this person is powerful' or 'this person's comics are successful.'

For Illyana they could have discussed her ability to overcome trauma, or finding the courage to reconnect with loved ones she'd wronged as things even adults should look to emulate. But no, it's all about her 'intense powers.' The same could be said for most of their descriptions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/kid-superheroes-...nspire-adults/

This article is terrible not because of the list of characters, but because it doesn't say what actually makes these characters worthy of being looked up to. Most of it boils down to 'this person is powerful' or 'this person's comics are successful.'

For Illyana they could have discussed her ability to overcome trauma, or finding the courage to reconnect with loved ones she'd wronged as things even adults should look to emulate. But no, it's all about her 'intense powers.' The same could be said for most of their descriptions.
    -
    Quite often I get the feeling that the people who write these kinds of articles don't really understand the things they are writing about.

Extraordinary Member

More spoilery thoughts on yesterday's issue.

Between being the one to finally get through to Ted to make him help, sending the Dark Riders to ensure he wouldn't be alone against Harrower, and providing the portals for Storm and Thor to send the spores into Illyana was essential to every aspect of the good guys' victory. She really made the Avengers look bad after they spent 2 issues fighting the beanstalks and trying to get through to Ted to no avail. It's very amusing to see the Avengers be so useless and then have everything turn around just because 2 mutants from Krakoa showed up, the other being Storm.

I like the dynamic of the Dark Riders as a group that enjoys getting down and dirty and covered in monster guts. I still wish we saw how they were formed instead of them just being presented fully formed. Were these people going through some problems before Illyana decided to launch her 'monster mentorship?' Did one or multiple of them approach Illyana or did she approach them? Given Xavier's complete disregard for the kids of Krakoa I doubt he or the council had anything to do with it.

While this would seem to prove that Illyana would be the perfect person to help the kids struggling with their appearances like Cosmar, none of the kids should be on the Dark Riders as they seem to be specialized for more gory and violent missions.

It seems Illyana was fully aware of what was going on and was waiting for Man-Thing to summon her. I think she'd have been very angry if she'd been pulled out of Krakoa without her consent. She informed the council and had the Dark Riders gathered and ready before she was summoned. I also think she was waiting for him to summon her, though I'm not sure why, maybe she thought proving she was Belasco's replacement would help her convince him to start helping.

There are parallels between what Ted is going through and what Illyana went through in the Zeb Wells New Mutants run in how they both prioritized getting revenge on the demonic forces that ruined their lives over saving the world. The difference is Illyana still saved the world at the same time she was getting her revenge while Ted was going to let the world burn.

'Magik's one mutant armed with a dark sense of humor.' 'I know, they don't stand a chance.' That might be my favorite line from the issue, followed by Stark's 'remind me never to negotiate with the former Queen of Wakanda.'

My thoughts on Illyana's conversation with Ghost Rider. 'First mention of her memory-altering spell since she did it to Stevie Hunter way back when.' Then - 'ah, Superman 2 reference.' Then she tells him to keep the flames on. 'Hmm, she might be a little serious since she seems to have eccentric tastes and gets excited by risks.'

Still dislike Belasco's 'role.' From the end it seems he had found a new hell to rule. It seems Jennifer Kale agrees he'd destroy her in a fair fight. though not sure what she means by 'ower of favors' since this seems to be for Ted's sake and no Illyana's and she's been Ted's friend from the start. I expect that sooner or later Belasco will escape. Despite my complaints about this, a Belasco story from the 90s now makes a bit more sense. Belasco took Cable to the nexus of all realities in the Everglades to warn him of an attempt by S'ym to launch another Inferno.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 05-06-2021 at 12:16 AM.

Mighty Member

I mean, the Avengers weren't completely useless. Spider-man actually managed to get Man-thing to reform himself into a person and not a mass of useless moss and depression.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I mean, the Avengers weren't completely useless. Spider-man actually managed to get Man-thing to reform himself into a person and not a mass of useless moss and depression.
    That speech was great.Loved Spider-man in the tie-in.This one just gave him a one liners that made him sound like a greedy for credit but you can't win them all.Magik was great.Would have loved to Spider-man(Peter Parker obv) interact with Shark girl as he was her teacher and Magik since the phoenix debacle

Astonishing Member

Thor to send the spores into Illyana was essential to every aspect of the good guys' victory. She really made the Avengers look bad after they spent 2 issues fighting the beanstalks and trying to get through to Ted to no avail. It's very amusing to see the Avengers be so useless and then have everything turn around just because 2 mutants from Krakoa showed up, the other being Storm.
    It certainly feels somewhat favored towards Illyanna and to a degree the X-men, at the cost of the Avengers and Spiderman somewhat.

While i'm X-men centric myself when it comes to super heros, i do not like the kind of tribalism that seems to have formed around favoring certain hero teams, groups or individuals, where some people will elevate their favorit over the others and try to argue why said others are so much worse than theirs.

