Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Inferno variant cover

Pretty pic
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Incredible Member

After today's issue of Inferno I feel Illyana's chances of becoming sorcerer supreme of earth have gone up. Given that she's done so much more than Bishop and has had a better working relationship with Cyclops these last 2 years, promoting Bishop over her makes the most sense if she's leaving the X-books soon.
    Will she get a cape.

Incredible Member

What does everyone think about Shadow King vs. Magik in New Mutants?

Is she still throwing fights?

Have her 'Extraordinarily Powerful and Sophisticated Psionic Shields' gone away completely now?

Or is she playing a Long Game?

Extraordinary Member

Writers have ignored the existence of her psyshields for longer than they were in existence at this point.

There is a larger question about why the New Mutants are putting up with Farouk's games and let themselves be put in this situation. Ostensibly they came to talk, so why are they in his head and being put to these tests and why are they playing along with them?

Incredible Member

Writers have ignored the existence of her psyshields for longer than they were in existence at this point.

There is a larger question about why the New Mutants are putting up with Farouk's games and let themselves be put in this situation. Ostensibly they came to talk, so why are they in his head and being put to these tests and why are they playing along with them?
    Because they are curious about what he's really after.

Extraordinary Member

https://screenrant.com/best-relation...comics-ranked/

Illyana and Kitty ranked the 5th-best relationship in X-Men, but ranked below Kitty and Rachel.

What do people consider great moments in the Illyana-Kitty friendship?

The first such moment to me is when Illyana took back the dark parts of her soul in order to save Kitty in New Mutants 36. This was her giving up the thing she wanted most in the world to save her friend. And then it was capped off with Kitty's total faith in Illyana.

There was Kitty overcoming Mojo's mind control because she saw Illyana was in trouble.

A bit of a different kind of moment, but Illyana telling Kitty that her jokes about how dark and mysterious she is actually hurts her I think is an extremely important moment. I believe it's the first time we see Illyana actually defend herself when someone takes a swipe at her for being off. Before that she's either ignore it and suffer silently or just agree. Maybe she'd tease the other person back, but this is the first time she went out and said she had feelings too. For Kitty it was important as well. They had patched things up after BOTA. but this was when Kitty truly got over her resentment over what Illyana did with the Elder Gods and accepted that her best friend was back. After this she'd no longer instinctively phase if Illyana tried to hug her.

Lastly, 'You may not have become my sister-in-law, but you'll always be my sister.'

What are other people's favorite moments between these 2?

Extraordinary Member

From the fridging thread, Illyana's lack of a reaction to Roberto's death in War of the Realms has always bothered me. The only person who is allowed to mourn him in the story is Dani, but it should have been a big deal for Illyana. He sacrificed himself not even to save her or because they were friends, but to restore her to full power. Does she resent herself for what happened, does she resent him for doing what he did, does it make her question whether she was worth doing that for, does she curse her powers as a result.

War of the Realms Uncanny X-Men is a weird story. It seems like a Dani story at first, but other than her being the reason the X-Men teleport to New York she's irrelevant to the plot. The story is actually about Illyana and Rahne, Illyana because both sides want her power and Rahne because the return of her love and son presents a moral dilemma for her. The resolution of the plot is the restoration of Illyana's powers and Rahne's choice. Having it end with Dani mourning while Illyana and Rahne are seemingly unaffected goes against the entire story.

Spectacular Member

After today's issue of Inferno I feel Illyana's chances of becoming sorcerer supreme of earth have gone up. Given that she's done so much more than Bishop and has had a better working relationship with Cyclops these last 2 years, promoting Bishop over her makes the most sense if she's leaving the X-books soon.
    Noooooo, she can’t leave the X-teams again. She was gone for way too long to not have her a functioning team mate of any of the teams. That would be a bummer….

Would they really do that, for any given reason, given her popularity?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookfan5878 View Post
    Noooooo, she can’t leave the X-teams again. She was gone for way too long to not have her a functioning team mate of any of the teams. That would be a bummer….

Would they really do that, for any given reason, given her popularity?
    As I said, it would be if she becomes the new sorcerer supreme of Earth after the Death of Doctor Strange. Right now I think the odds are around 50-50. Either way, she's not going away.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Went back to some old comics, and re-read the Excalibur story "The Soulsword Trilogy", where Kitty found the sword had bound to her, and Daytripper managed to convince her to give it up.

Was anything ever done with Shrill, the sorceress who had the soulsteel eye, and would be in great pain each time the sword was drawn?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Went back to some old comics, and re-read the Excalibur story "The Soulsword Trilogy", where Kitty found the sword had bound to her, and Daytripper managed to convince her to give it up.

