Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Judging by the interview this team was gathered not to fight, but to assist other 'monster mutants' who are new to this like Cosmar. Maybe the whole thing with Cosmar and the Shadow King is what compels Illyana to put them together.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarmagik View Post
    Going through her wiki it seems like Shark girl can transform into a Shark but not into a human. Like her shark-humanoid form is the most human she ever looks.
    IIRC the can turn full human, but she almost never does it because she prefers the hybrid form.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I guess it's supposed to highlight her nature as an occult warrior kind of character, but it does look somewhat odd, as the art stlye could have more easily worked when applying it to her demonic form.

I really like it!

it's ok if you don't like an artist style but I enjoy it. She doesn't have to look like a demon to be rough, and this artist just doesn't do the typical more feminine comic-look and that's fine on my books.

I like the cover. It's nice to see a heroine drawn with a level of grittiness and intensity that's usually reserved for male characters.

Astonishing Member

I've seen Magik get called "The X-men's Sorceress Supreme", which kinda makes sense seeing how the other mutant with heavy focus on magic had been retconned out of being a mutant, but makes me wonder if she could teach the Dark Riders any sorcery or magic spells?

Half the team are allready well suited for animal totems or spirits, one member can quad wield magic gestures and one member would have no problem with either blood sacrifices or finding bones for enchanting.

Of course i'm aware that her teaching Pixie a teleportation spell was a unique situation (at least it was retconned to be so) when it turns out she is half human (mutant) and half fairy, making her naturaly capable at magic.
    But still one spell and it put her into an entirely different league.

Though i could see the editors veto such a thing, since it would mean Magik offpannel managed to make greater strides in "mutant magic" than Excalibur in 12+ issues.

Extraordinary Member

Pixie also had the 'benefit' of having part of her soul converted into a bloodstone, which also increased her potential for magic. Illyana is officially a teacher of magic at Strange Academy, so there's nothing stopping her from teaching mutants on Krakoa if they have the aptitude for it.

At this point I wonder if she has the time for such a thing. Between being a captain, transporting people around like taking Wolverine to Mars, taking care of/training the youth in the Sextant, teaching at Strange Academy, and helping Dr. Strange prepare for the big fight against Kulan Gath her schedule is full even without factoring in whatever she's doing with the Dark Riders. I think recent comics have strongly implied she does not get enough sleep because of her busy schedule. There's her newfound coffee addiction, her complaining that it's too early when disciplining the bullies, and her remark that Sadurang was the most relatable person she met recently because he just wanted to take a nap. Maybe that's why everyone else is having nightmares except for her - because she doesn't have time to sleep!

If that was all done intentionally, then that's some great dedication to continuity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Pixie also had the 'benefit' of having part of her soul converted into a bloodstone, which also increased her potential for magic. Illyana is officially a teacher of magic at Strange Academy, so there's nothing stopping her from teaching mutants on Krakoa if they have the aptitude for it.

At this point I wonder if she has the time for such a thing. Between being a captain, transporting people around like taking Wolverine to Mars, taking care of/training the youth in the Sextant, teaching at Strange Academy, and helping Dr. Strange prepare for the big fight against Kulan Gath her schedule is full even without factoring in whatever she's doing with the Dark Riders. I think recent comics have strongly implied she does not get enough sleep because of her busy schedule. There's her newfound coffee addiction, her complaining that it's too early when disciplining the bullies, and her remark that Sadurang was the most relatable person she met recently because he just wanted to take a nap. Maybe that's why everyone else is having nightmares except for her - because she doesn't have time to sleep!
    There's precedence for Magik giving up sleep before, after the New Mutant death and resurrection by the Beyonder.

The New Mutants were having terrifying nightmares, so Illyana took the simple solution, and stopped sleeping.

Last time, though, I saw no evidence of coffee consumption, which seems like a large part of her current designs.

On the other hand, now that the nightmare issue isn't a thing, she could just sleep in Limbo, using time travel and different rates of dimensional time flow, and be awake 24/7 on Earth itself. (On the other hand, the Moira situation suggested time travel is mildly forbidden, so she might not be into reminding people of her full abilities.)

in New Mutants 14 Dani mentions she's been drinking too much of the krakoan coffee, worried that it might be affecting her crankiness.

Incredible Member

S'ym's daughter 'Dessy' makes an appearance in Strange Academy, as well as S'ym himself, on a 'Family Day' invitational event.

A step up from wallpaper and zero Illyana, but I like the series, and have no idea what S'ym's family life must be like.

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    S'ym's daughter 'Dessy' makes an appearance in Strange Academy, as well as S'ym himself, on a 'Family Day' invitational event.

A step up from wallpaper and zero Illyana, but I like the series, and have no idea what S'ym's family life must be like.
    What a missed opportunity

Extraordinary Member

This is what Illyana will be wearing to the Hellfire Gala.

Nice. Seems like she's using magic to have the fabric flowing around her. I like how the ones around her head are forming horns.