Which has also seems to be the case with some writers too. Though this is not meant towards Orlando, since i don't know enough of his writing to judge, but about what i percieve as a situation in general.

However a bit of balancing can be seen in how moraly problematic the mutants are presented this story, with the X-men having to vote with their villains on what ever they are "allowed" to save mankind. Though this seem to work in Illyana's favor too, seeing how she is bypassing all the "politics".
    One of her "monsters" is even shown putting their priority on saving everyone, again not knowing that the leadership is debating what ever they should.

I like the dynamic of the Dark Riders as a group that enjoys getting down and dirty and covered in monster guts. I still wish we saw how they were formed instead of them just being presented fully formed. Were these people going through some problems before Illyana decided to launch her 'monster mentorship?' Did one or multiple of them approach Illyana or did she approach them? Given Xavier's complete disregard for the kids of Krakoa I doubt he or the council had anything to do with it.
    It's quite odd how out of nowhere they seem to appear, especialy since every other teams in the current status quo was either shown getting formed or had been mentioned before getting formed. But the Dark Riders just appear with the only previous hint of their existence being Marrow and Shark Girl interacting and wearing matching uniforms in that one Woman of Marvel short story.

Which means in both cases so far they were only shown outside the regular X-men comics. So yes, there is a bit of an untold story with this team.

There is also the bit where Marrow is trying to nudge Illyana into turning into her Darkchild self, which as far as i recall only happend once in the current status quo and that involuntarily back in the Empyre mini series (unless i missed a moment in Strange Academy), where none of the Dark Riders were present.
    Is she drawing from common knowledge? Has she witnessed her turning demon before (like in the last Uncanny X-men series)? Or is this actualy related to how the team formed?
    Again it can feel like some story is missing here.

The "Monster Mentorship" part also made me notice that the team is somewhat like a middle ground between Fallen Angels and Hellions.

They seem to be very eager to fight and go wild, resembling the original premise of Fallen Angels being about mutants who feel unhappy in the peacefull krakoan society, but also made up of former villains and/or animal mutants (with related instincts), potentialy making them "problem mutants" akin to the Hellions.

Actualy i could actualy imagine the Dark Riders later showing up in Hellions to oppose them when Sinister might go through his big plan.

While this would seem to prove that Illyana would be the perfect person to help the kids struggling with their appearances like Cosmar, none of the kids should be on the Dark Riders as they seem to be specialized for more gory and violent missions.
    Yeah they seem more like they could help the kids a bit as guardians or emotional support than being a good place for them.

Which makes Shark Girl's and Wolf Cub's inclusion a bit irresponcible looking. But if it's in the context of both suffering from some kind of "animal urges" because of their mutations they team could be seen as outlet for them.

It seems Illyana was fully aware of what was going on and was waiting for Man-Thing to summon her. I think she'd have been very angry if she'd been pulled out of Krakoa without her consent. She informed the council and had the Dark Riders gathered and ready before she was summoned. I also think she was waiting for him to summon her, though I'm not sure why, maybe she thought proving she was Belasco's replacement would help her convince him to start helping.
    For some reason i had to imagine her having someone drop off a note to Storm reading: "Brb. Help Man-Thing clean up his act. Saving humanity in the process. Take Dark Riders with me. Pls. Help out Avengers. Love: Illyana."

Extraordinary Member

I'm pretty sure Illyana's darkchild form is common knowledge to everyone whose been on an X-team before the Krakoa era. I can see the newbies like Cosmar and Fauna not knowing about it, but anyone with any knowledge of Inferno or anyone who was around from 2007-2019 has to know.

I wonder if Illyana's newfound self-confidence is changing her attitude towards relationships. I've always taken her reluctance to let people get close as her feeling like she was too damaged and dangerous to be in a relationship. But if she's really feeling better about herself, then maybe she's starting to allow herself to want that sort of thing. Maybe that's why she's started making all these jokes about making out. The entire dynamic of the New Mutants has been flipped on its head with her being the only member of the current team not depressed or going through a crisis.

What comic(s) did she study with Dr. Strange?

I'm pretty sure Illyana's darkchild form is common knowledge to everyone whose been on an X-team before the Krakoa era
    Or saw the whole "I'm the queen of the dead" Empyre thing
    Static Pulse: That's why I like you. You're like four degrees away from being a William Gibson protagonist.
    Old board post count: 2,089

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scavenger View Post
    What comic(s) did she study with Dr. Strange?

Or saw the whole "I'm the queen of the dead" Empyre thing
    She started in Uncanny Vol. 3 # 7. Most of the training was off-panel. We saw bits of it in issue 15 and issue 29.

Extraordinary Member

Illyana has a small but major role in X-Factor #9 in which she gets her revenge for Mojo making her Pog ur Pog's love interest.