Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Attachment 111247

This is from a book called Spellbound, a 6-issue mini from 1988, specifically issue 4. It was written by Lousie Simonson, the writer of New Mutants from the time Claremont left until past Inferno.

This answers pretty much every question about Illyana Simonson's New Mutants run. Even though she was Claremont's editor for the Magik mini, she had really forgotten much of it, including the fact that Illyana spared Belasco's life at the end, and she didn't look at a copy to make sure she was getting things right. This is why Illyana had no problems sending people to Limbo or setting out with the intention of murdering Forge - Simonson truly thought Illyana was a killer of her foes. This might even be why N'Astirh was created. If she really thought Belasco was dead then someone new was needed. It's no wonder in Inferno she forgot that Illyana had been in Limbo for 3 years and had 2 bloodstones made from her soul by the time S'ym first punished her or that Belasco started corrupting her soul seconds after dragging her to Limbo so there was no innocent Illyana for the New Mutants to rescue before she could be corrupted or that S'ym wouldn't dare kill Illyana during her punishments because he wouldn't anger Belasco by killing his apprentice.

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of this is that this forgetfulness was probably so influential on how Illyana has been characterized since then. Her psychopathic Exiles version, the cold-blooded House of M version, even her willingness to kill in the years since her return, are likely a direct result of authors taking from a run where Simonson forgot that Illyana let Belasco go.
    Bob Harras was Simonson’s editor for New Mutants. Harass wanted all mutants with ties to
    magic or cosmic powers out, and he ultimately wanted to focus on DOFP as the future. It’s obvious why he basically killed Illyana off twice.

But yes, Illyana under Claremont was not a killer as she did not want to condemn herself by killing Belasco.

Still, later writers had to do best could with Simonson’s continuity. Magik fought her way back from being the Darkchilde upon her resurrection. This time she killed Belasco.

Mighty Member

Magik is a character that had gone through a variety of looks through art styles. What are your favorite issues or storylines where you felt Magik was drawn that actually impressed you with the artist?

I feel its easy to drop some of the more recently popularized and elevated names (Schiti, Larraz, Silva, etc) so I'll throw a few names into the ring of artists that have 'impressed' me.

Filipe Andrade - for the What If issue(s)

Diogenes Neves - from the first volume of Zeb Wells run

And this VERY specific image of Illyana by Rod Ries

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I feel its easy to drop some of the more recently popularized and elevated names (Schiti, Larraz, Silva, etc) so I'll throw a few names into the ring of artists that have 'impressed' me.

Filipe Andrade - for the What If issue(s)

Diogenes Neves - from the first volume of Zeb Wells run

And this VERY specific image of Illyana by Rod Ries
    Cool pics! Yea I noticed that she is one of those characters that I feel has a unique look to her, and it’s interesting to see which artists can make her unique look look really amazing

Spectacular Member

Scott Eaton

Attachment 112067

Extraordinary Member

There were some nice realistic covers of he towards the end of the Zeb Wells run.

Marko Djurdjevic

Dave Wilkins

I am only reading New Mutants and none of the other X-Men stuff so I have a question. Can Magik still time travel? Is Magik considered a Omega level teleporter yet?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    I am only reading New Mutants and none of the other X-Men stuff so I have a question. Can Magik still time travel? Is Magik considered a Omega level teleporter yet?
    Given that a substantial portion of Magik's powerset is poured into being underestimated, my read is she is not believed to time travel, and is not widely considered to be Omega, whether or not she grunts real loud when transporting space stations and schools between dimensions (More specifically, Cable asked her for an interdimensional lift which she granted in exchange for a 'marker', but she refused to give Logan a time travel ticket regardless of some yelling.)

(Asking other magic users for help to move the School for Gifted Youngsters to Limbo is an example of the lengths Illyana goes to in order to be underestimated. Like Scotty of ST:TOS, if everyone knows it's easy for you, they won't do any of the work, and they'll never learn to fly if not pushed out of the nest.)
    Last edited by G0RM; 08-05-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    Yes, she can still time travel. It's part of her powerset and unlike her mental shielding was not forgotten after she came back in 2007. The last time she did it was in New Mutants Dead Souls when she accidentally teleported a jet a week into the future. It is something she would only do if she had a very good reason and she would probably have to report to the council every time she did.

She is not on the official list of Omega-level mutants, so she is not an Omega-level teleporter. She could teleport the entire universe into another multiverse and it wouldn't matter as long as she isn't on the official list.

Amazing Member

Now that we know that the NM movie won't be integrated into the MCU, do you think they'll entirely ditch the members of the New mutants or do could they have their own introduction? I wouldn't mind a character reboot for Yana, but I wonder if they'll completely ignore the new mutants from now on.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
    Now that we know that the NM movie won't be integrated into the MCU, do you think they'll entirely ditch the members of the New mutants or do could they have their own introduction? I wouldn't mind a character reboot for Yana, but I wonder if they'll completely ignore the new mutants from now on.
    Hopefully The New Mutants will be totally ignored by the MCU and remain the characters from the comics we know.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pallas View Post
    The New Mutants as a concept is done. Boone wasted their one shot at it. The only chance it has at some kind of revival is as a tv show, and even that is almost certainly never going to happen after the fiasco that was the movie. It's not like Batman where the property is so big they'd give it another chance after something like Batman and Robin.

The individual characters might have a shot at being included in the MCU X-Men though. Magik has the best shot at being included since she's been such a prominent X-Man since the Gillen run on Cyclops and Storm's teams, she's by far the most marketable of the New Mutants, and Anya Taylor Joy's performance is the only part of the movie that got generally positive reviews. The rest, if they're included, will likely be as bit parts like Sunspot in Days of Future Past. At this point there's no reason to feature Sunspot over any super-strong X-Man or Cannonball over anyone else who can fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Magik is a character that had gone through a variety of looks through art styles. What are your favorite issues or storylines where you felt Magik was drawn that actually impressed you with the artist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    The classic artists speak for themselves - Sienkiewicz, Arthur Adams being probably the foremost in shaping Illyana visually. More recently Bachalo and Anka reinvented some of her visual signatures. As my dark horse recent favorite, I really dug the work Frasier Irving did with her on his issues of Bendis' Uncanny X-Men.

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Extraordinary Member

Another story I'd love to see if they launched a Magik series now - an homage to Uncanny #153 where Kitty told her fairy tale and Uncanny Annual #8 where Illyana told her sci-fi tale by telling a similar story to the kids of Krakoa around a campfire. Th adults like Kitty and Storm could hear about it and turn up to listen in since Illyana's first story helped them out of their funks back in the 80s.