Was anything ever done with Shrill, the sorceress who had the soulsteel eye, and would be in great pain each time the sword was drawn?
    No. That entire era of the soul sword with Amanda, the Winding Way, 'soul steel,' and the like is pretty much ignored and everything Daytripper said about the sword not having anything of Illyana in it were proven false when Illyana literally reclaimed part of her soul by getting the soul sword back. I suspect everyone at Marvel who knows about that story would rather pretend it never happened than do anything with any of the ideas or new characters from it.

No. That entire era of the soul sword with Amanda, the Winding Way, 'soul steel,' and the like is pretty much ignored and everything Daytripper said about the sword not having anything of Illyana in it were proven false when Illyana literally reclaimed part of her soul by getting the soul sword back. I suspect everyone at Marvel who knows about that story would rather pretend it never happened than do anything with any of the ideas or new characters from it.
    Hmmm...thanks for that info. While I know that Krakoa is strictly for mutants, I had been thinking there may be an interesting dynamic if Daytripper (if that's what she still goes by) were to show up. Given her past with the X-men, Nightcrawler in particular, I was wondering if anything would take place between Daytripper and Magik.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    Hmmm...thanks for that info. While I know that Krakoa is strictly for mutants, I had been thinking there may be an interesting dynamic if Daytripper (if that's what she still goes by) were to show up. Given her past with the X-men, Nightcrawler in particular, I was wondering if anything would take place between Daytripper and Magik.
    I doubt we'll ever see them interact. In the 80s they didn't even interact in the issue where they were both sent as magical backup to help the X-Men fight the dire wraiths, and they didn't interact in Quest for Magik or afterwards. It was a mistake to make Amanda Magik in the first place and Marvel seems to have realized that, which is a big part of why Amanda has been absent for so long and is unlikely to return unless a writer who really likes her as Nightcrawler's girlfriend comes along and wants her back in that capacity.

Amanda is the weirdest legacy character I have ever seen. Usually a legacy character is younger than the original and inspired by the original in some way. Miles Morales, Kamela Khan, all the Robins, the Batgirls, Batman Beyond, ect. You might have the original serving as the 'guy in the chair' for the new character like older Bruce Wayne or crippled Barbara Gordon. Magik is the only case I know of where an adult took on the identity of a child and not the other way around. The way they went about making her Magik was terrible with the retcons about the soul sword being hugely disrespectful to Illyana. And to top it all off, Amanda brought nothing to the role. She didn't have the past with Limbo and demons like S'ym, or the tragic elements and internal struggle that made Illyana compelling. Once she was put in Limbo, there was nothing to do with her but keep her in Limbo. So a few years later they brought the original Magik back, undid all the retcons that got Amanda into the role, and have seen a complete 180 from the failure of Amanda as Magik to the success they've seen with Illyana. Looking back I can't understand what they were thinking and it would have been better for Amanda as a character to have continued if she had stayed Daytripper instead of being forced into a role that never made sense for her.

I doubt we'll ever see them interact. In the 80s they didn't even interact in the issue where they were both sent as magical backup to help the X-Men fight the dire wraiths, and they didn't interact in Quest for Magik or afterwards. It was a mistake to make Amanda Magik in the first place and Marvel seems to have realized that, which is a big part of why Amanda has been absent for so long and is unlikely to return unless a writer who really likes her as Nightcrawler's girlfriend comes along and wants her back in that capacity.

Amanda is the weirdest legacy character I have ever seen. Usually a legacy character is younger than the original and inspired by the original in some way. Miles Morales, Kamela Khan, all the Robins, the Batgirls, Batman Beyond, ect. You might have the original serving as the 'guy in the chair' for the new character like older Bruce Wayne or crippled Barbara Gordon. Magik is the only case I know of where an adult took on the identity of a child and not the other way around. The way they went about making her Magik was terrible with the retcons about the soul sword being hugely disrespectful to Illyana. And to top it all off, Amanda brought nothing to the role. She didn't have the past with Limbo and demons like S'ym, or the tragic elements and internal struggle that made Illyana compelling. Once she was put in Limbo, there was nothing to do with her but keep her in Limbo. So a few years later they brought the original Magik back, undid all the retcons that got Amanda into the role, and have seen a complete 180 from the failure of Amanda as Magik to the success they've seen with Illyana. Looking back I can't understand what they were thinking and it would have been better for Amanda as a character to have continued if she had stayed Daytripper instead of being forced into a role that never made sense for her.
    Totally agree with you. I must admit, I never read the stories with Amanda in Limbo. I did read up on it, when exploring her character, and couldn't understand why that decision was even made. She had no connection to Limbo or the Soulsword, only Yana could have those connections.

Not going to derail Magik's thread with this topic, I think we can all agree that Limbo and the title of Magik is Yana's and always will be. That being said, I would like to see Amanda become a presence in the X-books again to some capacity, in her Daytripper role.

Daytripper actually came back in the Nightcrawler series written by Claremont and is currently trapped in heaven because of the abandoned storyline lol.